Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-21-2014   #21
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 Texans Talk Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Correct. The real NFL Combine is Feb 22-25.
Oh OK, I see now. Well I would suggest waiting until a week after free agency starts. Free Agency begins Tuesday March 11, 2014. The Monday after that is March 17th, which could work, or that Tuesday if you want to give it a full week.

I believe last year we started a week after free agency, and I think that helped a lot of folks. You don't want to have your draft ruined because your team picks up a big time free agent at a position of need.
Old 01-21-2014   #22
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Oh OK, I see now. Well I would suggest waiting until a week after free agency starts. Free Agency begins Tuesday March 11, 2014. The Monday after that is March 17th, which could work, or that Tuesday if you want to give it a full week.

I believe last year we started a week after free agency, and I think that helped a lot of folks. You don't want to have your draft ruined because your team picks up a big time free agent at a position of need.
Good point. I could be down with that. It makes alot of sense.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #23
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think this is a good idea and 2nd it.

I also think you should just let everyone sign up and then there will likely be many people that have to do 2 teams, just have people sign up for the 2 teams as needed.

Also, do yall do a "lock your mock" thing here? Where everyone posts their mock they believe/hope the Texans will do and we all see who is the most accurate? It would be cool to do one of those with a scoring system, deadline for submission, and possible gambling?
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #24
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
I think this is a good idea and 2nd it.

I also think you should just let everyone sign up and then there will likely be many people that have to do 2 teams, just have people sign up for the 2 teams as needed.
It has varied in the past. I know people have other favorite teams that they want, but the Texans pick is usually the most controversial. In the past we have done it where the Texans pick is a vote among 5-10 players, but the last couple we have just assigned someone the team randomly.

I'm thinking this year we could do something different, and I'll be happy to manage it if the other Mock Admins are in favor of it. I'll create a new Google spreadsheet for the 2014 mock, and everyone will be able to sign up. However, instead of just signing your name next to a team or throwing it in a random bucket, you pick 3 teams that you want to draft for all 7 rounds. Rank them as 1,2,3 in the order the columns set up, and I'll do my best to ensure that everyone gets at least 1 of their top 3 teams.

For the Texans, since I'm sure many folks will want them, I'll take everyone who lists them and randomly select one. If there are any other teams with an inordinate amount of people picking them, then we may do the same, but the Texans will be the first selected.

If there are folks that don't get a top 3 team for some reason, I'll fill in as many of the teams as possible, and then allow anyone who doesn't have a team yet to choose among the remaining teams.

Quote:
Also, do yall do a "lock your mock" thing here? Where everyone posts their mock they believe/hope the Texans will do and we all see who is the most accurate? It would be cool to do one of those with a scoring system, deadline for submission, and possible gambling?
I think we have always had threads like that pop up each year around draft time, but nothing really formal. For the purposes of this mock draft, we don't do that particular thing, but you're welcome to start a thread and manage that if you like
Old 01-21-2014   #25
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It has varied in the past. I know people have other favorite teams that they want, but the Texans pick is usually the most controversial. In the past we have done it where the Texans pick is a vote among 5-10 players, but the last couple we have just assigned someone the team randomly.
Didn't bah007 run the Texans draft last year and he picked Keenan Allen 1st round and everyone hated it? Oops...

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #26
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

I don't believe this is entirely correct, but here is a listing each team with their number of draft picks that I was able to pull together:

