Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-14-2014   #441
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Mike Vrabel might be, under the tutelage of Romeo Crennel, the long term answer for the DC position in Houston, according to NFL Insiders (ESPN)...
  • "Vrabel was the smartest player I've ever been around in my time in the NFL," Field Yates.

• "I could say without question that he, [Vrabel], was the smartest defensive football player I ever played with," Tedy Bruschi.

• He was known for his athleticism and leadership. He played with an edge, yet was perhaps defined by his intelligence. Holley wrote how coaches were continually surprised at the amazing recall Vrabel had of formations and tendencies of opponents.

“During his Patriots career, there was no player more respected for his football intellect and revered for his leadership by his teammates than Mike,” Belichick said in a statement Monday. “He was elected a team captain by his peers and is a player who I think everyone knew was destined to become a coach after his NFL playing career was over.

“Mike Vrabel is as well-suited for coaching as any player I have ever coached. He has a tremendous feel for people, players, coaches and what his team needs regardless of the situation. He is outstanding in his knowledge of the game, which contributed to his excellence as a player. I have no doubt Mike will develop tough, intelligent, fundamentally sound winners.”

• “He is a champion in every sense of the word and I’m confident all of these qualities will make him a great coach,” Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli said Monday. “I cannot overstate my respect for him as a person and a football player. If there were a Hall of Champions, Mike Vrabel would be a first ballot selection. ”
I was a huge fan of Vrabel for years. Loved the guy. I am ecstatic to have him as part of the Texans organization.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #442
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
So why wasn't he hired by one of those organizations then?
Maybe because his alma mater hired him less than six months after he retired from the NFL, and his time there is the only coaching experience he has.

Just because those organizations think he has a big future doesn't mean they would hire him before he has proven anything.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #443
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Somewhat curious move for someone rumored for OC with Texans.

La Canfora: Steelers & Mike Munchak to Meet About OL Coach
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #444
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 43353 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

I never heard a rumor about him being OC, only that he interviewed and was thought to be in the running for OL coach
Old 01-18-2014   #445
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Not rumored for OC. Munch will either be an OL coach or a HC. He's waiting on Cleveland, interviewing with everyone. I expect McNair will outbid anyone for OL position if he doesn't get HC gig.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #446
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I never heard a rumor about him being OC, only that he interviewed and was thought to be in the running for OL coach
Quote:
Not rumored for OC. Munch will either be an OL coach or a HC. He's waiting on Cleveland, interviewing with everyone. I expect McNair will outbid anyone for OL position if he doesn't get HC gig.
My mistake. Wonder if Munchak would not be a decent OC.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #447
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My mistake. Wonder if Munchak would not be a decent OC.
No, he's never called plays. But I don't think that should exclude him from being a successful Head Coach. Which brings up a question...

My opinion is McNair will outbid other teams for Much and crew as OL line coaches. I also think Munchak will get another HC gig after the 2014 season. So does anyone have any concerns with Munch camping out in HouTex for a year "scouting" OB's offense and then moving on with that information???

Too paranoid? Am I becoming Pioli?
Old 01-21-2014   #448
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Mike Vrabel might be, under the tutelage of Romeo Crennel, the long term answer for the DC position in Houston, according to NFL Insiders (ESPN)...
  • "Vrabel was the smartest player I've ever been around in my time in the NFL," Field Yates.
  • "I could say without question that he, [Vrabel], was the smartest defensive football player I ever played with," Tedy Bruschi.
  • He was known for his athleticism and leadership. He played with an edge, yet was perhaps defined by his intelligence. Holley wrote how coaches were continually surprised at the amazing recall Vrabel had of formations and tendencies of opponents.

“During his Patriots career, there was no player more respected for his football intellect and revered for his leadership by his teammates than Mike,” Belichick said in a statement Monday. “He was elected a team captain by his peers and is a player who I think everyone knew was destined to become a coach after his NFL playing career was over.

