Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-10-2014   #281
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Blake Bortles

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
It's like you're arguing that there's no one who should be taken at #1. No Bridgewater, no Bortles, no Manziel.

We shouldn't take Clowney because he's not a fit in Crennel's defense.

We shouldn't waste the 1-1 pick on a guy who's going to play RT, so no Matthews.

So... I don't know.. Barr?
1st, I think we should draft the best player in the draft. Unless we fall in love with a QB. IF the Texans fall in love with one of the three, they have no choice but to take him at 1-1 (because St.Louis, Cleveland, & Jacksonville most likely will if you don't). I'm not in love with any of these guys & don't think they are any more likely to be successfull than guys like Taj Boyd, Zach Mettenberger, & Aj McCarron (<- yes, some people have taken him completely off their board, but I like what I see).

2nd, If I think Jake Matthews, Greg Robinson, or Taylor Lewan have the potential to be a franchise LT, I'm drafting one of them with the 1-1 if I'm not able to negotiate a trade that I really like. I'm not drafting him to play RT, even though he may start there as a rookie (not likely if I think he has what it takes to be a franchise LT, but he might), I'm drafting a LT. If that means that Gary's OT with the fat paycheck gets paid a lot more than the average RT... so be it. The line as a whole would be better. Much, much, on another level better.

3rd, I don't think we're going to get Crennel

4th, I think Clowney would make an awesome 3-4 OLB but I'm not drafting an OLB with the #1 overall.
Old 01-10-2014   #282
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
1st, I think we should draft the best player in the draft. Unless we fall in love with a QB. IF the Texans fall in love with one of the three, they have no choice but to take him at 1-1 (because St.Louis, Cleveland, & Jacksonville most likely will if you don't). I'm not in love with any of these guys & don't think they are any more likely to be successfull than guys like Taj Boyd, Zach Mettenberger, & Aj McCarron (<- yes, some people have taken him completely off their board, but I like what I see).

2nd, If I think Jake Matthews, Greg Robinson, or Taylor Lewan have the potential to be a franchise LT, I'm drafting one of them with the 1-1 if I'm not able to negotiate a trade that I really like. I'm not drafting him to play RT, even though he may start there as a rookie (not likely if I think he has what it takes to be a franchise LT, but he might), I'm drafting a LT. If that means that Gary's OT with the fat paycheck gets paid a lot more than the average RT... so be it. The line as a whole would be better. Much, much, on another level better.

3rd, I don't think we're going to get Crennel

4th, I think Clowney would make an awesome 3-4 OLB but I'm not drafting an OLB with the #1 overall.
That last one sounds suspiciously like the reasoning for drafting Carr over Peppers in year #1.
Errant Hothy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #283
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we go OT at #1 the only guy I'm okay with is Greg Robinson. I think he's a franchise LT, and he would also benefit from starting out at RT.

I think Matthews, Kouandjio, and Lewan are all future RTs. Matthews maybe even an OG.

My #2 LT in the draft is Richardson, and I think there's a shot he will be there at #33.

This is simplifying things big time but I like Bridgewater and Richardson more than Mettenberger and Robinson.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #284
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
If we go OT at #1 the only guy I'm okay with is Greg Robinson. I think he's a franchise LT, and he would also benefit from starting out at RT.

I think Matthews, Kouandjio, and Lewan are all future RTs. Matthews maybe even an OG.

My #2 LT in the draft is Richardson, and I think there's a shot he will be there at #33.

This is simplifying things big time but I like Bridgewater and Richardson more than Mettenberger and Robinson.
I am ok with Robinson being ranked the #1 tackle prospect (In a vacuum I think Lewan could be the best), but I cannot sign off on Robinson being the pick @#1. He is on my board in the 5-15 range.

I could be on board with grabbing Richardson at the top of the 2nd. Gotta protect our investment.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #285
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 120726 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I just simply do not agree with this line of thinking at all. This is entirely your opinion and that's fine, but I would argue that how you rank Manziel or Bortles has nothing do with how you rank Bridgewater.
That's if you're under the impression that TB is head-and-shoulders above the other choices. There's quite a few folks that don't think he's that far ahead. I see them as basically 1A, 1B and 1C at this point. We can only hope the combine and Pro days help sort this out better.

