Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2014   #1881
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
lowest error/interception rate of any of them.
What is this guy using as an error rate because INTs clearly are not in Manziel's favor against several of those guys?

Quote:
No one I spoke to will deny that Manziel can act like a spoiled kid who is still maturing as a young man, but none expressed great concern about his true character
Talk about an amorphous qualifier swallowing a definitive statement.

Everyone says Manziel acts like a spoiled kid at least at times.

But the author didn't find any of the concerns expressed "great" whatever that means.
Old 01-30-2014   #1882
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
What is this guy using as an error rate because INTs clearly are not in Manziel's favor against several of those guys?

Talk about an amorphous qualifier swallowing a definitive statement.

Everyone says Manziel acts like a spoiled kid at least at times.

But the author didn't find any of the concerns expressed "great" whatever that means.
If I was proferring a guess, I'd say he's saying that a sizeable percentage of those ints aren't "on the qb". Weird tipped balls, deflections, etc.

As to the "none were great" statement, that sounds like typical scout fodder. We're somewhat concerned by "a", but its not a show-stopper.
Old 01-30-2014   #1883
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I don't want us to Draft Manziel... but he's the only QB with enough "special" about him to trade up for.

I can see teams falling in love with Manziel, Clowney, or Watkins to want to trade up to get them. The other guys, not so much...
Old 01-30-2014   #1884
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
If I was proferring a guess, I'd say he's saying that a sizeable percentage of those ints aren't "on the qb". Weird tipped balls, deflections, etc.
I would guess the same but that has to call into the question the objectivity of the review. Manziel and Bridgewater have the same number of attempts last year so you have to eliminate 9 of 13 INT's to get even and that is if you don't discount 2 of Bridgewater's as tipped.
Old 01-30-2014   #1885
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would guess the same but that has to call into the question the objectivity of the review. Manziel and Bridgewater have the same number of attempts last year so you have to eliminate 9 of 13 INT's to get even and that is if you don't discount 2 of Bridgewater's as tipped.
I'm wondering if it's based on multi-year performance?
Old 01-30-2014   #1886
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I'm wondering if it's based on multi-year performance?
Could be. Even there the disparity seems tough to overcome. It's only an about 20 attempt difference so that is inconsequential when the total is around 850. Bridgewater has 10 less INT's. That is 45% of JF's INTs eliminated with none of TB's just to get even.

I'm not slagging Manziel, just dubious on the claim.
Old 01-30-2014   #1887
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Could be. Even there the disparity seems tough to overcome. It's only an about 20 attempt difference so that is inconsequential when the total is around 850. Bridgewater has 10 less INT's. That is 45% of JF's INTs eliminated with none of TB's just to get even.

I'm not slagging Manziel, just dubious on the claim.
To me, that's where strength of competition & "expectations" come into play.

3 INTs is still extremely low, correcting for competition level, I'd say that's maybe 5~7, which is still "better" than Manziel's 13.

Both guys were trying to be better than they were last season, so the "expectations" thing is a wash.
Old 01-30-2014   #1888
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know why people are still talking about Manziel, someone posted on here that they heard from their mothers fathers sons daughters nieces cousins uncle twice removed from their uncles side who's friends nana's son works at the garbage dump spoke with O'Brien and he said there is no way the Texans are drafting him.

Old 01-30-2014   #1889
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I don't know why people are still talking about Manziel, someone posted on here that they heard from their mothers fathers sons daughters nieces cousins uncle twice removed from their uncles side who's friends nana's son works at the garbage dump spoke with O'Brien and he said there is no way the Texans are drafting him.

Wow! I know him
Old 01-30-2014   #1890
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Most scouts will only chart 4/5 maybe 6 games against toughest competition, so I assume that's what he did here. And "errors" could be all kinds of things: throwing into double coverage, interceptable balls, subtracting catchables/tips, missing the open guy, etc. It was asked in the comments -- we'll see if he details it.

Quote:
I believe his point was Manziel showed immaturity versus bad character (Ryan Leaf).
Old 01-30-2014   #1891
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 228472 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, that stopped me, too.

I can only assume that he's creating a stat on his own by looking at every pick each one of those QBs threw and then assigning the interception to either the WR or the QB based on who he thought made the error. THEN he's computing his own interception/error rate based off that.

I mean, if a QB throws the ball and it hits his guy in the hands, pops up, and gets intercepted... why blame the QB for it? If the QB made the right read and the WR ran the wrong route and it ended up picked, why blame the QB?

I'm not positive the guy did that but if he did, it would be a better stat than just looking at the pure int numbers.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
Old 01-30-2014   #1892
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Most scouts will only chart 4/5 maybe 6 games against toughest competition, so I assume that's what he did here. And "errors" could be all kinds of things: throwing into double coverage, interceptable balls, subtracting catchables/tips, missing the open guy, etc. It was asked in the comments -- we'll see if he details it.

I believe his point was Manziel showed immaturity versus bad character (Ryan Leaf).
The TB fans are going to try a rip this guy to shreds because he doesn't say what they want to see and hear. Let me throw them a bone, last year Russ Lande thought Ryan Nassib was the top QB in the draft and would be a Top 10 pick. Lande has been around for a long time, watches a ton of film and is often the contrarian. He definitely doesn't do the group think thing. I read him regularly just to get another perspective. You can follow him on twitter @RUSSLANDE.
Old 02-02-2014   #1893
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

RSP Boiler Room: QB Johnny Manziel and Why I Think of Ali
Quote:
The Boiler Room Series is my attempt to capture the state of an NFL prospect’s development into a single play. This is an impossible task, but what if you have a limited number of plays to state your case about a prospect to the leadership team within your organization? If you’ve researched enough about this player, a cut-up of choice plays with a short presentation can provide a decent assessment of strengths, weaknesses, and potential fit for the team.

I have already performed an extensive analysis if Johnny Manziel’s game in a Futures column this fall, but the Aggie’s starter is one of the more intriguing players I have studied in nine years. Sigmund Bloom’s parallel between Manziel and a boxer fits. I’ll even put a name to the parallel that Bloom didn’t, because there are similarities of unique, unorthodox technique: Muhammad Ali...
Old 02-02-2014   #1894
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport
Quote:
Many draft QBs hit NYC scene, Perceived party boy Johnny Manziel passed up lucrative opportunities to prepare for the NFL Combine in 21 days

Last edited by infantrycak; 02-02-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-02-2014   #1895
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Man he's so immature.
Old 02-02-2014   #1896
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
He's so immature.
Old 02-02-2014   #1897
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

He's immature but really loves football.
Old 02-02-2014   #1898
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Most people who are immature at a young age usually become more mature as they get older. That is all!
Old 02-02-2014   #1899
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 45564 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Most people who are immature at a young age usually become more mature as they get older. That is all!
Maturity often comes with age. How profound. But it is something some people forget after watching so many fail to mature because of early rewards based on potential rather than production.
Old 02-02-2014   #1900
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Atleast he isn't a complete idiot, because you'd have to be to not take the preparation over party route.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read