Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-28-2014   #41
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Matt Schaub gives Texans best chance to win in 2014" -Marshall Faulk

Schaub put me in a bad place last season. If we don't take a top QB, then I am OK with working out a deal that can work for both Matt and the Texans for 2014.

Faulk doesnt know how Matt is going to respond after what happened last season anymore than he knows the winning lotto numbers.

So the question is, who wants to play Schrodingers Cat with Schaub?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #42
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Matt Schaub gives Texans best chance to win in 2014" -Marshall Faulk

I just look at it like Schaub gives us the best chance to go over .500, and the least chance of winning it all, which is what we are supposed to be shooting for. That foot injury is a problem that won't go away, and I think it showed up early this last season.

June 1st cut.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #43
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Schaub put me in a bad place last season. If we don't take a top QB, then I am OK with working out a deal that can work for both Matt and the Texans for 2014.
I understand.

We don't look at Matt Schaub like Eli Manning, or Matt Ryan. Even though Schaub's been better than both of them in the regular season for quite some time. Eli is clutch in the play-offs & Ryan is younger (28 vs 32). But both of those guys will unquestionably be brought back to start for their teams, no pay-cut even asked, & they were as bad as Schaub in 2013.

Only difference, they were allowed to play it out & never got "back" on track.

I want Schaub gone, don't get me wrong. It's past time we moved on. I'm just saying.
Old 01-28-2014   #44
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 81572 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I understand.

We don't look at Matt Schaub like Eli Manning, or Matt Ryan. Even though Schaub's been better than both of them in the regular season for quite some time. Eli is clutch in the play-offs & Ryan is younger (28 vs 32). But both of those guys will unquestionably be brought back to start for their teams, no pay-cut even asked, & they were as bad as Schaub in 2013.

Only difference, they were allowed to play it out & never got "back" on track.

I want Schaub gone, don't get me wrong. It's past time we moved on. I'm just saying.
I know you generally make stuff up as you go along, might want to actually look at Schaub's stats in 2013 and then Matt Ryan's and then edit your post.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
I know you generally make stuff up as you go along, might want to actually look at Schaub's stats in 2013 and then Matt Ryan's and then edit your post.
Nope.... looks the same to me. Which stat (since we can use stats now) are you looking at showing Matt Ryan had a much better season than Schaub?
Old 01-28-2014   #46
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_joe View Post
I'm with you on this. Schaub was never as bad as people around here try and make him out to be. He had a bad year. He is still the best QB on the roster. I know that's not saying much but he is far better than either Keenum or Yates. But that being said, he needs a fresh start. Let Schaub walk and draft Teddy Bridgewater. He will give you a bettet chance to win next year than either Keenum or Yates.
Calling Matt Schaub the best QB on the current roster (and we don't even know if he's that since the other QBs still have room to improve through more experience and PT.. which Schaub can't say) is like bragging that you're the skinniest kid in fat camp. At the end of the day, you're still fat.

There will be QBs selected in this draft that will give any NFL team a better chance to win than Matt Schaub. just on potential alone. I really don't understand Nitrofish's infatuation with Schaub. The way he's driven to defend him, it's like he personally knows the guy.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #47
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 81572 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nope.... looks the same to me. Which stat (since we can use stats now) are you looking at showing Matt Ryan had a much better season than Schaub?
OK, I guess I'll google that for you then.

Schaub
Completions: 219
Attempts: 358
Yards: 2310
TD: 10
Int: 14

Ryan
Completions: 438
Attempts: 651
Yards: 4515
TD: 26
Int: 17
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #48
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Never said automatically, but I would put my money on Schaub beating out Keenum any day. You really think Keenum developed last season? Developed some bad habits maybe. Like averaging 10.58 yards lost per sack.

I agree with that, but you will agree that most on this board, and most in the FB comments on official posts by the Texans, even when the post had nothing to do with Schaub. Mob mentality towards Schaub, especially in 2013.
Well what habits did Schaub have...throwing pick 6s to end games? I'll take the sacks. You had a kid who was making his first starts and did some great things. He needs work definitely. Schaub had been around and regressed and showed his limitations. They both can be coached up. But again, what makes Pick 6 guy someone who you'd put your money on vs kid with upside? I think you are wasting your money.
Old 01-28-2014   #49
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

They both suck.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #50
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
OK, I guess I'll google that for you then.

