Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-24-2014   #81
guichows6
Rookie

Default Re: Richard Sherman's Big Mouth

Anyone that has a problem with Sherman is just a hater. Not everyone is like you. People are different and they act different. Hes done more good for this world in his 24 yrs of life then any of you haters ever will. Smh.
Old 01-24-2014   #82
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98334 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
Ali was villified for being a self-confident, borderline-arrogant, powerfully masculine, elite Black male athlete, while in his prime.

Same rings true for the following:
Jack Johnson
Chad Johnson
Terrell Owens
Michael Vick
Floyd Mayweather
Anderson Silva
Jim Brown
Mike Tyson
Michael Irvin
Barry Bonds

Richard just needed to know that white folks in America like their Black athletes smiling, and quiet. This is true ESPECIALLY if their on-field performance is ELITE.

Ask the Williams Sisters about that. Ask Tiger Woods about that. Ask Michael Jordan about that. After Jordan's Hall of Fame speech, all I kept hearing about was how mean he was. Then, I watched it, and all I saw was him speaking his mind about everything his life was about in public, for once in his life. He made white folks uncomfortable, and they called him "mean."

When you hear "thug" attributed to a Black male with no criminal record or history of aberrant public behavior, KNOW that it IS an attempt by a racist to communicate his frustration, without using "THAT" word to do so.

/truthful rant
You never cease to amaze with your shameful rhetoric.

You make a post like this with Mike Tyson and Mike Vick as your examples? Might as well add Michael Jackson to that list and then you could have a triple crown of rapists. Oh, but Jim Brown is there, so that should be good enough to qualify since he has beaten more women probably than any other athlete.

And this is who you use as examples? Dex you are a total detriment to your message.

And Anderson Silva? He isn't black you dolt. He is Brazilian and has nothing to do with American blacks. lol!
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #83
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98334 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by guichows6 View Post
Anyone that has a problem with Sherman is just a hater. Not everyone is like you. People are different and they act different. Hes done more good for this world in his 24 yrs of life then any of you haters ever will. Smh.
What a lazy way of thinking. Oh, anyone who doesn't like a guy who acts like a total ass is a hater? What are you 12?

I have no problem with Sherman and I find his play to be very exciting. However he does act like an ass and I can understand why people are turned off by it. The criticism may be way over board, but to call anyone a hater who doesn't agree with his antics sounds childish. A lot of people are naive to what is said on the field and some people are just old school and believe in respect and sportsmanship. God forbid that idealism stays alive. I disagree with all of the whining about Sherman especially when it is towards a guy like Crabtree who has been a jerk for years. I also understand why it bothers people a little though. It isn't hard to understand.
Old 01-24-2014   #84
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
What a lazy way of thinking. Oh, anyone who doesn't like a guy who acts like a total ass is a hater? What are you 12?

I have no problem with Sherman and I find his play to be very exciting. However he does act like an ass and I can understand why people are turned off by it. The criticism may be way over board, but to call anyone a hater who doesn't agree with his antics sounds childish. A lot of people are naive to what is said on the field and some people are just old school and believe in respect and sportsmanship. God forbid that idealism stays alive. I disagree with all of the whining about Sherman especially when it is towards a guy like Crabtree who has been a jerk for years. I also understand why it bothers people a little though. It isn't hard to understand.
With all due respect Tex I think he really may be a kid. Cut him a break.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #85
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
With all due respect Tex I think he really may be a kid. Cut him a break.
I wouldn't argue with that theory.
Old 01-24-2014   #86
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 40182 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

When did this perception of old school cordial behavior come about?
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #87
guichows6
Rookie

Quote:

Well ok then old fellers. ..I guess I'm just a lost child. Ill be that. It still doesn't change the fact that you are a hater. Why does sherman have to be like you and be respectful when a sorry wide receiver like Crabtree has been talking crap all game? All the great ones have been caught being "unclassy" at some point in their careers. They didnt grow up learning about life with a silver spoon in their mouths. (Most of the great ones at least). And even if they did, when you are passionate about something, passion will come out of your mouth when your adrenaline is in full effect mode. Im not trying to make this a race thing, but if tom brady or Peyton manning had said that I doubt they would be labeled a "thug". If the black man comes out yelling like sherman did, immediately he's a thug. Erin Andrews got scared and probably thought sherman was about to knife her down by the way she reacted. If it were a white guy I doubt her reaction would of been the same. Im just saying. There is a double standard and if you disagree thats fine, but imo blind.
Old 01-24-2014   #88
guichows6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator View Post
i dont recall ever being so irked at someone. everything this guy says, writes, does on the field just hits me the wrong way. oh i just remembered somebody as i am writing this. T.O, when he did crappola on the star. but even to and chad johnson didnt piss me off as much as this dude.
ive never wished an injury on any football player, but i hope this dude tears an acl in the sb.
You sir, need to take a chill pill. Its football. Why get upset at it? Sports are just entertainment. If people dont like how sherman acted guess what? Its ok. Your life is not in danger..oh your kids are are now being badly influenced? Your the parent, teach them the right way of life then according to you..

