Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-11-2014   #41
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 21910 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ideal Scenarios

Ideal scenario..........nfc champ forfeits its superbowl bid vs the texans cause the texans have outscored their opponents 9 million to zero
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #42
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ideal Scenarios
I experience a Super Bowl win before I die?? That's my ideal scenario!!
Old 01-11-2014   #43
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

So many folks complaining about the "official" board and how good this one is. I agree with both but would like to point out this board uses donations to keep "our" board trucking and allowing Hook'em Horns to do what he needs. So put your money where your mouth is (I say pleasantly). Let's prove we enjoy opportunity to come here and do our thing.
Old 01-11-2014   #44
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

I don`t understand the logic of waiting for our QB till next season. I don`t think McNair or O`Brien will be happy with a 3 win season or worse. Yet, if we finish any better, we probably have no chance at a top 3 pick. Now if the QBs in next years draft are as good as the people who want us to wait think are, then we have no real chance to get them.

Of course, we might get one with giving up on basically our whole draft and "overpaying" heavily for him. But even then, there is no guarantee that QB actually lives up to his projected potential.

Now this year we can get the best QB of this class basically for free, because we already own the first pick. Of course, we might get a great offer for that pick, but if we are at all comfortable with any of the QBs available I believe you have to take him - because we might not have a chance to get another top rated QB in the near future.

Ideal scenario? We draft a QB and he fulfills his potential.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #45
acal21
Rookie

Rep Power: 1939 acal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respected

BILL is going to figure out which QB he likes the most in this draft, someone he will be able to work with year 1.. we have the running game to back the QB up with foster healthy (i do believe he will come back healthy)

If there is no clear cut QB BILL likes then I do see us trading back a couple slots and taking a QB there...

And all people are saying that no RBS will go in round 1 so i wouldn't mind taking the best available.. our defense needs some fixing but lets just keep getting explosive on offense
Old 01-11-2014   #46
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ideal scenarios:

1. O'Brien becomes the best HC the Texans ever had.

2. O'Brien can put together the best staff the Texans ever did.

3. O'Brien is the best talent evaluator the Texans ever had he can influence the GM and the scouting department to find him the right guys for the team.

None of us will have anything to worry about; we'll just enjoy watching football.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #47
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

You have it wrong. The logic is not to draft a QB next year; it's whether to trade down from our 1-1 pick, to acquire additional picks to upgrade our overall talent, particularly on defense.

Acquiring our QB next year is only one course of action in the trade down scenario, and is dependent upon two factors; 1) acquiring an additional #1 pick for 2015, to be used with our own #1 pick, to trade up in the 2015 draft; and 2) O'Brien evaluating Keenum and Tate and concluding he can win with one or the other.

Unfortunately, O'Brien will not have the opportunity for on field evaluation, so this decision must be based solely on film study.

There is another branch to the trade down scenario where we might acquire a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round rather than waiting until next year.

The logic of trading down is also dependent upon the coaching staff evaluating our defensive talent and its fit within the new defensive scheme and coming to the conclusion that the best course of action is to upgrade our defensive talent.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #48
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217952 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
One question going around the board is: do we draft a QB with our top pick or do we trade down, picking up a QB lower in the draft, in rounds two or three? I offer the suggestion that we wait until 2015 to pick up our QB of the future. With this as a possibility, here is one "Ideal Scenario".

I don't have the patience to wait another year for a QB when we are in position right now to pick a long term solution at the position nor do I have the patience to move back twice in this draft .... essentially pissing away the season muddling around with Case and Yates @ QB. I want to see a commitment to winning - Not losing.

Coaching changes aside , I think the ideal situation is to move back with Cleveland in exchange for 4 , 25, 69 + a future first or 4 , 25 & 36 in this draft.
You also need one of Clowney or Matthews taken in those first three picks leaving you one of Bortles , Bridgewater & Manziel at the 4th pick - I'd be happy with any of the three ....and would be content with taking the leftovers for the above compensation.

