Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-04-2014   #41
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Titans Fire Munchak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
This is not a good season to be waiting to fire your coach a good week after the regular season has ended.

Does that make 7 firings already?? Those other 6 teams have gotten a good week head start on the Titans in their coach search and the 2 best candidates are already off the board.
They might wait until the playoffs are over to interview some of those guys who aren't available just yet. Like a Whisenhut or anybody on Seattles staff.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #42
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Titans reportedly ready to make major changes in coaching and personnel"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Kubes to TENN !!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Please make it happen!!
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #43
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109428 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
This is not a good season to be waiting to fire your coach a good week after the regular season has ended.

Does that make 7 firings already?? Those other 6 teams have gotten a good week head start on the Titans in their coach search and the 2 best candidates are already off the board.

Gary Kubiak anyone?
It's not that big a head start. I suspect the Titans will lean towards a Zimmer, Gase or Quinn.

Doubt they will dip into the college ranks...

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #44
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I see Munchak joining Fisher in St Louis. Matthews probably goes with him.
Old 01-05-2014   #45
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I see Munchak joining Fisher in St Louis. Matthews probably goes with him.
Good call, either Bruce or Jake, hell maybe both

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #46
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Good call, either Bruce or Jake, hell maybe both
I could see that as well. Good move for both and I would root for them. I think that Munchack was somewhat impressive as a HC considering the team he coached for and who they had.
Old 01-05-2014   #47
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Kudos to Munchak for telling Tommy Smith to shove it when told he had to fire Bruce Matthews et al to keep his job.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #48
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Kudos to Munchak for telling Tommy Smith to shove it when told he had to fire Bruce Matthews et al to keep his job.
Well I don't know that I would give him kudos for that. I love Mathews myself, but that is the same thing many of us bashed Kubiak and Mack Brown for. Loyalty to their staff to a fault. I'm not saying this was the case as I wasn't informed enough about the situation, but I hate coaches that refuse to get rid of a weakness on their staff. With a guy like Mathews and Munchack though, those two are probably going to be forever attached to the hip. Playing aside one another as long as they have and being as successful as they both were together, you can't break that bond. They're going to stand side by side as coaches until the other gets that big job offer he really needs that is a clear upgrade.
Old 01-05-2014   #49
YeaLikeRightNow
Veteran

Rep Power: 651 YeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Well I don't know that I would give him kudos for that. I love Mathews myself, but that is the same thing many of us bashed Kubiak and Mack Brown for. Loyalty to their staff to a fault. I'm not saying this was the case as I wasn't informed enough about the situation, but I hate coaches that refuse to get rid of a weakness on their staff. With a guy like Mathews and Munchack though, those two are probably going to be forever attached to the hip. Playing aside one another as long as they have and being as successful as they both were together, you can't break that bond. They're going to stand side by side as coaches until the other gets that big job offer he really needs that is a clear upgrade.

True...but I wonder what Kubes would have done given the option "with conditions"?

YeaLikeRightNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #50
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With a guy like Mathews and Munchack though, those two are probably going to be forever attached to the hip. Playing aside one another as long as they have and being as successful as they both were together, you can't break that bond. They're going to stand side by side as coaches until the other gets that big job offer he really needs that is a clear upgrade.
Munchak was offered an extension at double his salary if he allowed Tommy Smith to micro-manage his staff. All Munch had to do was fire 12 guys. I promise you the Titans downfall wasn't on Matthews.

Sometimes you stand up for what's right. Just because some fan thinks you're wrong doesn't make it so. Munch decided he didn't want to wear a skirt in Nashville. Good for him, IMO. His integrity was not for sale.
Old 01-05-2014   #51
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64147 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Titans reportedly ready to make major changes in coaching and personnel"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I'll take Munch as an OL coach right now .
Rather have Matthews, and let him coach up his kid.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #52
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109600 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Munchak was offered an extension at double his salary if he allowed Tommy Smith to micro-manage his staff. All Munch had to do was fire 12 guys. I promise you the Titans downfall wasn't on Matthews.

Sometimes you stand up for what's right. Just because some fan thinks you're wrong doesn't make it so. Munch decided he didn't want to wear a skirt in Nashville. Good for him, IMO. His integrity was not for sale.
LOL .. this guy wants to manage a NFL staff?? He looks like the love child of Bud and Jabba the Hut ...

Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #53
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah, Pete Carrol fired his OC, a good friend, mid-season. Sometimes you have to make tough choices. This isn't high school.

Having said that, it sounds like the titans were essentially taking away his power. Replacing that many assistants is a big deal. Better to part ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014   #54
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeaLikeRightNow View Post
True...but I wonder what Kubes would have done given the option "with conditions"?

Hire Wade Phillips.
Old 01-06-2014   #55
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 181446 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Munchak needs to get it over with and sign as the new HC at Penn State.
Old 01-06-2014   #56
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

There's NFL interest in Munch. He did a credible job with messed up QB situation. Smart to get out of the mess that's Possum Holler.
Old 01-07-2014   #57
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 8553 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There's NFL interest in Munch. He did a credible job with messed up QB situation. Smart to get out of the mess that's Possum Holler.

As what an oline coach? Because if any gm is interested in him as a hc they should be fired immediately.

Sent from the future...
BigBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #58
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

MMQB.SI: The Conscience -- More Than Wins and Losses

Quote:
In a world where coaching carousel news comes and goes as nothing more than mere fodder for the masses, Mike Munchak's firing was a stark reminder that the people on the sidelines are, you know, people too

Mike Munchakís name made the scrawl the other day, but somehow that didnít quite capture the whole story behind his departure from the Tennessee Titans organization after 31 years. The club dutifully thanked him for his many years of service, and to that Iíd like to add a simple thanks for the reminder.

The firings and hirings of coaches just keep coming in mind-numbing repetition at this time every year, scrawling along the bottom of our TV screens and re-making the composition of the headset crowd that will assume command of the sidelines later this year. But Munchakís exit from Tennessee after three seasons as the Titansí head coach was that rare instance when we get to pause and see people, not just moves, forcing us to realize those non-stop comings and goings are more than just transactions to be reported, digested and analyzed for impact.

Those all-important wins and losses that we live and die with every week in the NFL, the ones decided so often on a razorís edge, they really do affect a lot of lives, a lot of families and friends and some relationships that were years and years in the making. Munchak moving on from the Titans on the surface looked like the familiar tale of not enough wins and some contract terms to be paid off.

But the way he left Tennessee made it far more real than that to the rest of us, and we owe him one for that...
Old 01-22-2014   #59
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
Quote:
Mike Munchak still deciding between offers from Texans and Steelers; would be pretty surprised if he did not end up with the black and gold
Old 01-22-2014   #60
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hearing on Facebook that Munchak has signed with Steelers...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read