Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-15-2014   #21
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O達rien Explains What Type Of Quarterback He Wants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
If I hear him say just one more time

"everybody wants to know if your defense will be a 3-4 or a 4-3... but now about 70 percent of the games are played in nickel and dime defense because of the way the type of league that it is."

I'm gonna kill somebody
Seems like an overreaction to O'Brien stating was obvious on the field.
Old 01-15-2014   #22
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33797 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I heard him make the same statements before , must have been a day or two after the hiring.

As for what's already on the roster , the position is a train wreck .... the QB position played the biggest part in derailing the teams season.
I actually thought Case Keenum played well enough to win about five of those games. The nailbiters we let get away because a lack of defense and running game for a full 60 minutes. We lost about seven straight games by one score.
Old 01-15-2014   #23
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
I actually thought Case Keenum played well enough to win about five of those games. The nailbiters we let get away because a lack of defense and running game for a full 60 minutes. We lost about seven straight games by one score.
He was part of that equation. His inability to mount any offense in the 4th quarter of most of those games was a key issue in a lot of the losses.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #24
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Not to start a Keenum discussion, but one or two fields goals would've made a huge difference in the final evaluation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
If this really happens Texans are in the drivers seat. Mallet will be a free agent after next season. Why trade for him when you can just wait a year and get him without a trade? NE can get something but with my first comment what can they really get? 3rd rounder if lucky? 4th?

They also have to decide if he is the QB of the future and how long will Brady keep playing.
Good point, I wasn't aware he had one more year left.

I'm at work, so I don't have time to look up Mallet's scouting report, but that would be relevant to this discussion.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #25
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Is this the guy I hire to be the CEO of my organization???

That's one important question OB said he will be asking himself.

It force's you to be inquisitive in a functionally different manner than just film/measureables.

I'd hire Manning, Brady, Brees, Wilson, Luck...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #26
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Is this the guy I hire to be the CEO of my organization???

That's one important question OB said he will be asking himself.

It force's you to be inquisitive in a functionally different manner than just film/measureables.

I'd hire Manning, Brady, Brees, Wilson, Luck...
That logic almost definitely excludes Johnny Football. Not CEO material at all, IMO.
I'd hire him as a bar tender or choose him for my dodge ball team, though.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #27
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
He was part of that equation. His inability to mount any offense in the 4th quarter of most of those games was a key issue in a lot of the losses.
Agreed. That and the D giving up 98 & 99yd drives for TDs. That didn't help the cause either.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #28
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeaLikeRightNow View Post
Remember This: Tom Brady will be 37 years old. If Bill Belichick wants to trade you Ryan Mallett YOU DON'T WANT HIM. In all likehood, Brady has 1 maybe 2 years left. If Belichick thinks Mallett is a suitable replacement for Brady he's NOT trading him. If Belichick thinks that Mallett is NOT a suitable long term replacement, then Belichick is ready to play "LET'S MAKE A DEAL"!
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #29
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Remember This: Tom Brady will be 37 years old. If Bill Belichick wants to trade you Ryan Mallett YOU DON'T WANT HIM. In all likehood, Brady has 1 maybe 2 years left. If Belichick thinks Mallett is a suitable replacement for Brady he's NOT trading him. If Belichick thinks that Mallett is NOT a suitable long term replacement, then Belichick is ready to play "LET'S MAKE A DEAL"!
everyone has a price
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #30
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Remember this: Ryan Mallett is entering the final year of his contract. If Bill Belichick wants to trade Ryan Mallett, he could just be looking at getting something in return for him while he still can. Brady could still be the starter for the Patriots for three more years, so why would Mallett not want to test free agency next year if another team wants him to be their starting QB?
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #31
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe Bellichick will decide to retire when Brady retires. He is smart enough to realize that Tom Brady is a big reason he is going to the hall of fame 5 years after he retires. Leave the game on top and he would seal up his legacy as one of the greatest coaches ever in the nfl. Stay and risk some losing seasons with a new qb before eventually retiring. I can't picture him in the booth though like some other coaches after retirement.
Old 01-19-2014   #32
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If they trade Mallett, I could see Belichick drafting a developmental QB like Jimmy Garoppolo in the 3rd rd to be Brady's replacement. The time frame is wrong for Mallett to be the longterm replacement. Mallet is/was insurance against Brady injury and happened to be BPA at the time he was drafted.

