Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-28-2013   #161
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 32693 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jake Matthews now #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I'm thinking Matthews is second half of first round level talent.
The problem is the GMs don't agree. I'd love to trade down to 5 or 6 and pick up a 12-15 and draft Matthews. But that's not going to happen.

Best case scenario absent a trade partner? Draft Clowney who has the riot act explained to him by Watt and Cushing getting the most out of him on every play. Then have Bortles drop to 2-1. Brennan Williams and David Quessenberry fully recover to stack the line and Manning and a third round pick at safety shore up the secondary.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #162
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
And you are?
No I'm not. Never pretended to be. My comments were I am not familiar with any RB who was as successful after back surgery as he was before back surgery. I don't believe a medical degree is required to make such a statement. I still stand by both of these statements.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #163
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
No I'm not. Never pretended to be. My comments were I am not familiar with any RB who was as successful after back surgery as he was before back surgery. I don't believe a medical degree is required to make such a statement. I still stand by both of these statements.
Can you list some who have undergone surgery other than Slaton and Foster?
Old 12-28-2013   #164
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Can you list some who have undergone surgery other than Slaton and Foster?
Slaton underwent some kind of neck surgery huh? He had nerve issues... Foster doesn't, not that I know of. I also don't see any reason back issues would be a problem for Arian. It's not like he's Tmac or something.
Old 12-28-2013   #165
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Slaton underwent some kind of neck surgery huh? He had nerve issues... Foster doesn't, not that I know of. I also don't see any reason back issues would be a problem for Arian. It's not like he's Tmac or something.
I have more worries about the tread on Foster's tires than his back surgery. I think he can come back just fine from the surgery, but he only has 2-3 years left of top production. He will start declining soon, surgery or not. You can already see his body starting to wear out with all the injuries.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #166
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I have more worries about the tread on Foster's tires than his back surgery. I think he can come back just fine from the surgery, but he only has 2-3 years left of top production. He will start declining soon, surgery or not. You can already see his body starting to wear out with all the injuries.
Why would anyone want to remove 2-3 years of top production by Foster from this team? Not directed at you, just asking?
Old 01-21-2014   #167
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 249738 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jake Matthews now #11

Jake Matthews, now not in this guy's top 10: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/n...ut-DaneBrugler

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
Quote:
Most project Matthews to tackle, but some project him to center RT @traceydhoover: @LanceZierlein so they don't project him to be a tackle?

I could see Jake Matthews as an outstanding center in the league. Jake’s dad Bruce played tackle guard and finally center during his career

Respected personnel man in Mobile told me teams are starting to consider A&M’s Jake Matthews as a center. That could impact his draft stock
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #168
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

I won't be shocked if he's not a top 10 pick when all is said and done.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #169
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO Matthews had a better season last year. He definitely doesn't project as a LT to me. He's more of a RT or RG if anything. The Center thing I just can't see, but talent evaluators know much more than me I'm sure.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #170
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Told ya
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #171
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Both Matthews and Lewan had better junior years than senior years. Both could have been drafted very high as LT's, but they came back and now Matthews is being looked at as a RT, OG, or C by some and Lewan is being talked about as a RT.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #172
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
I won't be shocked if he's not a top 10 pick when all is said and done.
I said two months ago, 12 to 15 at best.
Old 01-21-2014   #173
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 81572 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Which makes the people that were saying we should use our first overall on him look even more foolish, and there were several.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #174
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Which makes the people that were saying we should use our first overall on him look even more foolish, and there were several.
Yep that's who I was telling it too.
Old 01-21-2014   #175
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
But he went to A&M and his daddy was a Hall of Famer...
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #176
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 63318 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
But he went to A&M and his daddy was a Hall of Famer...
Could still go 12-15 and be a hall of famer.....
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #177
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Could still go 12-15 and be a hall of famer.....
No doubt about it.

But where he went to school and who his daddy is are two main reasons why he is so highly rated around here, both of which have nothing to do with his own ability.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #178
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
IMHO I don't think Matthews will be the first OT taken in the draft. There are a couple of more athletic OTs that could be in this draft. Matthews last few games were disappointing.
and now there is talk of him playing center....not surprised.
Old 01-21-2014   #179
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Did he get measured recently? Are his arms really short? Why are people discussing him as a center instead of a guard or tackle? That's a big downgrade.
Old 01-21-2014   #180
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Did he get measured recently? Are his arms really short? Why are people discussing him as a center instead of a guard or tackle? That's a big downgrade.
see Senior Bowl thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read