Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-16-2014   #1061
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57863 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
How? They are literally nothing alike besides their skin color...
That's what you see. That doesn't mean that is what everyone else sees. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean that somebody else does. When you put on the tape you can see a lot of similarities. In some instances Geno Smith's performances exceed Teddy Bridgewater performances. I happen to believe that Geno has the better arm. Don't forget in week 5 of the 2012 season Geno was the prohibitive favorite to win the Heisman. Besides the melanin, they're almost carbon copies of each other in height and weight. FYI I was Geno fan, still am. I thought he would be the first QB to be drafted (wrong) but wasn't sure he would go in RD 1 (right). If Geno had Teddy's defense he might've won the Heisman.

Last edited by Texian; 01-16-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #1062
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How? They are literally nothing alike besides their skin color...
Don't bother Matt. Texian is a good guy and knows a lot, but he's an absolute troll when it comes to defending his QB (Bortles) or putting down the other QB a lot of people like (Bridge).

We've done this dance before about 30 pages ago.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #1063
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57863 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Don't bother Matt. Texian is a good guy and knows a lot, but he's an absolute troll when it comes to defending his QB (Bortles) or putting down the other QB a lot of people like (Bridge).

I really thought I was trying to answer the guys question honestly and as forthrightly as I could without trolling. He did ask me a question. I didn't mention Bortles, only pointed out a different perspective that he was not seeing or considering. I also didn't think my comparison of Geno and Bridgewater was a put down. My reading of the post I thought my comments were quite positive about Geno and therefore Teddy. From the viewpoint of a Teddy fanatic perspective maybe not.....
Old 01-16-2014   #1064
BigB0iFresh
Veteran

Rep Power: 1335 BigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedBigB0iFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the only place where I've seen Teddy compared to Geno........
BigB0iFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #1065
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post

Pretty sure Texian's a she
Old 01-16-2014   #1066
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
No, he just does a fair impersonation of permanent PMS.
Old 01-16-2014   #1067
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
No, he just does a fair impersonation of permanent PMS.
Mid 40s and still so juvenile.....
Old 01-16-2014   #1068
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant Hothy View Post
MoveTheSticks

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks

I'd love to know why teams have him out of the 1st.
Size
Mechanics
Arm strength
Level of competition
Old 01-16-2014   #1069
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
That's what you see. That doesn't mean that is what everyone else sees. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean that somebody else does. When you put on the tape you can see a lot of similarities. In some instances Geno Smith's performances exceed Teddy Bridgewater performances. I happen to believe that Geno has the better arm. Don't forget in week 5 of the 2012 season Geno was the prohibitive favorite to win the Heisman. Besides the melanin, they're almost carbon copies of each other in height and weight. FYI I was Geno fan, still am. I thought he would be the first QB to be drafted (wrong) but wasn't sure he would go in RD 1 (right). If Geno had Teddy's defense he might've won the Heisman.
Thats what I was asking, if someone else sees that I was curious as what to their analysis is. Is there any scout or fan or anyone with a blog account that has compared Bridgewater to Geno?

Geno ran a spread Air Raid offense out of shotgun, Bridgewater runs a pro style offense, takes snaps under center in single back formation and performs 3,5,7 step drops.

Geno had a fairly strong arm, but lacked consistent accuracy and touch on his passes. Bridgewater appears to have average arm strength, but is very accurate and shows great touch on his short and intermediate throws. Many scouts said Geno was a very good deep passer while Bridgewater seems to need to work on his deep ball accuracy.

Footwork and mechanics. Again not a strength a Geno and something most people believe Teddy excels at.

As their last season went on, Geno only got worse and cracked under the heisman pressure, while Bridgewater only got better and ignored all the expectations put on him and his team

The biggest difference and what caused Smith to fail was his mental makeup and perceived work ethic and football IQ after the combine. Scouts and teams questioned Smiths qualities and many nasty reports came out saying he was not a student of the game, lazy, and lacking a passion for the game. As far as we can tell Bridgewater is none of these things and reports suggest he has an excellent IQ and is one of the hardest workers on the team.

So similarities I guess I see are skin color, comparable build, and similar athletic ability. Besides that I really don't see how anyone could compare the two QBs and why Bridgewater would start to free fall before the draft, because everything we know suggests once he gets into interviews and up to blackboards he will do nothing less than impress.
matts290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #1070
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mid 40s and still so juvenile.....

Old 01-16-2014   #1071
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Size
Mechanics
Arm strength
Level of competition
the arm strength isn't a major one for me. his arm is good enough, its just he prefers to put more touch on his throws than throwing with extra zip.
if he wants to make those extra few yards he can.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #1072
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 122253 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would not be surprised if some teams out there see Bridgewater as just another Geno Smith.
In case anyone was wondering, Texian isn't the only one to make the comparison.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...ville-football
Old 01-16-2014   #1073
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post

Quote:
Bridgewater appears closer to the Griffin model than Smith, who played in an offense heavy on short passes and yards after the catch. That's good news for Louisville -- Griffin continued his strong start and won a Heisman, while Smith tailed off as 2012 went on.
Quote:
The former Mountaineer had 13 incompletions and averaged under eight yards per attempt in his next game, against Maryland, and had an awful four-game stretch in Big 12 play from mid-October to mid-November
The article is from September and really the only comparison they made between the two is that both goth off to hot starts in their first 2 games of the season. In fact it points out a difference that I made in my previous post; Bridgewater continued his great season and ended with a bang in the bowl game against Miami, while Smith cooled off as the season went on.
matts290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #1074
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Thats what I was asking, if someone else sees that I was curious as what to their analysis is. Is there any scout or fan or anyone with a blog account that has compared Bridgewater to Geno?
I don't think so.