Schaub
Completions: 219
Attempts: 358
Yards: 2310
TD: 10
Int: 14

Ryan
Completions: 438
Attempts: 651
Yards: 4515
TD: 26
Int: 17
You forgot to add all the other TD passes Schaub had.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #51
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Matt Ryan (89.6) is a poor example. Should have gone with Flacco and Eli.

QB rating
Schaub 73.0
Flacco 73.1
Eli 69.4

Eli put Schaub to shame on INT's - 4.9% to 3.9% for Schaub.
Old 01-28-2014   #52
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Coincidentally, Matt Schaub also gives us the best chance to win the #1 pick in 2015.
Old 01-28-2014   #53
HouTx11
Veteran

Rep Power: 4237 HouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Since Baltimore seems to be THE magnet with sensitivity set to all things ex-Texans I predict that Schaub will be cut from the Texans and then reunite with Kubiak, Dennison, Leach and Jacoby as a backup to Joe Flacco for the Ravens. Only question is: will it be a #8 purple jersey?
HouTx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #54
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Frank View Post
I'd rather give Josh McCown a 2 year contract and draft Teddy B, then keep Schaub..
Why would you pay McCown for two years, draft TB, then keep Schaub too? Doesn't make sense to me.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #55
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The thought that any of us armchair GM's think we know better than someone like Marshall Faulk is laughable anyway. Schaub had a bad year. It happens.
Marshall Faulk hates the Texans. I would not be surprised if this is some kind of insidious way to sabotage us!!

Honestly, though, Faulk is just a talking head now. For instance, Ted "Three Rings" Johnson is just as qualified as an opinion as Faulk, and he holds the opposite opinion from Faulk. Dude was even predicting Schaub's decline before the 2013 season and people were slamming him for it. But, turns out, he was on the mark.

Point being, I tend to think a lot of these talking heads are paid for opinions, not expertise. I truly think if any of them were experts, they'd be on staff of an NFL team. But instead, they make a nice salary just spouting opinions for our entertainment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
And this is the problem. Dr. CND has posted many times the condition is degenerative -- getting steadily worse.
This is where my perspective comes from, as well. CND warned us about Schaub's condition as degenerative in 2012, and everything he said from a medical perspective braced us for the reality. iirc, I don't think Schaub's injury is one that improves, according to the good doctor, so it is possible that Schaub is not going to be consistently productive as an NFL starter again.

Quote:
I agree with that, but you will agree that most on this board, and most in the FB comments on official posts by the Texans, even when the post had nothing to do with Schaub. Mob mentality towards Schaub, especially in 2013.
'eh, gotta' be careful with generalizations. Sure, there are those that shoot arrows at every chance, but there are others that try to be objective and pragmatic.

As you know, the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" league. Past performances are good for reflection after retirement, but not necessarily a good way to gauge certain aspects of a player.

I would not scream bloody murder if Schaub was kept around, but I do not think it will happen. His health is certainly a concern, but I think 2013 was as much mental as it was physical for Schaub. I have no idea, but would not be surprised if O'Brien does not want to inherit the last regime's mess.
Old 01-28-2014   #56
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105991 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Coincidentally, Matt Schaub also gives us the best chance to win the #1 pick in 2015.
Wimp-out for Winston #2015!
Old 01-28-2014   #57
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Should've kept the old staff, plan... were on the right track.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #58
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Should've kept the old staff, plan... were on the right track.
Yeah but the train was in reverse, we needed a new conductor
Old 01-28-2014   #59
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Matt Ryan (89.6) is a poor example. Should have gone with Flacco and Eli.

QB rating
Schaub 73.0
Flacco 73.1
Eli 69.4

Eli put Schaub to shame on INT's - 4.9% to 3.9% for Schaub.
Considering Schaub only started half the games Ryan did.. I still think it's similar. If (& I know it's an if) Matt played the other 8 games, who knows what his numbers would have looked like. As it is, the numbers look similar enough.

The biggest difference is his TD/INT ratio, starting twice as many games could have easily got his ratio back in-line, towards his norm & two more wins.

Besides, not like I said he was worse than Schaub, I said as bad as. I can't imagine any Falcon fan saying, "I'm glad we locked this dude up, $120M well spent."
Old 01-28-2014   #60
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Yeah but the train was in reverse, we needed a new conductor
If we just could have pull that ox out of a ditch we would have had a perfect ox conductor. Them oxes love them some conducting.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read