Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-13-2014   #101
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ideal Scenarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Can he do that and do we have the time to wait around for however long that may take to occur - if ever ???

I doubt he makes the 53 man roster in the coming season .... as his most redeeming quality right now is that he costs next to nothing in terms of NFL QB's.
Ideal scenario???

Rob buys a couple bottles of Johnny Blue and we watch the draft!!

We'll either be really happy, or we'll be punching mellon-headed efferz in the head!!
Old 01-13-2014   #102
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

we win more then 5 games !!!! LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #103
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
we win more then 5 games !!!! LOL
10 games...

Too much talent still left on this team.

*EDIT*

That is if a handful of guys can make it thru a season, i.e. Brian Cushing, Arian Foster (because Ben Tate is gone), Johnathan aka JJO, Daniel Manning, Owen Daniel, etc., etc...
Old 01-13-2014   #104
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Ideal scenario???

Rob buys a couple bottles of Johnny Blue and we watch the draft!!

We'll either be really happy, or we'll be punching mellon-headed efferz in the head!!
We better be really happy ... cause my hand is still in bad shape from the last melonhead two surgeries later. I'll hold'em , you do the punching.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #105
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26865 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Nope. Spent too much time watching Dick Sargent and Dick York play opposite Elizabeth Montgomery.

BTW I get angry lot, but am usually over it before I even finish my post. I'm cool if you are.
I'm cool. Thanks. I should not let such things get to me.

btw, it should be spelled like you spelled it...just flows better. As long as Bill or BOB wins, I don't care what you call him!

Old 01-13-2014   #106
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Can he do that and do we have the time to wait around for however long that may take to occur - if ever ???
That is a strange question to write, given the previous posts. My "ideal scenario" lays out a one year evaluation process, comprised of two stages, the first being a film evaluation by our new coaching staff. If the results of this are negative, we draft a QB in this year's draft. If positive, then the evaluation process continues during OTA's, training camp and this next season. At any point if progress proves unsatisfactory, then we start the veteran FA QB we sign. By the end of this next season, one year, the final decision is made whether we need to draft a 1st round QB in the 2015 draft.

This is hardly equivalent to "however long that may take to occur - if ever".

I don't know who "we" are, but yes, O'Brien signed a 5 year contract, so yes he has time to pursue this course of action, if he so chooses.

And it must be taken into account that this course of action is taken to acquire additional draft picks with which to strengthen our team's overall talent, this season. It also must be taken into account that next year's QB talent is considered by many to be superior to this year's QB class.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #107
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
10 games...

*EDIT*

That is if a handful of guys can make it thru a season, i.e. Brian Cushing, Arian Foster (because Ben Tate is gone), Johnathan aka JJO, Daniel Manning, Owen Daniel, etc., etc...
It's not at all uncommon for a team in our situation to rebound the following year with a winning season, given the scheduling. It also is not uncommon for the team to then fall back to the middle of the pack, with the tougher schedule following a winning season. Tampa Bay went 3-13 in '09, 10-6 in '10 and then fell back to 4-12 in '11.
Old 01-13-2014   #108
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
10 games...

*EDIT*

Huh LOL u better get rdy for dis purge I wouldn't be surprised if

Foster GONE

Tate GONE

J JO GONE

MANNING GONE

OD GONE

the only one they may keep his manning but his injury factor could put even him on the hot seat OD is has good has gone
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #109
Number19
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
...OD GONE...OD is has good has gone
I've read O'Brien really likes to use TE's in his offensive scheme. Unless it is absolutely necessary for financial reasons, it's unlikely our best receiving TE will be let loose.
Old 01-14-2014   #110
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
That is a strange question to write, given the previous posts. My "ideal scenario" lays out a one year evaluation process, comprised of two stages, the first being a film evaluation by our new coaching staff. If the results of this are negative, we draft a QB in this year's draft. If positive, then the evaluation process continues during OTA's, training camp and this next season. At any point if progress proves unsatisfactory, then we start the veteran FA QB we sign. By the end of this next season, one year, the final decision is made whether we need to draft a 1st round QB in the 2015 draft.

This is hardly equivalent to "however long that may take to occur - if ever".

