Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-25-2014   #21
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ben Roethlisberger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
Giving up 2.1 for Big Ben would make it easier to make a trade with Cleveland and try and get those 2 1st rounders and maybe a 3rd or picks next year. Target a top defensive player and a lineman with those 2 1st rounders and look to provide secondary help in the 3rd.

I'm not saying I would want them to go this route, I haven't thought enough about it to form a strong opinion one way or another, but it does improve the QB play and allows other holes to be filled as well.
Why would it make it easier to trade with Cleveland?
Old 01-25-2014   #22
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
He's an older 32, though. He's taken some hits.
I'd take 5 years of Big Ben in a heartbeat for a 2nd.
Old 01-25-2014   #23
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I would too.

And, certainly, all those people who believe certain QBs have championship intangibles and others do not, would trade away 1.1 for a few years with Big Ben... especially since those also to tend to be the same people that believe in gambling heavily against the future for a shot at the Superbowl... because "that's the only thing that matters".
Old 01-25-2014   #24
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

No way this happens.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #25
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

With Munchak being named Steelers OC, I suspect that there is no way that Big Ben goes anywhere. With Munchak, Ben can expect much better protection....in turn, with less likelihood for injury.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #26
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
With Munchak being named Steelers OC, I suspect that there is no way that Big Ben goes anywhere.
Munchak went to the Steelers as the O-line coach. He'll need to get better players if the Steelers are to improve their pass protection. Getting the running game going might help the most. 27th in rushing is not Steeler football.

I don't think Ben is going anywhere and I do think O'Brien wants to get his own guy. Sounds like a complete fabrication with no basis in fact.
Old 01-25-2014   #27
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Munchak went to the Steelers as the O-line coach. He'll need to get better players if the Steelers are to improve their pass protection. Getting the running game going might help the most. 27th in rushing is not Steeler football.

I don't think Ben is going anywhere and I do think O'Brien wants to get his own guy. Sounds like a complete fabrication with no basis in fact.
Concur. If Big Ben was going somewhere it would have been after he was accused of forcing himself on an inebriated Coed in Georgia several years ago.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #28
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wouldn't even hesitate. Man walks in the door and instantly becomes the best QB the Houston Texans have ever had on their roster.
Old 01-25-2014   #29
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Wouldn't even hesitate. Man walks in the door and instantly becomes the best QB the Houston Texans have ever had on their roster.
C'mon guys Ben Roethlisberger is not Texan worthy

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #30
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
No to Roethlisberger. The price is just too high for a QB near the end of his career.
If he's near the end of his career, his career has several more productive years left.

He played some of the best football of his career in the last half of the season.
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #31
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Concur. If Big Ben was going somewhere it would have been after he was accused of forcing himself on an inebriated Coed in Georgia several years ago.
Yes, forcing himself on a coed who, along with her friends, was wearing a T-shirt that declared, "Down to F..."

By the way, he's married and a father (and about to have No. 2). Give him an f-ing break.
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014   #32
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I am going to say no thanks for same reasons noted that Steelers don't want to pay him big money
So you don't believe BoB when he says he believes this will be a quick turnaround?

If I'm BoB and I truly beleive this (which I don't) then I'm all in on Big Ben.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014   #33
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Always liked Ben.

Would be interesting as a temporary measure.
Temporary?

5 yrs? I'm in
Old 01-26-2014   #34
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
So you don't believe BoB when he says he believes this will be a quick turnaround?

If I'm BoB and I truly beleive this (which I don't) then I'm all in on Big Ben.
I don't think the Steelers would take anything but something we would consider highway robbery (something that starts with 1.1 + X, y...) so I don't expect it to happen but if he were offered as described it would be a no brainer. I would even do it for 1.1 alone.
Old 01-26-2014   #35
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
Giving up 2.1 for Big Ben would make it easier to make a trade with Cleveland and try and get those 2 1st rounders and maybe a 3rd or picks next year. Target a top defensive player and a lineman with those 2 1st rounders and look to provide secondary help in the 3rd.

I'm not saying I would want them to go this route, I haven't thought enough about it to form a strong opinion one way or another, but it does improve the QB play and allows other holes to be filled as well.
^^^^
This, except I would love it if they wnt this route. Ben has atleast 5 yrs left in him. The best QB yrs Texans fans wii have ever seen.

If Rick gets Clowney and Big Ben in the same draft, then my hat's off to him. QB problem solved for the next 5 yrs. Premier pass rusher to helpout Watt and draft a serviceable RT in Rd.3 and trade up to get NT Justin Ellis and I'm a happy man coming out of this draft.

Pick a RB lie Dyer or Crowell in the 6-7th rd keep them out of trouble for a couple of yrs and this will be a spectacular draft.
Old 01-26-2014   #36
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
No to Roethlisberger. The price is just too high for a QB near the end of his career.
He's 32 yrs old ? How much are you willing to pay for a former SB winning QB that can give you 5-8 yrs of the best QB play this franchise has ever seen?
Old 01-26-2014   #37
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Texans just need to draft their QB period. They could have drafted Ben. They could have drafted Flacco. They could have drafted Foles (owned both later picks before trading back) ENOUGH! Figure it out boyz on Kirby
Is Big Ben better than any QB in this draft? His rings speak loudly.
Old 01-26-2014   #38
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I would too.

And, certainly, all those people who believe certain QBs have championship intangibles and others do not, would trade away 1.1 for a few years with Big Ben... especially since those also to tend to be the same people that believe in gambling heavily against the future for a shot at the Superbowl... because "that's the only thing that matters".
Tell me again how this would be betting heavily against the future?

Check your PM BOX
Old 01-26-2014   #39
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Tell me more about inebriated coeds in Ga?
Old 01-26-2014   #40
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't think the Steelers would take anything but something we would consider highway robbery (something that starts with 1.1 + X, y...) so I don't expect it to happen but if he were offered as described it would be a no brainer. I would even do it for 1.1 alone.
Agreed, but I'm not a cap expert?

How would they fit him under the cap?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read