Code:
Team	Number of picks	Picks (Round.Pick)
ARI	6	1.20, 2.20, 3.20, 4.20, 5.20, 6.20
ATL	7	1.6, 2.6, 3.6, 4.6, 5.6, 6.6, 7.6
BAL	4	1.16, 2.16, 3.16, 6.16
BUF	7	1.9, 2.9, 3.9, 4.9, 5.9, 6.9, 7.9
CAR	7	1.28, 2.28, 3.28, 4.28, 5.28, 6.28, 7.12 (CAR)
CHI	6	1.14, 2.14, 3.14, 4.14, 5.14, 6.7 (TB), 6.14
CIN	7	1.24, 2.24, 3.24, 4.24, 5.24, 6.24, 7.24
CLE	10	1.4, 1.26 (IND), 2.4, 3.4, 3.15 (PIT), 4.4, 4.26 (IND), 5.4, 6.4, 7.4
DAL	8	1.17, 2.17, 3.17, 4.17, 5.17,  7.14(CHI), 7.17,  7.23(KC)
DEN	7	1.31, 2.31, 3.31, 4.31, 5.31, 6.31, 7.31
DET	6	1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10, 6.10, 7.10
GB	7	1.21, 2.21, 3.21, 4.21, 5.21, 6.21, 7.21
HOU	7	1.1, 2.1, 3.1, 4.1, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1
IND	5	2.26, 3.26, 5.26, 6.26,  7.16(BAL)
JAX	10	1.3, 2.3, 3.3, 4.3, 4.16 (BAL), 5.3,  5.10 (DET), 5.16(BAL), 6.3, 7.3
KC	6	1.23, 3.23, 4.23, 5.23, 6.17 (DAL), 6.23
MIA	7	1.19, 2.19, 3.19, 4.19, 5.19, 6.19, 7.19
MIN	8	1.8, 2.8, 3.8, 3.32 (SEA), 4.8, 5.8, 6.8, 7.8
NE	7	1.30, 2.30, 3.30, 4.30, 6.22 (PHI), 6.30, 7.30
NO	6	1.27, 2.27, 3.27, 4.27, 5.27, 6.27
NYG	6	1.12, 2.12, 3.12, 4.12, 5.12, 6.12 
NYJ	7	1.18, 2.18, 3.18, 4.18, 5.18, 6.18, 7.18
OAK	7	1.5, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, 5.5, 7.5, 7.20 (ARI)
PHI	7	1.22, 2.22, 3.22, 4.22, 5.22, 5.30 (NE), 7.22
PIT	6	1.15, 2.15, 4.15, 5.15, 6.15, 7.15
SD	7	1.25, 2.25, 3.25, 4.25, 5.25, 6.25, 7.25
SEA	7	1.32, 2.32, 4.32, 5.32, 6.5(OAK), 6.32, 7.32
SF	12	1.29, 2.23 (KC), 2.29, 3.11 (TEN), 3.29, 4.29, 5.29, 6.29, 7.26(IND), 7.27(NO) , 7.28(CAR), 7.29
STL	8	1.13, 1.2 (WAS), 2.13, 3.13, 4.13, 5.13, 6.13, 7.13
TB	6	1.7, 2.7, 3.7, 4.7, 5.7, 7.7
TEN	6	1.11, 2.11,  4.11, 5.11, 6.11, 7.11
WAS	6	2.2, 3.2, 4.2, 5.2, 6.2, 7.2
Old 01-21-2014   #27
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh and naturally I'm down for this again. I also agree that the ideal starting time would be post-combine and about a week into Free Agency.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 01-21-2014   #28
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Blake, Steelb, 76Texan (if you want to help this year), if you guys want to pursue the sign-up idea I had, I created the 2014 spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...aEc5SGc#gid=15

I think it might work. If not, we can always do a random generator. If we start signups now, we can let people get an early start on studying.
Old 01-21-2014   #29
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Blake, Steelb, 76Texan (if you want to help this year), if you guys want to pursue the sign-up idea I had, I created the 2014 spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...aEc5SGc#gid=15

I think it might work. If not, we can always do a random generator. If we start signups now, we can let people get an early start on studying.
Sense that's been said I'll just jump out and say it then. I'd like to have SF again. I had them last year and they're one of my favorite teams after the Texans.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 01-21-2014   #30
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Sense that's been said I'll just jump out and say it then. I'd like to have SF again. I had them last year and they're one of my favorite teams after the Texans.
Hehe, and they have 12 picks... BEFORE compensatory picks are added!
Old 01-21-2014   #31
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we're really doing this I'd like Seattle. They always end up drafting the guys I like the most anyway.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #32
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Hehe, and they have 12 picks... BEFORE compensatory picks are added!
Haha I will admit it doesn't hurt. Since they've hired Harbaugh though I can't help but root for them. Really wish he had given the Michigan job a shot, but he's an NFL guy.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 01-21-2014   #33
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 74835 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I sat out last year but would want back in this year.

Start things after the combine and after Free Agency has been going for a bit.

I would rather one team each than two if there are the numbers interested.

Also would rather teams without first rounders still get personal GMs if possible.

If we are picking teams, I would like Gang Green.
Old 01-21-2014   #34
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 74835 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

When are comp picks announced?

Does that factor in to timing?
Old 01-21-2014   #35
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
When are comp picks announced?

Does that factor in to timing?
At the combine, I believe. I know we added them to the mock draft last year, so I would expect us to do the same. It's likely the Texans will get 3 or 4.
Old 01-21-2014   #36
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think your thing is read only. I was trying to fill it out and make my 1, 2, and 3 team selections but couldn't edit it.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #37
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
I think your thing is read only. I was trying to fill it out and make my 1, 2, and 3 team selections but couldn't edit it.
Sorry about that, give it another shot.
Old 01-21-2014   #38
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

I'm thinking that we could add a tie-breaker component to picking the teams as well, like a combination of Join Date on the TT board and post count. That would be a gauge of seniority on the board and active participation over the years. It would only be used for teams with multiple people picking the same team #1, but it would make the selection a bit more fair. I'd rather just give people teams that they like, but I think with 32 people involved, that makes it a bit difficult. We shall see how the list shakes out and I'll discuss it with the other draft admins.
Old 01-21-2014   #39
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm down again, as always.

If I got to choose, I would naturally want the Texans, then the Eagles and/or Dolphins.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #40
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 41193 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I see no point in doing anything before the combine. And I agree about knowing prospects further down the board. It never fails that the further we get into it people just stop showing up and it turns into group selections.
I will not participate in the Draft. It's much more fun to poke holes in the hard work of others.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read