Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What kind of coach will he be?
Instant turnaround, playoffs in 2014 34 47.22%
Slowly and patiently develop a contender 26 36.11%
A near average coach 8 11.11%
Gradually turn out to be another poor performer 3 4.17%
An instant disaster 1 1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2014   #1
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 4915 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected
Default New coaching regime

How do you think our new head coach will turn out?
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New coaching regime

I find this question hard to answer right now with so many questions to answer as far as the roster goes.

Who the QB is will make a bigger difference in the fortunes of this team than anything else ..... Who's the QB ?!?

McNair seems to think its an instant fix with a couple players , I just don't see a QB coming in and being the salvation of this franchise in year one.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #3
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34103 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Playoffs ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #4
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know enough about obrien to guess.

One thing I will say is that I don't think the talent here is terrible. I think our previous coaches did a terrible job of using players to their strengths/limiting their weaknesses. It's like they tried to fit round pegs in square holes all over the place. No adjustments.

If OB does like I hope/have a hunch he'll do I think we'll be really good really fast.

Some of our bad players can actually be used if they are used correctly...IMO.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #5
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53531 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think he'll be amazing off the bat, probably be the same as everyone else for a while. But he doesn't have to be amazing. He just has to get the team to win those stupid games we lost last year. How many one-possession games did we lose, like 7? Shore that **** up and we'll be fine.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #6
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 248016 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Playoffs ...
Me?

Uhhhh, errrr, I think they're doing a bang up job so far.

I need to change my username...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #7
acal21
Rookie

Rep Power: 1938 acal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I find this question hard to answer right now with so many questions to answer as far as the roster goes.

Who the QB is will make a bigger difference in the fortunes of this team than anything else ..... Who's the QB ?!?

McNair seems to think its an instant fix with a couple players , I just don't see a QB coming in and being the salvation of this franchise in year one.

The QB is gonna be Schaub or Keenum, I honestly blame Kubiak for how bad they were

I just can't get over the thought of Clowney and JJ playing side by side

You never know maybe we get ourselves a QB in the 2nd round and he ends up being the guy sooner than anticipated
Old 01-20-2014   #8
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Me?

Uhhhh, errrr, I think they're doing a bang up job so far.

I need to change my username...
Haven't lost a game yet!!!!
Old 01-20-2014   #9
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Playoffs.
Old 01-20-2014   #10
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 3761 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default New coaching regime

I like what I've seen from OB thus far, but it's still to early to know how he will turn out. I for one can't wait to see how the players respond to him during training camp and the preseason.

Sent from the future...
BigBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #11
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

He'll be better than this off season is going to be
Old 01-20-2014   #12
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36122 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

****, it's January: optimism is all I've got. O'Brien will right the ship, the Texans will win the most games in franchise history (13), Luck will fall flat on his face next year and miss the playoffs. And the main thing, the Texans will win the Super Bowl...

Honestly, free agency hasn't happened, the draft hasn't happened and I don't even know who the hell is going to be the QB of this team next year. What else am I going to say?
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Call of duty whatever you want I'm all in, just long as they get rid of Rick Smith.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #14
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Call of duty whatever you want I'm all in, just long as they get rid of Rick Smith.
????
Old 01-21-2014   #15
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 29405 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

None fit. I expect immediate success followed by slow decline. Coaches head to be called for in three years and fired in 8 when there are no resources left to pay for the savior QB.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #16
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by acal21 View Post
The QB is gonna be Schaub or Keenum, I honestly blame Kubiak for how bad they were

I just can't get over the thought of Clowney and JJ playing side by side

You never know maybe we get ourselves a QB in the 2nd round and he ends up being the guy sooner than anticipated
Yeah , the same guy who turned Schaub into a multi time pro bowler ..... Kubiak didn't all the sudden forget how to coach , Schaub had health issues.
Keenum was an UDFA , there is a reason he went undrafted .... He just didn't have the ability to be a successful NFL QB. The only thing he can do is improvise.

Clowney ?! 3 sacks last season. Unmotivated , questionable character and injury issues .... Yeah , that screams draft me 1:1.

Old 01-21-2014   #17
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Where's the answer "I haven't the slightest frigging idea and neither do you" on your list?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #18
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Where's the answer "I haven't the slightest frigging idea and neither do you" on your list?
Its in the "So .... who's your QB" thread.

Old 01-21-2014   #19
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I answered the question in the only manner a hopeless optimist could.

"Instant Turnaround, Playoffs in 2014"

Only because there was no "Superbowl Mother****er!" option available.
Old 01-21-2014   #20
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Yeah , the same guy who turned Schaub into a multi time pro bowler ..... Kubiak didn't all the sudden forget how to coach , Schaub had health issues.
Keenum was an UDFA , there is a reason he went undrafted .... He just didn't have the ability to be a successful NFL QB. The only thing he can do is improvise.

Clowney ?! 3 sacks last season. Unmotivated , questionable character and injury issues .... Yeah , that screams draft me 1:1.
Yeah, I completely agree that Schaub's demise was the result of him losing that tiny little shred of athletic ability that allowed him to keep his head above water for so many years. He couldn't do it anymore so he got desperate and began making stupid mistakes trying to force it. Ok, I also think that some of the smarter defenses in the league had worked out certain tendencies that the Texans had and exploited them (Matt probably making it easier to do in falling back on them so much).

Keenum I've been thinking about a lot lately. Those first three starts. 17-16 loss to the Chiefs, a 24-27 loss to the Colts, and a 24-27 loss to the Cardinals. 6 TD's and no picks.

I just keep wondering if that might have played out differently had the Texans won one or more of those games. So much depends on momentum in the NFL and it's like these three very close losses just snuffed out the very real spark Keenum brought to the team. After a few weeks to let the stink of the season fade a bit and after stepping back to look at the entirety of the thing (which I believe is an absolute must. It's 16 games that are all part of a narrative. Looking at just Keenum's starts, or just Schaub's starts doesn't give you an accurate picture. Wins and losses need to be placed in the correct context I think). I've concluded that Case Keenum isn't done. He may be done here as a result of the change that this season brought about but I don't think we've seen the last of him in the NFL and I don't think we've seen the best of him either.

I don't think that the only thing he can do is improvise. Think about that for a moment. that's just silly. He can execute a game plan. He can run an offense and yes, he can read a defense. The situation speaks for itself and I'm going to say right now that you could not have placed any NFL QB in that situation and gotten results. Too many issues. Line issues, RB injury issues, defensive issues. The season was lost before Keenum ever got on the field and he wasn't going to be able to change that.

When a team loses 14 straight games that's the kind of event that has taken on a life of its own. You don't right that mess with a second year QB very often. Usually never.

The Clowney thing I agree with you on though. He's the only defender who appeared to rate the 1-1 pick and his issues make him a real risk at 1-1. I think that Clowney being a question mark will contribute as much to our going QB at 1-1 as the relative quality of any available QB prospect. If Clowney had come through this year he'd be the pick and we'd roll with a second rounder or possibly even Keenum again. Instead I think we take Bridgewater and hope it works out.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read