Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What kind of coach will he be?
Instant turnaround, playoffs in 2014 34 47.22%
Slowly and patiently develop a contender 26 36.11%
A near average coach 8 11.11%
Gradually turn out to be another poor performer 3 4.17%
An instant disaster 1 1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2014   #21
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123766 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New coaching regime

I don't even understand these types of threads at this time.

How will the coach turn out? Wl are you going to judge him by his first season? What are you expecting? A playoffs right away? If so, that would be pretty unfair.

His 2nd season? His 3rd? What is your criteria to judge him by?

Folks need to realize that we have a new regime now and O'Brien is going to be here for a while. At least 4 years most likely. He might not have a great year his first season. He might have a great year though. I don't think it's fair to put high expectations on him right away when he doesn't have a QB yet. What if he drafts a QB, and that QB isn't that great of a player? There are so many variables that are going to either help or hurt this HC. Asking how you think he will do at this time is like asking how well you think a few horses will do at the race track that you don't know much about.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #22
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm with Tex. Y'all can have fun debating this stuff, but I cannot take any of it seriously at this point in time. The Texans don't even have all their coaches in place, much less an idea of who will be QB, who will still be on the team, and who will they pick up in FA and the draft. Way too many variables to make an intelligent analysis right now.

Ask again in August and it makes more sense when we have a lot more data and insight into the 2014 Texans.
Old 01-21-2014   #23
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 270486 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
How do you think our new head coach will turn out?
You needed to have a "Not enough information to make an educated guess" option.

Because that's where I am.
We don't know what scheme O'Brien brings (at least I don't).
We don't know for sure what flavor of 3-4 Crennel will run - or even, given the defensive personnel we have now, if he'll stay with a 3-4.
And who knows what O'Brien's draft philosophy is; is it draft for specific need or always take "best player available"? And what does he perceive as the biggest team need (besides QB)?

Waaay too many unanswered questions to hazard a guess at this point.

Check back in late August when we have a better idea of what O'Brien is cooking up...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #24
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, I completely agree that Schaub's demise was the result of him losing that tiny little shred of athletic ability that allowed him to keep his head above water for so many years. He couldn't do it anymore so he got desperate and began making stupid mistakes trying to force it. Ok, I also think that some of the smarter defenses in the league had worked out certain tendencies that the Texans had and exploited them (Matt probably making it easier to do in falling back on them so much).

Keenum I've been thinking about a lot lately. Those first three starts. 17-16 loss to the Chiefs, a 24-27 loss to the Colts, and a 24-27 loss to the Cardinals. 6 TD's and no picks.

I just keep wondering if that might have played out differently had the Texans won one or more of those games. So much depends on momentum in the NFL and it's like these three very close losses just snuffed out the very real spark Keenum brought to the team. After a few weeks to let the stink of the season fade a bit and after stepping back to look at the entirety of the thing (which I believe is an absolute must. It's 16 games that are all part of a narrative. Looking at just Keenum's starts, or just Schaub's starts doesn't give you an accurate picture. Wins and losses need to be placed in the correct context I think). I've concluded that Case Keenum isn't done. He may be done here as a result of the change that this season brought about but I don't think we've seen the last of him in the NFL and I don't think we've seen the best of him either.

I don't think that the only thing he can do is improvise. Think about that for a moment. that's just silly. He can execute a game plan. He can run an offense and yes, he can read a defense. The situation speaks for itself and I'm going to say right now that you could not have placed any NFL QB in that situation and gotten results. Too many issues. Line issues, RB injury issues, defensive issues. The season was lost before Keenum ever got on the field and he wasn't going to be able to change that.

When a team loses 14 straight games that's the kind of event that has taken on a life of its own. You don't right that mess with a second year QB very often. Usually never.

The Clowney thing I agree with you on though. He's the only defender who appeared to rate the 1-1 pick and his issues make him a real risk at 1-1. I think that Clowney being a question mark will contribute as much to our going QB at 1-1 as the relative quality of any available QB prospect. If Clowney had come through this year he'd be the pick and we'd roll with a second rounder or possibly even Keenum again. Instead I think we take Bridgewater and hope it works out.
Good post Herv! Lots of good points. I really think the demise of this team began back in 2012 with the losses of Winston, Brisiel, Dreesen, J. Jones, and Ryans, and then continued the following year with the losses of Barwin, Casey, GQ, and others. Add to those losses the key injuries to Cushing, Manning, and OD, a weak draft class with wasted picks in Montgomery, Chris Jones the DT with NE now, and a bunch on IR. It's like a "perfect storm!" You could also add the wasted FA pickup of Ed Reed, the Gary Kubiak stroke at halftime during the Colts game, Schaub's record setting "pick sixes." It's no wonder this team went from 12-4 to 2-14 in one year! The "Football Gods" (if you believe in those things) really had their way with the Texans this past year!

As for ey, I hope you're right and they don't take him, but draft a QB. At this point in time I'm going with Bridgewater. Given some time and good instruction I think he will be a good franchise QB.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #25
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm with the people who aren't voting.

I don't feel like any of the options really fit how I feel.

I'm in a wait-and-see mode. I like the move and I like some of the moves he's making but I have my reservations. The objective side of me expects a 6-10 season next year but that doesn't mean I consider the coaching change a complete fail if we don't have an instant turn around.

