Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-17-2014   #41
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Hoyer/Ryan Mallet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
And the fact that we don't have to give up a pick to get him?

Look, if that's the guy they feel most comfortable with going with, then okay whatever. I would just hate that move. He's not even like Schaub or Foles or Cousins or some other backup that's shown glimmers in limited time. This guy has literally shown nothing other than being on the roster that O'Brien helped coach for a couple years.

Add to the fact that he appears to be a cancer? **** that. Stay far, far away.
Uhhhhh!!!!! Mallett is Tom Brady's backup. That probably explains a few things. Tell me about all of the trouble Mallett has been in since becoming an NFL player?

I understand the fanbase not wanting to go down this road again. But know this, Mallett has more god given ability than Schaub ever had. Smart- Schaub-Mallett even, Mobility Schaub= Mallett, Mallett is probably more mobile. Arm strength Mallett>Schaub No comparison.

BTW, I trust BO'B to make this call.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #42
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
If he knew how to drive a motorcycle he would probably already be getting his second shot in the NFL.
True

I wonder if Arian will be held to the same standard? LOL
Old 01-18-2014   #43
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
If he knew how to drive a motorcycle he would probably already be getting his second shot in the NFL.
Old 01-18-2014   #44
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Mallet is comparable to Matt Schaub in size and his sloth-footed footed agility, but there's one very significance difference: Schaub's got a .22 and Mallet has a Howitzer.
Mallet makes Schaub look like a world class athlete and it's really not close.

5.24 vs 5.04 40
24 vs 30 vertical
103 vs 110 broad jump

Schaub was explosive in comparison (pre-injury obviously).

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #45
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Mallett is basically Mettenberger with experience in BO'B's system. If McNair truly believes that the Texans are a short turnaround, then Mallett is a better bet than any rookie QB that will be drafted.
Or maybe BOB just feels that Mallett is a better QB for his offense than any rookie coming out, no matter if there's a multi-year turnaround to competitive form for the Texans or not ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #46
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Ryan Mallet coming here via trade is something that would interest me. Longshot it happens though.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #47
gohogs14
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 gohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Mallett is basically Mettenberger with experience in BO'B's system. If McNair truly believes that the Texans are a short turnaround, then Mallett is a better bet than any rookie QB that will be drafted.
Yeah i always thought Mettenberger was a poor man's Mallett. Their styles are pretty similar, and they both had/have off the field concerns.

Quote:
lol after what happened with the falcons i don't think any team would take a risk on him, and i don't think he wants to either. I think he realizes he's a college coach. I could see him being a solid NFL OC again though if his career ever takes a dive or something
gohogs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #48
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohogs14 View Post
Yeah i always thought Mettenberger was a poor man's Mallett. Their styles are pretty similar, and they both had/have off the field concerns.

Mallet may be as bad as Schaub, maybe even worse when it comes to running boots, but his arm alone makes him a different kind of prospect that Schaub. I mean if BOB really wants a vertical game say instead of a more WCO like Kubiak ran, he's got that with one guy but not the other.
Old 01-18-2014   #49
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

My preference between draft and other trade potentials remains Mallet. A nice honest assessment of Mallet from a July 2013 piece.

Quote:
As for Ryan Mallett on the field, he has been blessed with alot of talent. Although he is slow, he has a cannon for an arm, arguably the strongest in the NFL. Despite his slow speed, he has shown he can escape from the pocket both at Arkansas and in the Preseason with the Patriots. He makes all of the right reads, has a great football IQ, is tall, has big hands and possesses a large wingspan. His height and wingspan are especially useful because he can see over the defense easier, making use of the whole field with his eyes. In addition, he can lift the football high in the air given his long arms. If he can learn ball security, this should help him avoid fumbling in the NFL when opposing defenses try to strip sack him or he takes off to scramble out of the pocket. In some ways, both athletically and when it comes to smarts, he is very similar to Brady. At 6'6'' 245 lbs he is a mountain of a man and he towers over the legendary Tom Brady who is 6'4'' 225 lbs. They both have similar 40 times too as Brady runs a 5.28 and Mallett runs a 5.37. As for his smarts, if you saw any of the 2011 pre draft coverage showed on ESPN you know ho much he knows about football. Mallett broke down game film with Jon Gruden and he knew everything Gruden was going to throw at him. As someone who can retain alot of information, and having Belichick and Brady as mentors, Mallett should be able to pick opposing defenses apart in a few years as Brady does now.

Regarding his weaknesses, he needs to learn better accuracy in the NFL, which should come with time. Especially, on touch passes the ball tends to sail over receivers' heads more often than he would like. Another problem with Mallett so far is that he throws the ball too hard on short throws sometimes. Two specific examples come to mind, both in the preseason for the Patriots. In the first example, Mallett threw a rocket to former Patriots receiver Taylor Price when he was only a few yards away coming over the middle. The throw sailed a little bit and Price got slammed by an oncoming defender while trying to make the catch. This not only could have severly injured Price, but it also caused him to drop the pass. The other example was when he threw a pass to former Pats WR Buddy Farnham over the middle. The ball went off of his hands because he anticipated a softer pass instead of a rocket out of Mallet's hand. He must learn to take some velocity off of his short throws if he wants to be a successful NFL QB.