Here, WalterFootball compares Geno to McNabb. I don't think I've heard anyone compare Bridgewater to McNabb.
Quote:
Summary: Smith was one of the most consistently effective quarterbacks in college football over the past three seasons. He led some of the most prolific and high-powered offenses while showing steady improvement over the years.

Smith completed 65 percent of his passes in 2010 as a first-year starter for 2,763 yards with 24 touchdowns and seven interceptions. He made big improvements in year two and produced an excellent junior season for the Mountaineers. Smith completed 66 percent of his passes for 4,385 yards with 31 touchdowns and seven interceptions. He also ran for 180 yards and two scores.

The junior played his heart out against LSU's talented defense with 463 yards passing. That Tigers' defense was comprised of future NFL draft picks led by a superb secondary featuring Morris Claiborne, Tyrann Mathieu, Eric Reid and Brandon Taylor. Smith hung tough in the pocket despite constantly getting blasted by LSU's defensive line led by Michael Brockers, Sam Montgomery and Barkevious Mingo.

Smith started out the 2012 season on fire. Ignoring that Baylor's defense was the equivalent of a wet paper bag, the senior was a model of quarterback perfection in a record-setting performance. He had one of the most prolific games in college football history by completing 45-of-51 for 656 yards, eight touchdowns and zero interceptions. The signal-caller threw touchdown passes of 7, 47, 20, 2, 45, 52, 87 and 39 yards.

Smith played well against Texas to lead West Virginia to a road win. He completed 25-of-35 passes for 268 yards, four touchdowns and zero interceptions. Smith did have two fumbles though from sacks by Alex Okafor, one for a Texas touchdown and another inside his own 15-yard line.

The reason that Smith isn't a candidate to be the first-overall pick is due to a lack of consistency during the second half of his senior season. West Virginia struggled down the stretch. Smith had a poor showing against Kansas State, completing 21-of-32 passes for 143 yards, a touchdown and two interceptions. It was his second bad game in a row after struggling against Texas Tech. Both defenses took away the deep part of the field, and he couldn't engineer the Mountaineers' offense to dink-and-dunk well enough to move the ball or produce points.

Smith ended his collegiate career with an ugly game against Syracuse. He had fumbling issues and bad decisions which led to two safeties for the Mountaineers. Smith struggled against the Orange's pass rush.

The senior completed 71 percent of his passes this year for 4,356 yards, 42 touchdowns and six interceptions. Smith has an excellent skill set. He has demonstrated his intelligence and field vision by working through his progressions and looking off safeties. Smith has some natural accuracy with good arm strength to make all the throws. That adds up to him being able to fire some fastballs into tight windows with phenomenal ball placement to hit receivers in stride. He rarely ever throws interceptions and has superb decision-making.

Smith's plus mobility allows him to pick up first downs with his feet and bail out his offensive line. He will need to improve his footwork for the NFL and that is the primary reason why his accuracy can be inconsistent. Smith has to get more uniform with good feet to get in a rhythm and deliver the ball on point. If Smith can make strides with his feet, he could be a very accurate passer.

WalterFootball.com has heard from former teammates of Smith that he is extremely studious in the film room. For the most part, Smith has good intangibles, but there were times where he sulked on the sideline when things weren't going well for West Virginia. He needs to show more strength to handle adversity as a professional.

Smith has all the tools to be a franchise quarterback. He has the skill set to be a quality starter, but needs good talent around him. Whether or not Smith pans out will depend largely on him landing with a good, stable coaching staff.

I have not watched a lot of Geno Smith in college, because I was not curious in him at all as far as our selections go. However, reading this, I see he is different from Bridgewater in that

Geno has the size. 6'2" 218lbs (they have Bridgewater listed as 218 as well)
Geno played in a major conference Big 12
Geno struggled in several games..... *supposedly better competition

They didn't think Geno could start from day 1.

But very similar in other ways.
Old 01-16-2014   #1075
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 15632 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

This offseason is going to be brutal.

bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #1076
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post

This isn't even a comparison of the players as prospects. It's strictly a look at how their stats compared after the first two games of their respective final seasons.

So Texian is still the only one making that comparison as far as I can tell.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #1077
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 122253 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The article is from September and really the only comparison they made between the two is that both goth off to hot starts in their first 2 games of the season. In fact it points out a difference that I made in my previous post; Bridgewater continued his great season and ended with a bang in the bowl game against Miami, while Smith cooled off as the season went on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
This isn't even a comparison of the players as prospects. It's strictly a look at how their stats compared after the first two games of their respective final seasons.

So Texian is still the only one making that comparison as far as I can tell.
He made a comment about Height , weight and how folks might consider him another Geno Smith. I then posted a link that compares a portion of their college careers statistically, since you folks say nobody has ever made any comparison.

When you can show he claimed a comparison of offensive styles, mechanics, footwork, etc. - then I'll understand what you're bitching about.
Old 01-16-2014   #1078
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm 6'2 and about 205, can I be compared to Teddy? I may be white, but my soul is black...
Old 01-16-2014   #1079
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I'm 6'2 and about 205, can I be compared to Teddy? I may be white, but my soul is black...
need to see some video

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #1080
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38637 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
we'll need further measurements to asses.

Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read