Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-18-2014   #21
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 20662 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Gardner fired???

Bill must have caught them playing solitaire on the computer instead of planning ahead for the draft.
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #22
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Fire Rick Smith next.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by htowntexans1985 View Post
Bill must have caught them playing solitaire on the computer instead of planning ahead for the draft.
I am curious if OB had any say in these firings.

It's probable that Kubiak would still be here, if he'd have fired Marciano, Bush, Wade..... Benton. If nothing else, a head coach should be able to assemble a competent staff. & quite frankly I haven't been pleased with many of our position coaches.

So maybe Rick is doing what Kubiak wouldn't & shedding dead weight.

I am cautious that it sounds like I was right & Rick Smith did not have as much influence over the HC hire as I would like. Well, not that I wanted Rick Smith picking our HC, but the GM should have some influence over the HC, I think.

The HC should have absolutely no influence on scouts & directors of pro personnel.

At the very least, it sounds like our HC & our GM are the heads of two departments, reporting directly to Bob McNair.
Old 01-18-2014   #24
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 64171 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted them to fire everyone including the janitor but Gardner will do.
Old 01-18-2014   #25
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing is year in and year out there are journeyman type players who go on to make significant impacts for their new teams. The Texans haven't been exactly hitting on those types of signings I would say. Ball was one guy who was decent for us in certain aspects, but he was JAG.

I think this probably may have had a little something to do with it IMO. Maybe they looked at some of their reports on past free agents, and they could have just been completely off. Having known people in the scouting department I can tell you that if you miss and are way off on too many guys then you won't have a job for long. Its very possible that's what happened in this case.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #26
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
any chance they bring in alonzo highsmith from the packers to replace gardner until they promote him to GM when lil ricky gets the ax in a year or two?
Highsmith is in Miami, right? If I was 'zo I'd take just about any gig that got my away from that dumpster fire of an organization.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #27
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 121746 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Gardner fired

I'm not pretending to know what's going on (cause I have no idea), and it could certainly be that this is O'Brien flexing his muscle, but has anybody considered the possibility that these are Kubiak guys who were simply cleared out as Rick Smith works to consolidate power at the front office level?

Both of these guys were hired by the Texans in '06, and while nobody knows fore certain, there's clearly a number of folks who believe that Kubiak was in charge of pretty much everything at the time of his hire.

Lots of folks (including me) will hate this idea, and I can't even call it speculation as I'm not saying I believe it to be true - just wondering about it.

Anybody out there seeing something I'm not and therefore can shoot this theory out of the water?
Old 01-18-2014   #28
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
What the F has Whisenhunt done to win you over?
I'm not necessarily a Whisenhunt guy, but honestly why has he not been as successful an NFL HC as Jon Gruden or Cower ? OK he's much more understated and not got that flashy personality of Gruden, or dosen't look mean and slobber like Cowher, but if not for a terrible call by a ref he win's the SB just as those other two coachs .
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #29
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 121746 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant Hothy View Post
Highsmith is in Miami, right? If I was 'zo I'd take just about any gig that got my away from that dumpster fire of an organization.
He's a "Senior Personnel Executive" with the Packers.
Old 01-18-2014   #30
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
He's a "Senior Personnel Executive" with the Packers.
Ah, thanks.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #31
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I'm not necessarily a Whisenhunt guy, but honestly why has he not been as successful an NFL HC as Jon Gruden or Cower ? OK he's much more understated and not got that flashy personality of Gruden, or dosen't look mean and slobber like Cowher, but if not for a terrible call by a ref he win's the SB just as those other two coachs .
Whisenhunt was probably right behind Lovie on the list of guys we didn't hire but I would have been fine with (and for the record, I have no problem with O'Brien being brought in ahead of either of those guys).

What I don't understand is hearing the primary (and almost exclusive) criticism of Whisenhunt being that he couldn't win without Warner, but then - from a generic NFL coaching standpoint - seeing how many folks put forth the philosophy that you can't succeed without an above average QB. Arizona never had a QB that was even close to average after Warner retired.

We've had some debate on this site for the last few years (thankfully no longer relevant) that went beyond the QB position, regarding whether Kubiak was capable of getting a team to the Super Bowl . Simply questioning was he capable of doing it under any circumstances. Well, that's an argument that doesn't need to be conducted as it relates to Whisenhunt.

