Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-21-2014   #81
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51147 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Hoyer/Ryan Mallet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
It's an experiment regardless what we do. Either we'll get the emaciated Bridgewater, petite Manziel, Bortles after only two years, or a really good deal on McCarron.

None of us know what any of these guys are going to do. We need to look at all our options Ryan Mallet is an option.
I love the way you put it. Many will read it as THE option.
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #82
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
There was also some criticism (stupid by the way) that Mallet was a white guy who acts black, and he had a black girlfriend. Can't believe that stuff was even brought up in 2011.
If his pants hang off his ass..... I don't want him.
Old 01-22-2014   #83
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
There is not a franchise QB in every draft. This is the evaluation which is being made. Not whether we would draft one if he is there. We cannot assume there is a franchise QB just because we have the 1-1 pick.
Agreed..... & we can't buy into the hype. Since we have the #1 pick & most people understand we don't have a QB, they're going to be selling these QBs as if.

We can't afford to go into next season with Case Keenum being our best chance of getting a franchise QB & when I look at Teddy Bridgewater or Johnny Manziel, I see Case Keenum. Yeah... Bridgewater played in a "pro system" last year, but so did Case Keenum.

There are differences, they're not "exactly" the same player, that's not what I'm saying. But Bridgewater appears to be closer to Case Keenum to me, than Aaron Rodgers.
Old 01-22-2014   #84
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There is not a franchise QB in every draft. This is the evaluation which is being made. Not whether we would draft one if he is there. We cannot assume there is a franchise QB just because we have the 1-1 pick.
With the exception of last years draft, which I think it is still too early to definitively say, there has been at least one franchise QB in every draft for the past decade besides 2007 (weakest QB draft in recent memory). So I would say the chances of there being a franchise QB in this draft are much higher than not. The problem is, selecting the right one...but all of the Big 3 (Teddy, Manziel, and Bortles) show a lot of potential and this is definitely not as weak as a QB draft as some people say.

2012-Andrew Luck, Ryan Tannehill, Nick Foles, RG3 (maybe)
2011- Cam Netwon, Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick
2010-Sam Bradford
2009- Matt Stafford
2008- Matty Ryan, Joe Flacco
2007- None
2006- Jay Cutler
2005- Aaron Rodgers, Alex Smith
2004- Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Big Ben, Matt Schaub (just kidding)
matts290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #85
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51147 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
With the exception of last years draft, which I think it is still too early to definitively say, there has been at least one franchise QB in every draft for the past decade besides 2007 (weakest QB draft in recent memory). So I would say the chances of there being a franchise QB in this draft are much higher than not. The problem is, selecting the right one...but all of the Big 3 (Teddy, Manziel, and Bortles) show a lot of potential and this is definitely not as weak as a QB draft as some people say.
My list of Franchise QBs looks more like this:
2012-Andrew Luck(maybe)
2011- None
2010- None
2009- None
2008- None
2007- None
2006- None
2005- Aaron Rodgers
2004- Phillip Rivers, Big Ben
Old 01-22-2014   #86
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2012-Andrew Luck(maybe)
2011- None
2010- None
2009- None
2008- None
2007- None
2006- None
2005- Aaron Rodgers
Well you have a very different view of what a franchise QB is than most people...
matts290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #87
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2012-Andrew Luck(maybe)
2011- None
2010- None
2009- None
2008- None
2007- None
2006- None
2005- Aaron Rodgers
That would be considered the "elite list" of QB's. The franchise list would at least have Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Matthew Stafford & Eli Manning in it. I would probably say Colin Kaepernick, RG3, Nick Foles, Russell Wilson & Cam Newton have to do a little more to get there.
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #88
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
That would be considered the "elite list" of QB's. The franchise list would at least have Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Matthew Stafford & Eli Manning in it. I would probably say Colin Kaepernick, RG3, Nick Foles, Russell Wilson & Cam Newton have to do a little more to get there.
That's a reasonable perspective.
Old 01-23-2014   #89
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

When mallett was dropping, I felt he was worth the risk in 3rd rd. My feeling was that if you're going to have a mid line passer, at least have one who can threaten every blade of grass. As a qb prospect and ceo of the team, he has to be a guy with very few maturity issue. As much as I like mallett,he's as green as a new qb. Remember the schaub struggles even with knowledge of the offense? The yr after I wanted foles or wilson cuz I always knew schaub was good or talented enough to lead the texans anywhere. Right now, id prefer to just draft my qb.
Old 01-23-2014   #90
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Mallett probably costs us the #33 at minimum. Maybe our 3rd with next year's 2nd. NE has no reason to give him up for anything less than what they want.

Hoyer hasn't really proved much at the NFL level either. Let's not change history, the Browns played well when Hoyer was QB, but he was no superstar. He was efficient. But he will also be priced high because of how the team was performing when he got injured. I think he would cost us a 3rd round pick minimum.

