Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-20-2014   #621
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 48949 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL playoffs 2013-14

My memory of old school is different from what I'm reading and for me somehow yesteryear is better than yesterday. First, you had and still have different personalities, but today there is more political correctness.

When I saw Sherman's interview last night the first thing came to mind was him sounding like a professional wrestler. I wasn't amused, yet I wasn't really offended either. Being a lifelong (theirs) Cowboys fan, OMG, I remember cringing every time a commentator put a mike in Mike Irvin's face. He was like the wayward family member and I prayed accordingly for years.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #622
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
My 2 cents.

a) I like trash talking. Think it can be funny. But I also think there are two sides to it. You can be a Deion, a Steve Smith or some of these other guys and come across as funny/crazy. Or you can be a Richard Sherman type that comes across as just a lunatic with some serious issues.

b) My issue isn't with some of the talk as much as the action. Sherman chased Crabtree down after the play. Punk move.

c) I was laughing on Twitter last night because defenders of Sherman said he was this 4.0 student and went to Stanford. Wow, I didn't know that people at Stanford were immune from being classless bleeps. There are a-holes at Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc, etc. Good schools known for academics don't change your personal skill sets.
Yup, the bolded is really the only thing I took issue with. Crabtree may very well be an asshat, but running down a dude right after the game to rub it in isn't considered sportsmanlike imo.

That said, sportsmanship is becoming harder and harder to find these days.

BTW, I couldn't care less about what Sherman said in Erin's (hottie) interview.
Old 01-20-2014   #623
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Yup, the bolded is really the only thing I took issue with. Crabtree may very well be an asshat, but running down a dude right after the game to rub it in isn't considered sportsmanlike imo.

That said, sportsmanship is becoming harder and harder to find these days.

BTW, I couldn't care less about what Sherman said in Erin's (hottie) interview.
Thank you for posting it right.
Old 01-20-2014   #624
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 48949 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Thank you for posting it right.
lol
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #625
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Espn had an article that mentioned this beef goes back to the offseason where Crabtree said something to Sherman . To be continued next year
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #626
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I find it odd that in all of this "role model" talk a big deal is being made about Sherman's loud mouth yet nobody is talking about Crabtree shoving him in the face.

So it's not okay to talk trash to an opponent but if somebody talks trash to you it is okay to put your hands on them? Got it.

I can see how Sherman's act gets tired to some. I just think it's funny that nobody cares what Crabtree does, only how Sherman reacts.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #627
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I find it odd that in all of this "role model" talk a big deal is being made about Sherman's loud mouth yet nobody is talking about Crabtree shoving him in the face.

So it's not okay to talk trash to an opponent but if somebody talks trash to you it is okay to put your hands on them? Got it.
crabtree throughout the game is probably the bigger (whiner, douche, showboat, putz, loudmouth, etc) and most assuredly had it coming. for that moment though he should get the nobel peace prize for only pushing sherman away. if i had just lost such a meaningful game and the loudmouth chased me down to give me hell about it, they'd be trying to determine whether the NFL or the police should decide my punishment.
Old 01-20-2014   #628
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 84406 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

I can see how Sherman's act gets tired to some. I just think it's funny that nobody cares what Crabtree does, only how Sherman reacts.
Two wrongs do not make a right, but three rights make a left in Michigan.
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #629
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Still think this was the most impactful play of the weekend...

Quote:
“It is a deliberate play by the receiver to take out Aqib,” Belichick told reporters Monday morning. “No attempt to get open. And I’ll let the league handle the discipline on that play. It’s not for me to decide, but it’s one of the worst plays I’ve seen..."
http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...hit-aqib-talib
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #630
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
crabtree throughout the game is probably the bigger (whiner, douche, showboat, putz, loudmouth, etc) and most assuredly had it coming. for that moment though he should get the nobel peace prize for only pushing sherman away. if i had just lost such a meaningful game and the loudmouth chased me down to give me hell about it, they'd be trying to determine whether the NFL or the police should decide my punishment.
Kinda my point with all these "role model" posts. It's not okay to be a loudmouth, but it's okay to use violence if someone is mean to you?

