Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-25-2014   #41
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: what QB are you projecting in the top ten next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
So steelbluetexan wanted patterson end of 1st, then give up 3 oher picks for bray? Lol
Trading down has nothing to do with giving up picks. Please try to stay on point.

However I would've traded up for Bray. I think he's that good.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Bray would be my #1 QB in this draft.

A little unrelated.... just to throw this out there concerning "size"

I would have an issue drafting Teddy Bridgewater at Tyler Bray's size

6'6" 215lbs..... lanky, probably won't be able to take a lot of hits at the NFL level. At 6'6" he should be in the 230-240 range.
Old 01-25-2014   #43
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Your infatuation with size is really weird.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Well it's one of the things a player is graded on until we fall in love with him & want him at all costs with the #1 overall.
Old 01-25-2014   #45
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Well it's one of the things a player is graded on until we fall in love with him & want him at all costs with the #1 overall.
You are correct that it is ONE thing a prospect is graded on. But it is not the most important (to most, at least), and nor should 10-15 pounds (I can't remember your exact numbers) be the difference between you being upset with the pick or ecstatic with the pick.
Old 01-25-2014   #46
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not uncommon even among NFL scouts/teams -- every year you see teams draft height/weight/speed where other teams don't have same guy on their board because of his tape/Senior Bowl practices/or the like. So he's not alone, but agree it can be hazardous to your wealth.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #47
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

In general teams have assigned their own specific measreables to each position, then evaluate how well they carry/move that weight/size/strength/speed. AT some point durability enters equation along with associated risks, so they must sign off if borderline size prospect is worth that risk for investment. Ideally high risk high reward checks off all the boxes except those you can't measure like passion for the game, heart, football intelligence (sorry wonderlic) intangibles.

Let's just use Manziel for example. Less than ideal size, but he can carry his weight w/elite mobility range. So his draft stock is based on the more difficult & elusive measurements, intangibles. Johnny possess rare leadership ability with swag (will turn off some teams/fans) Innate instincts to process time & space (pocket presence) elite, however how much does height/size play in his ability to make progressions while in the pocket, hence his propensity to escape & throw on the run. A team can succeed with Manziel using a system tailor made to utilize his strengths, not specific but somewhat based off initial prospect measureables.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
You are correct that it is ONE thing a prospect is graded on. But it is not the most important (to most, at least), and nor should 10-15 pounds (I can't remember your exact numbers) be the difference between you being upset with the pick or ecstatic with the pick.
I see.

Supposedly he played at 205 this past season. I don't think he was even 200lbs. Supposedly he lost weight when he had his jaw wired over the previous summer. I understand he was playing football & working out, but I don't think (& it's just me) that he would have had trouble gaining it back if his natural weight was in fact 205, 210.

So now he knows weight is an issue, he should be working really hard to get his weight up. If he's working his butt off & weighs in at 210lbs at the combine... well, his natural body weight is still below 210 & he'll probably mature into a 210, 215 lb frame.

If he weighs in at 215, then that means the "lost weight story" & "hard to gain weight while playing football" stories are more believable. He's probably closer to his natural weight & 6'3" 215 is a decent weight for a QB. Contrary to popular belief, these little guys don't put on much weight with an NFL S&C program.
Old 01-25-2014   #49
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yep

Patterson is beeter than Hopkins. IMHO

Bray would be my #1 QB in this draft. The guy has all of the ability in the world. Do you find it curious that Bray played better than Daniels (Even though Daniels was paid 2 mil in FA.) and appeared to have beaten out Daniels for QB2.

So far I stand by my eval. I don't care that Bray went UDFA. If he had signed with the Texans the Texans wouldn't be looking at drafting a QB or picking 1-1. IMHO

Carry on with your TB lovefest.
You don't go from #1 qb drafted to unfa in a yr. For the record, I liked bray as a 3rd rd guy last yr. From what my friends said,who are scouts is that he's football dumb and immature. For the most part,he had 2 1st rd wrs and was still very inconsistent.

Its ok to be wrong,we all are. Hell I thought the texans should've drafted geno smith. Geno was more cold than hot and now he's in a fight for his football life. I may be proven right or very wrong in the near future,but I'm not stubborn enough to try to convince myself I'm right.

Btw, this thread proves a lot in terms of qb eval. You keep saying wait till next yr,just like people kept saying wait till next yr. I'm going to say right now, next yr there will be 2 qbs with a high 1st rd grade and only 1 of which, winston, who will have a grade higher than bridgewater. Petty,hogan,mariotta will not once the scouts get into them. See David Fales,Matt Barkley,Landry Jones.
Old 01-25-2014   #50
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
I see.

Supposedly he played at 205 this past season. I don't think he was even 200lbs. Supposedly he lost weight when he had his jaw wired over the previous summer. I understand he was playing football & working out, but I don't think (& it's just me) that he would have had trouble gaining it back if his natural weight was in fact 205, 210.

So now he knows weight is an issue, he should be working really hard to get his weight up. If he's working his butt off & weighs in at 210lbs at the combine... well, his natural body weight is still below 210 & he'll probably mature into a 210, 215 lb frame.

If he weighs in at 215, then that means the "lost weight story" & "hard to gain weight while playing football" stories are more believable. He's probably closer to his natural weight & 6'3" 215 is a decent weight for a QB. Contrary to popular belief, these little guys don't put on much weight with an NFL S&C program.
Why are 10-15 lbs the difference between fury and ecstasy? This post does not address that one iota.
Old 01-25-2014   #51
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Why are 10-15 lbs the difference between fury and ecstasy? This post does not address that one iota.
When we're talking about athletes such as these, we're talking about 10-15 lbs of muscle. That's a huge difference. even 5 lbs is a big difference.

