Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-10-2014   #381
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
So, let me get something straight here..

Is a "KC turnaround" something you're hoping will happen, or are you actually expecting it to happen?

If you are on the "expecting it to happen", I'm going with speedfreek's take, hands down. I'm not drinking any of that Bob's 'I expect to win now' Kool-aid.
I hope for a 1 year turnaround, but I expect a rebuild of 2-3 seasons.

I've said it all along. New HC, new staff, new schemes, new QB. Any one of those is an uphill battle. All of them? It's rebuild time with some of the same building materials in place (i.e. AJ, JJ, etc.).

Anyone expecting / demanding playoffs next year is drunk on McNair's koolaide. No insult intended, but it's just not a pragmatic perspective.

And I do not fault McNair for serving the koolaide. It's his job as owner, to always put the best spin on it for a variety of reasons. Unfortunately, his spin is powerful stuff, and a lot of fans are buying into it without looking big picture.
Old 01-10-2014   #382
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Dude, express your opinion. Like you just did here. That's well thought out. The opinion is garbage imo for various reasons but at least it has some thought behind it.

But you haven't been expressing well thought out views. You're just taking pot shots at every decision made.

That's what is landing you on ignore lists, not because you're not a sunshine pumper. And BTW, I don't think the majority are Sunshine Pumpers - we (or at least me) are just excited about the coaching staff being assembled. It's actually possible to have a view that is positive toward the Texans without being a sunshine pumper.
Yeah, that and bottom quoting. But maybe that's just me.

For the record, I'm ecstatic about the staff BO'B is assembling. Where's SH now? He'd have a hard time selling McNair is CHEAP now.

Go Texans~!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #383
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Yeah, that and bottom quoting. But maybe that's just me.
It's not just you. He has been asked repeatedly to quote normally. It's annoying as hell.
Old 01-10-2014   #384
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
It's not just you. He has been asked repeatedly to quote normally. It's annoying as hell.
All righty then. I feel better now. Now if folks will stop quoting his posts, for all intents and purposes, he won't exist.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #385
acal21
Rookie

Rep Power: 1938 acal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mike Munchack being interviewed as office of line coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
If we change everything, all position coaches, blocking schemes,
etc. Then we're going to need at least another year just to
figure out new terminology and find out which players are going
to work in the new schemes (possibly out of position)
and which ones are not!
You really think that a team can not learn a scheme in less than a year? And do really think new position coaches makes a player forget everything he already learned?

I know an NFL playbook is probably 100 times more complicated than anything I've ever had to learn but its their job to learn it
Old 01-10-2014   #386
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I hope for a 1 year turnaround, but I expect a rebuild of 2-3 seasons.
We're in the worst division in football. 4 of our 6 games will be against two franchises that have shown no ability to field a competent NFL team in recent history. (Sure, they beat us in 2013).

Then we'll play the AFC North. Two more games against struggling franchises (Steelers & Browns).

Then two more games against the worst teams in the other two divisions. Oakland & Buffalo.

Lastly, we play the worst division in the NFC. The Giants & Eagles have reason to believe they'll fare better in 2014. The Cowboys, not so much, & the Redskins are in the same position we are.

That's 10 games against 10 teams that have no business winning any more than we do.
Old 01-10-2014   #387
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We're in the worst division in football. 4 of our 6 games will be against two franchises that have shown no ability to field a competent NFL team in recent history. (Sure, they beat us in 2013).

Then we'll play the AFC North. Two more games against struggling franchises (Steelers & Browns).

Then two more games against the worst teams in the other two divisions. Oakland & Buffalo.

Lastly, we play the worst division in the NFC. The Giants & Eagles have reason to believe they'll fare better in 2014. The Cowboys, not so much, & the Redskins are in the same position we are.

That's 10 games against 10 teams that have no business winning any more than we do.
Okay. Everything you said is a solid case to build hope on.

But expecting playoffs based on the above when the Texans don't even have a starting QB right now?

Expectation is a "strong belief that something will happen". You are free to expect whatever you want, but for myself, I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment. I'm a patient fan that knows it can take time.

Obviously, I'd love nothing more than the Texans in the playoffs in 2014. However, I'm not going to join the Fire O'Brien Club if it does not happen, and that, to me, is the difference between hope and expectation.
Old 01-10-2014   #388
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
“We’ve still got a couple of places to fill,” McNair said Friday.

“Hopefully we’ll even know today on some of those. I think they could be dynamite if we can pull those off.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...0-daa1c85ffb83

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #389
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

But expecting playoffs based on the above when the Texans don't even have a starting QB right now?
10 wins does not guarantee we'll make the play offs. All I'm saying is that it's not as hard to start "winning" again. 60% of our schedule aren't much (if any) better than we are at the QB position.

Gabbert (x2)
Locker (x2)
Pryor??
Manuel
Weeden/Hoyer
Griffin
Foles
Roethlisberger
Romo

Everyone of them are probably more scared of us than we are of them.
Old 01-10-2014   #390
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 51991 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

So for all you pessimists out there, why is it the Chiefs AND Eagles cleaned house and in one off-season turned it around? But the Texans with equally OR better talent, cannot?

