Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-05-2014   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: bah007 Post Super Bowl Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I'm not debating whether he was good in college or not. He was an All American S in JUCO and then played well at CB for Utah.

I'm also not debating that he wouldn't be a useful player to have on our roster.

I just think that he is a FS with cover skills, not a big CB. I think people want him to be a CB because of the Seahawks model, but I don't project him there. He could maybe be a press corner in a cover two, but in our system I think he fits at FS.
If I could interject, this is really critical evaluation information where somehow his football work ethic, burning internal desires that you could connect to & coach him up need to be measured, in other words it has to be the right fit both ways, not just a plug & play option @ CB think that would fail, which is what has happened here too many times. All on O'Brian, his staff & revamped scouting department. I think he could go either way, but with Seattle success why wouldn't they be the ones to take him? Any idea how much Richard Sherman will cost once his contract is up or franchise him?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #22
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texans full draft (measurements are guesses, won't know official until combine):

#1. Teddy Bridgewater – QB, Louisville, 6-2, 210
- Very NFL-ready QB prospect. Efficiently and effectively ran a pro-style offense in college. Ahead of the game as far as his ability to read the defense pre-snap and get his team in the correct play. Makes his reads quickly and gets the ball out quickly. Deadly against the blitz. Athletic enough to buy time but always keeps his eyes downfield. Very accurate passer with great touch. His release point is lower than I would like but I can deal with it. He’s not prototypical size but he has shown toughness and durability in the past. His downfield accuracy leaves a little to be desired but I think it’s a fixable issue. #4 overall prospect on my board.

#33. Kyle Van Noy – OLB, BYU, 6-3, 245
- Tremendous instincts jump out at you immediately when you watch him. He always seems to know where the ball is and where it is going. Won’t wow you but he is sneaky athletic. He reacts very quickly and then gets where he needs to be very quickly. Underrated in coverage and a solid tackler. Needs a little bit of work as a pass rusher but he is efficient. #31 prospect on my board.

#65. Jimmie Ward – FS, Northern Illinois, 5-11, 195
- Smaller than you would like at FS but he is a fierce tackler who doesn’t mind doing dirty work. He has also been cross-trained at CB, which is a requisite for the FS position in today’s NFL as far as I am concerned. Dominated offenses in college. Shows great hips in coverage. Good ball skills. Fantastic instincts. He sees the entire field and is incredibly versatile. His size is the only thing not to love. To me, he looks like a slightly smaller, slightly less athletic Earl Thomas. #68 prospect on my board.

#97. Antonio Andrews – RB, Western Kentucky, 5-10, 225
- Ideal build for a running back, thick and compact. Has great vision and runs with low pads. Uses impressive leg strength to fight forward through defenders. Diagnoses the hole quickly and hits it hard. Great initial burst. Good hands out of the backfield. Weapon in the open field despite not having great long speed. Has had fumbling issues in the past and needs to improve in that area. #105 prospect on my board.

#129. Ross Cockrell – CB, Duke, 6-0, 185
- Great play recognition (a theme of mine as I scout defenders) and underrated athleticism. Great closing speed on the ball but drops at lot of potential INTs. Has very good hips and is awesome in off man coverage. Great in zone coverage as well but not a very physical player. Not very good pressing at the line and not a great tackler. Seems to avoid contact at times when defending the run. #136 prospect on my board.

#161. Bruce Gaston – NT, Purdue, 6-2, 320
- Good but not great size for a one gap NT. Has good feet and moves well for his size. Gets lazy at times but he is nasty when he is motivated. Has the strength to shed blocks but can get high sometimes. Not a threat to rush the passer but he can plug up the hole and make plays in the running game. #162 prospect on my board.

#193. Shaquil Barrett – ILB, Colorado St, 6-2, 260
- Played as a rush LB in college but I think he moves inside in the pros. Barrett is not an impressive athlete and he won’t wow you with any of his skills but he is a straight up football player. At ILB you can hide his lack of athleticism and just let him destroy the line of scrimmage. He is strong and makes the most out of the athleticism that he does possess. He is long and explosive and destroys blockers with hands that hit you like bricks. You can also put his pass rushing skills into good use. He shows a variety of moves. He is very raw in coverage and will need some work there but he has a ton of skills to work with. #196 prospect on my board.
Give me Clowney at 1-1 and Cassel and a Clabo type RT in FA on short term deals and I'm a very happy camper.

1. Bridgewater -Pass
2. Van Noy- top 15 pick great pick if he's there at 33
3 Ward- Great pick- he can take over GQ's role
4. Andrews. Like the pick, I would probably pick an OL like Bitonio here.
5. Cockrell- Great pick, hope he falls this far
6. Gaston- Impressed me at East-West game. Big run stopper
7. Barrett- Don't know much about him

This mock fills most of the holes and all are good players. If you look at the Texans as a 2-3 yr rebuilding project and don't force picks to fill holes then this is a great mock. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #23
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
If I could interject, this is really critical evaluation information where somehow his football work ethic, burning internal desires that you could connect to & coach him up need to be measured, in other words it has to be the right fit both ways, not just a plug & play option @ CB think that would fail, which is what has happened here too many times. All on O'Brian, his staff & revamped scouting department. I think he could go either way, but with Seattle success why wouldn't they be the ones to take him? Any idea how much Richard Sherman will cost once his contract is up or franchise him?
He appears to be a hard worker. All American JUCO and then switched positions to play at Utah. If the coaches think he can help at CB then I have no issue with them trying it.

I just don't think he has the requisite skills to play man coverage as a CB on NFL WRs. I do, however, think that the cover skills he does possess make him an intriguing FS prospect who could occasionally jam at the line of scrimmage or cover TEs downfield.

Revis signed a 6 year, $96 million deal last year. I would expect Sherman gets something at least close to that.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #24
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He appears to be a hard worker. All American JUCO and then switched positions to play at Utah. If the coaches think he can help at CB then I have no issue with them trying it.

I just don't think he has the requisite skills to play man coverage as a CB on NFL WRs. I do, however, think that the cover skills he does possess make him an intriguing FS prospect who could occasionally jam at the line of scrimmage or cover TEs downfield.

Revis signed a 6 year, $96 million deal last year. I would expect Sherman gets something at least close to that.
Fair. But how are Seahawks going to pay both Sherman & Russel Wilson?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #25
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Fair. But how are Seahawks going to pay both Sherman & Russel Wilson?
Not sure. They'll also have to pay Earl Thomas if they want to keep him.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #26
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2. STL – Greg Robinson – OT, Auburn
13. STL – Zack Martin – OG, Notre Dame

9. BUF – Khalil Mack – OLB, Buffalo
11. TEN – Anthony Barr – OLB, UCLA

23. KC – Austin Seferian-Jenkins – TE, Washington

28. CAR – Odell Beckham Jr. – WR, LSU

32. SEA – Mike Evans – WR, Texas A&M
1, Will St Louis be that smart? Would be a killer draft, imo.

2. Agree Mack > Barr.

3. I'd put Evans at KC and ASJ or other TE at Seattle.

4. Love OBJr for CAR, little Stevie baller is getting old.

Excellent FRM. Best I've seen anywhere to now. MSR.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014   #27
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Good stuff. I like this a lot. I'm almost 85% sure the Browns won't draft Tre Mason.

This is the same brain trust that assumes they can get any phenom at RB because they did it w/ Shady McCoy (at least I think that's right).
Browns' Brain Trust is all fired, your mock now looks cleaner than ever.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read