Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-19-2014   #541
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 77572 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
What a stupid contract.

Thanks Rick
In Rick's defense, Schaub had leverage in the negotiation. It was signed at the 11th hour before game 1. Not many options at the time.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #542
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

OMG the browns are so dumb I hope they give us a kings ransom LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #543
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45767 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
There are plenty of threads where this is relevant, but I'll start with this one.

The Browns reportedly are willing to trade up to get Manziel.

Link
It's a rumor in January involving a team that doesn't even have their Head Coach yet. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm taking this with a grain of salt.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #544
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I wouldn't say trashed. We "thought" we were Super Bowl contenders. Gotta pay to play.

I still think Schaub's contract was just shy of genius. He evaluated Matt correctly, recognized the risks, & provided several outs for himself. Flacco, Ryan, Romo, Cutler.... at the time, I wouldn't have taken any of those for Schaub & those teams married themselves to those QBs. Flacco, maybe. But I wouldn't have given him the money he got for sure. Somewhere between what Schaub got & what Flacco got.

We can cut Schaub (& several others) for a net gain in 2014. We can use the June 1st option & it's a big gain.
If Rick/Gary had evaluated Schaub correctly as C-N-D did the Texans probably wouldn't be sitting at 2-14 today.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #545
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
It's a rumor in January involving a team that doesn't even have their Head Coach yet. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm taking this with a grain of salt.
True
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #546
BruceWayne
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 BruceWayne is a quality contributor and well respectedBruceWayne is a quality contributor and well respectedBruceWayne is a quality contributor and well respectedBruceWayne is a quality contributor and well respectedBruceWayne is a quality contributor and well respectedBruceWayne is a quality contributor and well respectedBruceWayne is a quality contributor and well respectedBruceWayne is a quality contributor and well respectedBruceWayne is a quality contributor and well respectedBruceWayne is a quality contributor and well respectedBruceWayne is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
He sounds like a soprano character.
lol, never heard of this guy
BruceWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #547
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

If we draft Bortles I may go into full Texian mode....... Does anyone realize how miserable it would be wanting to cuss your own self out everyday?
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #548
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 71588 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What paycheck71 said is true. No extension is required. Cutting Matt Schaub is not required.

Matt Schaub has a $17M cap number in 2015. Cutting him & taking the hit in 2014 will free up $17M, making him a June 1st cut frees up $10M in 2015.

That $7M will most likely have no effect on signing Jj Watt long term. We'll be $25M under the cap making Schaub a June 1st cut. There are still other things we can do to free up more money.

In Paycheck's scenario, Schaub takes a paycut for 2014, & we cut Schaub as a June 1st cut going into the 2015 season, We'll free up $14M for 2015, opposed to $17M.
I'll tell you this, if Schaub is a June 1st cut, JJ is gone after 2015.

Which is why you aren't a GM. 2015 will also have our draft choices and replacements for FAs, at least many of them. The $25M shrinks drastically with required roster additions in 2014. This is why you have to be more skilled than a message board poster to be GM. We still need space in 2015 if we hope to keep JJ around.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #549
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 71588 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
As anything said from January to May 10 at which time everybody will be happy with who they got in the draft, at least that's what they will say for media consumption.
Old 01-20-2014   #550
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I just don't see shifting $7M of the Cap hit to 2015 when we need it most.
The cap goes up & several other contracts expire.

If we cut Schaub & take the cap hit in 2014, 2015's cap hit increases $17M.

If we cut Schaub & make him a June 1st Cut, 2015's cap hit increases to $10M.... we're still saving money.

Taking the full hit in 2014 gives us an additional $4M in 2014 & $17M in 2015.
Making him a June 1st cut will give us an additional $10M in both 2014 & 2015.
Old 01-20-2014   #551
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
The cap goes up & several other contracts expire.

If we cut Schaub & take the cap hit in 2014, 2015's cap hit increases $17M.

If we cut Schaub & make him a June 1st Cut, 2015's cap hit increases to $10M.... we're still saving money.

