Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2014   #1641
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Seriously would be that was not a normal 2-14 team. They were 1 QB away from a disappointing at 10-6 playoff team.
Just 1 QB? So any guy could have just stepped in and got them to 10-6? Or did it take a QB with a certain level of skill?

I'm not foolish enough to argue that Luck is an elite QB at this point. But that is not some dream team supporting cast he has around him. The guy might dig a hole now and then that he can't crawl out of, but he has been in the league for two whole years. Plus, he leads the entire NFL in 4th quarter comeback wins during those two years.

If y'all can't see it then I can't help you. It's there. He just hasn't quite put it all together yet.
Old 01-15-2014   #1642
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Am I the only one who thinks its odd that O'Brien has only seen Manziel play once or twice? I guess when he's at home he has his hands full, but still found it strange.
Old 01-15-2014   #1643
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Am I the only one who thinks its odd that O'Brien has only seen Manziel play once or twice? I guess when he's at home he has his hands full, but still found it strange.
If that is true, I find it very strange, but it sounds like classic "coach speak" to me. Saying that he has only seen Manziel a couple times allows him to dodge any more questions regarding the subject.

I have been a Teddy guy for a few months now, but as I watch and rematch cutups and film on them, and read more opinions across message boards and such, I must say Manziel is really closing the gap for me.
Old 01-15-2014   #1644
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
If that is true, I find it very strange, but it sounds like classic "coach speak" to me. Saying that he has only seen Manziel a couple times allows him to dodge any more questions regarding the subject.

I have been a Teddy guy for a few months now, but as I watch and rematch cutups and film on them, and read more opinions across message boards and such, I must say Manziel is really closing the gap for me.
His home situation is pretty unique so part of me believes it.
Old 01-15-2014   #1645
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why would you think he would watch Manziel?
Old 01-15-2014   #1646
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Why would you think he would watch Manziel?
Football coaches are fans too.......... Manziel is the former Heisman winner..... why wouldn't he want to watch him?
Old 01-15-2014   #1647
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
His home situation is pretty unique so part of me believes it.
Yeah true, and I am sure during the season he wasn't planning on coming to an NFL team where he would be scouting college talent all around the country, so maybe he has only seen Manziel play a couple of times. Still Manziel was the biggest name in college football for two years, and for a college head coach to only have seen him a couple times seems strange.

I heard the interview and he said a couple times "other than on TV" so maybe he meant he has seen Mazniel on TV plenty but never in person.
Old 01-15-2014   #1648
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Just 1 QB? So any guy could have just stepped in and got them to 10-6? Or did it take a QB with a certain level of skill?

I'm not foolish enough to argue that Luck is an elite QB at this point. But that is not some dream team supporting cast he has around him. The guy might dig a hole now and then that he can't crawl out of, but he has been in the league for two whole years. Plus, he leads the entire NFL in 4th quarter comeback wins during those two years.

If y'all can't see it then I can't help you. It's there. He just hasn't quite put it all together yet.
^^^^
This

He sure seems to like beating his hometown Texans.
Old 01-15-2014   #1649
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's what you took from that? Mmmkay. The point was what was around the QB was not the total crap that is being made out.

Quote:
Never said anything different. Just saying I am not going to declare he has made it based on "taking a 2-14 team to the playoffs."
Old 01-15-2014   #1650
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That's what you took from that? Mmmkay. The point was what was around the QB was not the total crap that is being made out.
I'm not saying that's what you meant but it was a very vague statement. It's not like Luck is just some guy. His talent is undeniable. Is it being overstated by some at this point? Probably.

Quote:
Never said anything different. Just saying I am not going to declare he has made it based on "taking a 2-14 team to the playoffs."
If by "made it" you mean elite QB then I agree. If by "made it" you mean he isn't the biggest reason why that 2-14 team is now in the playoffs then I disagree.
Old 01-15-2014   #1651
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If by "made it" you mean elite QB then I agree. If by "made it" you mean he isn't the biggest reason why that 2-14 team is now in the playoffs then I disagree.
By made it I mean elite. By extension what I am saying is it didn't take an elite QB to get that 2-14 team to the playoffs.

I posted this in TexansTalk on what to expect from the Texans next season: The average 2 win team lost 2.7 more games than their prior season to get to 2 wins. The Colts and Texans are very atypical with the Colts losing 8 games more and the Texans losing 10 more games - both primarily due to QB issues. I expect those kinds of teams to have a bigger bounce because they are bouncing back to a much higher starting point than usual.
Old 01-15-2014   #1652
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Football coaches are fans too.......... Manziel is the former Heisman winner..... why wouldn't he want to watch him?
I just don't think it's odd. I would think he probably doesn't have much free time.
Old 01-15-2014   #1653
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53113 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just don't think it's odd. I would think he probably doesn't have much free time.
He was probably busy watching Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, etc. film. Then recruiting. Then watching some Penn State film, then recruiting some more. Then maybe babysitting a couple of his players. Why would he spend any time watching JFF?
Old 01-16-2014   #1654
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
He was probably busy watching Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, etc. film. Then recruiting. Then watching some Penn State film, then recruiting some more. Then maybe babysitting a couple of his players. Why would he spend any time watching JFF?
Honest question..... are you guys friends with any college coaches? Those guys are football junkies. I haven't met one who doesn't DVR games and watch as much football as possible. Its really kind of annoying.
Old 01-16-2014   #1655
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 87983 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Honest question..... are you guys friends with any college coaches? Those guys are football junkies. I haven't met one who doesn't DVR games and watch as much football as possible. Its really kind of annoying.
If he's watching film of upcoming opponents and recruits as well as from his own team, there's little time left for the media darlings. This is as much as possible for a married man with a special needs son.

His focus on balancing football with life is a characteristic which helps me get over his Yankee roots.
Old 01-16-2014   #1656
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That is exactly what Im getting at - He's good , but hasn't lived up to the hype. He's not great at this point.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 01-16-2014   #1657
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
That is exactly what Im getting at - He's good , but hasn't lived up to the hype. He's not great at this point.
He's a top 10 QB that just helped his team make the playoffs for the 2nd time in 2 yrs and has more comeback wins than any QB in the NFL during that time. Luck has certainly lived up to my expectations.

I feel sorry for the QB that the Rick drafts if expectations are higher than these.
Old 01-16-2014   #1658
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Eh, I think he's lived up to the expectations that were placed on him. He's only been in the league two years. What hasn't he done that he was expected to accomplish by this point?

And while I'm wouldn't call him elite yet I do think he is great. I think he's a top 8 QB in the league with plenty of potential to get even better.
Old 01-16-2014   #1659
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
That's semantics. If that's true, then the RG3 trade is also not relevant to this discussion because there is no outstanding talent available that would dictate such a trade like there was in 2012.

I've said it over and over, talent dictates value. The value is not as high this year as it was with RG3. You can't just point to the 2012 trade and say that is the value of the 2014 #1 pick. The talent pool dictates the value.

I agree with you that those pre-New CBA trades are not in line with the current value attributed to draft picks but, as I said, using the RG3 trade as the standard is not accurate either.
Would you not agree that talent is not the only thing dictating value? Pressure on coach/owner to get "over the top" or turn a season around would also effect how a player is valued. Similarly a team like Houston or Vikings or Cleveland with basically no QB would be willing to pay more than a team with an average player. Costs as previously discussed would also make a huge difference under this CBA; and this is what makes it exciting.
Old 01-16-2014   #1660
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Are we seriously questioning Luck????? Luck has been GREAT! He has the roster of a 2-14 team and elevated them to the playoffs. He's not good all of the time, but they are where they are because of Luck.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read