I don't know who "we" are, but yes, O'Brien signed a 5 year contract, so yes he has time to pursue this course of action, if he so chooses.

And it must be taken into account that this course of action is taken to acquire additional draft picks with which to strengthen our team's overall talent, this season. It also must be taken into account that next year's QB talent is considered by many to be superior to this year's QB class.
I've seen enough to recognize poor QB play .... The film is there for Obrien & his staff to see , we don't need to piss away this season messing around with Keenum .... Nor do we need to piss away next season waiting for a rookie to develop.
You have the #1 pick and your choice of the top QB prospects , make the right decision now , develop that QB this year and lets start winning some damn football games .... There are at least 10 QB's in this draft I'd rather have than Keenum. (Bridgewater , Bortles , Manziel , Mettenberger , Carr , Murray , McCarron , Brett Smith , Fales , Logan Thomas )

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 01-14-2014   #111
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That is a strange question to write, given the previous posts. My "ideal scenario" lays out a one year evaluation process, comprised of two stages, the first being a film evaluation by our new coaching staff. If the results of this are negative, we draft a QB in this year's draft. If positive, then the evaluation process continues during OTA's, training camp and this next season. At any point if progress proves unsatisfactory, then we start the veteran FA QB we sign. By the end of this next season, one year, the final decision is made whether we need to draft a 1st round QB in the 2015 draft..
If your ideal scenario involves a year long evaluation period then your coach and your scenario suck. Teams like the Browns and Jaguars need a year to evaluate their talent. That is why they are terrible at drafting because the other 30 teams are able to evaluate and extrapolate from college to the NFL. If your coach needs to "evaluate" people already on the team for a year then you will never have any success because you will always figure out that someone can play a year too late.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #112
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
If your ideal scenario involves a year long evaluation period then your coach and your scenario suck. Teams like the Browns and Jaguars need a year to evaluate their talent. That is why they are terrible at drafting because the other 30 teams are able to evaluate and extrapolate from college to the NFL. If your coach needs to "evaluate" people already on the team for a year then you will never have any success because you will always figure out that someone can play a year too late.

Mike
Especially since McNair wants/expects to win NOW.

I see them making big moves via trade for a solid starter now if they don't like any of the QB's in the draft.

Waiting and evaluating is not an option.
Old 01-14-2014   #113
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Re: Ideal Scenarios
Every month or so we need one of the players to get a hot U of H chick pregnant. We can raise our own crop of players that way and have plenty of moralistic threads to participate in.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #114
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post

Mike
Completely agree.
Old 01-14-2014   #115
Number19
All Pro

I will bet a dollar, or a million dollars, the Texan's new coaching staff will be evaluating every player on the squad, between now and the draft. I will also emphatically state that every team - every HC and every GM - evaluates, at the end of a season, every player, and that player's performance over the past season.

Now, for those of you who are having a hard time at reading comprehension, I will state once more, O'Brien will be making his decision on the course of action he will take in the draft, on the evaluation process between now and the draft.

O'Brien's decision will be to determine whether Keenum, or Tate for that matter, is capable of being the starter this next season. This decision will influence our draft. The ongoing evaluation during the season and the evaluation at the conclusion of the season will be to determine if Keenum has met expectations and will determine the need to draft a QB in the 2015 draft.

Let me also explain, there seems to be need for this explanation, that head coaches evaluate and grade each player's performance on Monday, after each Sunday game. So O'Brien's evaluation of Keenum throughout the season is to be expected and is not a knock on his competency or the front office's.
Old 01-14-2014   #116
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Every month or so we need one of the players to get a hot U of H chick pregnant. We can raise our own crop of players that way and have plenty of moralistic threads to participate in.
Now you just quit

quit it right now, Mister...

ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014   #117
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I will bet a dollar, or a million dollars, the Texan's new coaching staff will be evaluating every player on the squad, between now and the draft. I will also emphatically state that every team - every HC and every GM - evaluates, at the end of a season, every player, and that player's performance over the past season.

Now, for those of you who are having a hard time at reading comprehension, I will state once more, O'Brien will be making his decision on the course of action he will take in the draft, on the evaluation process between now and the draft.

