Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-13-2014   #1001
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Do QBs get hit nearly as much as RBs? There is a reason a GOOD RBs life in the NFL is substantially shorter than a good QBs.
& the size requirement for RB is bigger than NFL. Reggie Bush is 6'0" 205lbs which would not be considered "frail" for a QB. The equivalent would be 6'0" 180.... imagine Jimmy Walker trying to play QB.
Old 01-13-2014   #1002
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 95414 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Can you play nose guard ?
My position was actually RG on offense and RG on defense (Equivalent to RDT today), if that tells you the era when I played. BTW, my number was 13. I also run a 4.3 40. But it's minutes instead of seconds. A slightly different scale.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #1003
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 95414 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Wonder if scouts actually scout the players that are out there already in the limelight? It would seem to be a waste of time, since you can scout them at home on your computer. If I owned a team I would want the scout money I spent to be used to go out and find diamonds in the rough that no one has heard of.
Scouts get the behind the scenes information from discussions with the coaching staff. How is he in the locker room? What are his work habits? Does he have family issues which interfere with focus? Does he have off field issues he has overcome which make his performance even more remarkable?

Has he been in trouble with local law enforcement or is he a loose cannon?

These things don't show up on film.
Old 01-13-2014   #1004
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post

By your definition, yes it is less than ideal. Every team wants that 6-5 230 lb prototype of a qb with a howitzer for an arm...but this is paralysis by analysis.

It's 1 thing to say his mechanics need a little work, its a completely different thing to say that his mechanics are "poor"...i can't agree with you there. When going thru progressions, the head more than anything is what tells you how they're going thru them. Even then you still cant tell sometimes b/c of how routes are stacked...you might have 2-3 guys in the same general area to where he may not have to turn his head much. The feet only really come into play when you're actually getting ready to throw the ball. In that regard, the kid is damn good at that. He almost never throws the ball off balance. So im not sure what you're looking at when you say his footwork is poor.

I also have never agreed with the notion that holding the ball up high in a static position like that is "good mechanics" for throwing a football....It "encourages" good mechanics b/c it helps position the arm to naturally bring the ball over the shoulder and it helps speed up the release, but holding it like that isn't natural in and of itself for throwing a football or any kind ball for that matter. I think that's the reason you dont see more guys in the NFL stick with throwing it like that after they leave college.

Look I'm not denying he's got a list....every kid coming out of college has a list, even the Mannings and Lucks...I just think that you're overplaying your hand a bit. i think his biggest issues are weight and strength which will be easily corrected Once he undertakes and nfl strength and conditioing program. Imo, the hitch you're seeing in his throwing motion is related to his overall strength. It's him "loading up" to generate the power/ velocity he needs to get the ball where it needs to be. Its sort of the same thing you see with young baseball batters when they see a ball they like and try to knock the cover off of it. Instead they either miss the ball completely or foul it off. What's happened is that little extra "umph" they took at the beginning of their swing to generate all that power threw off the timing of their swing. I also think the pro style offense thing is overplayed as well. Mark Sanchez and every other USC qb over the last 8 years played in pro style offense...it means next to nothing on the next level.

Obviously, if BoB thinks any of this stuff is a deal breaker then we'll select another guy...i just think he's the best prospect...
I was a terrible father. My oldest is 6'7", about 300, strong as an ox and has HUGE hands, like 10 1/2 - 11 inches. But he's just a fireman/paramedic because I didn't insist he play QB. His Sargent wants him around because only my son could pick him up with one arm and carry him out of a burning building if required.

Sorry son.
Old 01-13-2014   #1005
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Would you like to provide something tangible to support the 8.5" hands?
I'll let you know right after the Combine. I didn't say he did I only reference items that could drop his draft standing. I also said the same items applied to all other QBs. I think you're being a little sensitive this AM about anyone not writing glowing remarks about your beloved Teddy.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #1006
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I was a terrible father. My oldest is 6'7", about 300, strong as an ox and has HUGE hands, like 10 1/2 - 11 inches. But he's just a fireman/paramedic because I didn't insist he play QB. His Sargent wants him around because only my son could pick him up with one arm and carry him out of a burning building if required.

