Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-24-2014   #1261
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 10496 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I think he's 6'3" while wearing 2" spikes...
Not sure that matters since he won't play barefoot.
Dishman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #1262
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post

This is actually kinda funny, though not intentionally on your part.
Oh it was very intentional. And Yes it's funny how easily it was to keep you busy. You must have a serious man crush to get that upset and continue on like that.

So has the INTERN come out with any new "scouting reports" today?
Old 01-24-2014   #1263
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishman View Post
Yeh but his OL won't be playing barefoot either so it does matter.
Old 01-24-2014   #1264
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Oh it was very intentional. And Yes it's funny how easily it was to keep you busy. You must have a serious man crush to get that upset and continue on like that.

Quote:
Not yet, though he did an in-depth analysis of Clowney's 2013 game against Tennessee which is in the appropriate thread.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #1265
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 71957 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Neither will his opposition.
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #1266
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Will you guys just **** already so this thread can move on?
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #1267
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 10496 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeh but his OL won't be playing barefoot either so it does matter.
If he's 6ft 3in in spikes that's adequate height for the position regardless of his OL playing barefoot or in spikes. Guys like Wilson and Brees seem to get by and they're shorter than 6ft 1in.
Old 01-24-2014   #1268
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If he's 6ft 3in in spikes that's adequate height for the position regardless of his OL playing barefoot or in spikes. Guys like Wilson and Brees seem to get by and they're shorter than 6ft 1in.
I don't know if Teddy is that short, but part of Brees and Wilson's success is using the oline to create passing lanes so the height isn't a huge issue, though I will say that I always thought it was funny to see people, during the draft, worry about Wilson's ability to see over his linemen when Wisconsin had averaged out as tallest oline that year.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #1269
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Will you guys just **** already so this thread can move on?
My apologies.
Old 01-24-2014   #1270
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Quote:
I don't know if Teddy is that short, but part of Brees and Wilson's success is using the oline to create passing lanes so the height isn't a huge issue, though I will say that I always thought it was funny to see people, during the draft, worry about Wilson's ability to see over his linemen when Wisconsin had averaged out as tallest oline that year.
Keenum and Manziel listed at 6 ft 1 in. Elway and Moon check in at 6ft 3in, Montana 6ft 2in.

I'm not totally discounting height, but as you can see, and noted, lacking prototypical height can be overcome.

By the way: Ryan Leaf 6ft 5in, JaMarcus Russell 6ft 6in. Prototypical height helped their draft value, but didn't cement their franchise QB status or NFL success.
Old 01-24-2014   #1271
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98526 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he'll check in at a little over 6'2 and probably around 215 lbs. I think he played at about 195-200 this year, but the biggest criticism on him right now is size so you can bet his agent has him working with someone right now to put weight on.

I also don't believe that hand size is an issue with him. The guy wears gloves. So what. Peyton wore gloves last week and Brady tends to wear gloves an awful lot. Wearing gloves is not an indication of small hands. It's all just speculation at this point.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #1272
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
Man I can't wait until the combine, so many questions will be answered including Teddy's true size/height/hands. He says himself he is 6"3, but a lot of people are saying he will measure in closer to 6"1.

The real question, is size&wieght. In that picture, he looks pretty stout. 6'1" 205ish...... or 6'3" 215ish

The problem, for me is if he's 6'3" 205

Before Michael Vick was drafted some people were worried about his size. With his style of play, they didn't feel like he would be able to play a full season.

That's my concern with Bridgewater. Knowing what you know now, would you have drafted Vick with the #1 overall?

I know his playing style is different, but he was a solid 215. If Bridgewater measures 6'3" 205, or 210..... even sitting in the pocket I find it hard to see him playing 16 games a year in the big boys league.

Think David Carr, how many times he got hit. Dude kept getting back up, but that kind of toughness is rare. And three years in, he couldn't look downfield any more.
Old 01-24-2014   #1273
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure you want to mess around that much with his weight, it could affect his fluidity. Core strength, yes, ability to improve on his long ball, yes, but adding weight just to add it on to make him seem more prototypical an exercise wasted. I'm more interested in his forty compared to Manziel who we know is fast

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #1274
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38637 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is he using an NCAA-size ball or an NFL one? I only ask because he's not wearing gloves here.
i'd think i'd be kinda pointless to train for the combine/proday/personal workouts with teams, with an NCAA regulation size ball instead of an NFL one.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #1275
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I'm not sure you want to mess around that much with his weight, it could affect his fluidity. Core strength, yes, ability to improve on his long ball, yes, but adding weight just to add it on to make him seem more prototypical an exercise wasted. I'm more interested in his forty compared to Manziel who we know is fast
Never thought I'd see the day when a QB's 40 would be more important than his size.

Even Bridgewater's staunchest defender knows his effectiveness in the pocket is more important than what he can do outside the pocket; now & in the future. The ability to make plays outside the pocket is a plus & it's becoming more & more important, But I rarely ever want to see the guy cross the LOS.
Old 01-24-2014   #1276
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the size stuff is overblown. I watched him quite a bit and I don't ever thinking to myself he looked small.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #1277
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

If it all plays out where he's the pick and the main concern with our QB is his SIZE coming out of COLLEGE, I'd say we're in good shape.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #1278
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Never thought I'd see the day when a QB's 40 would be more important than his size.

Even Bridgewater's staunchest defender knows his effectiveness in the pocket is more important than what he can do outside the pocket; now & in the future. The ability to make plays outside the pocket is a plus & it's becoming more & more important, But I rarely ever want to see the guy cross the LOS.
which is what Manziel does far more than Bridgewater. what I want to dispel is this notion that Teddy can't create outside the pocket when he has to with his legs while going through his progressions on the run. Face it, competition is the fuel of athletes we feed on. Luck does this a lot & crosses the line, only difference is he's a bigger guy

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014   #1279
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
which is what Manziel does far more than Bridgewater. what I want to dispel is this notion that Teddy can't create outside the pocket when he has to with his legs while going through his progressions on the run. Face it, competition is the fuel of athletes we feed on. Luck does this a lot & crosses the line, only difference is he's a bigger guy
What's Luck's 40?

Irrelevant? Yes.
Old 01-25-2014   #1280
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Well you better get used to it. It's the way things are now. The rules are already there to protect the QB outside the pocket. I want a guy capable of making plays outside when things breakdown but smart enough to use the rules in his favor.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read