Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-19-2014   #121
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 43270 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Gardner fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoudreamn View Post
nothing but speculation on his part
Old 01-19-2014   #122
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63941 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
O'Brien comes from the Bill Belichick family tree at the pro level, which is a model set up for the head coach to have extreme authority and many believe that O'Brien will eventually bring in a personnel man closely aligned with him.
Logical speculation based on fact. This will get interesting.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #123
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 36225 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

So Kubiak brings in his GM. O'B (possibly) brings in his GM.... seems backwards.

But hey, if it works the 2nd time around
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #124
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 43270 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
So Kubiak brings in his GM. O'B (possibly) brings in his GM.... seems backwards.

But hey, if it works the 2nd time around
Casserly was gonna be fired anyway. The way things transpired, I'm not so sure that it was Kubiak that bought Smith in as it was McNair in love with the Denver product.

It's only logical to think that the HC and GM should have a good working relationship. Any good corporation has to work as a team at the highest levels for teamwork to be natural at the lower levels.
Old 01-19-2014   #125
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Bobby Grier should have been sent packing too. I have never been a fan. Of course, I want Rick Smith fired as well. That goes without saying.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #126
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
nothing but speculation on his part
Texans fans can only hope this rumor is true.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #127
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
Bobby Grier should have been sent packing too. I have never been a fan. Of course, I want Rick Smith fired as well. That goes without saying.
Bobby Grier still has a job?

LMAO
Old 01-20-2014   #128
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
My money says Belichick had control BEFORE he won any of his Super Bowls.

Is Belichick not a disciple of Parcells? Yes.

And think back, what was Parcells' mantra:
"If you want me to cook the meal you got to let me shop for the groceries."

I feel Belichick would not be any different.
/discussion
Belichick is a different beast. First, he did not have full control in his firts HC gig.... Cleveland.

Second, he was not new to the Patriots. He was being groomed by Parcells. He was with the Patriots before he went to Cleveland, & he went back to the Patriots after he failed.

So when Belichick tells Kraft, "I want final say on the 53." Kraft wasn't, "who do you think you are??!!" he was like.... "I know this guy, worked with him for years... he worked with Parcells for years, I believe he can handle it."
Old 01-20-2014   #129
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Belichick is a different beast. First, he did not have full control in his firts HC gig.... Cleveland.

Second, he was not new to the Patriots. He was being groomed by Parcells. He was with the Patriots before he went to Cleveland, & he went back to the Patriots after he failed.

So when Belichick tells Kraft, "I want final say on the 53." Kraft wasn't, "who do you think you are??!!" he was like.... "I know this guy, worked with him for years... he worked with Parcells for years, I believe he can handle it."
This is technically true (well, actually since you used "years" instead of "year" it's not), but may be a bit overstated. Belichick was on the Patriots staff for one year - Parcells last, and the first year they went to the Super Bowl. After that it was off to the Jets with Parcells.

I've always considered the Belichick hiring by the Pats as being driven as much by the desire to screw the Jets as it was to bring in the best HC available. However, since they clearly did both things, it goes down as a legendary hire.
Old 01-20-2014   #130
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I get the point that any money gained in value of the team is unrealized. It isn't money burning a hole in his pocket.
So it's like a savings account that you get an unbelievable interest rate on?
Old 01-20-2014   #131
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 62488 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Or is it like the 401K and retirement you had with Enron?
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014   #132
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Damn, I didn't know Bob was our G.M.

I'll give you Carr.. that's the only time where McNair carried a player. Everyone else though, he let the people he hired make their decisions and control their staff and the personnel they wanted to bring in.

Sorry, I still don't get the "BoB" crap. You want a example of a crappy owner who doesn't know what the hell he's doing and doesn't give two craps about winning .. you only have to look across the way..

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...lkA1ZJUDM1Ml8x

Houston Astros' owner: Fans can ‘write a check for $10 million’ if they want a better roster

That's what a ****ty owner looks and sounds like, That is the real "BoB" in this city here, because that team will never contend without some Billie bean A's, Tampa bay rays, and Florida Marlins magic. That "BoB" has turned a big market team playing in a big city into a small market team. Bob McNair has done the complete opposite and has spent money on this team and this city.