With those other picks , I'd take a TE , DE & RT in no specific order , the order & names would be dependent upon which of the above compensation packages were offered / accepted.

Think of coming out of this draft with one of Bortles , Bridgewater or Manziel and the following in the first three rounds :

25 - Cyrus Kouandjio or Antonio Richardson
33 - Trent Murphy
36 - Jace Amaro
65 - Shane Skov or E.J. Gaines

33 - Trent Murphy
65 - Arthur Lynch
69 - Shane Skov or E.J. Gaines
+ next years #1.

That sure solves a lot of the problems this team has quickly.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #49
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You have it wrong. The logic is not to draft a QB next year; it's whether to trade down from our 1-1 pick, to acquire additional picks to upgrade our overall talent, particularly on defense.

Acquiring our QB next year is only one course of action in the trade down scenario, and is dependent upon two factors; 1) acquiring an additional #1 pick for 2015, to be used with our own #1 pick, to trade up in the 2015 draft; and 2) O'Brien evaluating Keenum and Tate and concluding he can win with one or the other.

Unfortunately, O'Brien will not have the opportunity for on field evaluation, so this decision must be based solely on film study.

There is another branch to the trade down scenario where we might acquire a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round rather than waiting until next year.

The logic of trading down is also dependent upon the coaching staff evaluating our defensive talent and its fit within the new defensive scheme and coming to the conclusion that the best course of action is to upgrade our defensive talent.
Old 01-11-2014   #50
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 299017 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Can we win a couple ****ing games next year? That would be nice.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #51
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 103999 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Yep. The young guns should be able to win without help, right? They can pass the ball, catch the ball, and run away from the sieve which was our oline. I gotcha. No help required.
What a BS argument. The truth is that TJ was 2-3 with a complete team. Case was progressively worse as teams got tape on him.

Did Case do anything to make you believe he is the successor? Seriously?

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #52
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I don't have the patience to wait another year for a QB when we are in position right now to pick a long term solution at the position nor do I have the patience to move back twice in this draft .... essentially pissing away the season muddling around with Case and Yates @ QB. I want to see a commitment to winning - Not losing...
The one trade down is very plausible. I can easily see the staff pursuing this course of action.
Old 01-11-2014   #53
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217952 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Can we win a couple ****ing games next year? That would be nice.
Well , they did win a couple this year ....

(Im with you tho , I would be less than thrilled to piss away another year waiting to pick a QB .... and piss off that year waiting on a rookie QB to figure it out when we can put that behind us .... right now).

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 01-11-2014   #54
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I don't have the patience to wait another year for a QB when we are in position right now to pick a long term solution at the position nor do I have the patience to move back twice in this draft .... essentially pissing away the season muddling around with Case and Yates @ QB. I want to see a commitment to winning - Not losing.

Coaching changes aside , I think the ideal situation is to move back with Cleveland in exchange for 4 , 25, 69 + a future first or 4 , 25 & 36 in this draft.
You also need one of Clowney or Matthews taken in those first three picks leaving you one of Bortles , Bridgewater & Manziel at the 4th pick - I'd be happy with any of the three ....and would be content with taking the leftovers for the above compensation.

With those other picks , I'd take a TE , DE & RT in no specific order , the order & names would be dependent upon which of the above compensation packages were offered / accepted.

Think of coming out of this draft with one of Bortles , Bridgewater or Manziel and the following in the first three rounds :

33 - Trent Murphy
36 - Jace Amaro
65 - Shane Skov or E.J. Gaines

33 - Trent Murphy
65 - Arthur Lynch
69 - Shane Skov or E.J. Gaines
+ next years #1.

That sure solves a lot of the problems this team has quickly.

It's like you are stealing my board. Great picks!!!!
Old 01-11-2014   #55
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16557 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

-Stock pile picks

-Purge half the roster and all these scrub PLAYERS

-Get your QB of the future in 2015

- Keep Matt schaub and have a open competition with your 4th round QB pick ....... then name matt the starter Week 1 :P

/ thread

that's what I would do
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #56
Number19
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
...Did Case do anything to make you believe he is the successor? Seriously?
This is the wrong question. The question should be: what are the realistic expectations for next season and can Case achieve this degree of success in the short term?

