Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-11-2014   #21
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ideal Scenarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Fair answer and in agreement with many. But what are your expectations, under this scenario, for the defense. You do agree that to be contenders we do need a fairly good defense? We have one, maybe two holes to address on offense, which you've addressed. But we have as many as 6 or 8 holes to address on defense. What's your answer to this?
I'm not Allstar but...

Our defense was not that bad except in terms of forcing turnovers and performing in the red zone. So I'm not buying that it needs that many "fixes" despite what a lot of people may think.

We can go with KJ, JJo, Danieal, and Swearinger and hopefully bring along some young talent. Hopefully, a change in scheme will make some of the depth guys better or we'll have to get some more depth guys (Harris, Keo, Buoye, Pleasant, etc.)

Our outside guys are not great. Hopefully, we can nab someone like a Worilds in free agency, draft a guy to replace Reed or Mercilus, OR one of those guys (including Trevardo Williams) develops.

Our inside backers... well... see... we've got Cushing and then we've got depth. We need another starter there, afaic.

We need a big guy in the middle and we may need to swap out our current crop of DEs for two gappers.

But the responsibilities of the front 7 might change dramatically. Yes, Crennel has been known to favor a more classic 3-4 but he's also implemented a 4-3. I have a feeling he's going to take a look at the personnel we have, see how many picks he can get, ask for a FA or two, and then implement some sort of hybrid to take advantage of everyone's strengths.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #22
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
Ideal scenario- we will never see anything Denver related in Houston ever again!!! Can I get a high five?!
Now we will see all the patriots left overs instead. oh yippy
Old 01-11-2014   #23
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 25944 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm not Allstar but...

Our defense was not that bad except in terms of forcing turnovers and performing in the red zone. So I'm not buying that it needs that many "fixes" despite what a lot of people may think.

We can go with KJ, JJo, Danieal, and Swearinger and hopefully bring along some young talent. Hopefully, a change in scheme will make some of the depth guys better or we'll have to get some more depth guys (Harris, Keo, Buoye, Pleasant, etc.)

Our outside guys are not great. Hopefully, we can nab someone like a Worilds in free agency, draft a guy to replace Reed or Mercilus, OR one of those guys (including Trevardo Williams) develops.

Our inside backers... well... see... we've got Cushing and then we've got depth. We need another starter there, afaic.

We need a big guy in the middle and we may need to swap out our current crop of DEs for two gappers.

But the responsibilities of the front 7 might change dramatically. Yes, Crennel has been known to favor a more classic 3-4 but he's also implemented a 4-3. I have a feeling he's going to take a look at the personnel we have, see how many picks he can get, ask for a FA or two, and then implement some sort of hybrid to take advantage of everyone's strengths.
I'm not quite as satisfied with our defensive backs. I saw too many deep balls being given up. But I do agree that fixing our pass rush may help alleviate this problem. And maybe new coaching might help the cover skills.

I agree that the players named form a good core to bring back. I still think we need at least one safety and one CB.

We need an OLB and an ILB. Maybe Reed moves inside.

And I agree, the big hole we need to address is the big guy in the middle of the DL.

But I think you overlooked replacing Antonio Smith. Do you expect him back? Maybe Crick replaces him, but I think we still need another player here.

So I've got six holes that need addressing, at a minimum. Some of these may be addressed in free agency, as you say. I don't think we are that much in disagreement.

It's just that I'd address these with quality draft picks. By that, I mean taken in the first three rounds. Maybe the forth. But this is more holes than we have picks to fill.

So when you write, "... I have a feeling he's going to take a look at the personnel we have, see how many picks he can get, ask for a FA or two, and then implement some sort of hybrid to take advantage of everyone's strengths...", I'm in total agreement.

I'm just thinking that two quality draft picks doesn't do it.
Number19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #24
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 76308 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not directed at you, but as a springboard:

Can we please eliminate all the Bob stuff? It's confusing having it all over the MB about both the coach and owner with umpteen different spellings to boot.

To illustrate - BoB FYI was steelb's slam at McNair for being cheap.
sounds like the "official" boards with all these bs rules.
Old 01-11-2014   #25
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 130706 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Compare this place to the other board?

You frikkin kidding me?
Old 01-11-2014   #26
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 130706 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not quite as satisfied with our defensive backs. I saw too many deep balls being given up. But I do agree that fixing our pass rush may help alleviate this problem. And maybe new coaching might help the cover skills.

