Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2014   #2061
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78568 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Only on the texanstalk messageboard does it mean nothing. Get back at me when you can hit a 80+ MPH curve...or a 90+ MPH fastball 2 out of 10 times...better yet, get back at me when 2 different teams think enough of your athleticism to draft you in the MLB draft twice as they did with Wilson...Doubt manziel was seeing that kind of interest as a baseball prospect in high school.

Sure a few of the athletic skills needed to excel in each sport are different, but athleticism manifests itself in many different skill sets..The ability to transfer that skill set in 1 sport to another sport is skill and another form of athleticism all its own...that's what made guys like Deion & Bo Jackson that much better athletically than their counterparts who only really could focus on that 1 sport. Wilson's not quite in that stratosphere athletically, but it's the ability to do that..which puts him well above JFF as an athlete in that realm.
Mr T I don't often agree with your take but I think you're spot on there.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
Old 02-05-2014   #2062
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans MUST TAKE Manziel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't understand the Carr love. All he's got is size & arm. Other than that, he's a project. Doesn't make sense he's a first round prospect but guys like Murray & Boyd are 3rd rounders at best. Mettenberger's got a knee issue. If that clears up by draft time, as far as being able to play in 2014, it would make more sense to me that he'd be taken before Carr.
He's the most physically gifted of the first round prospects at QB. He just left the Senior Bowl with glowing reviews of his character, football IQ, work ethic, leadership and coachability. His college production leaves little to be desired.

Every prospect has their flaws, but I see fewer and more easily fixed problems in Carr's game than Manziel's. He's skittish under pressure and needs to work on his deep ball accuracy. Those are things that coaches believe that can fix.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Old 02-05-2014   #2063
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78568 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans MUST TAKE Manziel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
He's the most physically gifted of the first round prospects at QB. He just left the Senior Bowl with glowing reviews of his character, football IQ, work ethic, leadership and coachability. His college production leaves little to be desired.

Every prospect has their flaws, but I see fewer and more easily fixed problems in Carr's game than Manziel's. He's skittish under pressure and needs to work on his deep ball accuracy. Those are things that coaches believe that can fix.
Yeah, that 'believe' part. Who's gonna stake their job on it? I'm just wondering out loud because I know someone will. I've read where big brother schooled him on how not to screw it up like he did. Things like "first there, last to leave" and things of that nature. It's all in his court. I'd like to see Derrick do well.

On another team.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
Old 02-05-2014   #2064
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 116197 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Love how you avoid the much more analogous and obvious comparison - it will be Vince Young 2.0 all over again.

But since you go with Randy Moss for some inexplicable reason, how many SB rings does Randy have?

Now how many rings for teams that passed on him (which doesn't include the Texans since they didn't exist)? - that would be 10.

So what's your point?

That's because imbeciles need entertainment too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Demonstrably BS since Moss went through 5 teams who wouldn't put up with his crap despite his on-field talent.

Well gee, I know it is subtle:

Texans 1.1
Texas QB from simple system with resume bolstered by a great deal of running.
Top DE in competition for 1.1 with great athleticism and a questionable motor.
Neither has shown any suicide predilection pre-draft

Clearly a cancer like Moss is a better comparison.
Circumstances may be similar, but the players are nothing alike, either in build, arm strength, offenses run, yardage passed for....should I go on?

I enjoy a good beat-down as well, but comparing Manziel to VY is just plain silly.

And for the love of God folks, please stop posting about guys who were drafted as baseball players and how they are just "better athletes" and more successful in the NFL.

Brandon Weeden ring a bell? Chris Weinke?
Old 02-05-2014   #2065
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Circumstances may be similar, but the players are nothing alike, either in build, arm strength, offenses run, yardage passed for....should I go on?

I enjoy a good beat-down as well, but comparing Manziel to VY is just plain silly.

And for the love of God folks, please stop posting about guys who were drafted as baseball players and how they are just "better athletes" and more successful in the NFL.

Brandon Weeden ring a bell? Chris Weinke?
But they played two sports so they have to be better athletes. That is rule!!!!!

Sarcasm
Old 02-05-2014   #2066
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88085 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
But they played two sports so they have to be better athletes. That is rule!!!!!

Sarcasm

Add Drew Henson to that list as well.....still does not mean that those guys weren't superior athletes to their counterparts b/c they failed.
Old 02-05-2014   #2067
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post

Sounds to me like obrien made that take without any evidence whatsoever and just wanted to pollute the air. Stephen A said it best, if you dont like johnny football as a player, just say that. Dont make baseless accusations like he doesnt believe in his work ethic just to slander the guy.
If Bill O'Brien said anything (remember we're talking about an article written by someone who says he knows a guy who knows a guy), he said he didn't know... & he doesn't know.

The friend of a friend did not say O'Brien said Manziel had poor work ethic, he said O'Brien said he doesn't know. That's not slander.
Old 02-05-2014   #2068
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Add Drew Henson to that list as well.....still does not mean that those guys weren't superior athletes to their counterparts b/c they failed.
Does not mean they were superior either.
Old 02-05-2014   #2069
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Does anybody know where I can find a energy source strong enough to supply 1.21 gigawatts of power so I can blast the **** out of 2006?
Old 02-05-2014   #2070
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88085 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Does not mean they were superior either.
Sure it can.....if you can perform at the highest level of 2 different sports as a pro its a safe bet you're likely a better athlete than most...just b/c you have it in spades doesnt mean you'll be able to translate it into success. See guys like Chris Rainey and to a lesser extent Trindon Holiday who aren't quite good enough in track and field to win gold in the Olympics but still athletic enough to land jobs in the NFL...albeit barely hanging on by a thread.
Old 02-05-2014   #2071
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109144 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post

Does anybody know where I can find a energy source strong enough to supply 1.21 gigawatts of power so I can blast the **** out of 2006?
For the record the Manziel mania is a bit more subdued than the VY craziness. I know there are a few other Ags on the board and I know I'm not the only one who doesn't want Manziel at 1-1.

