Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-09-2014   #61
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: Discount Free Agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Frank View Post
It would be nice if we could scrap up enough money for Brian Orakpo, Or Jairus Byrd.. I know they won't come cheap.. but loosing Schaub, Tate, and Smith should be able to get one #hopeful
I am not sure tate is gone. They could high tender him for 2m and if nothing else, still draft a rb. Tate is a good back, but sometimes he tries to do too much. Tate would be fine if paired with a 3rd down type of guy. We dont know if arian will play again or what level he will be at. For 2m, I think thats a good safeguard. Maybe they trade a 5th for ronnie hillman who seems to be in the underground doghouse.
Old 01-09-2014   #62
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I am not sure tate is gone. They could high tender him for 2m and if nothing else, still draft a rb. Tate is a good back, but sometimes he tries to do too much. Tate would be fine if paired with a 3rd down type of guy. We dont know if arian will play again or what level he will be at. For 2m, I think thats a good safeguard. Maybe they trade a 5th for ronnie hillman who seems to be in the underground doghouse.
Tate can't be tendered.
Old 01-10-2014   #63
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Arian is scheduled to be back in time for training camp and we still owe him money, at least enough to just keep him for another season. Tate wants to be a teams #1 back. He doesnt want to be a 2nd fiddle and I think hes had enough of Houston as Houston has had of him.

With Foster and Johnson, you can grab a Tate replacement on the cheap in the back half of the NFL draft. There are several talented guys who will be there.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #64
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Free Agents I would like to see us look at.

Toby Gerhart....Badboy what do you think?
Donald Brown. I would love him.

Julian Edelman... Perfect fit..
Golden Tate..probrbly going to cost too much.
Tedd Ginn. Speed for the outside and a returner.
Dexter McCluster another good fit...

OT
Oher
Winston temporary fix..

OG
Jon Asamoah
Geoff Swartz

DT
Randy Starks
Jason Hatcher
Ziggy Hood

ILB

Brandon Spikes
Toby would be an interesting discussion as a FA with a hammy and probably would insist on going to a team where he has chance to start. A great insurance policy for Vikings but terrible for him. If Foster is healthy, I would not recommend he come here if I were his agent. He could be a hell of a #2.
Old 01-13-2014   #65
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 15034 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Pat Angerer or Perry Riley anyone?
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #66
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, one of the top 3 guys that I would have targeted in FA tore his ACL. Chris Harris, 2011 UFA CB Denver, was about to get paid and tore up his knee. This guy nobody thought would even make the team and through grit and hard work he had taken over as one of the 2 starting CBs half way through the season and was playing his a$$ off. Would not feel so bad if he was a first round draft pack...already millionaire. Hope he has a quick recovery. Damn I would of liked to have him in a Texans uniform. That is the type of guy you want on the roster.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #67
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Correction, Chris Harris is a RFA.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #68
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
Pat Angerer or Perry Riley anyone?
I liked Riley coming out of LSU. Very underrated around the league.
Old 01-14-2014   #69
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 4489 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Can We All Agree We Should Get Brian Orakpo?

he will be the highest paid fa, but hey, thats why rick smith gets paid the big bucks right?
try to convince me why we cant get him if we give him antonio's money. let's make this happen rick.

thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #70
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 15034 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Your probably talking OD, Schaub, and Manning or JJoe money as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #71
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Potential Free Agents

We currently have about $ 9 million for the right guy or guys if fortunate.
Old 01-15-2014   #72
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
We currently have about $ 9 million for the right guy or guys if fortunate.
That's only relevant as far as cap number goes.

We can offer three people a $9M contract as long as we can get their cap numbers below $9M.

Like Glover Quin. He signed a 5 years $23M contract. $5M signing bonus. With a $1M salary, his cap hit for 2013 was only $2M.

We can sign 4 guys to contracts like that with $9M....

Then we can & will cut Schaub.
Old 01-15-2014   #73
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

We can offer three people a $9M contract as long as we can get their cap numbers below $9M.

Like Glover Quin. He signed a 5 years $23M contract. $5M signing bonus. With a $1M salary, his cap hit for 2013 was only $2M.

The should be able to sign a FA NT/OL with that cap $$$$ especially after they cut Schaub.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #74
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

Sorry was saying up to $9 million the first contract year. Not very interested in a player making $2 million a year other than as a back up depending on whom.
Old 01-15-2014   #75
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Sorry was saying up to $9 million the first contract year. Not very interested in a player making $2 million a year other than as a back up depending on whom.
We need to staty away from those $9M/yr guys. Not very healthy for long term cap health. And you definitely want to stay away from them in FA, where the name of the game is to overpay.

We need more guys who are worth between $4M/yr & $6M/yr...... Like Glover Quin.

I think Rogers-Cromartie could test FA this year. I wouldn't have a problem signing him to ~ $9M/yr, we can restructure Jjo's money to pay for it, move Kj to safety.... & still have $9M of cap space.
Old 01-15-2014   #76
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
We need to staty away from those $9M/yr guys. Not very healthy for long term cap health. And you definitely want to stay away from them in FA, where the name of the game is to overpay.

We need more guys who are worth between $4M/yr & $6M/yr...... Like Glover Quin.

I think Rogers-Cromartie could test FA this year. I wouldn't have a problem signing him to ~ $9M/yr, we can restructure Jjo's money to pay for it, move Kj to safety.... & still have $9M of cap space.
yeah any player we bring aboard need to be hits not misses. FA does not look good for me.
Old 01-15-2014   #77
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yeah any player we bring aboard need to be hits not misses. FA does not look good for me.
i think there are a couple of guys at RT we could get in FA and for relatively cheap. first guy i target is Austin Howard.

If we can find one or two starters from the FA period that would be amazing. they don't have to be big money FA either. just solid role players
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #78
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

ANYBODY but Glover Quin! A open space in the defense is better than he, because others will fill in to do the job Quin was supposed to do. His mere presence on the field throws away games.

ROSENCOPTER, but not Glover Quin!
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #79
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 123249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
ANYBODY but Glover Quin! A open space in the defense is better than he, because others will fill in to do the job Quin was supposed to do. His mere presence on the field throws away games.

ROSENCOPTER, but not Glover Quin!
Not sure if serious....
Old 01-16-2014   #80
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

A) So when I look here I see we have 116 Mill tied up in contracts for 2014

http://overthecap.com/nfl-cap-space2.php?Year=2014

B) When I look here I see The 2014 salary cap is projected to be 126 Mill

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-cap-situation

C) When I look here at 2013 rookie cap numbers I estimate we use about 6.2 mill on about 4 rookies and IR the rest of them

http://overthecap.com/nfl-rookie-salary-cap.php

D) When I look at a few contracts and use probability and what I've heard I can cut a few of these contracts and save a few bucks (OD, Schaub, McCain OR Harris, Newton (I Pray), 3 other guys I don't know worth about 1.5 mill, and probably a contract or 2 restructured to save 2 mill)

http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.ph...xans&Year=2014

Overall this is the math I've done, I can definitely be wrong and I'm totally rounding, feel free to correct me so I better understand this in the future...

B (126) - A (116) - C (6.2) + (D) 13.5 = ~17 mill for FA.

I guess we can get Orakpo. I definitely like the guy that's not in question, but that's gonna be a huge chunk of this. What will we do about depth EVERYWHERE then?

The Texans are an extremely snake bit franchise with regards to injury and we NEVER seem to have any depth anywhere on this team. If we get Brian Orakpo, hell yes I'm down, but we better be VERY smart with where we spend the rest.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read