I'm thinking of starting up a thread on Garoppolo, I saw him for the 1st time yesterday during the East West game and he really impressed me. I could see him being drafted in the 2nd rd. Cant wait to see how he performs at the Sr. Bowl.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #33
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If they trade Mallett, I could see Belichick drafting a developmental QB like Jimmy Garoppolo in the 3rd rd to be Brady's replacement. The time frame is wrong for Mallett to be the longterm replacement. Mallet is/was insurance against Brady injury and happened to be BPA at the time he was drafted.

I'm thinking of starting up a thread on Garoppolo, I saw him for the 1st time yesterday during the East West game and he really impressed me. I could see him being drafted in the 2nd rd. Cant wait to see how he performs at the Sr. Bowl.
He did look good yesterday. I'm anxious to see how he does at the Senior bowl.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #34
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Forget about Mallett, there is a reason that Brady is playing Manning and Kaepernick is playing Wilson.
Old 01-19-2014   #35
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 170382 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Forget about Mallett, there is a reason that Brady is playing Manning and Kaepernick is playing Wilson.
That's such a crock. You never know until the guy gets in there. By your theory Brady, Kaep, Steve Young, etc never should have played because the guys in front of them were playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #36
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
This scenario seems plausible, but I don't like it.

Re-Tool/Re-Build/whatever... The common factors in successful ones are an effective head coach and choosing the right QB.

If we do choose another 3rd round backup QB that wasn't worthy of a 1st round pick again we better not give that MFer another 7+ years to show us what he can do (or what he can't).
I posted this 4 weeks ago. If we trade a 2nd (basically a first) for Mallet, I'm done.

I can't live with this garbage philosophy of win now with a loser QB that isn't good enough to win now while we pass up on the future again.

Quote:
I 100% agree. Why the F would they trade him if they saw any long term value in him??? He's tall with a good arm, but it ends there. And why the F would you give up a 2.01 (basically a first) for some guy that is about to immediately require a starting QB contract when this team has holes all over the place???!

The answer is he wants to win now, but this is NOT the guy to do it. This has ruined my day. I moved to this city right after the Rockets won their championships. Since I became a Houston Sports fan we haven't done a damn thing and we've been a dumpster fire for sports since. This is just another chapter in sucking for another 4 years.

We aren't the Browns, but we might as well be. Those fans show up to game 1 w/ a paper bag on their heads in good spirit cause they know what's coming. It's better than this false hope and BS decisions. I know this trade is going down and I know Mallet will suck. WE SUCK AGAIN!
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #37
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
That's such a crock. You never know until the guy gets in there. By your theory Brady, Kaep, Steve Young, etc never should have played because the guys in front of them were playing.
See Post #28. Kraft & Belichick trades Mallett to McNair & O'Brien, friend and student (take advantage of), to the Texans for their 2nd RD, #33 draft pick. With the Texans 33rd pick the Patriots select QB Jimmy Garoppolo. Three years later, Brady retired, the Patriots w/ Garoppolo at QB beat the Texans in regular season who are w/o Ryan Mallett who is out of football for doing his best David Carr/Matt Schaub impersonations. The Patriots go on to the playoffs with another Belichick assistant for McNair to hire and and a backup QB McNair can trade for......while Kraft and Belichick crank the stereo for Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" while singing....second verse same as the first.

Last edited by Texian; 01-19-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-19-2014   #38
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow the older Mallett gets , the better he was .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #39
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
I 100% agree. Why the F would they trade him if they saw any long term value in him???
Because he's likely not going to remain with the Patriots long term. Mallett is entering the final year of his contract. Do you honestly think Mallett would turn down a starting job & 50+ Million to remain as Brady's backup when he enters free agency? I don't.

I'm not advocating for trading for Mallett, but I see the benefit for the Patriots trading him if they can get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him. They can then draft a Mettenberger/Mccarron type with that pick to backup Brady until he retires.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #40
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Wow the older Mallett gets , the better he was .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Do you honestly think Mallett would turn down a starting job & 50+ Million...
Yeah, he's a $50 million dollar QB now.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read