Quote:
It's like you're arguing that there's no one who should be taken at #1. No Bridgewater, no Bortles, no Manziel.

We shouldn't take Clowney because he's not a fit in Crennel's defense.

We shouldn't waste the 1-1 pick on a guy who's going to play RT, so no Matthews.
So, what's actually wrong with the argument that there's nobody worth the 1:1?

There is no consensus "lock" in this draft according to many. If Bob / Smith / BoB can deal backwards and pick up some depth, many would be hard pressed to say it was unwarranted.

So yeah, taking a guy at 1:1 if you can trade back to 1:4 and still get him is a wasted chance.

Lord knows I'm not betting on the Texans brain-trust to wow me with trades though.
Old 01-10-2014   #286
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
So, what's actually wrong with the argument that there's nobody worth the 1:1?

There is no consensus "lock" in this draft according to many. If Bob / Smith / BoB can deal backwards and pick up some depth, many would be hard pressed to say it was unwarranted.

So yeah, taking a guy at 1:1 if you can trade back to 1:4 and still get him is a wasted chance.

Lord knows I'm not betting on the Texans brain-trust to wow me with trades though.
The problem with the idea that there's no one worth 1-1 is that you've got to take someone. If no one wants to trade with you, then you've either got to give something up to induce someone to take it off your hands or you have to make a decision.

The problem is thinking that 1-1 has to be the best player in the draft and has to be the second coming of Peyton Manning. 1-1 has to be the player you think can make the biggest impact with your team that you're not going to be able to take at your next draft pick.

If a middle linebacker is the guy who's going to make the biggest impact and he's not going to be there at your next pick and no one wants to trade with you, then you take that guy with 1-1. If it's a guard or a safety, then you take that guy.

This whole argument that you don't take rush linebackers or you don't take right tackles doesn't work for me although I know a lot of people ascribe to that philosophy.

You make a decision and you roll the dice. (Assuming, like I said, you can't trade and end up in a better position.)
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #287
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 31617 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the best veteran QB available will be Matt Schaub, who I never want to see in a Texan's shirt again. I think the best QB in the draft is Bridgewater, but I don't think is 1.1 material. And I think our team's #1priority is to find a franchise QB. In short, I think in 2013, we picked the wrong season to suck.

Best outcome for me would be to trade out of 1.1 and still get TB with whatever 1st rnd pick we get from the trade.
markn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #288
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87860 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn View Post
Best outcome for me would be to trade out of 1.1 and still get TB with whatever 1st rnd pick we get from the trade.
Wish in one hand and poop in the other. If we trade out of 1.1 we're not getting Bridgewater.

And Christ almighty all these people crying about us sucking the wrong year. Last year all anyone could talk about was how bad ass this draft class was. Last year would've been WAY worse to suck so maybe we can stop crying and worrying about who is #1 overall "worthy" and just pick the best g-d QB in the draft. Oh, and that's Bridgewater and I think that's pretty obvious.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #289
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant Hothy View Post
That last one sounds suspiciously like the reasoning for drafting Carr over Peppers in year #1.
In hindsight, knowing what you know now, how would you have handled that draft?
Old 01-10-2014   #290
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Peppers or Reed, and Peppers was certainly thought of as being worthy of 1-1.
Errant Hothy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #291
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 31617 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Wish in one hand and poop in the other. If we trade out of 1.1 we're not getting Bridgewater.
I didn't say it was likey, just best possible scenario.

Quote:
And Christ almighty all these people crying about us sucking the wrong year.
Do one.

