Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-13-2014   #441
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
The first rule of statistic is that they must be understood to be useful. Statistics are not a substitute for the hard work of evaluation.
The problem with stat geeks though is they figure that numbers tell the whole story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Yeah and when you look at the film, you see TB playing average against the best defenses he faced in his conference, UCF and Houston. He didn't impress me when I saw him against UH.
Teddy has skills, and definitely possesses the work ethic and intelligence from all accounts. I'm concerned that he doesn't have that "IT" factor that's been discussed frequently here. There's only one QB who does, and stats don't normally tell the whole story with "IT" guys. Brady won the Super Bowl with stats that don't rival what he's done in his best years, but he came through when it counts.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #442
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 29405 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
The problem with stat geeks though is they figure that numbers tell the whole story.

Teddy has skills, and definitely possesses the work ethic and intelligence from all accounts. I'm concerned that he doesn't have that "IT" factor that's been discussed frequently here. There's only one QB who does, and stats don't normally tell the whole story with "IT" guys. Brady won the Super Bowl with stats that don't rival what he's done in his best years, but he came through when it counts.
You're not suggesting we take Mr IT factor, Tim Tebow as our veteran QB, are you?
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #443
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25222 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't understand this. The guy had issues in Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay has proven they very well could have been the problem. Josh Freeman is the prototypical size, has an NFL arm, & has shown flashes in the NFL. He is not a headcase, ala VY, or Jamarcus Russell. He does not bring the circus ala TeBow.

& we don't have a starting QB on our 2014 roster.

We're not suggesting Freeman is the future of the Texans, that would be Bridgewater, Bortles, Mettenberger, Boyd, or Thomas.

Freeman would have a one year platform to show the other NFL teams he can be a franchise QB.

Freeman, Keenum, & a rookie will compete for the starting job in camp. If Keenum wins, we cut Freeman. If Freeman wins, we cut Keenum. If the rookie wins, we cut the worst of the lot.

This way we're not handing the starting job, yet again, to someone who hasn't earned it. Our starting QB would be someone who has either won a game in the NFL, or beat out someone who had.
I agree with this. This is the best scenario that could happen. No more giving the starting position due to draft status or because they gave up draft picks for a starting qb.

Let the best man win.
santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #444
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
You're not suggesting we take Mr IT factor, Tim Tebow as our veteran QB, are you?
Tim Tebow and Manziel are nothing alike in my view personallity wise and in their games. To be honest I'm leaning towards Manziel right now. He's the only QB in the 1st round that gives me hope. I'd be OK with Murray in the 2nd or 3rd if we decide to go a different route in the 1st, but would just be blah with Teddy and Bortles in the 1st. I'd be disgusted with Bortles in the first.
Old 01-13-2014   #445
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't understand this. The guy had issues in Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay has proven they very well could have been the problem. Josh Freeman is the prototypical size, has an NFL arm, & has shown flashes in the NFL. He is not a headcase, ala VY, or Jamarcus Russell. He does not bring the circus ala TeBow.

& we don't have a starting QB on our 2014 roster.

We're not suggesting Freeman is the future of the Texans, that would be Bridgewater, Bortles, Mettenberger, Boyd, or Thomas.

Freeman would have a one year platform to show the other NFL teams he can be a franchise QB.

Freeman, Keenum, & a rookie will compete for the starting job in camp. If Keenum wins, we cut Freeman. If Freeman wins, we cut Keenum. If the rookie wins, we cut the worst of the lot.

This way we're not handing the starting job, yet again, to someone who hasn't earned it. Our starting QB would be someone who has either won a game in the NFL, or beat out someone who had.
I have a hard time even considering Freeman because ... he couldn't get it done inTB and he couldn't even get on the field in Minny and their QB situation is arguably just as bad as that of the Texans ....

Give me some other option .... like Dan Orlovsky running out the back of the endzone or something

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #446
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I've been thinking about this data comparison since I saw it yesterday .... It sure paints Bridgewater in a favorable light ..... but it doesn't factor in the level of competition which has to be an issue as it makes projection to playing with the big boys difficult.