P.s. my reply isn't all directed toward you. Just talking in general
Old 01-24-2014   #89
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well ok then old fellers. ..I guess I'm just a lost child. Ill be that. It still doesn't change the fact that you are a hater.
How so? If you read my post I stated that I found Sherman to be an exciting player and I didn't have a problem with him or his antics. Sorry, that you were to busy wanting to use the "hater" label and somehow missed that. You see when that is your only argument to call someone a hater, well it does make you seem childish as I said before. Calling someone a hater is simply lazy and it also makes you seem like one as well because you are "hating" on anyone else's opinion that is different than yours.

Quote:
Why does sherman have to be like you and be respectful when a sorry wide receiver like Crabtree has been talking crap all game?
I agree with you. He doesn't have to. I think Crabtree is an ass myself, but that doesn't mean that Sherman has to be one himself? That also doesn't mean that he can't rub it in his nose in a competitive game either. I don't see anything different or overboard from what Sherman did than what I've seen in tons of other games. But I also realize that some people can't stand that kind of sportsmanship no matter who it comes from and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand why that might irritate some people.

Quote:
All the great ones have been caught being "unclassy" at some point in their careers. They didnt grow up learning about life with a silver spoon in their mouths. (Most of the great ones at least). And even if they did, when you are passionate about something, passion will come out of your mouth when your adrenaline is in full effect mode. Im not trying to make this a race thing, but if tom brady or Peyton manning had said that I doubt they would be labeled a "thug".
Well sorry, but you just did and you sound even younger than I thought. And to bring up Tom Brady here is about as inaccurate as you could be. Brady has caught a ton of flack over the years for some of the silliest stuff as well. Tom Brady was highly criticized when he had two women pregnant. People bash Tom Brady all of the time and he was listed as one of the most hated players in the league by fans that is all mainly because he wins games every year, so this is really bad example for you to try and use the race card.

Quote:
If the black man comes out yelling like sherman did, immediately he's a thug. Erin Andrews got scared and probably thought sherman was about to knife her down by the way she reacted. If it were a white guy I doubt her reaction would of been the same. Im just saying. There is a double standard and if you disagree thats fine, but imo blind.
Seriously just put the shovel away and stop digging. The straw man in your argument is about as sturdy as a scarecrow.
Old 01-24-2014   #90
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

That interview he did with Skip Bayless...

"In my 24 years of life. I'm better at life than you."

Bayless - "Are you better than Revis?"

Sherman - "I'm better than YOU."

Hilarious.
Old 01-24-2014   #91
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 313912 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
I've wondered the same thing, StarStruck. There seems to be a general misconception that players used to roast marshmallows and sing "Kumbaya" at halftime with each other.

I guess Broadway Joe Namath was "thug" before it was cool with all the trash talking he did before Super Bowl III. Heck, he even guaranteed a victory the week before the game.

Here's an article from a couple of years ago celebrating the best trash talkers in sports: Smack Talk: The 20 Best Trash Talkers in Sports History

Then there's USA Today's All-time NFL trash-talk team.

Some people seem to have very short memories.

Quote:

Hilarious.
That's when Sherman really showed up on my radar. Bayless is a peckerwood, and Sherman putting him in his place was classic and immediately made me like the guy.
Old 01-24-2014   #92
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Hilarious.
I forgot about that. That was so money.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #93
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I've wondered the same thing, StarStruck. There seems to be a general misconception that players used to roast marshmallows and sing "Kumbaya" at halftime with each other.

I guess Broadway Joe Namath was "thug" before it was cool with all the trash talking he did before Super Bowl III. Heck, he even guaranteed a victory the week before the game.

That's when Sherman really showed up on my radar. Bayless is a peckerwood, and Sherman putting him in his place was classic and immediately made me like the guy.
Well, not really. I don't you got where "talking trash" from. IIRC, he was at a banquet of some kind and was asked by a Colts fan who basically prefaced the question "do you think you can win" with saying the Jets didn't have a chance. Any athlete worth his salt would have said "yes" in response to the question. The part where he guaranteed it was almost certainly in response to how the question was presented. I'd have said it too if I were Namath under the circumstances.

