Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Who is your SuperBowl winner?
Broncos 55 57.29%
Seahawks 41 42.71%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2014   #221
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: SuperBowl ... Who you got?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It was a bad performance, but I'd qualify this in two ways.

(1) His O-line was terrible. It looked a LOT like the Texans O-line we suffered with all season. (There were times I almost thought we WERE watching the Texans O-line.) Peyton rarely had enough time in the pocket to make plays. (Yes, a large portion of that goes in the form of props to the Seattle D, but I think even absent that, the Broncos' O-line was simply putrid, and it's hard for ANY QB to look good under such constant harassment.)

(2) The term "choke" (to me) implies that bad play in the clutch helped turn what should (or could) have been a win into a loss, especially in the fourth quarter. The Broncos were so thoroughly outplayed in all aspects of the game for just about all 60 minutes that I don't even think a good performance from Peyton, given the defense he was up against, would have made a difference in the outcome of the game (apart from perhaps making it closer).

In reality, Tom Brady, as much as I hate everything about the Brady-Belichick Patriots, is probably grinning. After Manning beat Brady in the AFC Championship and Denver won pretty convincingly over the Pats (noting that NE is a mediocre road team at best), some thought Manning' legacy may have taken baby steps toward Brady's, especially if he won this Super Bowl. Well, that talk should be over in terms of post-season performance. I've seen Brady lose playoff games. I've seen Brady lose Super Bowls. I've seen Brady at less than his best in those games. But I've never seen Brady unleash a toxic stinkbomb in a postseason game, let alone a Super Bowl, that was anywhere near this stench-ridden.
you're forgetting that 35-7 stinkbomb Brady & the pats laid in 2009 against the Ravens in the playoffs...but in general i agree with most of what you're saying here. The Broncos were so thoroughly outplayed & outcoached, Manning would've had to have benn perfect for them to even have a shot to win. Apart from that, Brady shouldn't be grinning about anything b/c nearly the exact same thing happened to him in 2007. The only difference here is that at least half of his team showed up to at least give him a chance.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #222
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was at a friend's house watching with about 20 other people. I was the only person pulling for Seattle. I get the Manning man crush, having been on the wrong side of it for so many years. But, I really do not get why that Seahawks team is so unanimously hated. Those guys play their asses off and they are well coached.

Much like this thread (not entirely but the majority), a Broncos rout was predicted before the game by my rowdy friends. I still can't decide if they wanted Denver to win or if they just wanted Seattle to lose.

Fortunately for me, they disappeared into their drinks as I got to watch football as it was meant to be played (IMO). Suffocating defense, well coached special teams, and a patient offense that exploited mistakes. The better team clearly won, which left a lot of people unhappy for some reason.

I know some people only wanted to see a competitive game, but I saw exactly what I was hoping I would see. So I guess I'm in the minority that had a good time.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #223
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I was at a friend's house watching with about 20 other people. I was the only person pulling for Seattle. I get the Manning man crush, having been on the wrong side of it for so many years. But, I really do not get why that Seahawks team is so unanimously hated. Those guys play their asses off and they are well coached.

Much like this thread (not entirely but the majority), a Broncos rout was predicted before the game by my rowdy friends. I still can't decide if they wanted Denver to win or if they just wanted Seattle to lose.

Fortunately for me, they disappeared into their drinks as I got to watch football as it was meant to be played (IMO). Suffocating defense, well coached special teams, and a patient offense that exploited mistakes. The better team clearly won, which left a lot of people unhappy for some reason.

agree...I wanted to see Manning win, but i didn't mind that Seattle won it...I was happy for Carroll & Wilson...more importantly i was happy b/c i knew somewhere in this great nation of ours John Harbaugh was gonna be pissed off b/c Seattle won....

But yeah, no way could you have watched that game last night & not seen how much better Seattle was coached. They were loose & dictated to Denver the whole game. Harvin coming in & making a big play on that jet sweep early on clearly threw a monkey wrench in whatever Denver had planned on defense b/c Ayers looked lost out there.
Old 02-03-2014   #224
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...I really do not get why that Seahawks team is so unanimously hated...
Simple.

Part time fans only seeing this and not looking deeper.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #225
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12794 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But, I really do not get why that Seahawks team is so unanimously hated. Those guys play their asses off and they are well coached.
For me it has nothing to do with their swagger, or Richard Sherman's mouth, or any of that. It's the FANS.