Plus, if he hadn't been running his mouth so much that moment (Sherman taunting him) wouldn't have hurt so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Two wrongs do not make a right, but three rights make a left in Michigan.
Not saying either is right. Just think the double standard is odd.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #631
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Old school or new school depends on the program you were in.

My football "career" was only high school and middle school, but I was taught in a "gamesmanship" style. Borderline cheating and playing dirty. That could include smack talk or cheapshots.

To me that is old school, since a lot of football is coming as close to cheating as you possibly can without getting caught.
I agree completely.

The is so much of this weird hindsight thing about the past, like it was all gold and buttercups and everyone hugging and being nice to each other.

Except, you know, it's all revisionist history B.S.

Like I've said in the NSZ, the past is full of just as much controversy, inequality, cheating, and dirty play as anything happening today, both in society at large and within sports.

I watch a LOT of NFL Films stuff over the decades, and anyone that believes there was more sportsmanship and "honor" in past decades than today is either a liar, delusional, and/or simply ignorant of history.

Deacon Jones purposefully giving linemen concussions with a hidden piece of metal in his forearm cast? Dude BRAGGED about breaking rules and hitting opponents on their heads. And this is a HoF player who the NFL regularly celebrates.

We can go on and on with examples, but that's beside the point. Pro players were just as ruthless to win in the past as anyone today (perhaps even more with less refs and scrutiny about player safety in the past).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
And doing the choker sign at him. Classless.

"I know you are but what am I?"
The choker sign was actually at Kaepernick, not that it makes it better.

They should never put a microphone in a very emotional player's face just moments after a huge play in a monumental game.

I'm not a big fan of Sherman, but I respect his talent and his mouth writes checks that his play on the field cashes.

His beef with Crabtree goes way back, and considering these guys play each other twice a year, it's a solid rivalry.

Sherman explained himself in this article from a couple of hours ago, fwiw:

‘To Those Who Would Call Me a Thug or Worse …'
Old 01-20-2014   #632
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Bill is reaching big time. I'm sure you don't plan to send someone out with a knee issue hitting them like Wes did
Old 01-20-2014   #633
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Sherman explained himself in this article from a couple of hours ago, fwiw:

‘To Those Who Would Call Me a Thug or Worse …'
From that:

Quote:
I ran over to Crabtree to shake his hand but he ignored me. I patted him, stuck out my hand and said, “Good game, good game.” That’s when he shoved my face, and that’s when I went off.

When you try to show sportsmanship and someone does that to you, then they deserve to get punked IMO.
Old 01-20-2014   #634
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 84406 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He ought to know. Reaping the rewards of his style of play.
Old 01-20-2014   #635
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Bill is reaching big time. I'm sure you don't plan to send someone out with a knee issue hitting them like Wes did
Looks pretty damn intentional to me and should have drawn a flag. The intent to hit Talib is what Belichick means I think, not specifically the knee.

Quote:
Rule 8, Section 5, Article 2 (Forward Pass, Backward Pass, Fumble)

Prohibited Acts by both teams while the ball is in the air. Acts that are pass interference include, but are not limited to:

(e) cutting off the path of an opponent by making contact with him, without playing the ball.
Old 01-20-2014   #636
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Seahawks fans were throwing food at Navarro Bowman when he was carted off on a stetcher???

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #637
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12794 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Sherman a little too crazy -- it's funny to hear that "interview" and remember that he has a Communications degree from Stanford -- but I know enough about Crabtree to believe he was probably provoking a lot of it.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #638
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12794 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Looks pretty damn intentional to me and should have drawn a flag. The intent to hit Talib is what Belichick means I think, not specifically the knee.
It wasn't clear from The Hoodie's comments, but yeah, if he was only referring to the (illegal) pick as intentional and not the intent to injure, then I would agree with him.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #639
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Seahawks fans were throwing food at Navarro Bowman when he was carted off on a stetcher???

Skittles? I thought that was a sign of respect...
Old 01-20-2014   #640
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

It said “It is a deliberate play by the receiver to take out Aqib,” I took that as take him out of the game, which I don't believe was anyone's intention. I Bill was just talking about that single play I'd agree

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read