Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-14-2014   #1101
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
A pretty good read by Tanya Ganguli on our new coach.

Bill O'Brien big on building trust, dedication
Excellent piece by Tania on Bill O'Brien...

Quote:
But to address this story?

“This is awkward,” O’Brien says.

It was the relayed recollection of an old coach that started this. Mickey Kwiatkowski, who coached at Brown University when O’Brien played there and when he first coached there, remembers that night from 1992 clearly. They were about to play Columbia in the last game of the season and he asked his seniors to speak to the team. Kwiatkowski stood with another coach, Jim Bernhardt, listening. After O’Brien spoke, something started to happen.

“Here's what happened after that,” Kwiatkowski says. “It wasn’t so much in sequence because some had already spoken. Every senior that got up after that -- and by the end of it I’m going, ‘Wow. What’s going on here?' -- every senior talked about Billy O’Brien and what Billy O’Brien meant to the football team. His humor, his intensity, his leadership, his example. And every kid had a story about how Billy made the team better and how Billy made them better.

“I said Jesus, Mary and Joseph, Jimmy. Who is that kid?”
Makes you want to....

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #1102
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
OB on Mike & Mike this morning: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=10291631
enjoyed it.
Old 01-14-2014   #1103
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 124668 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
enjoyed it.
Cant get it to finish loading.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #1104
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That was cool.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #1105
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know a lot of folks don't like 610 but here's his interview there.

Quote:
Coach O’Brien, or OB as many call him and he admits is his favorite nickname, knows that things need to change for the Texans and it is more about working hard than changing the culture.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #1106
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Coach O’Brien, or OB as many call him and he admits is his favorite nickname...
OB it is.

Quote:
I know a lot of folks don't like 610 but here's his interview there.
Q: What's the most gratifying thing about coaching?

OB: Winning.

Old 01-14-2014   #1107
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OB it is.

Yep. I'm thinking I'm liking this guy more and more. Can't wait to see what he can do with our team!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #1108
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 124668 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OB it is.

Quote:
Yep. I'm thinking I'm liking this guy more and more. Can't wait to see what he can do with our team!

And furry suits.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #1109
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the nickname is "Obie" (pronounced O.B.) like in that high school bio picture floating around.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #1110
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

The Good, the Bad & the Ugly of OB’s Tenure: http://pennstate.scout.com/2/1362137.html
Old 01-14-2014   #1111
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 128458 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

As more coaches get hired to fill out the remaining vacant coaching positions, the happier I am that we fired Kubiak early and went after O'Brien.

I like Lovie Smith and he's a great coach in my opinion, but I think we got the best guy available.
Old 01-14-2014   #1112
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 15632 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
As more coaches get hired to fill out the remaining vacant coaching positions, the happier I am that we fired Kubiak early and went after O'Brien.

I like Lovie Smith and he's a great coach in my opinion, but I think we got the best guy available.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #1113
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64231 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll stick to calling him "O'Brien" or "Bill O'Brien" or "Coach O'Brien."
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #1114
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

One thing for sure, we'll get a good idea of who OB is by who the Texans select at 1-1.

So much division over who to take, and the diversity between the options, will give insight into how he thinks.
Old 01-15-2014   #1115
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263584 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm already tired of hearing about Opie and want a new head coach.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #1116
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Not "Opie"

It's O-B

Not unlike Obi-Wan
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #1117
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Have a guy in mind, here's his resume (click for larger):

And working with recruits...

And displaying a leader's confidence...
Old 01-15-2014   #1118
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 35494 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Have a guy in mind, here's his resume (click for larger):

And working with recruits...

And displaying a leader's confidence...
As Opie's friend Fonzie would say, "this thread has jumped the shark".
Old 01-15-2014   #1119
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263584 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Wasn't Barnie was running the special teams this year????

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #1120
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wasn't Barnie was running the special teams this year????
I thought that was Goober.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read