Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-28-2014   #1
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 53129 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Default "Matt Schaub gives Texans best chance to win in 2014" -Marshall Faulk

According the Marshall Faulk, Matt Schaub, not Teddy Bridgewater, or anyone else give the Texans the best chance to win in 2014. I know this is a loaded question with some of you, but, agree or disagree and why?

Faulk, one of the most vocal Schaub bashers over the last few seasons, my jaw was agape when I watched the video below.

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...3-9a836bd68240

"I always said I wanted to play for one team, and to be able to play for the Houston Texans for the rest of my career, it's a tremendous honor." -Andre Johnson
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 249738 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Matt Schaub gives Texans best chance to win in 2014" -Marshall Faulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
According the Marshall Faulk...
I'm only interested in "According to Bill O'Brien..."
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #3
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 53129 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Matt Schaub gives Texans best chance to win in 2014" -Marshall Faulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
So for you if O'Brien says Schaub is the guy that gives the Texans the best chance to win 2014, you are ok with that?

"I always said I wanted to play for one team, and to be able to play for the Houston Texans for the rest of my career, it's a tremendous honor." -Andre Johnson
Old 01-28-2014   #4
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Go home Marshall, you're drunk!!
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #5
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 249738 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
So for you if O'Brien says Schaub is the guy that gives the Texans the best chance to win 2014, you are ok with that?
Yep.

OB knows more about these things than I do.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #6
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78642 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #7
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 63318 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm open to it.

My level of concern over his foot injury is increasing though.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-28-2014   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209570 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
This.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

It's like I've been saying, historically with rookie QBs, you lose while they develop.

The odds of us having a winning season with a rookie QB are slim.

So.

If we want to win now, it means that either:
1) OB is able to "fix" whatever's wrong with Schaub
2) OB is able to develop either Keenum or Yates
3) OB is able to get the rookie QB going extremely quick... which we've seen done a few times recently

In terms of probability, fixing Schaub is probably the best strategy for early wins.

I just don't see that happening.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #10
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83307 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

ehh.... we just need to part ways with Schaub..even if it's only to free up the cap space. I'd be fine with letting Yates or Keenum get the early starts while we continue to rebuild...we can't be that much worse than we were this past year so it goes without saying we'll still be seeing some measure of improvement with either of the 2 at the helm.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #11
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 51708 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #12
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Marshall gets the best of weed in Cali!
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
ehh.... we just need to part ways with Schaub..even if it's only to free up the cap space.
If the question is winning, I don't know how OB can answer the question until camp. But from a business stand point I don't see how Schaub can enter camp with a $14M cap number, especially with the season he had last year.

Of course, if we're talking about designating him a June 1st cut, we're not in any hurry to cut him until before the season starts.

But looking at the FA QBs out there; Freeman, Vick, McCown, McCoy..... Schaub's the most successful of the bunch.
Old 01-28-2014   #14
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34103 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Schaub will never wear a Texan uniform again.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #15
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If the question is winning, I don't know how OB can answer the question until camp. But from a business stand point I don't see how Schaub can enter camp with a $14M cap number, especially with the season he had last year.

Of course, if we're talking about designating him a June 1st cut, we're not in any hurry to cut him until before the season starts.

But looking at the FA QBs out there; Freeman, Vick, McCown, McCoy..... Schaub's the most successful of the bunch.
Basically how I view it. Just too significant of a salary hit to justify a placeholder at the position. Looking at the past salaries of the free agents on the market he would have to take a significant cut to stay with the team when it comes down to the business side of things. I don't think Schaub is as bad as last season and would be an ok guy to have while developing a rookie but not at the cost he presently stands.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #16
Ben Frank
Rookie

Rep Power: 1431 Ben Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather give Josh McCown a 2 year contract and draft Teddy B, then keep Schaub..
Ben Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #17
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno, maybe Faulk knows what he's talking about, after all sometimes guys lose their stuff then mysteriously rediscover it. Ever hear of Brad Lidge ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #18
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Basically how I view it. Just too significant of a salary hit to justify a placeholder at the position. Looking at the past salaries of the free agents on the market he would have to take a significant cut to stay with the team when it comes down to the business side of things. I don't think Schaub is as bad as last season and would be an ok guy to have while developing a rookie but not at the cost he presently stands.
I think taking a pay cut goes without saying. I think Schaub is realistic enough to accept that if given a chance to stay on for one more year. After the way he was pushed aside, he may not want to stay anyway.

Despite what some think on this board, Schaub is far and away the best QB on the Texans as of now.

Old 01-28-2014   #19
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Eh, I don't know about best chance to win, but I'm not entirely sold on the idea that the team absolutely must part ways with Schaub and that there are no other options or recourse for him. I do believe that the Texans should not be the highest bidder for Schaub on an open market, but if there are ways to re-work his contract to decrease his cap hit and he's willing to do that then I don't understand why he would have to leave the team if that were the case.

I honestly don't think we should really have it in mind that the Texans are going to compete next year, no matter how many pieces come out in the offseason trying to link the Chiefs resurgence in 2013 with a possible Texans resurgence in 2014. Stuff that talks about what gives the Texans the best chance to win games are already trying to paint a similar picture and I do believe that righting the ship defensively (or a hot rookie QB) could give us just as good of a chance to win games in 2014.
Old 01-28-2014   #20
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I dunno, maybe Faulk knows what he's talking about, after all sometimes guys lose their stuff then mysteriously rediscover it. Ever hear of Brad Lidge ?
The thought that any of us armchair GM's think we know better than someone like Marshall Faulk is laughable anyway. Schaub had a bad year. It happens.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read