Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-10-2014   #301
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

Ryan McCrystal ‏@Ryan_McCrystal
Quote:
I also have concerns about Bortles accuracy. Watch him throw this ball like a dart. Fails to lead open WR

Quote:
Another Bortles gif for you. Underthrowing a wide open receiver

Quote:
Here's Bortles weak arm showcased when defense takes away ability to step into throw. Throw falls short, intercepted

Quote:
Here's a good example of why I'm worried about Bortles' arm. Takes maximum effort just to hit WR on this 16 yard post

Last edited by Playoffs; 01-10-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #302
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I already stated you need that trading partner. As for the rest? Just "rolling the dice" is what gets you Ryan Leaf.
Rolling the dice is also what gets you Peyton Manning.

Because that's all anyone is doing in this business.

You've got to go through your evaluation process and then you've got to trust it. If you don't think a QB in the draft is the best choice for you at 1-1, then you don't make that move just because you think you "have" to.
If the Texans go through their process and they don't think Bridgewater or Bortles is going to be the player that's going to be the most productive for our team, then they shouldn't draft them.

If they think Louis Nix is going to be the most impactful player they could draft, then they should draft him and all the experts be damned.

You find the best player for your team and you roll the dice. If you happen to think that's Ryan Leaf, c'est la vie.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #303
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Bortles has Gabbert, Ponder, and Locker written all over him. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #304
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Been trying to like him but I just can't; all I see is a big guy who is mediocre at everything. His game just isn't fluid in my eyes, and he doesn't make it look easy like I see Manziel and Bridgewater often doing.
matts290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #305
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
What is watchespn and how do I get it
www.watchespn.com

If you have a cable provider just log in and you can search the school name and watch basketball or football games. Also I got to watch MNF at work. Anything on ESPN you can watch it there.
Old 01-11-2014   #306
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90121 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Wow. Didn't see that coming. I think Lewan has the size to pay LT in the pros. 4 year starter at LT for Michigan. And naaaaaaaasty which some people keep yearning for from our players. I think a team will take him in the first round, 1 year on the right, then take over permanently on the left.
Well being plugged into the Michigan program I tend to have heavier feelings toward UM players. I loved Robinson, Graham, and Martin coming out probably more than anyone. I have the opposite feeling toward Lewan. The guy was probably the worst team captain in the history of the football team. He's constantly in trouble and acts like a thug.

He has the size, the mean streak, and is athletic enough to be a successful OT in the NFL. His pass blocking is nothing special, but his run blocking is which is why I lean toward RT for him. Again, I could see him playing LT, but I don't see him as a "franchise" LT.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #307
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182216 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Well being plugged into the Michigan program I tend to have heavier feelings toward UM players. I loved Robinson, Graham, and Martin coming out probably more than anyone. I have the opposite feeling toward Lewan. The guy was probably the worst team captain in the history of the football team. He's constantly in trouble and acts like a thug.

He has the size, the mean streak, and is athletic enough to be a successful OT in the NFL. His pass blocking is nothing special, but his run blocking is which is why I lean toward RT for him. Again, I could see him playing LT, but I don't see him as a "franchise" LT.
If I was going to take a OT I'm not so sure I would take Mathews . I'm thinking Erving and Robinson have brighter futures at OT .
Old 01-11-2014   #308
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90121 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
If I was going to take a OT I'm not so sure I would take Mathews . I'm thinking Erving and Robinson have brighter futures at OT .
Erving is going back to school so he's out. Robinson has the most potential out of him, Mathews, and Lewan. I actually like Richardson more than Lewan.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 01-11-2014   #309
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182216 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Erving is going back to school so he's out. Robinson has the most potential out of him, Mathews, and Lewan. I actually like Richardson more than Lewan.
They were talking about Matthews moving to guard on the radio because he has short arms .
Old 01-11-2014   #310
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
They were talking about Matthews moving to guard on the radio because he has short arms .
I've never thought of Mathews as a "franchise" LT. He's overrated because of his name. I think he will be a solid NFL player, but he's not going to be a perennial All-Pro. JMO.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 01-11-2014   #311
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm no QB expert, but how is his footwork.

Looking at those GIFs not sure he sets his feet and really steps into his throws.
Old 01-12-2014   #312
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
The bolded is why folks might think you're biased...me included. Bridgewater has been rumored to be potentially the top pick..or at least top 5 in the draft for basically 2 years now...& you pretty much go out of your way to discredit him.

Meanwhile, I don't think Bortles was on anyone's radar as potentially the best qb and top pick in the draft until here recently in the last month or so. For your part you admittedly say that Bortles wasn't even on your radar........until he had 1 nice showing against an SEC team.....that wasn't even that nice imo.