I agree that the players named form a good core to bring back. I still think we need at least one safety and one CB.

We need an OLB and an ILB. Maybe Reed moves inside.

And I agree, the big hole we need to address is the big guy in the middle of the DL.

But I think you overlooked replacing Antonio Smith. Do you expect him back? Maybe Crick replaces him, but I think we still need another player here.

So I've got six holes that need addressing, at a minimum. Some of these may be addressed in free agency, as you say. I don't think we are that much in disagreement.

It's just that I'd address these with quality draft picks. By that, I mean taken in the first three rounds. Maybe the forth. But this is more holes than we have picks to fill.

So when you write, "... I have a feeling he's going to take a look at the personnel we have, see how many picks he can get, ask for a FA or two, and then implement some sort of hybrid to take advantage of everyone's strengths...", I'm in total agreement.

I'm just thinking that two quality draft picks doesn't do it.
The DB's will do a lot better when they're not asked to play man every down.

Last edited by DBCooper; 01-11-2014 at 08:43 PM.
DBCooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #27
amazing80
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 76308 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Compare this place to the other board?

You frikkin kidding me?
Well complaining about a nickname for someone is kinda stupid. If you don't like it cool, but don't try to enforce or push users into calling people something else. BOB is OBriens name even on the Penn St forums, so its not that big a deal.
Old 01-11-2014   #28
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
The DB's will do a lot better when they're not asked to plan man every down.
I agree, although I still worry some about deep safety help.
Old 01-11-2014   #29
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Quote:
Well complaining about a nickname for someone is kinda stupid. If you don't like it cool, but don't try to enforce or push users into calling people something else. BOB is OBriens name even on the Penn St forums, so its not that big a deal.
He asked, not threatened.

Show respect or don't or you can be an a$$hole about it.

I don't like it either, confuses the $hit out of me because we have been calling McNair (BoB) for years.
Old 01-11-2014   #30
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
He asked, not threatened.

Show respect or don't or you can be an a$$hole about it.

I don't like it either, confuses the $hit out of me because we have been calling McNair (BoB) for years.
Well you know what they say about a-holes. You need em' around to keep **** flowing
Old 01-11-2014   #31
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Quote:
Well you know what they say about a-holes. You need em' around to keep **** flowing
Yep, that's one thing they say.................
Old 01-11-2014   #32
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What offical board?
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #33
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 36695 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I wasn't given a choice after the Mods went on a hissy fit.
I got banned for quoting a moderator's post and then using his favorite words "Don't discuss non-Texans in the Bullpen." He discusses non-Texan in the Bullpen, but I was banned for "moderator abuse" for saying what he said every day. LOL. This board is 100x better.
Old 01-11-2014   #34
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 25944 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Basically, what I'm reading, between the off topic comments, is that we bring in new coaches and a new defense.

Defensively, we bring in a quality FA, and several lower cost FA's. Then maybe take the big guy in a later round, maybe the 4th or 5th. And we address two defensive spots in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

We draft a QB with 1-1.

We go with our current offensive linemen and maybe bring in an affordable FA or two.
Old 01-11-2014   #35
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Agree.

O'Brien's nickname has been OB (O'Bie) or Billy. OB is shortest/easiest for me.
But OB is too easily confused with QB.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #36
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not directed at you, but as a springboard:

Can we please eliminate all the Bob stuff? It's confusing having it all over the MB about both the coach and owner with umpteen different spellings to boot.

To illustrate - BoB FYI was steelb's slam at McNair for being cheap.
Meh, I prefer ByOB!!
Old 01-11-2014   #37
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I got banned for quoting a moderator's post and then using his favorite words "Don't discuss non-Texans in the Bullpen." He discusses non-Texan in the Bullpen, but I was banned for "moderator abuse" for saying what he said every day. LOL. This board is 100x better.
I, among many others, am a refugee from that board, where the troll-like moderators shut down my IP address so that I can't even read the posts without using an alternate internet provider.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #38
Number19
All Pro

Moderator, how about dividing this thread into two separate threads.
Old 01-11-2014   #39
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Quote:
Moderator, how about dividing this thread into two separate threads.
Lol

Thread drift is unavoidable.

Ideal Scenario:

We get a stud QB and win the Super Bowl over the Dallas Cowboys!
Old 01-11-2014   #40
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ideal scenario we have 7 picks, they all become probowlers as rookies, go undefeated, win the Super Bowl and in his downtime JJ Watt finds the cure for cancer.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read