Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-24-2014   #481
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Texans hire Doug Coleman to be the asst STs coach. Looks like O'Brien's giving Lig a chance this season with this dude possibly looking over his shoulder.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...l-teams-coach/
And there's your fallback plan if Lig doesn't measure up.

Quote:
Colman played collegiately at the University of Nebraska from 1991-95 and was a part of five Big 8 Conference championships, back-to-back national titles in 1994 and 1995. Nebraska finished 25-0 during his final two seasons and went 23-0-1 in league play during his four-year career. In each of his four years, Nebraska played for the national championship, facing Miami (Fla.) in the 1992 Orange Bowl, Florida State in the 1994 Orange Bowl, Miami (Fla.) in the 1995 Orange Bowl and Florida in the 1996 Fiesta Bowl.

Following his collegiate career, Colman was drafted in the sixth round (171st overall pick) of the 1996 NFL Draft by the New York Giants. He played five seasons in the NFL (1996-2000), playing a total of 64 games for the Giants, Tennessee Titans (including Super Bowl XXXIV) and Cleveland Browns.

During his rookie season with the Giants in 1996, he was voted the "Special Teams Player of the Year" after leading the special teams in tackles. He received the same award in 1997 and 1998 and helped lead New York to the NFC East title.

Colman played with the 1999 AFC Champion Tennessee Titans, facing the St. Louis Rams in Super Bowl XXXIV. En route to the Super Bowl, Colman was on the field for the "Music City Miracle" against the Buffalo Bills and was awarded a game ball for that contest.

Following the 1999 campaign, he signed with the Oakland Raiders before making the Cleveland Browns' roster for the 2000 season. He also was with the New York Jets organization in 2001.
http://www.goccusports.com/sports/m-...020712aaa.html
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #482
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
And there's your fallback plan if Lig doesn't measure up.

http://www.goccusports.com/sports/m-...020712aaa.html
Yeah, I know it's STs but I really dig this hire. Like the Vrabel hire too

Kinda bummed we didn't get Munch. Maybe we can persuade Scarnecchia to forget retirement and come to Htown
Old 01-27-2014   #483
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully this guy shows better than he did in Atlanta...

Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez
Quote:
Dunn spent the past 6 seasons with the @Atlanta_Falcons. Benton spent the past 8 seasons as @HoustonTexans offensive live coach

Source tells @FOXSports that Paul Dunn is @HoustonTexans new offensive line coach & John Benton is @MiamiDolphins new asst o-line coach
Quote:
Before he was with the Falcons, he was the offensive line coach for the University of Pittsburgh from 2005-07. He has also coached at Kentucky, Kansas State, Vanderbilt, University of Cincinnati, Maine and Rutgers. Dunn will take one of Bill O'Brien's final position coaching spots.

He began his coaching career at Pitt as a graduate assistant in 1983.
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Quote:
Fun fact about Paul Dunn: He was Dan Marino's college roomate at Pitt.
Old 01-27-2014   #484
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163027 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

And he is Wades long lost brother!
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #485
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134590 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New England TE coach George Godsey to Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
I know. Just being facetious. But I do like all of these ex-pats finding refuge in Houston...see what I did there?
Heheheh. I see what you did there.

Seriously we are becoming the Patriots South. Just like we used to be Denver South.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #486
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 28464 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New England TE coach George Godsey to Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Heheheh. I see what you did there.

Seriously we are becoming the Patriots South. Just like we used to be Denver South.
I prefer to be Patriots South rather than Denver South. That system keeps being a success Patriots keep going to the playoffs and contending year in year out. Shannahan couldnt keep a job lol.
revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #487
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Don't know the guy. But I was hoping to get that guy from Iowa.
Old 01-28-2014   #488
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114327 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You mean that in a 6 year tenure 5 winning seasons, 4 playoff seasons, 5 seasons of being in the top 10 in the league in the fewest sacks allowed, and 4 seasons of having an RB that's top 10 in the league (yards per game) warrants a comment like that?
Old 01-28-2014   #489
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Dunn coached Charles Spencer at Pitt, and Spencer did not have anything good at all to say about Dunn.
Old 01-28-2014   #490
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

And he is Wades long lost brother!
lol, yeah he does

I've liked all of O'Brien's hires up until this one. I don't like this hire at all and of all the position coaches, this is one of the most important imo.

