Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-11-2014   #401
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs

George Godsey -- OC(?)
??? -- OL
Stan Hixon -- WRs
Charles London -- RBs

Romeo Crennel -- DC
Mike Vrabel -- LBs
Anthony Midget -- Safties(?)
John Butler -- CBs(?)

Bill Kollar -- DL

Craig Fitzgerald -- Strength & Conditioning
Jim Bernhardt -- QC
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #402
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 103549 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
George Godsey -- OC(?)
??? -- OL
Stan Hixon -- WRs
Charles London -- RBs

Romeo Crennel -- DC
Mike Vrabel -- LBs
John Butler -- CBs(?)

Bill Kollar -- DL

Jim Bernhardt -- QC
add a big ? for special teams too
Old 01-11-2014   #403
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
George Godsey -- OC(?)
??? -- OL
Stan Hixon -- WRs
Charles London -- RBs

Romeo Crennel -- DC
Mike Vrabel -- LBs
John Butler -- CBs(?)

Bill Kollar -- DL

Jim Bernhardt -- QC
Should be question marks behind Crennel.

Edit: NVM, I just heard.
Old 01-11-2014   #404
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm normally a sun-shiner and by the time the draft rolls around, I'm sure I'll be looking for the bright side of everything.

But.

The Miami Dolphins went 1-15 and then the next year (playing a last place schedule), they went 11-5 and went to the playoffs. And a couple more years of <50% winning after that and the coach was fired and they were trying again.

The Chiefs and the Eagles haven't shown that they can sustain this winning, yet. They may be back to bottom-feeding next year.

Most teams since 1990 or so that have 2 win seasons and change coaches improve to a 6 win season.

So that's what I consider a realistic expectation. I'm hoping for more and I'll be cheering the team on. But that's my expectation.
Thought I would flesh this out a bit with a couple years prior and three after. Numbers are wins:

Carolina: 12, 8, 2, 6, 7, 12
Detroit: 7, 0, 2, 6, 10, 4
KC: 9, 4, 2, 4, 10, 7 - extra, 2, 11
St. Louis: 8, 3, 2, 1, 7, 2 - extra, 7, 7
Oakland: 5, 4, 2, 4, 5, 5
Houston: 5, 7, 2, 6, 8, 8
San Fran: 10, 7, 2, 4, 7, 5

Houston Rd. 2: 10, 12, 2, ?

KC this time is an aberration. One thing does stand out though, Houston's drop was also an aberration. Only Carolina comes even moderately close. On average teams dropped 2.7 wins to get to 2. Houston dropped 10. On average teams gained 2.4 wins after being at 2.

I don't expect a KC turnaround but I do expect a bigger than normal bounce back because for the Texans it actually is a bounce back.
Old 01-11-2014   #405
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
You know, if O'Brien is looking for a stop-gap QB, no one here will like it, but he's probably looking really hard at Schaub too.
Once he reviews game film from this past season that will remove MS post haste

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #406
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
add a big ? for special teams too
No word on Ligashecky's status. High energy guy, but not sure about his results.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #407
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No word on Ligashecky's status. High energy guy, but not sure about his results.

They may want to give him a year without the suck of Marciano and see how he does on his own
Old 01-11-2014   #408
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Okay. Everything you said is a solid case to build hope on.

But expecting playoffs based on the above when the Texans don't even have a starting QB right now?

Expectation is a "strong belief that something will happen". You are free to expect whatever you want, but for myself, I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment. I'm a patient fan that knows it can take time.