Also I'm fairly sure OP isn't an Ag.
Old 02-05-2014   #2072
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
For the record the Manziel mania is a bit more subdued than the VY craziness. I know there are a few other Ags on the board and I know I'm not the only one who doesn't want Manziel at 1-1.

Also I'm fairly sure OP isn't an Ag.
I don't not want Manziel, I just want Teddy or Clowney more. If we were to select Manziel I would actually be pretty happy, but he isn't my first choice at this point in time.

Everyone seems to want to make the Russell Wilson to Johnny comparison, but other than their height I don't really see many similarities. Bridgewater reminds me more of Wilson than Johnny does.
Old 02-05-2014   #2073
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109144 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
I don't not want Manziel, I just want Teddy or Clowney more. If we were to select Manziel I would actually be pretty happy, but he isn't my first choice at this point in time.

Everyone seems to want to make the Russell Wilson to Johnny comparison, but other than their height I don't really see many similarities. Bridgewater reminds me more of Wilson than Johnny does.
Agreed on both counts - which is why I said I don't want Manziel at 1-1. I'd take him in a trade down, or where he really belongs 1-10 or 1-11 (which will not happen, IMO). But I still am wary of how much bust potential is there, because of his style of play.

Bridgewater is my 1st choice QB hands-down though.
Old 02-05-2014   #2074
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Great post definitely the way I feel as most Texans fans do.
Old 02-05-2014   #2075
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Agreed on both counts - which is why I said I don't want Manziel at 1-1. I'd take him in a trade down, or where he really belongs 1-10 or 1-11 (which will not happen, IMO). But I still am wary of how much bust potential is there, because of his style of play.
Yeah I gotcha, and if we could conceivably get him plus a draft pick in a theoretical trade down, I would be all for it...But, personally I think there is very little to no chance that we trade out of our 1.1 pick, so in my mind if we are getting one of the "Big 4" it will be there or not at all.

I also think there is very little chance we take Manziel regardless of my opinion on him, I just don't think he is the right fit for this team and the offense O'Brien plans to run, plus all this "keep Johnny in Texas" hoopla hurts the cause more than helps.

I love the kid though and A&M will forever be in his "debt" for how much he helped advance our program in just two short years, and I will root hard for him where ever he goes.
Old 02-05-2014   #2076
matts290
Veteran

Also I was thinking about it today, I think another risk that comes attached with Manziel at #1 is just how much he will be asked to do from day as opposed to the other two guys. If I picture Manziel coming here via our 1.1 pick, I feel like so much more will be expected of him right away whereas Bortles or Bridgewater will be given more leniency and time to grow.

If Bridgewater were to come in and throw for 3500 yards, 24 touchdowns, 12 INTs and 61% completion, most people would be satisfied that and call it a successful rookie year. However if Manziel put up those same numbers I think a lot of people would view it as pedestrian by his standards and say he hasn't lived up the the first overall pick.

Maybe I am just tired but it seems like a legitimate theory.
Old 02-06-2014   #2077
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 116197 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sure it can.....if you can perform at the highest level of 2 different sports as a pro its a safe bet you're likely a better athlete than most...just b/c you have it in spades doesnt mean you'll be able to translate it into success. See guys like Chris Rainey and to a lesser extent Trindon Holiday who aren't quite good enough in track and field to win gold in the Olympics but still athletic enough to land jobs in the NFL...albeit barely hanging on by a thread.
Your assumption is that the other athletes couldn't perform at that level in multiple sports. I tend to think it's more about training than athleticism.

The Bo Jackson's of the world are the exceptions, they aren't the rule. He was a world-class 60m sprinter, fair to good in MLB and great in the NFL.

Quote:

Wilson still runs forward more often than Teddy B., so I get the Manziel analogy. Both Teddy and Wilson handle the blitz extremely well.

Quote:
Also I was thinking about it today, I think another risk that comes attached with Manziel at #1 is just how much he will be asked to do from day as opposed to the other two guys. If I picture Manziel coming here via our 1.1 pick, I feel like so much more will be expected of him right away whereas Bortles or Bridgewater will be given more leniency and time to grow.
I don't see it. Whoever comes in is going to be expected to be the "savior". Saint O'Brien will be expected to make them the next Brady. The pressure is going to suck if whoever gets picked isn't ready.
Old 02-06-2014   #2078
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:

If Bridgewater were to come in and throw for 3500 yards, 24 touchdowns, 12 INTs and 61% completion, most people would be satisfied that and call it a successful rookie year. However if Manziel put up those same numbers I think a lot of people would view it as pedestrian by his standards and say he hasn't lived up the the first overall pick.

Maybe I am just tired but it seems like a legitimate theory.
Don't agree with this at all..If he went anywhere & put up those numbers it would be considered a successful rookie year. If he did that here, this board along with my head would explode though...

Most people should know that his numbers at A&M won't translate..so to expect much more than the stat line you posted in his rookie year would be completely unrealistic.
Old 02-06-2014   #2079
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
So now it's "can" be and "likely" a better athlete? That's a far cry from what you were saying earlier.
Old 02-06-2014   #2080
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 161683 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So now it's "can" be and "likely" a better athlete? That's a far cry from what you were saying earlier.
Is a guy in a decathalon a better atholete than a sprinter ?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read