Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-14-2014   #481
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?!

George Blanda??
Old 01-14-2014   #482
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
George Blanda??
Only if we can sign Billy Cannon
Old 01-16-2014   #483
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

What I find most funny is that the Texans brass is pretending that Matt Schaub doesn't even exist. I ALMOST kind of feel bad for the guy.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #484
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
What I find most funny is that the Texans brass is pretending that Matt Schaub doesn't even exist. I ALMOST kind of feel bad for the guy.
Be assured, he dun't. It's just a matter if they absorb his cap hit this year or spread it over the next two.

He's toast.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #485
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 70825 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Be assured, he dun't. It's just a matter if they absorb his cap hit this year or spread it over the next two.

He's toast.
Kinda like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxR7RYuF2fU

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #486
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 24103 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post

LOL
Old 01-16-2014   #487
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
In one of the interviews that OB recently gave (and was posted on the board), he specifically says he's met and talked to both Matt and Case.

I don't see how Matt stays on with the sort of cap hit he's going to entail unless OB thinks he can use him until a better QB prospect becomes available.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #488
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually can see a scenario where we keep Schaub next season if we decide to go with Jadaveon Clowney at 1:1. If Schaub returns to his pre-13 self we have a good shot at playoffs already. If not, we're back selecting top 10 again which isn't all bad. In this scenario I'd hope there was a QB they think highly enough to sit behind Schaub and learn the off field professional aspect of being a pro. As bad as Matt was last year, he could be a good mentor. Cap hit is awful high and I think this scenario is unlikely.

My favorite continues to be Teddy Bridgewater at 1:1 and as our starter. He is professional in his demeanor, he's smart, he loves football, he's highly motivated, and would represent the franchise very well. All this leads me to believe O'Brien, Smith and McNair take him to be our franchise guy.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #489
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't see Schaub on the roster next year with that cap hit. You could fill 2-3 holes with that money in free agency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
Quote:
Kinda like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gGU9wOThmo
LOL
Still more manly than Tom Brady.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #490
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43559 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
I can't see Schaub on the roster next year with that cap hit. You could fill 2-3 holes with that money in free agency.

Still more manly than Tom Brady.
Just to clarify that cutting Schaub will only clear up $4MM in cap space (unless he's a post June 1 cut) due to the dead money his contract carries. It's certainly better than having to take a $14.5MM hit if he stays. If OB wants Schaub to stay and compete for a starting job, then maybe he could be persuaded to take a pay cut. His base in 2014 is $10MM, and if they can negotiate it down to $5-6, it would provide the same cap relief as releasing him.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #491
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I actually can see a scenario where we keep Schaub next season if we decide to go with Jadaveon Clowney at 1:1. If Schaub returns to his pre-13 self we have a good shot at playoffs already. If not, we're back selecting top 10 again which isn't all bad. In this scenario I'd hope there was a QB they think highly enough to sit behind Schaub and learn the off field professional aspect of being a pro. As bad as Matt was last year, he could be a good mentor. Cap hit is awful high and I think this scenario is unlikely.

My favorite continues to be Teddy Bridgewater at 1:1 and as our starter. He is professional in his demeanor, he's smart, he loves football, he's highly motivated, and would represent the franchise very well. All this leads me to believe O'Brien, Smith and McNair take him to be our franchise guy.

I agree with every word and hope you're right OMT.

MSR

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #492
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

First, let me say that I'm warming to the idea of taking a QB with the #1 overall pick. However, I just happen to be lurking in the fan forums of other NFL teams. I happened into GangGreen.com, expecting to see a few generic draft threads. I was totally surprised to see a well developed thread discussing this year's crop of QBs. Why was I surprised?

Because they've already got 2 first round QBs on their roster. I know they're "just fans" & their opinions have little to do with the decisions made by the franchise, but more or less, they're like us. There are a few guys there who know what they're talking about. & just lilke here, the gist of the problems are more or less close enough.

But they're regretting the selection of either 1st round QB.

That's the situation I don't want to be in. Yes, we need a QB. Yes, we need a QB of the future. But there is a very good possibility that, that QB is not in this draft. Just last year, the Jets took the best QB in the draft, & he wasn't the guy (at least many of their fans question that he is).

At the same time, it is interesting most of them acknowledge if Bridgewater, or Clowney were available at their pick, 18th, they wouldn't pass up either.

Edit:Daniel Jeremiah said
Quote:
18. New York Jets
Record: 8-8
Team needs: WR, OG, CB
Analysis: The Jets have a talented defense, but they need a lot of work on the offensive side of the ball. I wouldn't be shocked if they jumped back into the quarterback market this spring.
Old 01-16-2014   #493
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 3484 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ryan Mallett Value?

what would you guys give up for him? his contract is up after next season. any chance brady retires after next year and the pats keep mallett?
id be willing to give up a 3 this year and next years 2. dont think hes worth 2 2's like schaub was, schaub at least played a couple of good games before the trade.

would not give up this years 2 for him. you still get 1st rd value with that pick.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #494
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ryan Mallett Value?

He hasn't played football since 2010. I wouldn't give up anything valuable. Maybe take a flier with a 4th or 5th to kick the tires and see how much rust has built up.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #495
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

It was widely reported last offseason that the Patriots wanted at least a 2nd round pick for Mallett, so I would suspect that is where the bar will be set.

Is he worth the 33rd overall pick? Well that's the $1,000,000 question.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #496
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179775 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Newton
Old 01-16-2014   #497
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 3484 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

ive heard some radio people say he was obriens pick. does rick smith have the balls to say no to this years 2?
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #498
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 57932 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
Just to clarify that cutting Schaub will only clear up $4MM in cap space (unless he's a post June 1 cut) due to the dead money his contract carries. It's certainly better than having to take a $14.5MM hit if he stays. If OB wants Schaub to stay and compete for a starting job, then maybe he could be persuaded to take a pay cut. His base in 2014 is $10MM, and if they can negotiate it down to $5-6, it would provide the same cap relief as releasing him.
He can't do that unless he extends his contract. But we can cut him and then resign him.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #499
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43559 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
He can't do that unless he extends his contract. But we can cut him and then resign him.
Are you saying that's a CBA stipulation? These pay cuts happen all the time - Doug Free took one last year from the Cowboys. I just never knew that it had to be tied to an extension.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #500
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

We are not going to trade anything of value for a guy that has zero experience in a real game.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read