Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-17-2014   #21
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Hoyer/Ryan Mallet ?

Major knocks that I remember against Mallet were:

- That he was not a good leader. He had a ton of confidence but his teammates were turned off by his arrogance and inability to accept that anything could be his fault. This was a rumor that I never saw supported in writing, but maybe it was his interviews that caused him to drop in the draft?

- He time and time again crumbled at the end of games when his team needed him to step up.

- He was rumored to have been involved with some major drugs. I don't remember which ones exactly but something like cocaine or meth. Again, this was only a rumor as well.

I was never high on Mallet for reason #2. He always reminded me of Elvis Grbac, who did eventually have two good seasons with the Chiefs but that was it.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

- He time and time again crumbled at the end of games when his team needed him to step up.
Ok, if this is true (& should be easy to see), he's off the list.
Old 01-17-2014   #23
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
To me, that sounds like Mallet should be given heavy consideration. OB drafted him. If he's matured some since then, he could be a steal. The Patriots wanted a high 2nd for him last year, I don't see why they'd want more this year.

The season we traded for Schaub, the Falcons were asking for a 1st, Rick Smith talked them into two 2s. If he can pull that off this year, give up two 3s for Mallet, or even this years 3 & next years 2, that would be a steal....

If Mallet delivers.
Seems like a steal to me.

Has anybody heard anything about any issues Mallett has had since turning pro? Work ethic/drug problems etc....

It just took an 18-20 yr old kid (Mallett) awhile to mature. Just like most 18-20 yr old kids.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #24
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Major knocks that I remember against Mallet were:

- That he was not a good leader. He had a ton of confidence but his teammates were turned off by his arrogance and inability to accept that anything could be his fault. This was a rumor that I never saw supported in writing, but maybe it was his interviews that caused him to drop in the draft?

- He was rumored to have been involved with some major drugs. I don't remember which ones exactly but something like cocaine or meth. Again, this was only a rumor as well.

I was never high on Mallet for reason #2. He always reminded me of Elvis Grbac, who did eventually have two good seasons with the Chiefs but that was it.
Valid questions, How many games did Arkansas win before Mallett got there? After he left? I don't remember him choking at the end of games. Mallett has more god given ability than Grbac ever had and more than any QB in this draft. IMHO We are not talking about another Schaub here.
Old 01-17-2014   #25
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 45564 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To me, that sounds like Mallet should be given heavy consideration. OB drafted him. If he's matured some since then, he could be a steal. The Patriots wanted a high 2nd for him last year, I don't see why they'd want more this year.

The season we traded for Schaub, the Falcons were asking for a 1st, Rick Smith talked them into two 2s. If he can pull that off this year, give up two 3s for Mallet, or even this years 3 & next years 2, that would be a steal....

If Mallet delivers.
As long as New England doesn't ask sure thing money or draft picks for a project, I'm OK with a trade and letting Keenum, Yates and Mallet compete. All have a better chance if we get better line play from either the draft or from IR.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
As long as New England doesn't ask sure thing money or draft picks for a project, I'm OK with a trade and letting Keenum, Yates and Mallet compete. All have a better chance if we get better line play from either the draft or from IR.
I still expect Richard Smith/OB to assess the QBs in this draft. If they think Mallet is a better prospect, then that's the direction I want them to go.

Even still, I would like Richard Smith to get better at acquiring draft capital, whether that is future picks, or talent worth trading for picks. IMO, that's one of his bigger failures as a GM.

Our future QB may not be in this draft, may not be Ryan Mallet, but we need to acquire the capital to allow us to move up in the draft if need be, without hurting our future.
Old 01-17-2014   #27
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Valid questions, How many games did Arkansas win before Mallett got there? After he left? I don't remember him choking at the end of games. Mallett has more god given ability than Grbac ever had and more than any QB in this draft. IMHO We are not talking about another Schaub here.
Arkansas went 8-5 in Houston Nutt's last season in 2007. They went 5-7 while transitioning from Nutt to Bobby Petrino in 2008. Then with Mallett, they went 8-5 and 10-3. In Petrino's final year they went 11-2 with Tyler Wilson at QB. They then went 4-8 with the same QB but with a different coach, John L. Smith.

Mallett was not responsible for Arkansas' success. Petrino was. Mallett was a key cog who put up good stats, but the team tied a school record with 11 wins the very next season after he left. With a QB who was drafted in the 4th round and promptly got cut because he couldn't beat out UDFA Matt McGloin to be the third string QB in Oakland.