Here's another thing. TB & Bortles both played in the AAC. So why is it that people discredit the AAC competition when talking about TB & what he did against them.... but ignore it for the most part when talking about Bortles?
What Bortles' team did this year is what TB team did last year except:

TB's game statistically was better
The team TB faced was better imo
TB looked much more comfortable on the big stage than Bortles did

In all honesty, the only thing that Bortles really has on TB is that he looks more the part than TB. If his arm is stronger, its neglible imo.
"Bridgewater has been rumored to be potentially the top pick..or at least top 5 in the draft for basically 2 years now...& you pretty much go out of your way to discredit him."

Two years ago Teddy was barely average and ordinary as testament to his 64% completion, 14TDs to 12 INTs and a 132 QBR. Two years ago, just about everyone thought Logan Thomas was to be the #1 pick in this draft and was expected to be better than Cam Newton.

"Here's another thing. TB & Bortles both played in the AAC. So why is it that people discredit the AAC competition when talking about TB & what he did against them.... but ignore it for the most part when talking about Bortles?"

Re: the competition, Bortles faced Jadevon Clowney and South Carolina and Penn St. Bridgewater faced Eastern Kentucky and Florida International.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #313
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
"Bridgewater has been rumored to be potentially the top pick..or at least top 5 in the draft for basically 2 years now...& you pretty much go out of your way to discredit him."

Two years ago Teddy was barely average and ordinary as testament to his 64% completion, 14TDs to 12 INTs and a 132 QBR. Two years ago, just about everyone thought Logan Thomas was to be the #1 pick in this draft and was expected to be better than Cam Newton.

"Here's another thing. TB & Bortles both played in the AAC. So why is it that people discredit the AAC competition when talking about TB & what he did against them.... but ignore it for the most part when talking about Bortles?"

Re: the competition, Bortles faced Jadevon Clowney and South Carolina and Penn St. Bridgewater faced Eastern Kentucky and Florida International.
Teddy was a known prospect after his freshman year . The stats you put up for a true freshman are pretty good .
Old 01-12-2014   #314
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Teddy was a known prospect after his freshman year . The stats you put up for a true freshman are pretty good .
They are what you can expect from a freshman, not great but not bad.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #315
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

UCF QB Blake Bortles
Quote:
I view Bortles as a player with lessons to learn, but “unlearning” a lot of bad habits isn’t one of them. He’d fit best on a team with a staff that sports a track record of success developing quarterbacks. It would be even better if he sat behind a veteran sold on aiding Bortles’ long-term development.

If the Central Florida quarterback lands in this type of situation, he has shown enough feel for the game that he can develop into a capable NFL starter. He has the upside to lead a team to the playoffs and carry that team in the fourth quarter of games. Yet, if his development becomes a case of mostly self-directed study, Bortles could create knots in his game that become more difficult to untie later.
Quote:
Bortles isn’t the slam dunk prospect that most think Luck was, but I like his feel for the game.

If I had responsibility picking players for an NFL team, Bortles makes my shortlist of first-round candidates based on what I’ve seen thus far and would remain there at least until I interviewed him. I believe he’s closer to what the Titans are hoping they’ll see consistently from Jake Locker.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #316
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

So I know a lot of people have Bortles pegged as having a very strong arm, but I seem to be missing it. I have watched the majority of his cut ups on draft break down and I am not seeing that he has an exceptionally strong arm, actually appears average to me. Do people see his size and weight and just assume he has a strong arm because of his size?

Take this throw for example against Conneticut, he has a guy open deep and although he threw it far, the ball kinda just hangs up after it finishes arching. He doesn't "put the ball on a rope" and it falls incomplete

http://youtu.be/uCmqzmi9XNU?t=2m45s
matts290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #317
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, just finished watching the last regular season game for UCF and I think I can now give my opinion on Bortles after seeing all his games. First thing that popped out is that Bortles has the ideal height and build for NFL QBs. I noticed he can evade out of the pocket and pick up tough yards. A surprisingly good scrambler and reminded me more of Luck rather than Roethlisberger. He sees the field really well and flows right through his progressions. Accuracy comes and goes but that could be cleaned up with technique improvements. He does a terrific job of keeping his eyes down field and loses almost nothing throwing on the run to his right or left. I don’t think I’ve seen a right-handed quarterback throw better going to his left. The arm strength is there, and he can make NFL caliber throws. When his footwork is precise and he steps into his throws he can look elite which, I think is the main reason scouts are starting to shoot him up on their boards. He’s shown flashes of making “window” throws and touch passes over defenders. His last 4th qtr drive to seal the win AT LOUISVILLE was simply amazing. I was easily reminded of Joe Montana because of how he kept his cool and drove the Knight's 75 yards and the TD to get the win.