They built a new stadium specifically designed to amplify crowd noise, then equate "being loudest" with "being the best fans" and acting like they have been this loyal every year since 1976 instead of getting loud on the bandwagon. They can't even come up with an original moniker for their fan base so they have to "license" a nickname from Texas A&M.

And any time someone says anything about who has the most loyal fans, all they do is point to crowd noise (which to me says more about being drunk and obnoxious than about being passionate).

I have a lot of respect for the Seahawks and how they play the game. But this year their fans have been, on the aggregate as a fan base, highly annoying.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #226
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12794 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
...more importantly i was happy b/c i knew somewhere in this great nation of ours John Harbaugh was gonna be pissed off b/c Seattle won....
Jim?
Old 02-03-2014   #227
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Agreed.
You can still be one of "the greatest to ever do it" and fall in the top ten.

I'm sorry, Payton's legacy was killed in that game. His body language, his facial expressions on the sideline, his performance in the game, and his ovrl performance in postseason play... His legacy took a hit. He firmly cemented himself behind the likes of Brady, because I highly doubt a Brady led team would've got their asses kicked the way Payton's team did last night. Payton will go down as a all time great (that's a given), especially in the regular season.. he just won't be remembered as "the greatest to ever do it".. and that's where his legacy took a hit, because that's what he was playing for last night. You simply can't ignore his postseason performances... not after that ass kicking and after the other lame ducks he's put up in other playoff games.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #228
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Even worse, the QB was Grossman.
Peyton Manning's 24.4 Total QBR was the worst since Rex Grossman's 7.1 in 2006.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013...insulting-word

Last edited by Playoffs; 02-03-2014 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Link added
Old 02-03-2014   #229
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Jim?
whichever is the whiny one that coaches the 49ers..
Old 02-03-2014   #230
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Simple.

Part time fans only seeing this and not looking deeper.
The dude speaks the truth.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #231
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Peyton Manning's 24.4 Total QBR was the worst since Rex Grossman's 7.1 in 2006.
If we knew the magic QBR box we could calculate it but Big Ben's QBR in a winning effort in 2005 had to be even lower.

Ordinary rating Grossman 68.3 v. Big Ben 22.6.
Old 02-03-2014   #232
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
But, I really do not get why that Seahawks team is so unanimously hated. Those guys play their asses off and they are well coached.
I don't hate the Seahawks.

I hate Pete Carol.
Old 02-03-2014   #233
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Mayweather, a prolific gambler, has reportedly plonked almost $15 million on the Broncos to salute in American football's biggest game, to be played on Monday (EDT) against the Seattle Seahawks.

The Vegas Gambling Steam Twitter feed revealed Mayweather had slapped the monumental AU$11.86 million wager on the Broncos to beat the Seattle Seahawks by more than two points.

Other reports have Mayweather also betting $2.96 million on the Broncos to be leading at half-time.

The bets are so enormous that they will likely have affected betting lines at some agencies.

As no betting company would be stupid enough to take the bets on their own, Mayweather reportedly used seven different agencies and four offshore accounts in order to make his giant gambles possible.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/mor...-1226812115649
Quote:
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein 14h
Quote:
Iím sure weíll hear a story about how Floyd Mayweather never had Denver tomorrow and heíll actually tweet a pic of a Seahawks ticket

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
Quote:
Mayweather waits until the game is over and then tells everyone he didnít bet on Denver despite letting that story ride all week.

Shocking RT @FloydMayweather: Somebody lied to you all. If I was going to bet, I would have bet on the Seattle Seahawks....
Old 02-03-2014   #234
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
For me it has nothing to do with their swagger, or Richard Sherman's mouth, or any of that. It's the FANS.

They built a new stadium specifically designed to amplify crowd noise, then equate "being loudest" with "being the best fans" and acting like they have been this loyal every year since 1976 instead of getting loud on the bandwagon. They can't even come up with an original moniker for their fan base so they have to "license" a nickname from Texas A&M.

And any time someone says anything about who has the most loyal fans, all they do is point to crowd noise (which to me says more about being drunk and obnoxious than about being passionate).

I have a lot of respect for the Seahawks and how they play the game. But this year their fans have been, on the aggregate as a fan base, highly annoying.
I understand that completely. Living down here, I am not exposed to very many Seattle fans so I do not have to deal with them. And "fans" in general tend to irritate me regardless of who they root for.