Has he made money? Hell yes he has, but only because this city is a true NFL city and because the moron owner before him was brain dead and decided to pull anchor...

Is it "BoB's" fault that he was smart enough to dig on a gold mine here?

"BoB" sells tickets, makes money, and has a great PR staff (what sports owner doesn't want that and it's completely idiotic for any fan to try to blame him for that)... that's all true, but can we please cut the bull crap that "BoB" only cares about the bottom dollar over winning? That's just stupid.
BoB sets the bar for the types of players HE wants on his team. The Texans will never win a SB under the current constraints BoB puts on HIS team.

Like Texan Bill told me a long time ago. This is BoB's team and he will build it in the image he wants. Not the one that I want, you know a winning one.

So tell me this is BoB a brilliant businessman and a complete (Using your word) moron when it comes to the on the field product. Or does the on the field product always come 2nd for BoB. Before you answer that, remember that BoB said he looked at Bud as a mentor, and considered him to be a great friend. He said this on Channel 13 after Bud's funeral. This IS the type of owner the GREAT FANS of the HOUSTON TEXANS have.
Old 01-20-2014   #133
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 62488 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
BoB sets the bar for the types of players HE wants on his team. The Texans will never win a SB under the current constraints BoB puts on HIS team.

Like Texan Bill told me a long time ago. This is BoB's team and he will build it in the image he wants. Not the one that I want, you know a winning one.

So tell me this is BoB a brilliant businessman and a complete (Using your word) moron when it comes to the on the field product. Or does the on the field product always come 2nd for BoB. Before you answer that, remember that BoB said he looked at Bud as a mentor, and considered him to be a great friend. He said this on Channel 13 after Bud's funeral. This IS the type of owner the GREAT FANS of the HOUSTON TEXANS have.
I keep hearing that Bob won't win because he won't hire thugs and goons. I disagree with the premise.

ps Anakin was a great guy before he became the Evil Darth Vader too. I think this is a good analogy for Bud.
Old 01-20-2014   #134
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Yeah I know, he's also our head coach too.

He's the entire reason why we suck ass. freaking BoB!
He's the owner of the team and that responsibility falls on him. He doesn't want to do anything too traumatic.

So to answer your question, YES he's the entire reason. He sets policy and hires incompetent people to run his on field product. And when the team bottoms out every 4-8 yrs he wont entirely clean up his mess.

See: Smith, Rick/Greir, Bobby for example.
Old 01-20-2014   #135
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I keep hearing that Bob won't win because he won't hire thugs and goons. I disagree with the premise.

ps Anakin was a great guy before he became the Evil Darth Vader too. I think this is a good analogy for Bud.
New England/San Fran/Seattle and to a lesser extent Denver would disagree with you. Although Denver appears to have a problem with its front office personnel drinking and driving.
Old 01-20-2014   #136
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Comparing the NFL to Enron = LOL

Talk about a stretch. SMH
Old 01-20-2014   #137
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
This is technically true (well, actually since you used "years" instead of "year" it's not), but may be a bit overstated. Belichick was on the Patriots staff for one year - Parcells last, and the first year they went to the Super Bowl. After that it was off to the Jets with Parcells.

I've always considered the Belichick hiring by the Pats as being driven as much by the desire to screw the Jets as it was to bring in the best HC available. However, since they clearly did both things, it goes down as a legendary hire.
A man that gets it.
Old 01-20-2014   #138
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:

Not really. Both are/were houses of cards.
Old 01-20-2014   #139
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, Marshall nailed it. The bank is obligated to pay interest on your savings account and give you the money on demand AND barring misconduct the value is steady or increases. Those are not true for an investment in an NFL team. Stocks however may appear to have gained value in the market but until there is a sale (for which there has to be a buyer) any gain is purely theoretical AND the perceived value could disappear tomorrow.
Old 01-20-2014   #140
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no idea why you people are trying to simplify the word "investment." It really shouldn't be that hard for an adult to comprehend.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read