Evaluating only his college film, how does he compare to this year's QB's?

My understanding is that the big negative on Case is that he didn't work from under center and worked from the spread offense. But this is exactly where the pro game seems to be moving toward. His size was also questioned and his arm strength was questioned. But my understanding is that he was one of the QB's brought in early at Indy to throw to the receivers and had a tired arm when it came time for his own evaluation.

If we can acquire additional picks in 2015, then O'Brien could have all of next year for making a final decision on what level of success Case might eventually acquire. But I do think it probable that O'Brien will want to take a QB in this year's draft.

I'm with 76Texan in that this coming season is going to be interesting.
Old 01-11-2014   #57
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I don't agree with 76 when it comes to Keenum , he still believes in him , I think the experiment is over tho I would consider keeping him around as a backup , nothing more.

The most telling thing to me is that the more he played , the worse he got as defenses figured out how to make him uncomfortable and ineffective.
He started off pretty good , made some big plays along the way but was incapable of sustaining or finishing drives.

Would have been a great story , but there is no storybook ending for this one ....

Cut Schaub , draft a rookie , sign a cheap free agent .... let those two fight it out with Keenum & Yates.

Yeah , it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 01-11-2014   #58
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16557 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

next year im just hoping for a 7-9 season if we get any higher I would be SHocked ....
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #59
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
next year im just hoping for a 7-9 season if we get any higher I would be SHocked ....
This team has a lot of talent ... if they get the right guy at QB , Cushing & Foster regain their form and they stay injury free .... they could really surprise us and maybe make the playoffs.
This division isn't particularly good .... Even the Dolts have issues , Luck doesn't look like the world beater he was hyped to be despite the fact that they are in the playoffs and won last week ....

The fortunes of this team all come down to the QB position .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
It's like you are stealing my board. Great picks!!!!
I was peeking at your draft notes ....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 01-11-2014   #60
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 103999 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is the wrong question. The question should be: what are the realistic expectations for next season and can Case achieve this degree of success in the short term?

Evaluating only his college film, how does he compare to this year's QB's?

My understanding is that the big negative on Case is that he didn't work from under center and worked from the spread offense. But this is exactly where the pro game seems to be moving toward. His size was also questioned and his arm strength was questioned. But my understanding is that he was one of the QB's brought in early at Indy to throw to the receivers and had a tired arm when it came time for his own evaluation.

If we can acquire additional picks in 2015, then O'Brien could have all of next year for making a final decision on what level of success Case might eventually acquire. But I do think it probable that O'Brien will want to take a QB in this year's draft.

Evaluate only his college film? Why go to the college tape? Why not just evaluate all of the QB's by their pop warner film? You have pro film on Case. He has a decent arm but is terrible when blitzed (he tends not to make the right reads). To say he didn't have any weapons is inaccurate. There was enough talent around him for him to throw for 7 TDs 0 INTs while completing 55% of his passes for 772 yards in his first three games against KC, IND and ARI (two pretty good defenses).

After that Jax 2 times, NE, OAK and IND held him to 2 TDs, 6 INTs and he only got over 55% completion ratio once. Once teams got film on him he was terrible. If you need more evidence, in the second half of those first three games he threw one TD (to AJ) in the second half.

I'm not going to tell you that he can't be a decent QB but he isn't a franchise QB. Simply put, in today's NFL I want more development from my QB than I have had from Case in 2 years.

Sure I don't want to spend resources on a QB if there isn't one available and I am a big proponent of trading back but you have to at least try to address the QB position this season. I wanted to see what Case could do last year and even if your goal isn't the playoffs this year, the moment a QB self eliminates himself from the future you should be taking a flyer on another QB instead of wasting resources on a guy that has shown he isn't the guy. Take a guy in the 3rd or 4th, I don't care, but don't limp out there with a guy that isn't good enough to be a stop gap and most likely peaked in his first 3 games in the NFL.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read