Obviously, I'd love nothing more than the Texans in the playoffs in 2014. However, I'm not going to join the Fire O'Brien Club if it does not happen, and that, to me, is the difference between hope and expectation.
Count me in this category too. O'Brien will likely spend this season installing his system(s) and weeding out the guys that don't fit while finding guys that do. If we make the playoffs during this process, that's so much yummy gravy.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #409
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Count me in this category too. O'Brien will likely spend this season installing his system(s) and weeding out the guys that don't fit while finding guys that do. If we make the playoffs during this process, that's so much yummy gravy.
I'm pretty sure we have all set ourselves up for disappointment the moment we became Texans fans
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #410
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I was thinking about our QB situation if I was BOB the first thing I would do is make sure were I stand and tell Mcnair lets get real here 2014 will be a rebuilding year yeah we will still try and win but lets get real here if we win 7 games in a rebuilding year hey .....that's a up IMO

that would give me the green light to not reach for a QB in the draft if I really don't like one ...if he likes a QB tho then hey Grab him but that's your guy tho for the next 4 years tho I wouldn't take that chance

I would

Cut Yates and Keenum

then in a unpopular Decesion I would keep Matt Schaub has a stop gap Vet QB

then I would draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round .....

and that's it I would only have 2 QB's no need wasting a 3rd spot

next year I would draft a QB in the 1st round which will be a much better QB class
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #411
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
So for all you pessimists out there, why is it the Chiefs AND Eagles cleaned house and in one off-season turned it around? But the Texans with equally OR better talent, cannot?

Its because you're all whiny and hate life.
Because the overall data says those are exceptions, not the rule. For every Chief turnaround you point to, there's the Jags or the Browns or the Raiders or the Lions where that worst-to-first miracle didn't happen.

We're not pessimists. We're pragmatic.
Old 01-11-2014   #412
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91432 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Because the overall data says those are exceptions, not the rule. For every Chief turnaround you point to, there's the Jags or the Browns or the Raiders or the Lions where that worst-to-first miracle didn't happen.

We're not pessimists. We're pragmatic.
Those teams had almost ZERO talent in the turn around year. The Chiefs, Eagles and the Texans have talent
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #413
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Thought I would flesh this out a bit with a couple years prior and three after. Numbers are wins:

KC this time is an aberration. One thing does stand out though, Houston's drop was also an aberration. Only Carolina comes even moderately close. On average teams dropped 2.7 wins to get to 2. Houston dropped 10. On average teams gained 2.4 wins after being at 2.

I don't expect a KC turnaround but I do expect a bigger than normal bounce back because for the Texans it actually is a bounce back.
Aaah... thank you. Saved me a bunch of data-mining. I had already looked into the Lions and Chiefs. What you could have also mentioned is that the Lions went thru 3-4 HC's during that period. The Chiefs, I think, are on their 3rd HC just in that timeframe.
Old 01-11-2014   #414
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
I was thinking about our QB situation if I was BOB the first thing I would do is make sure were I stand and tell Mcnair lets get real here 2014 will be a rebuilding year yeah we will still try and win but lets get real here if we win 7 games in a rebuilding year hey .....that's a up IMO

that would give me the green light to not reach for a QB in the draft if I really don't like one ...if he likes a QB tho then hey Grab him but that's your guy tho for the next 4 years tho I wouldn't take that chance

I would

Cut Yates and Keenum

then in a unpopular Decesion I would keep Matt Schaub has a stop gap Vet QB

then I would draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round .....

and that's it I would only have 2 QB's no need wasting a 3rd spot

next year I would draft a QB in the 1st round which will be a much better QB class
Uh.... no.

I don't have a problem keeping Matt Schaub, but we'll have to renegotiate his contract, get his cap number. I'll look at the numbers in more detail later, but Schaub would have to be willing to take a $4M cut & know that he is competing for the starting job. I don't know if he'll go for that, but what do I know?

Our biggest issue last season was penalties on defense, the turnover battle, & our performance in the redzone. We competed with the best teams in the league. Did not allow any team, including New England to score 40 (though St Louis got close)..... our situation is definitely not as bad as our record indicates.

I agree it would be a mistake to "expect" to win 10 games or better. But it would be just as wrong to "expect" 6 or fewer. We should, imo, expect 8-8 & plan accordingly.

