Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-21-2014   #1
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Exclamation 2014 Texans Talk Mock Draft SELECTION

This is NOT a sign up for the mock draft. Just a thread to start discussing when we want to do it, and to give everyone a heads up well in advance so when the time comes to sign up they aren't left out because they didnt see the signup.

The NFL Combine is February 22-25 and the NFL Draft is May 8th. I suggest waiting until after the combine to do our draft. I think it goes without saying, but if you choose to participate you should know more than just round 1 prospects, and be available everyday to update your "big board" or make a selection. If we want to take the slow, let everyone have a day to pick approach, then we would need to start in February before the combine.

What are everyone's thoughts/concerns?

Last edited by Blake; 01-21-2014 at 09:43 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 Texans Talk Mock Draft

I see no point in doing anything before the combine. And I agree about knowing prospects further down the board. It never fails that the further we get into it people just stop showing up and it turns into group selections.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #3
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

How do yall decide who gets what teams?
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #4
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
How do yall decide who gets what teams?
Generally its first come first served. But you need to be a regular around here. Someone we can count on being available/reliable to do the work (research) and make picks. I do not think we have 32 posters who fit the mold so most everyone who is a draft fan gets a team.
Old 01-21-2014   #5
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm down.
Old 01-21-2014   #6
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

We need to wait until after the combine is completed. You will know which pick the Cowboys have, you will know compensatory picks, and you will have accurate measurements for all the players. There's still a lot of debate about the QB's size, weight, hand size, etc... That could shake up a lot of people's picks.

The NFL Combine will be April 12-13.
The NFL Draft will be May 8-10.

That gives us nearly a month to get through this before we run into the actual draft. I think that is plenty of time.
Old 01-21-2014   #7
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
This is NOT a sign up for the mock draft. Just a thread to start discussing when we want to do it, and to give everyone a heads up well in advance so when the time comes to sign up they aren't left out because they didnt see the signup.

The NFL Combine is February 22-25 and the NFL Draft is May 8th. (Is anyone else loving the fact that the draft is so early?) I suggest waiting until after the combine to do our draft which gives us 10 days to complete our "speed" mock. I think it goes without saying, but if you choose to participate you should know more than just round 1 prospects, and be available everyday to update your "big board" or make a selection. If we want to take the slow, let everyone have a day to pick approach, then we would need to start in February before the combine.

What are everyone's thoughts/concerns?
My suggestion would by for 16 responsible people to take 2 teams each. This eliminates the stragglers that sign up and draft for 1 round then quit. Last yrs mock draft went really smoothly. (Thanks Blake/Dutch/76 for helping make this happen.) So members that participated last yr get 1st shot at signing up this yr.

I dont think it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and sign up our teams. For example, I have been keeping up with the Bears and Cardinals vaguely.

I find that after the 1st week or two of FA is over is the best time to start the draft. I moderated last yrs draft with a lot of help from others. If somebody else wants to moderate this yrs draft that would be fine with me. I'm more than willing to help out any way that I can.

I want to thank all of the members that help make the TT mock draft the best one that I've participated in. The mock draft helps me learn about other teams need and how various members value players. Thanks for helping me sharpen my draft knowledge, so I have an idea where players should be slotted in the real NFL draft.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-21-2014   #8
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that after the combine would nice. I also agree that it might be easier to have 16 people with two teams, but I don't want to exclude anyone either.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
We need to wait until after the combine is completed. You will know which pick the Cowboys have, you will know compensatory picks, and you will have accurate measurements for all the players. There's still a lot of debate about the QB's size, weight, hand size, etc... That could shake up a lot of people's picks.

The NFL Combine will be April 12-13.
The NFL Draft will be May 8-10.

That gives us nearly a month to get through this before we run into the actual draft. I think that is plenty of time.
Is FA after the draft?

I like your time frame. It usually takes 2-3 weeks to finish a mock draft.
Old 01-21-2014   #10
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Is FA after the draft?

I like your time frame. It usually takes 2-3 weeks to finish a mock draft.
Free Agency starts March 11, 2014. We will have a month of free agent movement before the combine is complete, which is plenty of time for things to shake out.

NFL Key Dates calendar: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...fl-key-dates-p

I think Monday April 14th is the ideal start date.

Oh, and I'll be happy to do the Google Draft Spreadsheet again. Last year's was fun

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ive_web#gid=11
Old 01-21-2014   #11
Blake
MMQB

So its decided. We will start after the combine. March 3rd?

Lets start "sign ups" on Monday, the 27th. You throw your name in the hat. A team with a first round pick will be assigned to you.

WAS and IND do not have a first round pick. We can make those teams group picks unless someone REALLY REALLY wants to be their GM.
Old 01-21-2014   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Lets start "sign ups" on Monday, the 27th. You throw your name in the hat. A team with a first round pick will be assigned to you.

WAS and IND do not have a first round pick. We can make those teams group picks unless someone REALLY REALLY wants to be their GM.
I'd prefer to have a first round pick, but I feel confident in the lower rounds of this draft so I'd volunteer to take either team, or both, if nobody else was interested.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #13
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:

March 3rd? Where do you get that date from?
Old 01-21-2014   #14
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Wouldnt that be the Monday after the combine concludes? Do you have a better date in mind?
Old 01-21-2014   #15
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I saw you posted that the combine was in April, but it's not, it's Feb 22-25.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #16
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
I saw you posted that the combine was in April, but it's not, it's Feb 22-25.
Ohhhhhhh, there are like a dozen combines this year... What the hell?

Quote:
2014 Regional Combines schedule
Date
Feb. 8-9**
Houston
Methodist Training Center
Feb. 15-16**
New York/New Jersey
Atlantic Health Jets Training Facility
Feb. 22
Los Angeles
Orange Coast College-Lebard Stadium
March 1
Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Training Facility
March 8-9
Atlanta
Atlanta Falcons Training Facility
March 15
Chicago
Halas Hall at Conway Park
March 22
Miami
Doctors Hospital Training Facility
March 22-23**
Seattle
Virginia Mason Athletic Center
March 29
Indianapolis
Indiana Farm Bureau Football Center
March 29-30
Baltimore
Under Armour Performance Center
April 12-13*
Detroit
Ford Field
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...mbine-schedule
Old 01-21-2014   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Are you willing to take on the lead moderator role? What do you think about the 2 team 16 person format.

If your OK with that Give me the Bears and Cards if I miss signup day.
Old 01-21-2014   #18
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 31037 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...mbine-schedule
The "real" combine is in Indy in late Feb. There are zillions of regional combines - mostly for players who aren't invited to Indy. "I was 3rd string on my D3 team, but I gots mad skillz."
Old 01-21-2014   #19
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Are you willing to take on the lead moderator role? What do you think about the 2 team 16 person format.

If your OK with that Give me the Bears and Cards if I miss signup day.
I will help moderate the mock. Last year was a nice team effort. I think some people might be left out if we do 16. But will leave that decision up to the consensus.
Old 01-21-2014   #20
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
The "real" combine is in Indy in late Feb. There are zillions of regional combines - mostly for players who aren't invited to Indy. "I was 3rd string on my D3 team, but I gots mad skillz."
Correct. The real NFL Combine is Feb 22-25.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read