Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2014   #1761
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 245923 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I think this thread has got off topic...
Old 01-20-2014   #1762
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
When Houston Chronicle reporter John McClain asked Bill O'Brien about Johnny Manziel he said this: "The only full games I've watched him on TV were last season's Alabama and Duke (Chick-Fil-A Bowl) games. Obviously, he's a very exciting player. He's a guy who makes plays with his feet and his arm. When you watch him on TV as a fan, he looks like an instinctive player."

http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texa...medium=twitter
Old 01-20-2014   #1763
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I see Manziel being called an instinctive player, how he has great vision and sees the whole field.

These are great things, but do you think he has the discipline to go through his reads and work through his progressions?

Is he impulsive, impatient, undisciplined and if so can you and would you want to coach it out of him?
Old 01-20-2014   #1764
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
In a discussion and debate, when your adversary or opponent resorts to rabbits and pancakes, at that point you pretty much know that you have won the argument hands down.

Which makes me wonder if Cak is Bi Polar and has not been taking his meds today.
weren't you referring to bullying before mate?

also when you don't reply or "resort" to rabbits and pancakes maybe its about not caring enough to respond because some people can't hold down a civil debate ... so whats the point
Old 01-20-2014   #1765
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105991 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This gif always brings a little pain with it, because if our defense wasn't so damned ****ty we could have won this game from this point on.
But I think I'll never forget what happened in the stands during this play. Kyle Field erupted and it felt like the world was about to end the way people were screaming and jumping up and down in the stands.
Old 01-20-2014   #1766
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I see Manziel being called an instinctive player, how he has great vision and sees the whole field.

These are great things, but do you think he has the discipline to go through his reads and work through his progressions?

Is he impulsive, impatient, undisciplined and if so can you and would you want to coach it out of him?
he has certainly improved in this regard over the last year. My question on manziel isn't necessarily what is his ceiling going to be in the NFL but more specifically what is his ceiling at becoming a pocket passer.

His probably not going to become a brady or manning type pocket passer but could he develop that part of his game enough to the extent of lets say a romo or ryan. That way his other positive skills will elevate him further.
Old 01-20-2014   #1767
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 29405 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
he has certainly improved in this regard over the last year. My question on manziel isn't necessarily what is his ceiling going to be in the NFL but more specifically what is his ceiling at becoming a pocket passer.

His probably not going to become a brady or manning type pocket passer but could he develop that part of his game enough to the extent of lets say a romo or ryan. That way his other positive skills will elevate him further.
I think the question is how do you improve the player without eliminating the special skills? Does making him a conventional pocket passer also eliminate his ability to create positive plays among the chaos? It's a legitimate concern. To some extent, I think that happened with Case last year.
Old 01-20-2014   #1768
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I think the question is how do you improve the player without eliminating the special skills? Does making him a conventional pocket passer also eliminate his ability to create positive plays among the chaos? It's a legitimate concern. To some extent, I think that happened with Case last year.
thats a good point. off the top of my head you, you would have to allow for the players "natural" skills to shine. Build the scheme around him and look to develop those other skills. Much like washington did in RG3s first year and what the panthers are doing with Newton.

The offence will be vastly different whether we get manziel or TB/BB.
My belief is you must construct your team with the players you have not force them into different holes.
Old 01-20-2014   #1769
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You big meanie.
Old 01-21-2014   #1770
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think this thread has got off topic, let's close the thread.
Seeing as to how nothing will happen from now until the combine, we will probably go off topic a few times on these threads.
Old 01-21-2014   #1771
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 29405 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
Seeing as to how nothing will happen from now until the combine, we will probably go off topic a few times on these threads.
I don't now about the rest of you, but I WAS ON TOPIC!
Old 01-21-2014   #1772
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
This gif always brings a little pain with it, because if our defense wasn't so damned ****ty we could have won this game from this point on.
But I think I'll never forget what happened in the stands during this play. Kyle Field erupted and it felt like the world was about to end the way people were screaming and jumping up and down in the stands.
My throat hurt so much after that game, also that was probably the loudest I ever heard Kyle field, that second that Evans shed the tackle it went from quite to deafening. We only ran out of time dammit...
Old 01-21-2014   #1773
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
I guess what I am asking is this whole dual threat QB era just a fad and a mirage? Or are these guys really paving the way for players like Manziel to come in and have long successful careers in the NFL?
I think it's still up in the air a bit. Many folks are worried after watching RG3 get injured repeatedly and thinking it's just a question of when (not if) the same thing will happen to CK and RW.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Yep, that's the concern. The question with JM is how much you lose by keeping him behind LoS. Lots of his 'special' plays came with his feet, without rushing for a single yard. He made great strides this year which shows he's at least 'coachable'.
Old 01-21-2014   #1774
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I think it's still up in the air a bit. Many folks are worried after watching RG3 get injured repeatedly and thinking it's just a question of when (not if) the same thing will happen to CK and RW.
For guys like CK, It is a question of when...but as i'm sure you know, there's a difference between a passing qb who can run & a running qb who can pass a little bit. Despite his "strides" passing the ball this past year, JFF still falls in the latter for me. & even though he didn't take off & run as much this past year, you could tell he was itching to...The Duke play is proof of that. Very few times throughout this season did he look comfortable just sitting in the pocket...he always had to be moving...As i watched him, it kinda tells me he watches the rush too much...can't do that in the NFL..gotta be focused on your progressions downfield...
Old 01-21-2014   #1775
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Never mind
Old 01-22-2014   #1776
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 245923 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
Quote:
Manziel in Baltimore last night w UA reps. My guess if deal gets done it will be top-5 marketing contract ever signed.
Old 01-22-2014   #1777
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do you think that JFF, rah rah college brand enthusiasm and leadership translates to the pros, or does his leadership have deeper aspects?
Old 01-22-2014   #1778
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
Before he's done anything on the field on a Sunday?
Old 01-22-2014   #1779
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant Hothy View Post
Before he's done anything on the field on a Sunday?
Nothing new there. It's becoming more the rule than the exception.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-23-2014   #1780
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

If u watch just the lsu, that's a recipe for disaster for manziel. Much like Case, he can't see or find passing lanes when teams come up the middle. His instincts tell him to retreat backwards or move outside vs navigation inside the pocket. Not only that, he gets claustophobic when teams "sugar" rush him. When the rush stays discipline and keeps him in the pocket, he can't see. Not only that,he's played in a 1st read system. You never see his head move after the 1st read until he's outside the pocket.

I like jff a lot as a college player, I wouldn't touch the guy in the 1st or 2nd rd. The interview process for him will be critical in terms of his commitment to football. His chalkboard will be a 0 because of the joke offense and his improv he performed a lot. People will have him from 1st rd to undraftable.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read