O'Brien's decision will be to determine whether Keenum, or Tate for that matter, is capable of being the starter this next season. This decision will influence our draft. The ongoing evaluation during the season and the evaluation at the conclusion of the season will be to determine if Keenum has met expectations and will determine the need to draft a QB in the 2015 draft.

Let me also explain, there seems to be need for this explanation, that head coaches evaluate and grade each player's performance on Monday, after each Sunday game. So O'Brien's evaluation of Keenum throughout the season is to be expected and is not a knock on his competency or the front office's.
Wow, so confrontational for such a non conversation.

Of course he's going to evaluate every player on the roster.

And he will find the ones that we all know already suck.
Old 01-14-2014   #118
Number19
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Wow, so confrontational for such a non conversation.

Of course he's going to evaluate every player on the roster.

And he will find the ones that we all know already suck.
Maybe, that's a matter of opinion. But several posters made some really, really stupid comments misquoting/misunderstanding what I was saying. I normally don't like responding, but I decided to do so this time. In all my posts, I've had two sentences which were slightly confrontational.

Ted Johnson just said on 610 that in his experience playing for and understanding Crennel's defensive scheme, he didn't think the current personnel on the team matched up very well with what the defense required. He felt the defense needed to be addressed through free agency and the draft. The problem of course is that we can't afford to spend a ton of dollars for high priced veterans; and if we draft a QB with 1-1, we don't have enough draft choices to upgrade all our needs.

When asked in this morning's interview about the QB position, O'Brien responded he'd have to evaluate what we already had on the team and evaluate what was available in the draft. Not said, but implied, is that he'd be making his decisions based on his evaluations.

This is precisely what I've been saying in my "ideal scenario", and what a few others were commenting, negatively, against.
Old 01-14-2014   #119
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Quote:
Maybe, that's a matter of opinion. But several posters made some really, really stupid comments misquoting/misunderstanding what I was saying. I normally don't like responding, but I decided to do so this time. In all my posts, I've had two sentences which were slightly confrontational.

Ted Johnson just said on 610 that in his experience playing for and understanding Crennel's defensive scheme, he didn't think the current personnel on the team matched up very well with what the defense required. He felt the defense needed to be addressed through free agency and the draft. The problem of course is that we can't afford to spend a ton of dollars for high priced veterans; and if we draft a QB with 1-1, we don't have enough draft choices to upgrade all our needs.

When asked in this morning's interview about the QB position, O'Brien responded he'd have to evaluate what we already had on the team and evaluate what was available in the draft. Not said, but implied is that he'd be making his decisions based on his evaluations.

This is precisely what I've been saying in my "ideal scenario", and what a few others were commenting, negatively, against.
Man, I'll bet you're the smartest guy in your bathroom mirror.

This is a wish list.

My ideal scenario is that my wife brings home Jennifer Aniston and let's me join them for some bedroom gymnastics!

But, McNair hired O'Brien to win now.

He's not doing that with any of the QB's on this current roster.

May be stupid (in your all knowing eyes), but that's my opinion.
Old 01-14-2014   #120
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:

When asked in this morning's interview about the QB position, O'Brien responded he'd have to evaluate what we already had on the team and evaluate what was available in the draft. Not said, but implied is that he'd be making his decisions based on his evaluations.

No one disagrees with the fact that Obrien will evaluate every player on the roster.

What we disagree with is your ideal scenario of pissing away another year with Keenum.

There are more holes in the roster than there are draft picks , this , despite McNair's belief that it is , isn't a quick fix.

Yes , the defense needs a couple holes filled one way or another. Ninja , Earl Mitchell and Tate being FA's probably the three most obvious.

Drafting a QB early doesn't mean you cant fix the majority of those holes via the draft. Here , let me show you:

Round 1 - Your QB of choice. Pick one , any one.
Round 2 - Trent Murphy. - DE Stanford
Round 3 - JaWuan James - OT Tennessee
Round 4 - Arthur Lynch - TE Georgia
Round 5 - Ryan Carrethers - DT Arkansas State
Round 6 - Andrew Jackson - ILB Western Kentucky
Round 7 - De'Anthony Thomas - RB Oregon

That fills most of the problem positions .... other than maybe OG (Wade Smith??) , OLB and Safety.

I Miss Good Schaub.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read