Quote:
pick the best g-d QB in the draft. Oh, and that's Bridgewater and I think that's pretty obvious.
Probably safest strategy, but unlikely to be a long term success. Agreed TB is likely the best QB in the draft.
markn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #292
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

And Christ almighty all these people crying about us sucking the wrong year. Last year all anyone could talk about was how bad ass this draft class was. Last year would've been WAY worse to suck so maybe we can stop crying and worrying about who is #1 overall "worthy" and just pick the best g-d QB in the draft. Oh, and that's Bridgewater and I think that's pretty obvious.
Completely on board with this statement. Now the draft class sux. I'm having a hard time following that logic. If your guy is there, ya snag him. Case closed, it's a wrap.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #293
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 120726 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The problem with the idea that there's no one worth 1-1 is that you've got to take someone. If no one wants to trade with you, then you've either got to give something up to induce someone to take it off your hands or you have to make a decision.

The problem is thinking that 1-1 has to be the best player in the draft and has to be the second coming of Peyton Manning.

You make a decision and you roll the dice. (Assuming, like I said, you can't trade and end up in a better position.)
I already stated you need that trading partner. As for the rest? Just "rolling the dice" is what gets you Ryan Leaf.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-10-2014   #294
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 15632 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

See, this guy gets it. The ones claiming there's no Luck in the draft are either getting senile or simply dont get it. Luck is someone who probably won't come around for 15 years. Literally one of a kind so stop using him as a measuring stick. I guess I should never settle for anything less than a Ferrari. I really hope we draft Bridgewater because a small part of me wants these posters to have to eat their words when he goes surgical on secondaries.
bOODRO87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #295
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91085 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
I am ok with Robinson being ranked the #1 tackle prospect (In a vacuum I think Lewan could be the best), but I cannot sign off on Robinson being the pick @#1. He is on my board in the 5-15 range.

I could be on board with grabbing Richardson at the top of the 2nd. Gotta protect our investment.
I don't think Lewan is a LT and I think he is very overrated. I compare him to a guy like Oher. He can step in and play some LT, but only to fill in. In reality, he's a RT.

I've said before though that Richardson is my favorite OT in this class. Bridgewater plus Richardson would be pretty awesome.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #296
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant Hothy View Post
Peppers or Reed, and Peppers was certainly thought of as being worthy of 1-1.
See... if I were from the "You have to take a chance on the QB" crowd, I'd have said Carr, because you've got to take that chance.
Old 01-10-2014   #297
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I don't think Lewan is a LT and I think he is very overrated. I compare him to a guy like Oher. He can step in and play some LT, but only to fill in. In reality, he's a RT.

I've said before though that Richardson is my favorite OT in this class. Bridgewater plus Richardson would be pretty awesome.
Wow. Didn't see that coming. I think Lewan has the size to pay LT in the pros. 4 year starter at LT for Michigan. And naaaaaaaasty which some people keep yearning for from our players. I think a team will take him in the first round, 1 year on the right, then take over permanently on the left.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #298
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 15632 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
See... if I were from the "You have to take a chance on the QB" crowd, I'd have said Carr, because you've got to take that chance.
Man, you are so right. If the Texans were to ever get another chance at the 1st pick and chose the best QB, we'd definitely get another "Carr." Let's do the Kansas City route and beef up our defense, OL, and running game. It's all won there! Quarterback - Schmotorback. Who needs it.
bOODRO87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #299
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
Man, you are so right. If the Texans were to ever get another chance at the 1st pick and chose the best QB, we'd definitely get another "Carr." Let's do the Kansas City route and beef up our defense, OL, and running game. It's all won there! Quarterback - Schmotorback. Who needs it.
That's not at all what I said. I said if you believe that a team such as ours has to take a chance on a QB now, then taking Carr in 2002 was still the right decision, even in hindsight.

I was actually coming around to your way of thinking.

But since he answered Peppers or Reed, then it's obvious he's looking for the best player in the draft (who takes a safety with the #1 overall?).

As an aside, I don't think it was a mistake to draft Carr. I think everything we did after that was.
Old 01-10-2014   #300
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was begging for peppers first and I wanted us to sign Trent Dilfer as a free agent. There were way better QB's coming out the next year. It wasn't like we were going to make the playoffs our first year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read