“Mike Vrabel is as well-suited for coaching as any player I have ever coached. He has a tremendous feel for people, players, coaches and what his team needs regardless of the situation. He is outstanding in his knowledge of the game, which contributed to his excellence as a player. I have no doubt Mike will develop tough, intelligent, fundamentally sound winners.”
  • “He is a champion in every sense of the word and I’m confident all of these qualities will make him a great coach,” Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli said Monday. “I cannot overstate my respect for him as a person and a football player. If there were a Hall of Champions, Mike Vrabel would be a first ballot selection. ”
Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler
Quote:
Mike Vrabel walking the sidelines in Mobile [at the Senior Bowl] in his new #Texans jacket
Old 01-21-2014   #449
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117928 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

As long it was a jacket and not a letterman, we're cool.
Old 01-21-2014   #450
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
As long it was a jacket and not a letterman, we're cool.

Lmao!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #451
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
Texans have Mike Vrabel to coach LBs and Bill Kollar back for D line. O'Brien said he will announce staff when its complete.

Pepper Johnson coached D line and LBs with Pats. Was on staff with Bill O'Brien and Crennel. Coached Mike Vrabel.

There's speculation in New England that 14 year def assistant Pepper Johnson resigned so he could be reunited with Romeo Crennel.
Old 01-22-2014   #452
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 124668 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
#PatriotsSouth
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #453
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Patriots Notebook: Longtime assistant Pepper Johnson to leave
Quote:
[However, it’s widely believed Johnson was unhappy about being passed over for the vacant defensive coordinator position after Dean Pees left following the 2009 season. Johnson and Matt Patricia were the most trusted defensive assistants in 2010, when the players viewed Belichick as the defensive coordinator, but Patricia earned more time in the spotlight as the play-caller in 2011 and was officially promoted to his current role in 2012.

It seems plausible that Johnson didn’t see any opportunities to climb the coaching ladder with the Patriots, and the chance to step out of Belichick’s shadow might have offered a new path. Johnson first served as the Patriots’ assistant linebackers coach (2000) before advancing to inside linebackers coach (2001-03), defensive line coach (2004-11) and linebackers coach (2012-13).

Johnson also played for Belichick when he was the Giants defensive coordinator, Browns head coach and Jets assistant head coach.

“Today marks a new day for me,” Johnson said in a statement released to the Herald. “Today is a new day full of promise and hope. It is also a day to reflect, as I embark upon a new journey. Today is the first day in (14) years that I am not a part of the New England Patriots, although I will always be a Patriot in my heart. Today also marks the first day in 26 years that I am not working in some capacity with one of greatest head coaches of all time, as well as my friend, Bill Belichick.”

Johnson, who also thanked the Patriots, Robert Kraft and the fan base, is expected to remain in football and could seek employment with the Texans. Their new head coach, former Pats assistant Bill O’Brien, has hired Romeo Crennel as defensive coordinator and Mike Vrabel as the linebackers coach.
The thing is, I'd think the plan -- at this point, anyway -- would be to groom Vrabel for DC.
Old 01-22-2014   #454
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The thing is, I'd think the plan -- at this point, anyway -- would be to groom Vrabel for DC.
That's the way I see it as well. Maybe we'll see some LBs in passing routes in the EZ.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #455
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Munchak took the OL Coach job with the Steelers
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #456
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 30s

#Patriots are losing TE coach George Godsey, as he’ll join his good friend #Texans coach Bill O’Brien’s staff, barring something unforeseen
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #457
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
#Patriots are losing TE coach George Godsey, as he’ll join his good friend #Texans coach Bill O’Brien’s staff, barring something unforeseen
Good. Important hire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
My belief is Munch will be a HC after next season, so while I'd love to have him & Bruce I'd rather not if they're only here for a year. Would've been cool, though.
Old 01-22-2014   #458
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
Well damn.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #459
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 30s

A little more info:
Quote:

George Godsey is expected to coach QBs with Texans.
Old 01-22-2014   #460
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
A little more info:
Quote:

George Godsey is expected to coach QBs with Texans.
And that should be your OC in waiting, imo.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read