Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-28-2014   #501
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Dunn was an assistant until 2012 when he took over the OL...

In 2013 Falcons were 32nd in rushing, 30th in Pass Blocking Efficiency, and 31st in Offensive Line rankings.

So yeah, the facts warrant the comment. ATL got worse under Dunn.
ugh... Yuck. Like HOU-TEX, I have felt pretty good about his asst. coaches after reading about them...except this one. Not impressed, but hopefully the dude will elevate his coaching under O'Brien.

It is so critical that the Texans have a solid offensive line that this hire kinda' puts some worry into next season. If they draft a rookie QB and start him immediately, I don't like the parallels to another rookie QB that we all know and love who ended up with FPS [Fetal Position Syndrome] to the point he would sack himself because the line was so swiss cheesy.
Old 01-28-2014   #502
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2013/12...offensive-line

Nice piece on understanding some of the '13 OL woes of the falcons. Can't say it makes me feel much better about this hire however.
Old 01-28-2014   #503
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
ugh... Yuck. Like HOU-TEX, I have felt pretty good about his asst. coaches after reading about them...except this one. Not impressed, but hopefully the dude will elevate his coaching under O'Brien.
I think we all know Dunn wasn't OB's first, second, or even third choice.

Can't always get what you want.
Old 01-28-2014   #504
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope McNair sees Tillman's complaining and bans this clown from doing the preseason games.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #505
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I hope McNair sees Tillman's complaining and bans this clown from doing the preseason games.
Wrong Spencer.
Old 01-28-2014   #506
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Wrong Spencer.
That's it...... I'm banning myself from posting for 24 hours.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #507
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116054 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
That's it...... I'm banning myself from posting for 24 hours.
If its any consolation I don't know who the other Spencer is and why his opinion is so damn important.
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #508
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
If its any consolation I don't know who the other Spencer is and why his opinion is so damn important.
Charles Spencer? Texans 3rd round pick in 2006. The dude who started out extremely promising until a run-in with the Dayne-train (very) prematurely ended his career?

He played under Dunn in his last year at Pitt. Why would his opinion not be notable?
Old 01-28-2014   #509
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just don't like how we go from ferentz, to Munchak, then back to Ferentz but in the end wind up with a Falcons castoff.
Have to think McNair holding out for Munchak forced OB to wait on selecting his own guy. Ferentz may have tired of the back-and-forth.

If it turns out to have been a bad hire I expect OB to can him quickly and move on. Too bad we can't get Dante Scarnecchia to come be a part time QC guy here for a year.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #510
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116054 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Charles Spencer? Texans 3rd round pick in 2006. The dude who started out extremely promising until a run-in with the Dayne-train (very) prematurely ended his career?

He played under Dunn in his last year at Pitt. Why would his opinion not be notable?
Now that I know who he is, it helps. I also questioned the hiring anywhoo.
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #511
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

George Godsey -- QBs
Paul Dunn -- OL
Stan Hixon -- WRs
Charles London -- RBs
??? -- TEs

Romeo Crennel -- DC
Bill Kollar -- DL
Mike Vrabel -- LBs
John Butler/Anthony Midget -- DBs

Bob Ligashesky/Doug Colman -- STs

Craig Fitzgerald -- Strength & Conditioning
Jim Bernhardt -- QC
Old 01-28-2014   #512
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
George Godsey -- QBs
Paul Dunn -- OL
Stan Hixon -- WRs
Charles London -- RBs
??? -- TEs

Romeo Crennel -- DC
Bill Kollar -- DL
Mike Vrabel -- LBs
John Butler/Anthony Midget -- DBs

Bob Ligashesky/Doug Colman -- STs

Craig Fitzgerald -- Strength & Conditioning
Jim Bernhardt -- QC
Maybe it's just me but his offensive staff seems a bit underwhelming. Still in in a wait and see mode with this whole thing.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #513
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Anyone know who was his 2nd or 3rd choice for OL coach may have been? I was wondering why he didn't go after Bruce Mathews. He was Munch's OL coach at Tenn for the last few years.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014   #514
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Anyone know who was his 2nd or 3rd choice for OL coach may have been? I was wondering why he didn't go after Bruce Mathews. He was Munch's OL coach at Tenn for the last few years.
Didn't Ferentz come in for a second interview? Or rumored to?

I think he wanted someone with more experience coaching than Matthews has.
Old 01-29-2014   #515
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

But did we get what we need? Too important a coaching position for this team to be guessing.
Old 01-29-2014   #516
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 55397 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New England TE coach George Godsey to Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
I prefer to be Patriots South rather than Denver South. That system keeps being a success Patriots keep going to the playoffs and contending year in year out. Shannahan couldnt keep a job lol.
I'd really prefer to be HOUSTON than ANYTHING ELSE - South.
The desire to be something else goes back at least as far as Whitmire who wanted to be Atlanta. I'm sick and tired of people wanting to be something else besides HOUSTON.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014   #517
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 55397 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Dunn coached Charles Spencer at Pitt, and Spencer did not have anything good at all to say about Dunn.
A disgruntled player? What a shock!
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014   #518
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I think Bruce is only interested in working with Munch, and will again when Much gets another HC gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Didn't Ferentz come in for a second interview? Or rumored to?
This may shed some light on what happended with Brian Ferentz...
Quote:
But with the 2013 football season behind them, it is definitely time for head coach Kirk Ferentz and his diligent staff to take on the next task at hand — finishing up the long and arduous task of recruiting.

Usually, the team’s top recruiter is given the task of securing a quality quarterback. For Iowa, this job has usually gone to Kirk Ferentz’s son Brian Ferentz , who is the Hawkeyes’ offensive line coach. Kirk Ferentz spent is playing days as a Hawkeyes under the tutelage of his father before beginning his coaching career under legendary NFL coach Bill Belichick. Since returning to Iowa, the younger Ferentz has proved to be one of his father’s most trusted coaches.
...It has been assumed by some that Kirk Ferentz was always keeping the seat warm in Iowa City for his son. The younger Ferentz wouldn’t have assumed the throne by bloodline, alone and was given the opportunity to learn and coach under his father...
Could have been family. Could be he got some guarantees. Could be Texans made him wait too long or he felt he was "second fiddle"?
Old 01-29-2014   #519
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

The Falcons did have some OL injuries. But some have most of NFL teams. Dunn's first year on his own as formal OL coach showed nothing to base a smart choice for OL coach on this team. I believe we will regret this appointment......and can only hope that the rest of offensive coaching will mask this wart......until it can be removed......just make no sense whatsoever to me.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014   #520
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hopefully this guy shows better than he did in Atlanta...

Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Quote:
Falocns o line hasn't been that good and he was let go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Again, that's one season. There's 5 season previous to that where the results were much better.
All this conjecture with no data... you know I couldn't stand that, soooo....

He'd been at ATL for six seasons; these are the sacks allowed numbers from ESPN.com....

2013 -- 44
2012 -- 29
2011 -- 26
2010 -- 23
2009 -- 27
2008 -- 17

here are the Texans' sacks allowed totals for comparison...

2013 -- 42
2012 -- 28
2011 -- 33
2010 -- 32
2009 -- 25
2008 -- 32

This might not be such an awful hire.
IF he can bring our pass protection up to ATL's pre-2013 levels of proficiency
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read