While Manziel is putting up video game numbers against the best teams in the country including 562 yards against Bama's defense .... Bridgewater is slugging it out with heavyweights like Floridia International University.
This disparity in strength of opposition makes comparison difficult at best.
Bama also gave up 45 to OU. 30 something to auburn. Against the three best teams they played they went 1-3 and gave up over 30 points all three times and gave up over 40 twice. The sec as a whole gave up a bunch of points this year.

I get the level of competition knocks, but we aren't subtracting what manziel did against rice, or smu or Sam houston or utep. Never mind that some of those lower sec teams weren't that good he played and that he actually struggled against lsu and a little against Missouri. But a lot of these not as talented schools have nfl caliber talent on them. And some of them have really good coaches.

I wouldn't put too much into manziel being in the sec. There's a lot of factors there. I mean, his own defense is in the sec and they were terrible.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #447
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 53129 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
The passing clinic Teddy B put on SAT night was a thing of beauty.

Guess who I want <wink>
Nice article, but perhaps a bit biased?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
Until he throws his 1st pick. Then he's Theodore again.
Who is Alvin and Simon though.. I need to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post
There's much talk that the Bears may franchise Cutty. It makes financial sense for them as the tag is imagined to be in the area of 16.5ish million. That's not too far off from where his annual salary was with the Bears to begin with.

Even so, I've come to the realization that Cutler probably cannot be had for atleast $15 million and that is too steep for my taste.

I guess my quarterback for next year is Bridgewater... I'm scared.

You know, there's nothing stopping us from doing what the Redskins did when they took RGIII and simply draft two quarterbacks in there is another good one sitting there.
Not sure why all the talk about Cutler anymore. He signed a 7 year deal with the Bears on Jan. 2 Did I miss something?

Quote:

Wait... didn't people say Keenum had the "IT" factor? Didn't AJ go so far as to say Keenum had an "aura" about him? Buzz words IMHO, and even if the IT factor is real, you will not know it until the player exhibits in a big game, so I will take the guy who loves football, and is a student of the game because he loves it (Bridgewater), over a guy who thinks he is bigger than the game (Manziel).

I would like to see McCown if they are going to bring in a vet, as he did look spectacular in place of Cutler while he was injured.

"I always said I wanted to play for one team, and to be able to play for the Houston Texans for the rest of my career, it's a tremendous honor." -Andre Johnson
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #448
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Nice article, but perhaps a bit biased?

Who is Alvin and Simon though.. I need to know.

Not sure why all the talk about Cutler anymore. He signed a 7 year deal with the Bears on Jan. 2 Did I miss something?

Wait... didn't people say Keenum had the "IT" factor? Didn't AJ go so far as to say Keenum had an "aura" about him? Buzz words IMHO, and even if the IT factor is real, you will not know it until the player exhibits in a big game, so I will take the guy who loves football, and is a student of the game because he loves it (Bridgewater), over a guy who thinks he is bigger than the game (Manziel).

I would like to see McCown if they are going to bring in a vet, as he did look spectacular in place of Cutler while he was injured.
Is there anyone who has says Manziel isn't a student of the game? Last time I check he went to George Whitfield after his true freshman year when he redshirted because he wanted to win the starting job so bad. He loves to party and that's clear, but I've talked to a few people in the A&M program that will tell you he works his butt off too.
Old 01-13-2014   #449
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is there anyone who has says Manziel isn't a student of the game? Last time I check he went to George Whitfield after his true freshman year when he redshirted because he wanted to win the starting job so bad. He loves to party and that's clear, but I've talked to a few people in the A&M program that will tell you he works his butt off too.
Not going to dispute anything you say here...but I will present another view....

If you are a tech geek and you had a chance to sit down with Steve jobs or if you aspire to be president one day and you got the chance to visit the president for a couple days in the white house...or if you wanted to be an actor and you got a chance to visit Leonardo dicaprio (sp)....or you were an aspiring singer and you got to spend time with Barry Gordy at Motown....would there be anything that would keep you from doing that?

Personally, it'd have to be pretty serious for me to not take advantage of an opportunity to not want to hang out with and maybe learn from someone considered to be among the best in my field.

Manziel and the manning passing camp. You love playing qb...eat, breathe, live football. But you get sick, of drunk, or over sleep, or whatever and miss that chance?