As a somewhat related additional comment, I'm not excited at all to see that he's bringing in Ray Horton to coordinate the Titans D.
Old 01-18-2014   #32
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 45032 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

>Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora)
Many people in the league believe if Texans GM Rick Smith had his way, Ken Whisenhunt would have been his top choice. More change could come

I agree with Rick Smith..
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #33
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
When you finish 2-14 there is going to be people getting fired. Gardner may have been the greatest guy in the world but he was a contributor to 2-14.

Although I would've preferred Whisenhunt over Obie, I'm very happy to know that BoB's token didn't set the franchises future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
What the F has Whisenhunt done to win you over?
Yes... tell us. Please.
Count me in the camp of those that think Whisenhunt's success out west was due to Kurt Warner. We don't have anything close to a Kurt Warner. Whisenhunt has never, ever shown the ability to pick a good QB let alone develop a rookie QB.
I'm actually rejoicing that Tennessee is stuck with him. I think they screwed the pooch by firing Munchak
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #34
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, there goes my inside source
Old 01-18-2014   #35
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not pretending to know what's going on (cause I have no idea), and it could certainly be that this is O'Brien flexing his muscle, but has anybody considered the possibility that these are Kubiak guys who were simply cleared out as Rick Smith works to consolidate power at the front office level?

Both of these guys were hired by the Texans in '06, and while nobody knows fore certain, there's clearly a number of folks who believe that Kubiak was in charge of pretty much everything at the time of his hire.

Lots of folks (including me) will hate this idea, and I can't even call it speculation as I'm not saying I believe it to be true - just wondering about it.

Anybody out there seeing something I'm not and therefore can shoot this theory out of the water?
There MIGHT be a connection with Kubiak but I don't know.

http://media.houstontexans.com/image...tionsStaff.pdf

Based on this document, he came over in 2006 after spending a couple of years with the Buccs. Prior to that, he was with the Niners for several years.

He could have known Kubiak from that Niners association. But I don't know.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #36
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What I don't understand is hearing the primary (and almost exclusive) criticism of Whisenhunt being that he couldn't win without Warner, but then - from a generic NFL coaching standpoint - seeing how many folks put forth the philosophy that you can't succeed without an above average QB. Arizona never had a QB that was even close to average after Warner retired.
The question is: Who's fault is that? Is it Whisenhunt's fault that he couldn't identify the right QB? Or is it his fault that he couldn't develop the ones he got?

I don't know either way on that. He did a pretty good job developing Roethlisberger and getting the most out of him when he was a young QB but then again, how much say did he have in drafting him?

He might just have a bad eye in spotting QB talent and how it's going to transition to the NFL. In which case, he's not a guy we'd want.

In a lot of ways, Whisenhunt is like Kubiak to me. They don't seem to have an eye for finding QB talent but when they get it, they can put an offense around it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #37
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'd say you are "getting warmer" with those statements. There was definitely more than a couple of people in the scouting department who thought Rick should have been fired, and didn't respect him as a talent evaluator, but not because they are simply Kubiak guys. I'm surprised it took him this long to give those guys the boot, but I'm not surprised they are gone. Incompetent folks always need to fire subordinates in order to cover up their own inadequacies, and that's all that is happening here.
Old 01-18-2014   #38
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 129410 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I'd say you are "getting warmer" with those statements. There was definitely more than a couple of people in the scouting department who thought Rick should have been fired, and didn't respect him as a talent evaluator, but not because they are simply Kubiak guys. I'm surprised it took him this long to give those guys the boot, but I'm not surprised they are gone. Incompetent folks always need to fire subordinates in order to cover up their own inadequacies, and that's all that is happening here.
He'll run out of fall guys soon
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #39
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
He'll run out of fall guys soon
We'll see who has more stroke in the future .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #40
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Yes... tell us. Please.
Count me in the camp of those that think Whisenhunt's success out west was due to Kurt Warner. We don't have anything close to a Kurt Warner. Whisenhunt has never, ever shown the ability to pick a good QB let alone develop a rookie QB.
Like ChampionTexan said, we all know no coach is going to go far without a QB. I don't hold that against Whiz.

He also didn't have Derrick Brooks & Warren Sapp. He took a team very similar to the one we have to the Super Bowl. So did Love Smith.

After Warner & Lienart their stabs at future QB were iffy & strange. I don't know those were his decisions or his GMs. So I don't hold those against him either.

If Rick Smith is the guy his fans say he is, I think Whiz or Lovie was the quickest path to a Super Bowl. I've got nothing against OB. I'm looking forward to next season.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read