The Seahawks have been my second favorite team ever since they drafted Earl Thomas. Their roster is also full of players that I loved coming out of college. They always seem to somehow end up with about four or five guys every year that I wanted the Texans to draft.
Old 02-03-2014   #235
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't hate the Seahawks.

I hate Pete Carol.
A lot of people do. I don't get it but you're obviously not alone.

I think he's fantastic.
Old 02-03-2014   #236
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
It's going to be a blowout IMO.
Dude, you were so right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Denver wins by a landslide. Manning been there before, Hawks new to the pressure of a SB, and I think the more experienced QB wins. Pocket passers almost always win the SB.
D'oh, except you were soooo wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
Orange Tush 27
Legion of Bust 20
lol @ "Legion of Bust". You lose credibility with such lame jabs, especially seeing this unit completely dismantle Peyton Manning's record setting offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I agree with that. I think Denver lost this game with that safety right at the beginning.
If "the greatest" cannot overcome a 2 point deficit with 59:40 left on the game clock....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
They could play again next week, and Denver would probably win.
....then I don't see how you can say this with a straight face.

Six times has the #1 defense faced the #1 offense in the Super Bowl.

Defenses are 5-1 in those games.

Peyton Manning and his Broncos were DOMINATED. I don't see how a mere week is going to change the fundamental nature of each team.

Manning has been throwing short passes all season and his receivers have made plays after the catch all season. The Seahawks do not allow offenses to do this because they are so fast and they attack the ball so well that you cannot dink and dunk without a deep threat and expect to win. The Seahawks took away Manning's strengths and exploited his offense's weaknesses.

Fantastic performance by the Seahawks in all phases of the game. They will be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Yep. I don't see why they can't.
What do you know, man, you're just a football fan, amirite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
As bad as it was last night for Manning..this doesn't really change my opinion about his legacy...dude is still perhaps the greatest to ever do it...
It is a subjective argument, but this game put this one to rest. Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw, Troy Aikman all have multiple rings and have never lost Super Bowls. Manning clearly has the statistical edge - in a era that heavily favors the passing game, btw - but true legacy of greatness to be G.O.A.T. is built with the accumulation of championships.
Old 02-03-2014   #237
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
You can still be one of "the greatest to ever do it" and fall in the top ten.

I'm sorry, Payton's legacy was killed in that game. His body language, his facial expressions on the sideline, his performance in the game, and his ovrl performance in postseason play... His legacy took a hit. He firmly cemented himself behind the likes of Brady, because I highly doubt a Brady led team would've got their asses kicked the way Payton's team did last night. Payton will go down as a all time great (that's a given), especially in the regular season.. he just won't be remembered as "the greatest to ever do it".. and that's where his legacy took a hit, because that's what he was playing for last night. You simply can't ignore his postseason performances... not after that ass kicking and after the other lame ducks he's put up in other playoff games.
His legacy will take a hit with those who already really don't like him..that's fine..Me personally though, I've long discounted the "must win multiple SB's/championships to be considered the greatest" argument simply b/c people are too biased and usually don't take everything into consideration. Brady is considered better than Manning largely b/c he has more SB rings but then those same folks discount a guy like Bradshaw b/c he had 1 of the greatest defenses backing him....but then will elevate a guy like Dan Marino over say John Elway b/c of some other made up personal nonsense. There's just too much that goes into winning SB's let alone multiple ones.

Based on what the guy has done his whole career regardless of the circumstances, he's the greatest to ever do it in my eyes. No 1 qb has ever brought more to the game....imo of course.
Old 02-03-2014   #238
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Texans who just earned Super Bowl Rings...

Russell Okung Richmond, Tx
Earl Thomas Orange, Tx
Red Bryant Jasper, Tx
Jeremy Lane Tyler, Tx
Michael Bennett Houston, Tx
Mike Morgan Dallas, Tx

May be as close as we'll get for a while guys.
Old 02-03-2014   #239
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Quote:
A lot of people do. I don't get it but you're obviously not alone.

I think he's fantastic.
Excellent coach, but I personally don't like what he did at USC (and I never liked USC). He allowed rampant cheating and rules violations under his watch, and then when the hammer was about to come down (on kids who had nothing to do with the violations and on new coaches who had no role in it) -- he took his ball, went to the NFL and left other, more innocent parties to burn in the flames of the fire he helped to stoke while he avoided all the consequences.
Old 02-03-2014   #240
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read