I am like you in my thoughts about Bayless. He represents the worst of what reporters are and have been over the years. Nothing good comes to mind when I see him or his name, but "peckerwood"???
Old 01-27-2014   #94
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 313912 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Well, not really. I don't you got where "talking trash" from. IIRC, he was at a banquet of some kind and was asked by a Colts fan who basically prefaced the question "do you think you can win" with saying the Jets didn't have a chance. Any athlete worth his salt would have said "yes" in response to the question. The part where he guaranteed it was almost certainly in response to how the question was presented. I'd have said it too if I were Namath under the circumstances.

I am like you in my thoughts about Bayless. He represents the worst of what reporters are and have been over the years. Nothing good comes to mind when I see him or his name, but "peckerwood"???
By today's standards it is not considered trash talking in hindsight.

However, at the time, it was controversial and certainly considered unsportsmanlike by many of the old guard NFL.

This was when the AFL was still considered a sub-par league and many did not think they deserved to play on the same field as the NFL.

Joe Namath's mouth wrote a check that he cashed on the field.

According to USA Today, Namath is on the All-time NFL trash-talk team.

Here's some more information to understand perceptions and attitudes of the day:

Quote:
Broadway Joe delivers

Namath’s brash confidence was never more on display than in a public appearance in the days leading up to Super Bowl III, when he assured a heckler that the Jets (19-point underdogs) would beat the Colts (reputedly the best team in NFL history), even going so far as to say "I guarantee it." Namath’s trash-talking drew criticism from many in the NFL, who doubted his ability and insisted the AFL could not really compete with the older, more established NFL.
Not a banquet, but a bar and a heckler.

Quote:
The famous prediction was in fact Namath’s frustrated response to simple trash-talk in a bar in the lead up to the game. He was sick of the disrespect he and his team were getting, may well have had some booze in his system and probably thought the statement would be forgotten. If the Jets had been thrashed as they should have been few would even have remembered the guarantee.

Source
And "peckerwood" for Bayless because I like to whip out those old tags that used to get thrown around when I was a kid.

Even funnier (to me, at least) is typing "skip bayless peckerwood" into Google and finding this:

Quote:
RT @ErnestAnthony: I think it's impressive the way you guys always find a way to win. Skip Bayless is a peckerwood and needs to be slapped
Apparently I'm not the only one that put the two together!
Old 01-27-2014   #95
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
By today's standards it is not considered trash talking in hindsight.

However, at the time, it was controversial and certainly considered unsportsmanlike by many of the old guard NFL.

This was when the AFL was still considered a sub-par league and many did not think they deserved to play on the same field as the NFL.

Joe Namath's mouth wrote a check that he cashed on the field.

According to USA Today, Namath is on the All-time NFL trash-talk team.

Here's some more information to understand perceptions and attitudes of the day:

Not a banquet, but a bar and a heckler.

And "peckerwood" for Bayless because I like to whip out those old tags that used to get thrown around when I was a kid.

Even funnier (to me, at least) is typing "skip bayless peckerwood" into Google and finding this:

Apparently I'm not the only one that put the two together!
Agreed, brash by the day's standards. I was just pointing out it was an example of the press blowing it out of proportion, even for that time. (say it ain't so, right?..lol)

Namath actually said in an interview I saw years ago (no link, sorry) that it was the Miami Touchdown Club Banquet (or something like that) but he was probably drunk and didn't know where he was.

As far as "peckerwood" goes, that word has always cracked me up. I don't know why.
Old 01-31-2014   #96
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 70825 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Love me some Sherminator! I wish the Texans has 5 just like him on defense, they could use some REAL swag on this pathetic excuse of a team...

Unlike our current DB's that talk smack while getting their asses handed to them on their way to a 14 game losing streak...See DJ Swearinger...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....

Last edited by BullNation4Life; 01-31-2014 at 02:37 PM.
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #97
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Sherman says “the NFC Championship was the Super Bowl. The 49ers were the second-best team in the NFL.”
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #98
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:

hater
Old 02-04-2014   #99
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
For my part I don't think of it as an aspect of being "old school". There aren't any more guys out there today running their mouths and acting out than there were back in the day. Maybe more attention is paid to them by the fans because we get more coverage than ever before but there are still plenty of guys who go out and play quietly and professionally just like there have always been.

I just tend to prefer and have more respect for athletes that conduct themselves in a more dignified manner. Sherman is a guy who impresses me with his abilities but I turn the channel when someone jams a microphone in his face. I did that with TO, Chad Johnson, and pretty much every other "look at me" guy who has come down the road. I'm just not interested in what they have to say.
Old 02-04-2014   #100
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Deion Sanders and Michael Irvin (among others) were talkers two decades ago. This is nothing new under the sun.

At least with a guy like Sherman, he's extremely intelligent and has the ability to step back and admit when he feels like he's crossed a line.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read