Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-26-2014   #61
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ben Roethlisberger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Long thread for a simple answer ... no.
I think you're in the minority
Old 01-26-2014   #62
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52676 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
You say that like you think the majority opinion means anything.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014   #63
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Put me solidly in the minority camp then. Not just no, but he'll no. Never really liked the guy. There is something that rubs me the wrong way about the guy. I just don't see him as that good a QB. If we gave up a 2nd to get him, maybe he'd prove me wrong, but just not a fan. 2.1 is a pretty damn nice pick to have.

I'd almost rather take a QB in the 1st and 2nd and see what happens, even though that would be pretty unorthodox and we have a lot of holes to fill.

I just hate that some of our stars need to get to the SB in the next year or two and we'd be so much better off at the QB position tanking in 2014 and drafting high in 2015.
Old 01-26-2014   #64
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
You say that like you think the majority opinion means anything.
nope, just making an observation
Old 01-26-2014   #65
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Put me solidly in the minority camp then. Not just no, but he'll no. Never really liked the guy. There is something that rubs me the wrong way about the guy. I just don't see him as that good a QB. If we gave up a 2nd to get him, maybe he'd prove me wrong, but just not a fan. 2.1 is a pretty damn nice pick to have.

I'd almost rather take a QB in the 1st and 2nd and see what happens, even though that would be pretty unorthodox and we have a lot of holes to fill.

I just hate that some of our stars need to get to the SB in the next year or two and we'd be so much better off at the QB position tanking in 2014 and drafting high in 2015.
I've never liked him all that much either, but he would be far and away the best qb this team has ever had. And is head and shoulders better than anyone we could draft in the 1st or second round this year for this upcoming year
Old 01-27-2014   #66
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 72899 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

As far as Rape allegations go. I find it humorous that there was never a conviction. Personally, if someone raped me (Who could be so desperate?) there is no amount of money that would keep me from making sure that person paid with a prison term, losing everything they had in the process and branding them a rapist forever!

And yeah, if a woman wears a revealing shirt and her tits are hanging out, then she yells at someone for staring at her tits, I would say that it pretty stupid, and asking for trouble. A shirt that reads "I'm down to f...." speaks volumes about her character, and why she was there that night. The fact that after the fact someone possibly whispered in her ear "This is a payday girl" makes the whole thing suspect.

It's not like there are gold diggers out there right? Sure Ben is at fault for getting himself into that situation, and it speaks to his character flaws as well, but remind me again who is without them?

If Ben were a Rapist, he would not be able to stop, and would eventually get caught where a payoff would not work. Most likely, it was consensual, and turned into a "pay me or I will ruin your career" kind of a thing.

None of us were there, and he is not in jail, so take it for what it is worth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OBPaenkxdg

Oh and for the record, I would welcome Big Ben to the Texans with open arms, and agree he would be the best QB the club has ever had. But then again why not pick up Bortles in the draft who in my eyes is allot like Ben, and then you have your franchise guy. Will Bortles ever be as good as Ben? WTFK? But he certainly has the potential to be.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz

Last edited by Nitrofish; 01-27-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #67
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 5803 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected
Smile Re: Ben Roethlisberger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
As far as Rape allegations go. I find it humorous that there was never a conviction. Personally, if someone raped me (Who could be so desperate?) there is no amount of money that would keep me from making sure that person paid with a prison term, losing everything they had in the process and branding them a rapist forever!

And yeah, if a woman wears a revealing shirt and her tits are hanging out, then she yells at someone for staring at her tits, I would say that it pretty stupid, and asking for trouble. A shirt that reads "I'm down to f...." speaks volumes about her character, and why she was there that night. The fact that after the fact someone possibly whispered in her ear "This is a payday girl" makes the whole thing suspect.

It's not like there are gold diggers out there right? Sure Ben is at fault for getting himself into that situation, and it speaks to his character flaws as well, but remind me again who is without them?

If Ben were a Rapist, he would not be able to stop, and would eventually get caught where a payoff would not work. Most likely, it was consensual, and turned into a "pay me or I will ruin your career" kind of a thing.

Oh and for the record, I would welcome Big Ben to the Texans with open arms, and agree he would be the best QB the club has ever had. But then again why not pick up Bortles in the draft who in my eyes is allot like Ben, and then you have your franchise guy. Will Bortles ever be as good as Ben? WTFK? But he certainly has the potential to be.
I wouldn't rape you, but you could probably seduce me.
You all are making it sound like the female in Ben's case would be impossible to rape.

A big part of Ben's price would be the salary he required, from a team in cap trouble. I'd rather draft Bortles, or maybe Carr.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #68
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:

Being in Pittsburgh for a while Ben has done some really stupid stuff, it's not just the rape allegations, the motorcycle wrecks, the run ins with Teddy Bradshaw, the laziness in offseason antics, and other issues.

I'd say no, if the Roonies are looking to get rid of him it's because he's created a major issue that they can't work out and offloading him is their best choice with no QB in the waiting.. beware..