I reckon we had a lot of eggs in the Munchak basket, because this is obviously a last resort hire.
Old 01-28-2014   #491
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114327 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
lol, yeah he does

I've liked all of O'Brien's hires up until this one. I don't like this hire at all and of all the position coaches, this is one of the most important imo.

I reckon we had a lot of eggs in the Munchak basket, because this is obviously a last resort hire.
Just curious - what don't you like about it? (and I'm asking this question not knowing enough about him to have an opinion either way).
Old 01-28-2014   #492
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163027 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Just curious - what don't you like about it? (and I'm asking this question not knowing enough about him to have an opinion either way).
Falocns o line hasn't been that good and he was let go.
Old 01-28-2014   #493
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Sorry - "The O-Line hasn't been that good" just doesn't mean much to me.

I outlined in my previous quote where prior to last year, they'd been pretty good at both running the ball, and protecting the passer (as well as winning RS games). Last season they had new players at 4 OL positions (3 of them rookies), and a feature RB who was injured most of the season.

I guess I still don't see anything meaningful to me that says he's no good.
Old 01-28-2014   #494
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, they were bad. Everything they tried throughout the season failed. It was like they weren't prepared

Charles Spencer thinks it's a terrible hire. I asked him why, but doubtful he'll answer me. We'll see
Old 01-28-2014   #495
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Yes, they were bad. Everything they tried throughout the season failed. It was like they weren't prepared
Again, that's one season. There's 5 season previous to that where the results were much better.

Quote:
Charles Spencer thinks it's a terrible hire. I asked him why, but doubtful he'll answer me.
That's interesting, and I saw that someone else made essentially the same comment. Where are you seeing that?
Old 01-28-2014   #496
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

I just don't like how we go from ferentz, to Munchak, then back to Ferentz but in the end wind up with a Falcons castoff.

We know how getting someone from the Falcons turned out last time.....
Old 01-28-2014   #497
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Again, that's one season. There's 5 season previous to that where the results were much better.

That's interesting, and I saw that someone else made essentially the same comment. Where are you seeing that?
From his Tweets

Quote:
Charles Spencer Jr. ‏@CSpencer77 12h
Terrible RT @Zepp1978: #Texans RT @alexmarvez: Source tells @FOXSports that Paul Dunn is @HoustonTexans new offensive line coach
Quote:
he was there my senior year but coached? RT @PatDStat: @CSpencer77 did he coach you at Pitt?
Quote:
Poor Duane...
Quote:
You? Yeah me too... RT @jasonmcmeekin: @PatDStat @CSpencer77 now I'm really concerned
Old 01-28-2014   #498
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
You mean that in a 6 year tenure 5 winning seasons, 4 playoff seasons, 5 seasons of being in the top 10 in the league in the fewest sacks allowed, and 4 seasons of having an RB that's top 10 in the league (yards per game) warrants a comment like that?
Dunn was an assistant until 2012 when he took over the OL...
Quote:
Paul Dunn has been with Falcons since 2008, but 2012 is his first season at the helm of the O-line.

The season has been a rocky one at best. The Falcons offensive line has been inconsistent from week to week. While there has been a gradual improvement, they have proved to be the Falcons' biggest liability.
In 2013 Falcons were 32nd in rushing, 30th in Pass Blocking Efficiency, and 31st in Offensive Line rankings.

So yeah, the facts warrant the comment. ATL got worse under Dunn.
Old 01-28-2014   #499
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
From his Tweets
Thanks - obviously hadn't seen any of those.
Old 01-28-2014   #500
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Thanks - obviously hadn't seen any of those.
No worries. I just wish he'd give an explanation to why he feels that way.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read