Mallett may have a ton of ability but ability isn't everything. There are numerous examples of that. I still remember everyone making a deal of it when Brian Billick compared him to Ryan Leaf before the draft.

2010:
-In his final college game, down 5 points, his defense blocked a punt and gave him the ball on the 18 with a minute left. He threw an incompletion and then a pick.

-Earlier that year, they led Alabama 20-14 going into the fourth quarter. In that fourth quarter Mallett was 4/10 for 44 yards and 2 INTs. The first one set Bama up on the 12 yard line when they were down three points. They scored a TD to go up four with three minutes left. Next possession, Mallett throws another pick to seal the deal.

2009:
-Arkansas was down 7 to Ole Miss entering the fourth quarter. Arkansas only got the ball twice. Mallett didn't make the most of it. He went 3/6 for 44 yards and both drives ended with him taking sacks on 3rd down. Their last six plays they totaled -16 yards. -21 if you count the delay of game right before that sequence because Mallett didn't get the snap off in time with his team out of timeouts.

-Against Alabama they were down 14-7 with 10 mintues left in the third quarter. Mallett went 2/11 for 38 yards and an INT the rest of the way.

-Against Georgia they entered the fourth quarter down four points. He went 2/11 for 29 yards.
----------

That's five games in two years where he shrunk in crunch time. In most of those games he had nice looking stats. But the box score doesn't tell the story. When his team needed him he failed to deliver.
Old 01-17-2014   #28
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82834 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Yay let's trade for a back-up again! No sense actually drafting a QB when there's so many back-ups in the league!
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #29
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56462 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

No thanks on this guy. Sounds like way too much trouble and no real evidence he can play. Why the **** would we trade a higher-end pick for this guy, especially to the Patriots who are notorious for destroying people in trades? Am I missing something here? Just draft our own guy. Enough of this.
TheMatrix31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
No thanks on this guy. Sounds like way too much trouble and no real evidence he can play. Why the **** would we trade a higher-end pick for this guy, especially to the Patriots who are notorious for destroying people in trades? Am I missing something here? Just draft our own guy. Enough of this.
We have no more reason to believe Bridgewater, Manziel, or Bortles can play.
Old 01-17-2014   #31
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You mean other than they all have had superior college careers, have higher grades going into the draft, will go in the 1st round instead of the 3rd and have played in meaningful games in the past three years?
Old 01-17-2014   #32
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno what Mallet might cost us if our new HC wants him, but we've got the first pick in the 3rd round which is equivalent to the 74th pick (where Mallet was selected in '11) plus a 4th round pick, so maybe our 3rd rounder for Mallet would make sense. But would BB agree ?
Mallet is comparable to Matt Schaub in size and his sloth-footed footed agility, but there's one very significance difference: Schaub's got a .22 and Mallet has a Howitzer.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #33
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78568 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Arkansas went 8-5 in Houston Nutt's last season in 2007. They went 5-7 while transitioning from Nutt to Bobby Petrino in 2008. Then with Mallett, they went 8-5 and 10-3. In Petrino's final year they went 11-2 with Tyler Wilson at QB. They then went 4-8 with the same QB but with a different coach, John L. Smith.

Mallett was not responsible for Arkansas' success. Petrino was. Mallett was a key cog who put up good stats, but the team tied a school record with 11 wins the very next season after he left. With a QB who was drafted in the 4th round and promptly got cut because he couldn't beat out UDFA Matt McGloin to be the third string QB in Oakland.

Mallett may have a ton of ability but ability isn't everything. There are numerous examples of that. I still remember everyone making a deal of it when Brian Billick compared him to Ryan Leaf before the draft.

2010:
-In his final college game, down 5 points, his defense blocked a punt and gave him the ball on the 18 with a minute left. He threw an incompletion and then a pick.

-Earlier that year, they led Alabama 20-14 going into the fourth quarter. In that fourth quarter Mallett was 4/10 for 44 yards and 2 INTs. The first one set Bama up on the 12 yard line when they were down three points. They scored a TD to go up four with three minutes left. Next possession, Mallett throws another pick to seal the deal.

2009:
-Arkansas was down 7 to Ole Miss entering the fourth quarter. Arkansas only got the ball twice. Mallett didn't make the most of it. He went 3/6 for 44 yards and both drives ended with him taking sacks on 3rd down. Their last six plays they totaled -16 yards. -21 if you count the delay of game right before that sequence because Mallett didn't get the snap off in time with his team out of timeouts.