Like the Colts after their 2-14 season & the Chiefs after theirs, we should approach the draft & free agency as if we could win them all.
Old 01-11-2014   #415
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Those teams had almost ZERO talent in the turn around year. The Chiefs, Eagles and the Texans have talent
I actually agree with you on that point. Sort of...

At the most important position on any team, QB, we have a gaping a$$ void. How will O'Brien fill that void?? Draft one of these untested rookies? Go with a vet? Who knows..?? Will either be the right guy?

There are also questions on whether our best RB and our best LB will come back to their previous levels of production. Our secondary is a little suspect too. We haven't seen the J-Jo we got when he first got here since that one year. Will a new defensive staff regenerate him? Will they make K-Jax stop being a penalty magnet? Can they get more out of Mercilus?

There has also been some debate as to how Crennel will make use of J.J. Watt. Will he let him roam up and down the D-line like Wade did or will he try to move him out to OLB as Wade was doing with Mario.

Bottom line for me is that too many unanswered questions remain to go "all in" to predict a complete bounce back season like Bob McNair keeps preaching. Now I wouldn't be surprised to see us go 8-8/9-7 given our schedule. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see 6-10 or 7-9 while the team gels and our new QB gets the new offense down.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 01-11-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-11-2014   #416
vupac1
Veteran

Rep Power: 288 vupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Uh.... no.

I don't have a problem keeping Matt Schaub, but we'll have to renegotiate his contract, get his cap number. I'll look at the numbers in more detail later, but Schaub would have to be willing to take a $4M cut & know that he is competing for the starting job. I don't know if he'll go for that, but what do I know?

Our biggest issue last season was penalties on defense, the turnover battle, & our performance in the redzone. We competed with the best teams in the league. Did not allow any team, including New England to score 40 (though St Louis got close)..... our situation is definitely not as bad as our record indicates.

I agree it would be a mistake to "expect" to win 10 games or better. But it would be just as wrong to "expect" 6 or fewer. We should, imo, expect 8-8 & plan accordingly.

Like the Colts after their 2-14 season & the Chiefs after theirs, we should approach the draft & free agency as if we could win them all.
LOL... this is the NFL not NCAA, teams do not score into the 40s with regularity (so for STL to come close, speaks volumes)

But hey, if you wanna hang your hat on that, then you go right on ahead there, buddy.
vupac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #417
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222469 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

NOTE: When I looked at this basic issue, I only looked at teams who changed coaches. I believe Cak here is looking at win/loss trends regardless of the coach.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #418
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by vupac1 View Post
LOL... this is the NFL not NCAA, teams do not score into the 40s with regularity (so for STL to come close, speaks volumes)

But hey, if you wanna hang your hat on that, then you go right on ahead there, buddy.
Actually that was kinda tongue in cheek. our performance against New England & Green Bay in 2012 pointed to what happened in 2013.
Old 01-11-2014   #419
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222469 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But I also wouldn't be surprised to see 6-10 or 7-9 while the team gels and our new QB gets the new offense down.
This is something that's very interesting to me. I don't know if it's because of the rules changes in the NFL or what but Back In The Day, if you drafted a QB and started him, you could count on at least 1 losing season and sometimes 2+ until he developed.

We've had a lot of QBs come out and do some good stuff recently: Ben Roethlisberger, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, RGIII, Dalton, Flacco, Matt Ryan... even Sam Bradford and Ryan Tannehill, to some degree.

Like TKyss, I'm not even sure our next QB is in this draft but I'm not as worried about drafting a QB and being successful that year as I would have been a couple of years ago.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #420
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
NOTE: When I looked at this basic issue, I only looked at teams who changed coaches. I believe Cak here is looking at win/loss trends regardless of the coach.
I looked them up regardless of coaching change. But, every 2 was accompanied by a coaching change with the exception of the Lions where the 2 was the 1st year of rebuilding after the 0 year coaching change.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read