With all that said, I believe that Ryan Mallett is a future star in the league but he has alot of work to do to get there. It would be a big mistake if the Patriots trade him as he can be the heir apparent to Tom Brady. If you are the Patriots, why would you trade a player with Mallett's potential for a 2nd round pick or possibly less, when you have an aging QB in Brady and Mallett is only 25 years old. If the worst were to happen and Brady were to have a season ending injury, Mallett would be a nice security blanket to have step in.
link

The latter question is not one that I have a great answer for.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #50
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
My preference between draft and other trade potentials remains Mallet. A nice honest assessment of Mallet from a July 2013 piece.

link

I do. Brady is likely to play for another 5 years. Neither Mallett nor the Pats is going to want the heir apparent taking over at 30 years old. They would have to franchise him to keep him, he's on the last year of his contract.
Old 01-18-2014   #51
gohogs14
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 gohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Gruden video that they were referring to- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAkdOs8IxLQ
gohogs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #52
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

link

This lost me here:

Quote:
In some ways, both athletically and when it comes to smarts, he is very similar to Brady.
There has never been anything to suggest this. At best it's just wishful thinking.

I have no problem with anyone who wants to paint Mallett in a positive light. He has a ton of tools. But there is a lot of reaching going on around here. Mallett very well may turn into a star. But up to this point the only positives he has shown is that he has a huge frame, a huge arm, and he was able to efficiently run Petrino's power spread offense, which has somehow been confused as being a pro style offense just because they run the ball a lot.

Does Mallett appear to have the required skills to be an elite NFL QB? Yes. Does he also show traits that suggest he could be a bust? Yes.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #53
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
What a find ! Good job CND ! I love it because it fuels my dream and keeps it alive with the hopes of getting a stud veteran arm in FA or a trade and still having our #1 overall to field a team that included both JJ and Clowney, a defense that the whole league would fear. Also known as having ones cake
while consuming it.
But I love the comparison to Brady, obviously much more flattering than comparing "Big Tex" to the late Matt Schaub. Afterall, who knew that Mallet was a Brady clone ?
I do think it would be more challenging and expensive to prior Mallet out of the steely grip of Belicheck's
control, especially since the Pat's HC knows how much BOB likes his backup QB. And Brady could go down at anytime, it's happened before as we know, so delivering Mallet to the Texans may come at a higher price than the organization is prepared to pay.
Old 01-18-2014   #54
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I do think it would be more challenging and expensive to prior Mallet out of the steely grip of Belicheck's
control, especially since the Pat's HC knows how much BOB likes his backup QB.
Why? Belching only wanted a high second for him last year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2014   #55
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans fans seem to be in love with backup mediocre QBs. It's like they're afraid of actually drafting a franchise caliber QB. Bill O'Brien is going to draft a QB with the first pick. It's a no brainer. He's not going to go with someone else's backup QB no matter how much he likes him or draft Clowney. A DE will not win you a Super Bowl, he can certainly help, but only an elite QB will get us there.
Old 01-18-2014   #56
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Texans fans seem to be in love with backup mediocre QBs. It's like they're afraid of actually drafting a franchise caliber QB. Bill O'Brien is going to draft a QB with the first pick. It's a no brainer. He's not going to go with someone else's backup QB no matter how much he likes him or draft Clowney. A DE will not win you a Super Bowl, he can certainly help, but only an elite QB will get us there.
So obviously you don't think Mallett doesn't have the ability to become a franchise QB. I've watched Mallett since high school and think he can be a franchise QB. So we will have to agree to disagree.
Old 01-18-2014   #57
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

link

That's about as accurate and honest of an assessment of Mallet as what we had around here from the Case fanclub.

It reads like it was written by his agent or even his mom. "He's just like Tom Brady!" isn't exactly an unbiased description of a guy who is 1 of 4 with an INT for his career.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #58
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Just saw on facebook that apparently gil brandt is tweeting that the Texans are trying to trade their 2nd round pick for mallet. Cant find the tweet.
stingray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #59
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Nevermind, he apparently said "that he could see that happening"...as opposed to its in the process.
stingray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #60
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
That's about as accurate and honest of an assessment of Mallet as what we had around here from the Case fanclub.

It reads like it was written by his agent or even his mom. "He's just like Tom Brady!" isn't exactly an unbiased description of a guy who is 1 of 4 with an INT for his career.
I believe that some are reading things a little too literally. The author includes lots of the "warts" he has to overcome. But pointing out the potential. This is very little different from what we are hearing about the upcoming draft candidates.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read