Now that all being said maybe he's turned the corner, but in his early years there have definitely been multiple incidents. It would require some investigation for sure.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #69
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As is the case with most things in life, there are more people wrong than right.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #70
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Being in Pittsburgh for a while Ben has done some really stupid stuff, it's not just the rape allegations, the motorcycle wrecks, the run ins with Teddy Bradshaw, the laziness in offseason antics, and other issues.

I'd say no, if the Roonies are looking to get rid of him it's because he's created a major issue that they can't work out and offloading him is their best choice with no QB in the waiting.. beware..

Now that all being said maybe he's turned the corner, but in his early years there have definitely been multiple incidents. It would require some investigation for sure.
There is a gigantic difference between wanting to get rid of someone and not wanting to pay someone like Peyton Manning. That difference more than swallows any thought of doing it to offload a two time SB winner because of misconduct/alleged misconduct a decade ago. If those were their primary issues they would have dumped him as a 1 SB winner with one of the worst SB QB performances ever instead of giving him his current contract.
Old 01-27-2014   #71
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
As is the case with most things in life, there are more people wrong than right.
Because they disagree with you?
Old 01-27-2014   #72
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #73
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 72899 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:

Todd Haily has done more to ruin that team than BR. As Cak said, if they look to move him, it is more about his salary than anything dumb he has done while with the Steelers.

Seems like you guys expect these guys to stop living their lives because they play football. So he had a motorcycle crash. So what? Is he not allowed to spend any of the cash he earned and ride a motorcycle? I mean if it is was in his contract ok, but geeeez. Give the guy a break.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #74
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Because they disagree with you?
Just a general statement.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #75
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
There is a gigantic difference between wanting to get rid of someone and not wanting to pay someone like Peyton Manning. That difference more than swallows any thought of doing it to offload a two time SB winner because of misconduct/alleged misconduct a decade ago. If those were their primary issues they would have dumped him as a 1 SB winner with one of the worst SB QB performances ever instead of giving him his current contract.
- his team voted him off as captain in 2010 (not too long ago)
- he has had multiple issues with his current offensive coordinator
- he was never able to finish a full year of getting the crap kicked out of him because he held onto the ball FOREVER.
- he's lazy in the offseason, look how fat he gets it's insane, and this isn't the first time it's been brought up.
- this is one of the first seasons he's started all 16 games!

The biggest problem with the Steelers is they no longer have Cowher.

Old 01-27-2014   #76
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Quote:
Todd Haily has done more to ruin that team than BR. As Cak said, if they look to move him, it is more about his salary than anything dumb he has done while with the Steelers.

Seems like you guys expect these guys to stop living their lives because they play football. So he had a motorcycle crash. So what? Is he not allowed to spend any of the cash he earned and ride a motorcycle? I mean if it is was in his contract ok, but geeeez. Give the guy a break.
whatever, I expect him to abide by his contract, and riding a motorcycle in Pittsburgh without a helmet was a dumb move, if you have lived there then you understand. Once of the worst city traffic patterns ever, and potholes everywhere and ridiculous conditions...

Nothing like going across a metal grate bridge in rain on a motorcycle.

Old 01-27-2014   #77
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I would trade for Ben.
Old 01-27-2014   #78
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I do not think the Steelers will let him go.

As for the Texans, I'd welcome him here in a heartbeat. Dude has the clutch-gene, and his two rings in three appearances prove it.

As far as the rape allegations, was he convicted? No. Why the rush to judgment when NONE of us were there. Seems like basing an OPINION on nothing more than hearsay, and most of the OPINIONS that bring it up don't like the guy to begin with. The tar and feather crowd are so sanctimonious in their condemnations that I marvel at the perfect lives they have always led. Y'all are amazing in your perfection.
Old 01-27-2014   #79
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
He's 32 yrs old ? How much are you willing to pay for a former SB winning QB that can give you 5-8 yrs of the best QB play this franchise has ever seen?
I don't see Ben lasting for 8 more years..like everyone says he's got about 5 left before he drops off a cliff....and we'd be extremely fortunate to have 3 of those 5 highly productive with no injuries based on how he plays.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #80
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
- his team voted him off as captain in 2010 (not too long ago)
No they did not elect him captain when he was about to serve a 6 game suspension for an assault allegation which was ultimately dropped by the supposed victim and declined to prosecute by the DA. Next election he was back to team captain.

Quote:
- he has had multiple issues with his current offensive coordinator
An OC who many thought was a poor choice, who has accomplished no improvement of the O and there is conjecture may not return next season.

Quote:
- he was never able to finish a full year of getting the crap kicked out of him because he held onto the ball FOREVER.
Pull out the non-football reasons and he hasn't missed much time at all - 7 games in 10 seasons.

Quote:
- he's lazy in the offseason, look how fat he gets it's insane, and this isn't the first time it's been brought up.
Don't care because he performs during the season.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read