If we want to trade for a QB we're most likely going to have to overpay. That's just the nature of the game.
This would be true if this were not his last year under contract. The Patriots face some urgency to move him this year or risk losing him for nothing at the end of the season. Also, acquiring him would be for only one season. Both reduce his trade value for both the Patriots and the acquiring team.
Old 01-23-2014   #91
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Mallett for a 3rd and 5th

Trade 1-1 to the Browns for 1-4, the two Browns 3rd rd picks and a 2015 1st seems fair
Houston 1-1 (3000)

Browns 1-4 (1800)
Browns 3-68 (250)
Browns 3-79 (195)
Browns 2015 1st round - equivalent to pick 2014 2-48 (420)
Browns Total (2665)

It falls short of the general rule of thumb for trade equivalency. Usually the 1-1 gets a premium, not a discount. I'd ask for their 2-36 (540) as well. Maybe settle with 1-4, 2-36, 2015 #1 and just one of the thirds.
Old 02-06-2014   #92
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Consider what the Patriots have spent, base-salary-wise, at the backup quarterback spot over the past six years:

2009: $310,000 (Brian Hoyer)
2010: $395,000 (Hoyer)
2011: $480,000 + $375,000 (Hoyer/Ryan Mallett)
2012: $508,992 (Mallett)
2013: $642,984 (Mallett)
2014: $776,976 (Mallett)

The team ultimately moved away from Hoyer in 2012 when he had a restricted free-agent tender of $1.9 million.

As for Mallett, he enters the final year of his contract in 2014, and if he continues his development, he could position himself for a deal that aligns with the current marketplace for top backup quarterbacks, if not more. With Tom Brady signed through 2017 and still playing at a high level, one could easily envision Mallett elsewhere in 2015.

That is why, in the ever-evolving team-building process, it wouldn't be surprising if the Patriots select a quarterback in the middle to late rounds of the 2014 draft.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...tt-qb-salaries
Continues his development is an interesting term because outside of insiders (like BOB), relative few are actually privy to what Mallet's progress is since he's got such limited real-game experience/tape as I understand it. Is now the time for BOB to "strike while the iron is hot" ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #93
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...tt-qb-salaries
Continues his development is an interesting term because outside of insiders (like BOB), relative few are actually privy to what Mallet's progress is since he's got such limited real-game experience/tape as I understand it. Is now the time for BOB to "strike while the iron is hot" ?
Is OB an insider? He's been away from the Patriots since Mallet's rookie season, he hasn't seen him in practice or anything. The only thing he would have to go on is Belichick, or another current coach's assessment. Godsey (TEs)??
Old 02-06-2014   #94
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is OB an insider? He's been away from the Patriots since Mallet's rookie season, he hasn't seen him in practice or anything. The only thing he would have to go on is Belichick, or another current coach's assessment. Godsey (TEs)??
I would think that Godsey would have a very good idea of how Mallet has been progressing. Obviously OB respects Godsey as an evaluator of QBs or he wouldn't have chosen him as QB coach. This whole thing could be a beautifully choreographed set of events.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014   #95
gohogs14
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 gohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respected

New video that was posted today of Mallett's preseason last year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WWmdW4xCOA
gohogs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #96
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohogs14 View Post
New video that was posted today of Mallett's preseason last year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WWmdW4xCOA
There's a reason those are called highlights. The first game against Philadelphia I was thinking: "Mallet's completing every pass and looks nice out there." Then I see his stat-line was 9-18 for 97 yards. He went 10-16, 117 yards & 12-20, 137 yards in the other two. I'm not critiquing his performance because you can't be subjective when none of the negatives are presented.
Old 02-10-2014   #97
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
There's a reason those are called highlights. The first game against Philadelphia I was thinking: "Mallet's completing every pass and looks nice out there." Then I see his stat-line was 9-18 for 97 yards. He went 10-16, 117 yards & 12-20, 137 yards in the other two. I'm not critiquing his performance because you can't be subjective when none of the negatives are presented.
It's also preseason. His coaches were most likely not looking for the same things we are.
Old 02-10-2014   #98
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It's also preseason. His coaches were most likely not looking for the same things we are.
Huh? They weren't looking for a capable QB? I wasn't knocking Mallett there. I can see the positives in that video. The TD vs. NYG was a thing of beauty. However, he also had 22 incompletions and an interception that wasn't part of the video. Like I said, none of the negatives were presented.
Old 02-10-2014   #99
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Huh? They weren't looking for a capable QB? I wasn't knocking Mallett there. I can see the positives in that video. The TD vs. NYG was a thing of beauty. However, he also had 22 incompletions and an interception that wasn't part of the video. Like I said, none of the negatives were presented.
Throwing the ball away may have been the best decision. They might have seen a good throw that his receiver dropped. So his stat line may not mean... well, I think it means next to nothing.

To me, the Preseason is about seeing how well players have taken to the system. 20% completion 8 INTs & no TDs would hold less importance to me, than why he turned in those numbers.

Is he comfortable, is in control of the huddle, the offense. Is he making the right reads, the right throws, the right non-throws. Was it a bad play, how did he handle it? Is he seeing what he needs to see & how is he handling what he sees.... even if the answers are not what I want, then it's, what is it going to take to fix it.

Did we try to fix that last week?

Is there anything we need to be doing less of, anything we need to be doing more of... bottom line, can I win with this guy?
Old 02-10-2014   #100
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88375 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am no QB evaluator, but when I watch that a couple of things stand out to me.

He has a strong arm, stronger than anyone on our current roster for sure.

It seems he doesn't have great footwork and throws from strange angles relying on that arm strength to get the ball where it needs to be.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read