Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-23-2014   #21
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90121 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Only one like him in first round

Mosley would definitely be on the field in Nickel and Dime situations. He's the best coverage ILB I've seen in quite a few years. Also, Cushing's leg injuries have sapped him of some mobility. Might not be a bad idea to get a more athletic ILB in there to play the Bowman role and let Cushing be your downhill enforcer like Patrick Willis.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #22
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
I'm there w/ you on Merciless.

You think Braman has a future in the NFL though? I respect that if you do. I personally think he should be thankful a team is using a roster spot on him.
I don't know if he has a future or not. I just don't have any faith in any of the old coaches to develop talent. He has the measurables. I'm looking forward to seeing what our rookie has too. Just glad we have new coaches and hope they can do something with these guys.
Old 01-23-2014   #23
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

If we were to go Mosley first, and the draft fell like this, I wouldn't be unhappy

1 ILB C.J. MOSLEY ALABAMA-as Corrosion has mentioned, best football player
33 S HA’SEAN CLINTON-DIX ALABAMA-always wanted a top safety
65 QB ZACH METTENBERGER LSU- boom or bust
97 DT KELCY QUARLES SOUTH CAROLINA-keeping with up the middle theme
129 RB CHARLES SIMS WVU-Houston boy comes back home-we need help here
161 WR MIKE DAVIS TEXAS-finally a burner
193 CB ROSS COCKRELL DUKE-this little dud is gritty

Courtesy of mock draft simulator (there's a thread)

Tried to go with best player and keeping in mind team needs. I think our OL is going to be fine with players getting healthy, new coaching and maybe FA
Old 01-24-2014   #24
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
If we were to go Mosley first, and the draft fell like this, I wouldn't be unhappy

Tried to go with best player and keeping in mind team needs. I think our OL is going to be fine with players getting healthy, new coaching and maybe FA
Let me guess? SEC Bias?
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #25
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let me guess? SEC Bias?
Not at all. I don't even like the SEC. I was just going with the best players and filling my perceived needs of the team.
Old 01-24-2014   #26
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I doubt Nix is there @ 33. Might not be there if you had Cleveland's #26. I think he comes off the board between 15 & 25.
Also don't see the need for another early round safety when we took Swearinger early last season pending Manning returns which I believe he will as you aren't going to replace him with a comparable player with the difference between his dead money and cap savings. He's right around market value for the position.

I also don't believe the OL can be neglected , especially RT and to some extent LG as Wade Smith really fell off last year. Smith only has a $750k cap hit if cut. Newton is just over $15k in dead money should they send his ass packing. (Not saying either gets cut but its entirely possible).
The Texans talked to "just about every OL at the SR Bowl". That seems like a clue to me that they want to improve in the trenches. Where in the draft is anyone's guess but if they are talking to guy's expected to go in the early part of round 1 ... you almost have to pencil in an OL in the first 2-3 picks.

Kelcy Quarles is likely a late second to 3rd rounder.

In keeping with the spirit of your draft above , I'd so something like the following:

1 - Mosley
2 - Antonio Richardson (Tenn. OT)
3 - Mettenberger
4 - Lache Seastrunk (Baylor RB)
5 - Ryan Carrethers (Arkansas St. DT)
6 -
7 -

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #27
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

The Texans talked to "just about every OL at the SR Bowl".
I hadn't heard this.
Old 01-24-2014   #28
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hadn't heard this.
back to drawing board JB

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #29
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
back to drawing board JB
yeah, I was thinking we could pick up a FA for OL, along with what we currently have on the roster but will go with the flow.

I still think our biggest needs are up the middle on def and overall team speed.
Old 01-24-2014   #30
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 149849 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Yeah, the jury is still out on Nix's injury(ies) but what have you seen from Carrethers that would counter the claims from the "Professional" draftnics that "he's just a 'big body on the field'"?

Just axin because that's all I'm hearing/reading about him.
2013: 87 tackles with 8 for loss and 4 sacks. even for that schedule is amazing. 6' 330 and not a tub of lard. Should fit what little of what we know about defense. He has to be even with Mitchell by game one. If that is correct, a starter from 5th round is crazy good.
Old 01-24-2014   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 149849 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Cyril got pushed around I thought. Was it the senior bowl or east-west?
he was in 3 point stance more than with Baylor. I think he will be fine. Spent a lot of time last night thinking of how to draft to correct Oline and I think Jawuan James from Tenn is way to go. Avail top of 4th & if he cannot beat out RT candidates Williams and Newton, he should be able to move to RG and allow Brooks to go LG. I like Q but never saw much of him & hesitate to put eggs in his basket without more info.
Old 01-24-2014   #32
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37823 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You think Braman has a future in the NFL though?
I would be surprised if he isn't starting for the Texans next season.
kingtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #33
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
I would be surprised if he isn't starting for the Texans next season.
With Reed & Merciless still on the roster I have to ask: are you serious?
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #34
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37823 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
With Reed & Merciless still on the roster I have to ask: are you serious?
Absolutely. He has better effort than either of them, and with the new LB coach I could see him reaching his potential this year and getting his shot.
kingtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #35
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
he was in 3 point stance more than with Baylor. I think he will be fine. Spent a lot of time last night thinking of how to draft to correct Oline and I think Jawuan James from Tenn is way to go. Avail top of 4th & if he cannot beat out RT candidates Williams and Newton, he should be able to move to RG and allow Brooks to go LG. I like Q but never saw much of him & hesitate to put eggs in his basket without more info.
may have to rethink Cyril as he got beat by speed in tonight's Senior Bowl. Still think Jawuan James is RT for us. If we have extra picks, probably look at Gabe Jackson for LG.
Old 01-25-2014   #36
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
may have to rethink Cyril as he got beat by speed in tonight's Senior Bowl. Still think Jawuan James is RT for us. If we have extra picks, probably look at Gabe Jackson for LG.
I'd be satisfied with either of the Tennessee OT's Antonio Richardson or James ... Wonder if Richardson falls to 3:1 , would be a steal there as most have him as a 2nd rounder. James would have exceptional value at 4:1.

Would be nice to find a trade down scenario where you could land a QB in the top 10 along with Richardson & Trent Murphy.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014   #37
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83329 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Unfortunately, I think Antonio Richardson goes in the top 25 and James will go in the late 2nd (I have him as my #64 prospect right now). They are both severely underrated right now. I take Richardson at #33 no question if he is still there somehow. Franchise LT potential. James will be a very solid RT. If he's there at 3.1 I take him (unless the position has already been addressed by then).

Not really a fan of Cyril. Has potential but I hope he goes elsewhere.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014   #38
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I'd be satisfied with either of the Tennessee OT's Antonio Richardson or James ... Wonder if Richardson falls to 3:1 , would be a steal there as most have him as a 2nd rounder. James would have exceptional value at 4:1.

Would be nice to find a trade down scenario where you could land a QB in the top 10 along with Richardson & Trent Murphy.
Trent Murphy from Stanford? There is talk emerging of him plummeting down boards after the senior bowl. Or am I getting draft overload?
Old 01-26-2014   #39
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90121 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Not really a fan of Cyril. Has potential but I hope he goes elsewhere.
Really struggled against speed at Senior Bowl. Jackson wasn't as powerful as most thought he would be, but was solid.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 01-26-2014   #40
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Trent Murphy from Stanford? There is talk emerging of him plummeting down boards after the senior bowl. Or am I getting draft overload?
If he puts up good numbers at the combine then he will be fine. He struggled at the Senior Bowl playing DE. Should probably just stay as a stand-up 3-4 OLB.

- The Immortal Bo

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read