I don't know manziels soul, but surely you can understand why some people would have some questions about him in this area.
Old 01-13-2014   #450
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I have a hard time even considering Freeman because ... he couldn't get it done inTB and he couldn't even get on the field in Minny and their QB situation is arguably just as bad as that of the Texans ....
As I mentioned, the problem in TB could very well have been TB, or the coach they fired. Minnesota fired Frazier, then Tampa Bay hired him.... that's a circle jerk of fck right there. I'd rather bring Freeman here & let our coaches decide before letting the organization that drafted Ponder in the first round make our QB decisions.
Old 01-13-2014   #451
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
Not going to dispute anything you say here...but I will present another view....

If you are a tech geek and you had a chance to sit down with Steve jobs or if you aspire to be president one day and you got the chance to visit the president for a couple days in the white house...or if you wanted to be an actor and you got a chance to visit Leonardo dicaprio (sp)....or you were an aspiring singer and you got to spend time with Barry Gordy at Motown....would there be anything that would keep you from doing that?

Personally, it'd have to be pretty serious for me to not take advantage of an opportunity to not want to hang out with and maybe learn from someone considered to be among the best in my field.

Manziel and the manning passing camp. You love playing qb...eat, breathe, live football. But you get sick, of drunk, or over sleep, or whatever and miss that chance?

I don't know manziels soul, but surely you can understand why some people would have some questions about him in this area.
Maybe he found out Peyton wasn't going to be there.
Old 01-13-2014   #452
_King_
All Pro

Quote:
Quote:
"I enjoyed meeting Johnny. I can remember a 20-year-old Eli [Manning] missing a meeting and catching some flak. We always have counselors who leave early. Johnny was great with the campers for the time he was here. He had to leave early. I wish him the best and I want him to come back as a counselor next year."
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...arterback-camp

For the record, I like manziel. I prefer bridgewater as I think he's the better player, but I do like manziel and I think he can be successful in the nfl on the right team. I think BOB can work with manziel, but I think he's going to lean towards bridgewater.
Old 01-13-2014   #453
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do you have information that is the case or is this a useless maybe game?

Wouldn't that be a better reason than blaming AJ McCarron for a missed meeting?
Old 01-13-2014   #454
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 248016 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The biggest question to me is , who's our QB next year.

So .... who ya got ?!
Game 1 starter could be TJ Yates.

He's tall, supposedly intelligent, average but accurate arm.

TJ ended up in Kubiak's doghouse... maybe he's not be a team player, I don't know... but everyone gets a restart with OB. And he costs 650k next year.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #455
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post

He was wrong there..... No arguing with you there whatsoever. I'd rather have him make a mistake in a meaningless camp than do it when preparing for a game though. There are no stories of partying on Johnny's partying during the season outside of the Scooby Doo outfit. Even then no one still saw him drinking. I said it in another thread that he's the modern day Joe Namath. Either you like it or you don't. I understand the people that don't. But there isn't any evidence that says he's not prepared or parties before its time to play.

Last edited by Texn4life; 01-13-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-13-2014   #456
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Do you have information that is the case or is this a useless maybe game?

Wouldn't that be a better reason than blaming AJ McCarron for a missed meeting?
So it's ok to state as a fact that Manziel doesn't care for his craft, because he didn't want to spend time with Peyton Manning, but it's not ok to say "Maybe" Peyton wasn't even going to be there.

Old 01-13-2014   #457
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brady didn't have the IT factor in college. He had problems just trying to win the starting QB position on his own team.

I just don't buy into "IT".
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #458
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Brady didn't have the IT factor in college. He had problems just trying to win the starting QB position on his own team.

I just don't buy into "IT".
Exactly, how many players, including QB's that suppose to have the "IT" factor become huge busts? You would need more than the 10 fingers and toes you have now to count them all..

If they can play, no matter how big or small or fat or skinny, it will show up on the field...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #459
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Yeah and when you look at the film, you see TB playing average against the best defenses he faced in his conference, UCF and Houston. He didn't impress me when I saw him against UH.
How was he average against UCF?

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #460
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
How was he average against UCF?
Come on, Wovlerine. It isn't hard to figure out. It's commonly thought that if a quarterback goes 29/38 with a 76.3 completion percentage for 341 yards and 2 touchdowns with no interceptions that it is an 'average' outing. In fact, it kind of sucks!

deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read