Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-11-2014   #421
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Interesting info.... but of those 20+ data points, I wonder how many are "tainted" with YAC yds...

oh and I like the Blitz/no-blitz data....
I would think that the chart is referring to yards traveled through the air, or else the "screens" row wouldn't really make sense.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #422
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Interesting info.... but of those 20+ data points, I wonder how many are "tainted" with YAC yds...

oh and I like the Blitz/no-blitz data....
Obsi,

Allstar addresses that. YAC isn't in play. These stats are ball in air.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #423
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
I would think that the chart is referring to yards traveled through the air, or else the "screens" row wouldn't really make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Obsi,

Allstar addresses that. YAC isn't in play. These stats are ball in air.
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure one way or the other.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #424
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyAF View Post
It's interesting to see how they fair when you remove the easy screen passes. Bridgewater's 78% completion percentage comes from picking apart defenses in the 1-20 yard range where you need to read coverage and understand complex route systems. 6-15 yard passes are the bread and butter of NFL offenses and that's where he's at his best. Those are the routes defenses can't take away without risking the deep ball.

The blitz beater numbers are also a huge plus. If he gets protected, defenses are going to be punished for sending more rushers. That's a great catch-22 to throw at them. If you sit back, he picks apart your coverage in intermediate routes, and if you blitz he makes you pay.

On the flip side, this chart reinforces the concerns with Carr and his ability to handle pressure.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #425
Steal Your Face
Rookie

Section: 119
Rep Power: 858 Steal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
If we were to take a vet QB we can trade back from the #1 gaining #4,#26 & #36 in addition to #33, allowing the Browns our #1 and guaranteeing them teddy by jumping in front of the Jags.

Take a vet, improve the OL get a QB a little later on, and spend 2 high picks to improve the D.

This takes the pressure off our rookie QB to start before he's ready and allows us o improve immensely across the team.

Now, we only do this if the new coaching staff don't think Teddy is the guaranteed franchise QB for the next 15 years.

The guy who suggested Orton earlier, I wouldn't be against that, I think if you have the guy of the future in the draft, but he isn't ready to start, Orton is the type of guy who can game manage, take the pressure off the rookie, and most importanly, give some cap relief compared to say cutler so we can go out and get a couple of mid-level FAs to further improve.

I see this as a plan that guarantees the ability to get to a ~.500 record at the least (decent coaching dependant) and possibly get straight back into the playoffs.
How is Kyle Orton better than Schaub?
Steal Your Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #426
Steal Your Face
Rookie

Section: 119
Rep Power: 858 Steal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Freeman intrigues me. He had a good year, then something went wrong. I wonder if it was coaching. But I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. This really isn't the time to start taking chances on guys, and that includes Cutler, who has reached his ceiling and is only going to go downhill.

We'll take Teddy with the first pick and let Obie mold him. I would rather go Clowney first and get a QB in the second round, but I think QB need is exaggerated this year because of the dumpster fire rotation of Schaub and Keenum.
How is taking a chance on Freeman any different than taking a chance on Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel? I bet we could get him on a contract that eliminated long term risk so if it's not working out we could just cut him. At least Freeman has shown he can do it in the NFL.
Steal Your Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #427
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steal Your Face View Post
How is taking a chance on Freeman any different than taking a chance on Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel? I bet we could get him on a contract that eliminated long term risk so if it's not working out we could just cut him. At least Freeman has shown he can do it in the NFL.
Is this a serious post? Dear God.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #428
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 169136 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's time you got off the Internet and took a nap. You are obviously exhausted.

I'd never thought I'd say I'll take another year of Keenum but I'd gladly take that over the train wreck that has become Josh Freeman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #429
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
It's time you got off the Internet and took a nap. You are obviously exhausted.

I'd never thought I'd say I'll take another year of Keenum but I'd gladly take that over the train wreck that has become Josh Freeman.
All I can tell you is brace yourself. Its going to be a long offseason.