Sorry son.
Ha, I'm beginning to like your attitude.

BTW, welcome to the board, man.
Old 01-13-2014   #1007
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
We will find out at the combine , they'll measure everything from his hands & feet to the pimples on his ass .... For now , its nothing but rumor , but if true it is another questionmark on an already questionable prospect.
A lot of his question marks are based purely on speculation and nonsense. Someone in a message board says he has small hands and no credible proof and now it's a question mark.

Look if you hate the guy you hate him. Do your thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I'd be interested to see BO'Bs evaluation of our current QBs compared to those on the board. Do any of them have the traits that he looks for, which might not have been fully utilized? Was the concern over what to avoid so pervasive that they were afraid to do what they could? Or did they just lack the skills, either from the start or from diminished ability due to injury?
You don't go 2-14 in the NFL without lacking skills, so yeah, that's probably a safe guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
& the size requirement for RB is bigger than NFL. Reggie Bush is 6'0" 205lbs which would not be considered "frail" for a QB. The equivalent would be 6'0" 180.... imagine Jimmy Walker trying to play QB.
I won't go back and forth with you forever on this, but you simply don't know what you're talking about. Every person with a shred of a science or medical background on this board is proving these things false, but you're just ignoring them.

Maybe I will give you a list of examples of great NFL RBs that played in a more physical time and had similar playing weights?

Walter Peyton - 5'10" , 200 lbs
Curtis Martin - 5'11" , 210
Tony Dorsett - 5'11" , 192
Thurman Thomas - 5'10" , 200
etc. etc. etc.

You know what you can also do? You can find me skinny guys that get hurt.

Then I can find fat guys that get hurt.

Then you can find fat guys that stay healthy.

Then I will say to you what most of the people with science/medical backgrounds on this board have been saying forever...

"Everyone is different".
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #1008
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I'll let you know right after the Combine. I didn't say he did I only reference items that could drop his draft standing. I also said the same items applied to all other QBs. I think you're being a little sensitive this AM about anyone not writing glowing remarks about your beloved Teddy.
lol, you definitely did in another thread. That's where this small hand talk surfaced from. YOU were the origin. It's all good though bro.

Inception. Plant falsehoods into people's minds and keep bringing it up until it becomes a fact in the minds of the weak. You've watched your movies well. The top is still spinning though, probably because TB's massive hands spun the hell out of it.
Old 01-13-2014   #1009
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
lol, you definitely did in another thread. That's where this small hand talk surfaced from. YOU were the origin. It's all good though bro.

Inception. Plant falsehoods into people's minds and keep bringing it up until it becomes a fact in the minds of the weak. You've watched your movies well. The top is still spinning though, probably because TB's massive hands spun the hell out of it.
Please show me that post. I don't remember saying categorically that Teddy did in fact have small hands. Also that is not what I said in the post that you responded to.
Old 01-13-2014   #1010
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I won't go back and forth with you forever on this, but you simply don't know what you're talking about. Every person with a shred of a science or medical background on this board is proving these things false, but you're just ignoring them.

Maybe I will give you a list of examples of great NFL RBs that played in a more physical time and had similar playing weights?

Walter Peyton - 5'10" , 200 lbs
Curtis Martin - 5'11" , 210
Tony Dorsett - 5'11" , 192
Thurman Thomas - 5'10" , 200
etc. etc. etc.
That proves you don't understand the conversation. Shorter, with similar weight to Reggie Bush = bigger than Reggie Bush. Built more robust, thicker, less frail.

Tell you what. Explain why there are weight classes in sports like boxing? Putting a 6'3" 205lb quarterback into the NFL game, where a 6'4" 265lb DE is considered small, is like putting Manny Pacquiao against George Foreman.
Old 01-13-2014   #1011
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yep, it was only a poster here.

Link

Link
Old 01-13-2014   #1012
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post

Link

Link
To me the question of hand size is barely relevant. The real question is, does he lose control of the football with whatever hand size he has?
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #1013
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
To me the question of hand size is barely relevant. The real question is, does he lose control of the football with whatever hand size he has?
Agreed, I was just pointing out that it wasn't a story out of "nowhere".