-Against Alabama they were down 14-7 with 10 mintues left in the third quarter. Mallett went 2/11 for 38 yards and an INT the rest of the way.

-Against Georgia they entered the fourth quarter down four points. He went 2/11 for 29 yards.
----------

That's five games in two years where he shrunk in crunch time. In most of those games he had nice looking stats. But the box score doesn't tell the story. When his team needed him he failed to deliver.
Yeah, that's the guy I want...to be nowhere near a Texan's roster. I keep seeing his completion percentage since turning pro. One for you, one for us.

No thanks. I don't see how anyone, especially the guys I see signing off on it can say that with a straight face.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #34
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78568 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
TK, how can you say that with a straight face? He was rated way up there with Gabbert and Locker.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You mean other than they all have had superior college careers, have higher grades going into the draft, will go in the 1st round instead of the 3rd and have played in meaningful games in the past three years?
Sorry counselor, you're going to have to "define" "superior college careers" show me the draft grades you speak of.

I'm also not sure that Bridgewater would go in the first round in the same draft as Newton, Locker, & Ponder.

How many meaningful games did Colin Kaepernick play in 2011? Or Aaron Rodgers in 2005, 2006, or 2007?

From everything I've read, Mallet was as successful as any of these QBs in this draft (save Heisman winner Manziel), ran a pro style offense with Petrino, has the size, has the arm..... but because of some off field issues, he fell in the draft.

He's had some time to mature, he's studied under the GOAT, he's been coached by the GOAT...
Old 01-17-2014   #36
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56462 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
And the fact that we don't have to give up a pick to get him?

Look, if that's the guy they feel most comfortable with going with, then okay whatever. I would just hate that move. He's not even like Schaub or Foles or Cousins or some other backup that's shown glimmers in limited time. This guy has literally shown nothing other than being on the roster that O'Brien helped coach for a couple years.

Add to the fact that he appears to be a cancer? **** that. Stay far, far away.
TheMatrix31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #37
gohogs14
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 gohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

2010:

2009:

----------

His 2009 season was his first year starting so he was very raw and admittedly had some pretty bad games on the road that year. But he still had 5 TDs against georgia...if you still lose after that then it's on your defense (which was horrible)

In 2010 though the only real "choke" i thought he had was alabama. In the ohio state game his WRs dropped about 12 passes, several for scores, in that game so it shouldn't have even come to that. He also led late comeback wins against Georgia and Mississippi State.

Quote:
Don't know if i agree with you there, Mallett only played for two years and holds a ton of records

-Set or tied 43 school records in his time at Arkansas
-His career average of 29.6 yards per touchdown pass is the highest in SEC history
-His 158.1 career passing efficiency ranking is the third-highest in SEC history
-He threw for at least one touchdown in 25 of 26 Arkansas starts, multiple touchdowns in 15 starts at Arkansas and three or more touchdowns in 13 starts as a Razorback
-Finished 7th in the heisman trophy voting in 2010, just ahead of Colin Kaepernick and Andy Dalton

Quote:
Teammates seem to rally around his vocal leadership and feed off his positive energy, but scouts will need to look into why coaches at Michigan had issues with him that eventually led to him transferring.

During spring practices in 2008, he missed the final two weeks due to an injured finger on his throwing hand. Other than that, there are no standout durability issues for Mallett.
The first comment is kinda odd to me, he left because the new coach wanted a dual-threat QB like he had with pat white at west virginia and that doesnt suit his style. He also broke his foot in the offseason before the 2010 season but they left that out
gohogs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #38
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

2010:

2009:

----------

This makes me ask why isn't Petrino the new HC of the Texans. LOL
Old 01-17-2014   #39
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I dunno what Mallet might cost us if our new HC wants him, but we've got the first pick in the 3rd round which is equivalent to the 74th pick (where Mallet was selected in '11) plus a 4th round pick, so maybe our 3rd rounder for Mallet would make sense. But would BB agree ?
Mallet is comparable to Matt Schaub in size and his sloth-footed footed agility, but there's one very significance difference: Schaub's got a .22 and Mallet has a Howitzer.
Mallett is basically Mettenberger with experience in BO'B's system. If McNair truly believes that the Texans are a short turnaround, then Mallett is a better bet than any rookie QB that will be drafted.
Old 01-17-2014   #40
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
This makes me ask why isn't Petrino the new HC of the Texans. LOL
If he knew how to drive a motorcycle he would probably already be getting his second shot in the NFL.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read