Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-18-2014   #521
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Was there anything to that Mallet rumor? I find it intriguing.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #522
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
I can't see Schaub being back based on how McNair and smith have commented on the situation. Seems to me they've already decided to move on.
If it were me making the decision, saving $4M would not be enough to cut Matt Schaub, considering the organization feels the need to have a veteran QB on the team.

Now, make Schaub a June 1st cut, & cutting him becomes a much more attractive to the tune of $11M dollars.
Old 01-18-2014   #523
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If it were me making the decision, saving $4M would not be enough to cut Matt Schaub, considering the organization feels the need to have a veteran QB on the team.

Now, make Schaub a June 1st cut, & cutting him becomes a much more attractive to the tune of $11M dollars.
Either way he is gone.

He will never wear a Texans uniform again.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #524
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Either way he is gone.

He will never wear a Texans uniform again.
I think that is most likely the case. However, McNair said he wants a veteran QB on the team in 2014. From the available FAs we know of now, who do you want?

Our cap situation isn't as bad as a particular member would have you believe (bless her heart), but we do need to be smart about how we "invest" our resources this offseason.

Vick
Henne
Freeman
Hill
Whitehurst
Garrard
Grossman
Kitna
McCown (x2)
McCoy
Painter
Webb

Again, I don't care to ever see Matt Schaub in a Texans uniform again. But I don't want to see the Texans shoot themselves in the foot for some misplaced hatred. There were several QBs playing as poorly as Schaub to start 2013 (for whatever reason) each hurting their teams chances of winning. Those franchises stuck it out with their guy; Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Carson Palmer... & they all managed to end the season better off than we did (well, we got the #1 pick... none of them made the play-offs).

Phillip Rivers was thought of as "worse" than Schaub just two years ago, last year he "bounced back."

We need to objectively consider all our options, that's all I'm saying.
Old 01-18-2014   #525
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think that is most likely the case. However, McNair said he wants a veteran QB on the team in 2014. From the available FAs we know of now, who do you want?

Our cap situation isn't as bad as a particular member would have you believe (bless her heart), but we do need to be smart about how we "invest" our resources this offseason.

Vick
Henne
Freeman
Hill
Whitehurst
Garrard
Grossman
Kitna
McCown (x2)
McCoy
Painter
Webb

Again, I don't care to ever see Matt Schaub in a Texans uniform again. But I don't want to see the Texans shoot themselves in the foot for some misplaced hatred. There were several QBs playing as poorly as Schaub to start 2013 (for whatever reason) each hurting their teams chances of winning. Those franchises stuck it out with their guy; Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Carson Palmer... & they all managed to end the season better off than we did (well, we got the #1 pick... none of them made the play-offs).

Phillip Rivers was thought of as "worse" than Schaub just two years ago, last year he "bounced back."

We need to objectively consider all our options, that's all I'm saying.
Really very simple.

If we draft JFF ... we sign Vick.

If we don't, we sign a pocket QB like McCown or similar.
Old 01-18-2014   #526
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Really very simple.

If we draft JFF ... we sign Vick.

If we don't, we sign a pocket QB like McCown or similar.
So now we're out of cap space, unless we make Schaub a June 1st cut.

That's all I'm saying.
Old 01-18-2014   #527
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
So now we're out of cap space, unless we make Schaub a June 1st cut.

That's all I'm saying.
Yeah well Smith trashed the cap and still has a job for some reason. That's a whole different issue.
Old 01-18-2014   #528
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Yeah well Smith trashed the cap and still has a job for some reason. That's a whole different issue.
I wouldn't say trashed. We "thought" we were Super Bowl contenders. Gotta pay to play.

I still think Schaub's contract was just shy of genius. He evaluated Matt correctly, recognized the risks, & provided several outs for himself. Flacco, Ryan, Romo, Cutler.... at the time, I wouldn't have taken any of those for Schaub & those teams married themselves to those QBs. Flacco, maybe. But I wouldn't have given him the money he got for sure. Somewhere between what Schaub got & what Flacco got.

We can cut Schaub (& several others) for a net gain in 2014. We can use the June 1st option & it's a big gain.
Old 01-19-2014   #529
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline 53s

Source familiar with the Texans tells me the team would have no problem drafting Bortles & bringing in a veteran to ease Bortles along.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #530
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post

Source familiar with the Texans tells me the team would have no problem drafting Bortles & bringing in a veteran to ease Bortles along.
Who is Tony Pauline? Is this a credible source?
Old 01-19-2014   #531
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
He sounds like a soprano character.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #532
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 60634 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wouldn't say trashed. We "thought" we were Super Bowl contenders. Gotta pay to play.

I still think Schaub's contract was just shy of genius. He evaluated Matt correctly, recognized the risks, & provided several outs for himself. Flacco, Ryan, Romo, Cutler.... at the time, I wouldn't have taken any of those for Schaub & those teams married themselves to those QBs. Flacco, maybe. But I wouldn't have given him the money he got for sure. Somewhere between what Schaub got & what Flacco got.

We can cut Schaub (& several others) for a net gain in 2014. We can use the June 1st option & it's a big gain.
I just don't see shifting $7M of the Cap hit to 2015 when we need it most.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #533
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Old 01-19-2014   #534
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post

Yes and McNair is also wanting to draft Clowney. Texans trying to make the #1 pick attractive.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #535
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
I can tell you who he's not...

He's not Bill O'Brien. And if we take a QB at 1-1 Bill O'Brien will be making that selection. And he sure as sh!t isn't talking to Tony Pauline or Jason LaCanfora or Tony Soprano or any other NFL rumor-mongering media types trying to boost their Twitter following.

Team sources quit telling the truth to the media regarding the draft when their slot was set. If fun for us to play in, but take it fwiw.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #536
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

There are plenty of threads where this is relevant, but I'll start with this one.

The Browns reportedly are willing to trade up to get Manziel.

Quote:
The Cleveland Browns are one of the teams in need of a long-term answer at quarterback and hold the fourth overall pick in the first round of the NFL Draft.

The Browns are willing to trade up to land Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel in the draft if need be, Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports, citing sources.
Link
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #537
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
There are plenty of threads where this is relevant, but I'll start with this
There is a thread about it in the draft forum.
Old 01-19-2014   #538
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
There is a thread about it in the draft forum.
Ah, missed it. Should've used control + F.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #539
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What paycheck71 said is true. No extension is required. Cutting Matt Schaub is not required.

Matt Schaub has a $17M cap number in 2015. Cutting him & taking the hit in 2014 will free up $17M, making him a June 1st cut frees up $10M in 2015.

That $7M will most likely have no effect on signing Jj Watt long term. We'll be $25M under the cap making Schaub a June 1st cut. There are still other things we can do to free up more money.

In Paycheck's scenario, Schaub takes a paycut for 2014, & we cut Schaub as a June 1st cut going into the 2015 season, We'll free up $14M for 2015, opposed to $17M.
What a stupid contract.

Thanks Rick
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #540
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I can tell you who he's not...

He's not Bill O'Brien. And if we take a QB at 1-1 Bill O'Brien will be making that selection. And he sure as sh!t isn't talking to Tony Pauline or Jason LaCanfora or Tony Soprano or any other NFL rumor-mongering media types trying to boost their Twitter following.

Team sources quit telling the truth to the media regarding the draft when their slot was set. If fun for us to play in, but take it fwiw.
How do you know Rick Smith isn't making the draft calls?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read