I remember hearing the same concerns years ago with Ken O'Brien.
Old 01-13-2014   #1014
TexansFTW
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post

Link

Link
Good articles. Here is your smoking gun analysis:

1) The scout said the fact Bridgewater wears a glove on his throwing hand "kind of freaks me out a little bit," since that can be indicative about a quarterback with small hands

2) One scout, Fauria said, believes Bridgewater might have small hands – just because he wears a glove on his throwing hand.

OK, so people that don't know him or have seen his hands are purely speculating based on wearing gloves? Your smoking gun article #2 kind of sounds like it all it did was read article #1 too.

What about the people that know him, coach him, and work with him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
The Skinny On Teddy
By Greg A. Bedard | MMQB.SI
A few NFL scouts have questioned the size of Bridgewater’s hands, which probably isn’t helped by the fact that he wears two gloves. (He’s done it since high school and it’s just a preference.)

“His hands are big enough. He has big hands, huge hands,” Watson said.

All good though people. I will bow out of this pissing contest for now. Feel free to attack me and Teddy B as you see fit.
Old 01-13-2014   #1015
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

No excessive fumbling, no losing of the ball in the midst of a throw...The only reason this is even a "concern" is b/c he wears gloves.....that's it. I'd be lying if i said it didn't bother me a teenie weenie bit, but the combine will sort it out. In the meantime, i'll take the word of his coach over the speculation.

maybe it's not a question of small hands and just a question of sweaty hands like that of
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #1016
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66838 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No excessive fumbling, no losing of the ball in the midst of a throw...The only reason this is even a "concern" is b/c he wears gloves.....that's it. I'd be lying if i said it didn't bother me a teenie weenie bit, but the combine will sort it out. In the meantime, i'll take the word of his coach over the speculation.
Throwing motion not an issue to you?
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #1017
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Good articles. Here is your smoking gun analysis:

1) The scout said the fact Bridgewater wears a glove on his throwing hand "kind of freaks me out a little bit," since that can be indicative about a quarterback with small hands

2) One scout, Fauria said, believes Bridgewater might have small hands – just because he wears a glove on his throwing hand.

OK, so people that don't know him or have seen his hands are purely speculating based on wearing gloves? Your smoking gun article #2 kind of sounds like it all it did was read article #1 too.

What about the people that know him, coach him, and work with him?

A few NFL scouts have questioned the size of Bridgewater’s hands, which probably isn’t helped by the fact that he wears two gloves. (He’s done it since high school and it’s just a preference.)

“His hands are big enough. He has big hands, huge hands,” Watson said.

All good though people. I will bow out of this pissing contest for now. Feel free to attack me and Teddy B as you see fit.
Quote:
"lol, you definitely did in another thread. That's where this small hand talk surfaced from. YOU were the origin. It's all good though bro.
So, in this instance I wasn't the culprit as you implied and accused?
Old 01-13-2014   #1018
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Throwing motion not an issue to you?
No....His arm slot is fine & his release is similar to Cam Newton's imo. The only major difference is he tends to load up when throws instead of just whipping it outta there like he should. He could also stand to relax his shoulders a little bit more too...Too often i see him tensed up as he's throwing...you can't even see his neck. The picture below illustrates what i'm talking about.

Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #1019
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66838 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No....His arm slot is fine & his release is similar to Cam Newton's imo. The only major difference is he tends to load up when throws instead of just whipping it outta there like he should. He could also stand to relax his shoulders a little bit more too...Too often i see him tensed up as he's throwing...you can't even see his neck. The picture below illustrates what i'm talking about.

It has been mentioned that one of the issues some have is that it is inconsistent. Sometimes side-arm, almost never over-the-top in a pure sense as QB's are taught from grade school. Not that it means he cant throw, but just an observation. They said Bagwell had a weird stance too ...

http://thesidelineview.com/scouting-...dy-bridgewater
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #1020
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He also has a little loop in the top of his motion .... like Tebow had but not near as exaggerated. It doesn't go straight back and straight forward , there is a small circular motion in there.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read