If we're talking about couch potatoes, or soccer moms, it's not.
Old 01-25-2014   #52
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
When we're talking about athletes such as these, we're talking about 10-15 lbs of muscle. That's a huge difference. even 5 lbs is a big difference.

Difference in what? Why will 10-15 pounds make him a better NFL QB?
Old 01-25-2014   #53
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Difference in what? Why will 10-15 pounds make him a better NFL QB?
I know right? Durability, but it's not like he will not add weight after leaving College, in the pros with trainer/nutrientist not to mention natural maturity.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 01-25-2014   #54
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No we aren't, 10-15 pounds of pure muscle takes years to build, even for professional athletes. If Teddy were to hypothetically weigh 200 lbs at the end of December, and then weigh 215 at the combine, that is NOT muscle.
matts290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #55
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
In general teams have assigned their own specific measreables to each position, then evaluate how well they carry/move that weight/size/strength/speed. AT some point durability enters equation along with associated risks, so they must sign off if borderline size prospect is worth that risk for investment. Ideally high risk high reward checks off all the boxes except those you can't measure like passion for the game, heart, football intelligence (sorry wonderlic) intangibles.

Let's just use Manziel for example. Less than ideal size, but he can carry his weight w/elite mobility range. So his draft stock is based on the more difficult & elusive measurements, intangibles. Johnny possess rare leadership ability with swag (will turn off some teams/fans) Innate instincts to process time & space (pocket presence) elite, however how much does height/size play in his ability to make progressions while in the pocket, hence his propensity to escape & throw on the run. A team can succeed with Manziel using a system tailor made to utilize his strengths, not specific but somewhat based off initial prospect measureables.
If Manziel was behind a solid Oline would he remain in the pocket after he learned to trust them?
Old 01-25-2014   #56
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I never saw anything from Bray. Sure, he looks the part, but according to all reports he's immature and not exactly the smartest guy. I don't really see any difference between him and Mallet. Both are big guys with strong arms, but they can't move and they have maturity issues.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #57
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I know right? Durability, but it's not like he will not add weight after leaving College, in the pros with trainer/nutrientist not to mention natural maturity.
Durability is the main concern. Not everyone will gain weight when they get into the NFL.... look at Matt McGloin, I don't think Michael Vick ever gained any weight.

Look, you guys can ignore the size issue as it pertains to Bridgewater, that's fine. You can minimize it as well. Sooner or later, you're going to realize that you're saying, "Close enough" too many times.

Maybe this is a new NFL, maybe the game has passed me up.....

At 6'1" 210lbs, there were concerns about Michael Vick being to frail to play in the NFL. Atlanta took him with the #1 pick overall. That's all I'm saying, it should be a concern.
Old 01-25-2014   #58
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Durability is the main concern. Not everyone will gain weight when they get into the NFL.... look at Matt McGloin, I don't think Michael Vick ever gained any weight.

Look, you guys can ignore the size issue as it pertains to Bridgewater, that's fine. You can minimize it as well. Sooner or later, you're going to realize that you're saying, "Close enough" too many times.

Maybe this is a new NFL, maybe the game has passed me up.....

At 6'1" 210lbs, there were concerns about Michael Vick being to frail to play in the NFL. Atlanta took him with the #1 pick overall. That's all I'm saying, it should be a concern.
At least you're consistent about the size,but lemme add this. Its really how you absorb hits. Big Ben has missed a lot of games recently and he's 250lbs. No matter how big and strong you are,you can't hold the ball and get dragged down by 300lb men. I've stood next to rodgers before and 220 is a lie. He's not a big guy and he's been hurt from guys landing on him. Whether TB is 210,205,or 215, its about getting rid of the ball. Of course qb get hit, but when u can process the info and get rid of the ball,you're not gonna take a lot hits. Manning didn't get hit a lot despite playing without the all pro clady,the rt,and the center. Why? Getting rid of the ball. That's what its about. Brees hasn't missed a game because he doesn't take shots,not because he's 6'4 250lbs. Warren Moon didn't miss games either and we all know he wasn't a big guy.
Old 01-25-2014   #59
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
At least you're consistent about the size,but lemme add this. Its really how you absorb hits. Big Ben has missed a lot of games recently and he's 250lbs. No matter how big and strong you are,you can't hold the ball and get dragged down by 300lb men.
No doubt about it. I think Big 'ol Jamarcus Russell didn't like being hit by grown men, again & again, & again, & again.

Little David Carr never missed a game.

Quote:
Whether TB is 210,205,or 215, its about getting rid of the ball. Of course qb get hit, but when u can process the info and get rid of the ball,you're not gonna take a lot hits. Manning didn't get hit a lot despite playing without the all pro clady,the rt,and the center. Why? Getting rid of the ball. That's what its about. Brees hasn't missed a game because he doesn't take shots,not because he's 6'4 250lbs. Warren Moon didn't miss games either and we all know he wasn't a big guy.
Again, if you want to draft him at 1-1, go for it. I'd have my concerns.
Old 01-25-2014   #60
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If Manziel was behind a solid Oline would he remain in the pocket after he learned to trust them?
really? Johnny Manziel had Luke Joeckel @ LT (2nd overall pick in 2013) & Jake Matthews the #1 rated OT this year as his tackles, lol

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read