I'm not totally convinced OB was the right choice but I like his attitude. I'm not loving the fact that he's going to be calling the offensive plays. I don't know that RAC was the right move at DC because I'm not sure he's going to mesh well with the players I like and want to stay on the team. I'm also not sure he'll be able to push this defense over the top.

So at this time, I'm cautiously optimistic but not expecting an immediate turn-around.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #26
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 259047 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

If an immediate turnaround means a climb back to mediocrity, I believe it. That's what I voted. A rookie QB isn't going to get this team to the playoffs. What O'Brien does long term here is anyone's guess. But hey, even Kubiak went 6-10 with that garbage coming off the last 2-14 season.
Old 01-21-2014   #27
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

My enthusiastic vote in post #19 of this thread should not be interpreted as any kind of real expectation. That's just how I feel about this time every year.
Old 01-21-2014   #28
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14619 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bad Oline
Bad Defense
No QB
Salary Cap hell

We won't win 6 games this year.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #29
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30005 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post

How will the coach turn out? Wl are you going to judge him by his first season? What are you expecting? A playoffs right away? If so, that would be pretty unfair.

Folks need to realize that we have a new regime now and O'Brien is going to be here for a while. At least 4 years most likely. He might not have a great year his first season. He might have a great year though. I don't think it's fair to put high expectations on him right away when he doesn't have a QB yet. What if he drafts a QB, and that QB isn't that great of a player? There are so many variables that are going to either help or hurt this HC. Asking how you think he will do at this time is like asking how well you think a few horses will do at the race track that you don't know much about.

Tex, you beat me to it. This thread is so premature it had me scratching my head trying to figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #30
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 13222 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Dude, this is a message board about anything Texans. Strictly conjecture at this point. Not sure if you've noticed but other than the Crennel hiring and Arians legal issues, there isn't a lot to talk about. Is this a ridiculous, premature thread with no direct evidence of anything? Yeah...you bet, but who cares. I don't think anyone is judging him off of anything to this point, it's more of a "what do you think will happen in 2014" thread.

Just to keep the chatter boxes chatting...it is a message board after all.
Old 01-21-2014   #31
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Dude, this is a message board about anything Texans. Strictly conjecture at this point. Not sure if you've noticed but other than the Crennel hiring and Arians legal issues, there isn't a lot to talk about. Is this a ridiculous, premature thread with no direct evidence of anything? Yeah...you bet, but who cares. I don't think anyone is judging him off of anything to this point, it's more of a "what do you think will happen in 2014" thread.

Just to keep the chatter boxes chatting...it is a message board after all.
I actually agree with both of these posts.
Old 01-21-2014   #32
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77804 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Funny. Calls for tempered expectations and patience just a couple weeks ago were met with vitriol and ridiculous claims from those who are calling for that today.
TheMatrix31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #33
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Funny. Calls for tempered expectations and patience just a couple weeks ago were met with vitriol and ridiculous claims from those who are calling for that today.
Yeah, don't you just HATE that?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #34
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 68219 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

One person voted “An instant disaster”. Honest questions, Texian: 1. Are you a fan of the Texans? 2. If so, how do you make it through the day with such a negative attitude?

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #35
acal21
Rookie

Rep Power: 1939 acal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Yeah , the same guy who turned Schaub into a multi time pro bowler ..... Kubiak didn't all the sudden forget how to coach , Schaub had health issues.
Keenum was an UDFA , there is a reason he went undrafted .... He just didn't have the ability to be a successful NFL QB. The only thing he can do is improvise.

Clowney ?! 3 sacks last season. Unmotivated , questionable character and injury issues .... Yeah , that screams draft me 1:1.

He did forget how to coach, our offense became so predictable it was dumb.. i don't even think schaub was allowed to check out of a run into a pass

and clowney made a business decision that ended up working out, he's still a gonna be a top 5 pick.. and that rookie contract isn't gonna be enough, he's gonna have to earn the big payday
Old 01-22-2014   #36
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 80286 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
The lack of patience with the former regime does contrast sharply with the patience of these same people with a new regime.

Perhaps enough heads have rolled that their blood thirst has been temporarily satisfied.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #37
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
The lack of patience with the former regime does contrast sharply with the patience of these same people with a new regime.

Perhaps enough heads have rolled that their blood thirst has been temporarily satisfied.

The gist I'm getting is many here, especially "these same people", are waiting on one more noodle to scadoodle. Is the seat warm for Rick Smith? Will his be the last "head to roll"?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #38
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 136288 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
Bad Oline
Bad Defense
No QB
Salary Cap hell

We won't win 6 games this year.
Why do people keep saying this? A few strategic cuts and we have nearly 30 million cleared from what I have read
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #39
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Why do people keep saying this? A few strategic cuts and we have nearly 30 million cleared from what I have read
I'm starting to think that people just really don't know what "salary cap hell" is OR they just want more stuff to blame Rick Smith for.

I'm not saying that Rick Smith shouldn't be blamed for things but "salary cap hell" isn't one of them as far as I'm concerned.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #40
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135003 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post

Lack of patience?

8 years is more than enough patience for mediocre predictable football.

And I guarantee if O'Brien doesn't show something right off the bat people are going to be asking for his head also.

Some have already written him off in January.........

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read