Vick, Freeman, VY....... hell, even Grossman may get some run on this board at some point in the offseason.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #430
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 40896 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Vick, Freeman, VY
I don't even know which of those I like the least
Old 01-13-2014   #431
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyAF View Post
I've been thinking about this data comparison since I saw it yesterday .... It sure paints Bridgewater in a favorable light ..... but it doesn't factor in the level of competition which has to be an issue as it makes projection to playing with the big boys difficult.

While Manziel is putting up video game numbers against the best teams in the country including 562 yards against Bama's defense .... Bridgewater is slugging it out with heavyweights like Floridia International University.
This disparity in strength of opposition makes comparison difficult at best.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #432
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I've been thinking about this data comparison since I saw it yesterday .... It sure paints Bridgewater in a favorable light ..... but it doesn't factor in the level of competition which has to be an issue as it makes projection to playing with the big boys difficult.

While Manziel is putting up video game numbers against the best teams in the country including 562 yards against Bama's defense .... Bridgewater is slugging it out with heavyweights like Floridia International University.
I'm with you on this and will expand on it a little more. What happens when a QB is pressured constantly and the correct pass is to throw it away? What about dropped passes? What about receivers who were hurt during the year? Easy wide open receivers or fitting it into tight spaces constantly? Stat nerds love this kind of stuff, but I'd rather just turn on the film to evaluate a QB effectively.
Old 01-13-2014   #433
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
How is Kyle Orton better than Schaub?
He doesn't have a $14.5M cap number for one.
Old 01-13-2014   #434
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
I don't understand this. The guy had issues in Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay has proven they very well could have been the problem. Josh Freeman is the prototypical size, has an NFL arm, & has shown flashes in the NFL. He is not a headcase, ala VY, or Jamarcus Russell. He does not bring the circus ala TeBow.

& we don't have a starting QB on our 2014 roster.

We're not suggesting Freeman is the future of the Texans, that would be Bridgewater, Bortles, Mettenberger, Boyd, or Thomas.

Freeman would have a one year platform to show the other NFL teams he can be a franchise QB.

Freeman, Keenum, & a rookie will compete for the starting job in camp. If Keenum wins, we cut Freeman. If Freeman wins, we cut Keenum. If the rookie wins, we cut the worst of the lot.

This way we're not handing the starting job, yet again, to someone who hasn't earned it. Our starting QB would be someone who has either won a game in the NFL, or beat out someone who had.
Old 01-13-2014   #435
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
A&M set records for offensive production in the SEC. Supposedly the best collective of defenses in college football.
Old 01-13-2014   #436
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 84406 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm with you on this and will expand on it a little more. What happens when a QB is pressured constantly and the correct pass is to throw it away? What about dropped passes? What about receivers who were hurt during the year? Easy wide open receivers or fitting it into tight spaces constantly? Stat nerds love this kind of stuff, but I'd rather just turn on the film to evaluate a QB effectively.
The first rule of statistic is that they must be understood to be useful. Statistics are not a substitute for the hard work of evaluation.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #437
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Yeah and when you look at the film, you see TB playing average against the best defenses he faced in his conference, UCF and Houston. He didn't impress me when I saw him against UH.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #438
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rick has a propensity to sign bad QB's to 5 yr $64 mill deals, so I could see Rick taking a chance on Freeman. (Sarcasm////)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #439
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 123205 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Rick has a propensity to sign bad QB's to 5 yr $64 mill deals, so I could see Rick taking a chance on Freeman. (Sarcasm////)
Only if they're injured
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #440
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
The first rule of statistic is that they must be understood to be useful. Statistics are not a substitute for the hard work of evaluation.
The problem with stat geeks though is they figure that numbers tell the whole story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Yeah and when you look at the film, you see TB playing average against the best defenses he faced in his conference, UCF and Houston. He didn't impress me when I saw him against UH.
Teddy has skills, and definitely possesses the work ethic and intelligence from all accounts. I'm concerned that he doesn't have that "IT" factor that's been discussed frequently here. There's only one QB who does, and stats don't normally tell the whole story with "IT" guys. Brady won the Super Bowl with stats that don't rival what he's done in his best years, but he came through when it counts.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read