Taking the full hit in 2014 gives us an additional $4M in 2014 & $17M in 2015.
Making him a June 1st cut will give us an additional $10M in both 2014 & 2015.
Required additions in 2014 and 2015 will reduce the 2015 cap space significantly. Let's just see how it plays out. I fully expect Schaub to be a regular cut. If we want him, we make a new contract as a veteran backup.
Old 01-20-2014   #552
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I'll tell you this, if Schaub is a June 1st cut, JJ is gone after 2015.

Which is why you aren't a GM. 2015 will also have our draft choices and replacements for FAs, at least many of them. The $25M shrinks drastically with required roster additions in 2014. This is why you have to be more skilled than a message board poster to be GM. We still need space in 2015 if we hope to keep JJ around.
No doubt, I'm just a message board hack, but I guarantee you Jj Watt will not have anywhere near a $10M cap hit for 2015.
Old 01-20-2014   #553
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
No doubt, I'm just a message board hack, but I guarantee you Jj Watt will not have anywhere near a $10M cap hit for 2015.
We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 01-20-2014   #554
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

It's just a form of Marsall Law.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #555
brg88tx
Veteran

Rep Power: 6504 brg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respectedbrg88tx is a quality contributor and well respected

ryan mallet is still my favorite. go look at his twitter account, I think something might be brewing, just hope it's with the Texans. a lot of people keep asking him if he's going to be traded and one of his last tweets is "patience, it's coming".
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #556
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
ryan mallet is still my favorite. go look at his twitter account, I think something might be brewing, just hope it's with the Texans. a lot of people keep asking him if he's going to be traded and one of his last tweets is "patience, it's coming".
I don't know how anyone follows a conversation on twitter..... so many people chiming in, throwing their 2 cents whereever... I don't know if he's talking about being a Viking, or starting for the Patriots.
Old 02-24-2014   #557
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Jets supposedly interested in Josh McGowen.
Old 02-24-2014   #558
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

I'm not a twit so I don't fit

in.
Old 02-24-2014   #559
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 49584 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Since we're bringing up Josh McGowen and his ilk, how about aiming just a little higher? (if someone has mentioned this so far I apologize. Too many pages.)

Matt McGloin.

With the Raiders sitting at #5 and almost certainly picking a QB somewhere in the 1st two rounds, we take Clowney at #1, which drops other available QBs down to the Jags, Browns, Raiders, etc...

McGloin not only showed tremendous promise, making all the NFL throws behind a very dodgy offense, playing very well for an undrafted player; moreover, lest we forget McGloin is Bill O'Brian's boy out of Penn State - would you give a 5th rounder for him, and take our chances in the 2nd round with Garoppolo, McCarron, Murray, etc?

I mean, what do you have to lose IF you prescribe to my methodology, anyway, to take two QBs in this draft?

I won't belabor the McGloin thought process, because frankly I'm a Bridgewater guy; still, a lot of people are talking QBs outside of the draft who are either over the hill or have almost no experience (see Mallet, Ryan -Less of a connection with O'Brian than McGloin).
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #560
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Since we're bringing up Josh McGowen...
We're talking about McCown right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
still, a lot of people are talking QBs outside of the draft who are either over the hill or have almost no experience (see Mallet, Ryan -Less of a connection with O'Brian than McGloin).
I don't have a problem with your McGloin idea. But I don't understand the "almost no experience" thing with Mallet. "If" O'Brien were our coach 3 years ago, we drafted Mallet in the third (because at the time Matt didn't need immediate replacement) he'd be "ready" to start now & everything would have been going according to plan.

As it is, we didn't draft him. But OB did. It's almost, kinda, sorta the same thing. "We" were coming unglued waiting for Case to get his first start & he had less on-field time than Mallet, & less time understudying the starting QB.

Mallet's got size, arm, pedigree... everything you want, save NFL experience. I hate the if we do get him, it would mean we'll most likely give up our second & sign him to a starting contract... but not playing the last three years doesn't bother me one bit.... dang sure no more than it bothered the Packer fans who gave the boot to a living legend.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read