Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2014   #9
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
FWIW, I like McClain. I don't get the hate he gets from people on the board here and definitely don't get it from the bloggers which I see all the time on twitter. Just seems petty.
NFL coaching staffs just don't seem to have the kind of buddy-buddy relationship with the local press like fans would like - and some of them (fans) expect, It used to be that a coach (head coach or some assistant) could say stuff "off the record" and trust the press corps not to blab it. I just don't think that exists any more in this day of twitter and the "I gotta be first to post this on the web or it's old news" mentality of the press and quasi-press. So coaches are a lot more closed-mouth about team "news" than maybe they were "back in the day". Being the senior-most NFL reporter in Houston, fans are disappointed in him for not having all the inside scoop. Frankly speaking, McClain seems to be guessing a lot of the time.

Also, McClain - actually few of the Houston sports press corps - seem to ask the kind of pointed questions they'd like to see asked during pressers.

Then there's his interest in "going Hollywood" seemingly at the expense of his NFL reporting. Most fans don't give a flip that he appears in movies. They (we) want news of the Texans.

That these shortcomings translate into the "hate" you perceive is more an outpouring of disappointment more than actual hate. ...at least I hope it is...

...anyway, that's my guess...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read