I also noticed his weaknesses. His confidence and arm strength are definitely positives, but they also get him into trouble at times. He has a bad habit of leaning back when throwing instead of stepping into his throws. His deep ball is tough to gauge because most of his passes in the UCF offense are short bubble screens, slants and out routes rather than vertical routes. Against South Carolina he was particularly lethal on slant routes and a lot of yards came from receivers running to open space. Also when asked to throw deep he’s had mixed result. There are times he tries to force the ball into tight coverage or loses a defender underneath. While he’s a load to bring down and rarely is handled by a single defender, he could improve on getting the ball out earlier to avoid a collapsing pocket.

In the end, I can see why Bortles is a name to watch throughout the draft process. Like I mentioned he has excellent size, feet, arm strength and has shown he can make all the throws. The test for him, and essentially also the other QBs we are all looking at, will be their decision making. It doesn’t matter how many yards you throw for if you turn it over. Bortles isn’t turnover prone but the interceptions IMO are the only thing holding him back from going first overall. That’s a lofty projection, but all the tools are there.

For me its still Bridgewater.
Old 01-15-2014   #318
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 118233 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
Well, just finished watching the last regular season game for UCF and I think I can now give my opinion on Bortles after seeing all his games. First thing that popped out is that Bortles has the ideal height and build for NFL QBs. I noticed he can evade out of the pocket and pick up tough yards. A surprisingly good scrambler and reminded me more of Luck rather than Roethlisberger. He sees the field really well and flows right through his progressions. Accuracy comes and goes but that could be cleaned up with technique improvements. He does a terrific job of keeping his eyes down field and loses almost nothing throwing on the run to his right or left. I don’t think I’ve seen a right-handed quarterback throw better going to his left. The arm strength is there, and he can make NFL caliber throws. When his footwork is precise and he steps into his throws he can look elite which, I think is the main reason scouts are starting to shoot him up on their boards. He’s shown flashes of making “window” throws and touch passes over defenders. His last 4th qtr drive to seal the win AT LOUISVILLE was simply amazing. I was easily reminded of Joe Montana because of how he kept his cool and drove the Knight's 75 yards and the TD to get the win.

I also noticed his weaknesses. His confidence and arm strength are definitely positives, but they also get him into trouble at times. He has a bad habit of leaning back when throwing instead of stepping into his throws. His deep ball is tough to gauge because most of his passes in the UCF offense are short bubble screens, slants and out routes rather than vertical routes. Against South Carolina he was particularly lethal on slant routes and a lot of yards came from receivers running to open space. Also when asked to throw deep he’s had mixed result. There are times he tries to force the ball into tight coverage or loses a defender underneath. While he’s a load to bring down and rarely is handled by a single defender, he could improve on getting the ball out earlier to avoid a collapsing pocket.

In the end, I can see why Bortles is a name to watch throughout the draft process. Like I mentioned he has excellent size, feet, arm strength and has shown he can make all the throws. The test for him, and essentially also the other QBs we are all looking at, will be their decision making. It doesn’t matter how many yards you throw for if you turn it over. Bortles isn’t turnover prone but the interceptions IMO are the only thing holding him back from going first overall. That’s a lofty projection, but all the tools are there.

For me its still Bridgewater.
Nice job. Appreciate the time and effort, revan.
Old 01-15-2014   #319
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
The problem with the idea that there's no one worth 1-1 is that you've got to take someone. If no one wants to trade with you, then you've either got to give something up to induce someone to take it off your hands or you have to make a decision.

The problem is thinking that 1-1 has to be the best player in the draft and has to be the second coming of Peyton Manning. 1-1 has to be the player you think can make the biggest impact with your team that you're not going to be able to take at your next draft pick.

If a middle linebacker is the guy who's going to make the biggest impact and he's not going to be there at your next pick and no one wants to trade with you, then you take that guy with 1-1. If it's a guard or a safety, then you take that guy.

This whole argument that you don't take rush linebackers or you don't take right tackles doesn't work for me although I know a lot of people ascribe to that philosophy.

You make a decision and you roll the dice. (Assuming, like I said, you can't trade and end up in a better position.)
This is sort of my thought as well as I do not care what other teams think of my pick. The purpose of draft is to build the roster. At each pick, I want the BPA that moves team closer to a Super Bowl. Due to our roster, we have to fill team needs as we see priority. We can tell from comments on this MB in many threads that there is a disagreement over how those needs should be prioritized. On my current non trade mock, I have C J Mosley 1-1. I see him as one of the most NFL ready least risk player available + he fills a priority need.
Old 01-15-2014   #320
revan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Nice job. Appreciate the time and effort, revan.
Thanks buddy, it made my night shift go fast at work. Now time to watch games on prospects for my mock draft.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read