Its because you're all whiny and hate life.
Old 01-10-2014   #391
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40389 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
So for all you pessimists out there, why is it the Chiefs AND Eagles cleaned house and in one off-season turned it around? But the Texans with equally OR better talent, cannot?

Sometimes I feel like some fans would be bitching no matter what, even if we won the SB - wrong coach, wrong scheme, we didn't win-they lost, McNair is still too cheap, etc, etc, etc. What's the point of being a fan if you're never happy? RIGHT NOW is the best time to be optimistic if you're a Texans fan.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #392
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Expectation is a "strong belief that something will happen". You are free to expect whatever you want, but for myself, I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment. I'm a patient fan that knows it can take time.

Obviously, I'd love nothing more than the Texans in the playoffs in 2014. However, I'm not going to join the Fire O'Brien Club if it does not happen, and that, to me, is the difference between hope and expectation.
No different than the people who were crowning the colts division/SB champs before luck even took a snap in the NFL, hell before they even drafted him. Is there a Luck in this years draft ? Well we know there isnt one with the hype that luck had, but there could be one or even one better. Key is do we get him ?
Old 01-10-2014   #393
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah, and if they DON'T make a turn around in one season, you'll be the first one out of the gate being all whiny and hating life.

Being excited and optimistic doesn't mean that you have to lose your head.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #394
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm normally a sun-shiner and by the time the draft rolls around, I'm sure I'll be looking for the bright side of everything.

But.

The Miami Dolphins went 1-15 and then the next year (playing a last place schedule), they went 11-5 and went to the playoffs. And a couple more years of <50% winning after that and the coach was fired and they were trying again.

The Chiefs and the Eagles haven't shown that they can sustain this winning, yet. They may be back to bottom-feeding next year.

Most teams since 1990 or so that have 2 win seasons and change coaches improve to a 6 win season.

So that's what I consider a realistic expectation. I'm hoping for more and I'll be cheering the team on. But that's my expectation.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #395
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Here's another one that makes me laugh . .

"I want a head coach who hold his players accountable!"

In other words, you want someone who publicly throws his players under the bus, just so it will make you feel better.

Another one ..

All this Belichick nonsense, and how all the Patriots do is win. We'll see how far down the tracks that gravy train rolls when Brady hangs up his cleats.
11-5 with Matt Cassell at QB is good enough for me.

Cassell will be the vet QB pickup if they hold true to form.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #396
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

If they hold true to form, they'll steer away from Matt Cassell and I doubt the staff is even thinking about him.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #397
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89506 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
If they hold true to form, they'll steer away from Matt Cassell and I doubt the staff is even thinking about him.
Cassel was drafted in 2005 and O'Brien was not on the pats then. It is fair to say the Texans will bring in a vet? I think it's also fair to say a qb familiar with O'Brien or an O'Brien offense is reasonable speculation. I think it's a solid guess by steele to think what he does. We have seen a tendency thus far for coaches O'Brien knows...you don't think O'Brien will pursue players he knows?
Old 01-11-2014   #398
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Cassel was drafted in 2005 and O'Brien was not on the pats then. It is fair to say the Texans will bring in a vet? I think it's also fair to say a qb familiar with O'Brien or an O'Brien offense is reasonable speculation. I think it's a solid guess by steele to think what he does. We have seen a tendency thus far for coaches O'Brien knows...you don't think O'Brien will pursue players he knows?
It is fair to say the Texans will bring in vet in, but it won't be Matt Cassel. Matt Cassel was a aberration that season (11-5) and moved on to get coaches that will most likely be on this staff fired... as well as a past G.M., which is why O'Brien knows him and won't bring him in.

I highly doubt O'Brien even looks up Cassel's phone # when he does look for a vet. I'd put better odds on him keeping a younger player already on staff like Keenum to back up than to bring in Matt Cassel. If O'Brien does go for a seasoned vet to mentor his young QB (assuming we take one high) and teach him the ropes and what to do and not do.. it isn't going to be Matt Cassel, because despite all of the time Cassel has spent in the league, he still hasn't figured those things out yet. I'd rather have Schaub on the sidelines doing that job.

People keep talking about the "Kansas City turn around" in this thread.. They've had a loaded team for a couple of years now. All they had to do was cut ties with the anchor that was Matt Cassel, the guy that made bone headed play after bone headed play, and kept turning the ball over. As soon as they hired a guy who's known for protecting the ball they instantly vaulted towards contention.

So no thanks.. I'm high on the O'Brien hire, but if he even things about bringing in Cassel I'll have to start questioning his decision making regarding that position.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #399
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
You speak of this "tendency" as if it's a bad thing. He's a new NFL head coach. He doesn't have much time to build a staff. You can't name one head coach in the history of the NFL who did things any differently. The real test will be on hires beyond this season.

But yes, it makes sense for him to look at players he's familiar with. If you believe the QB was our biggest issue, then getting a QB familiar with what O'Brien wants to do should help us get to winning. If you're against winning & all about a rookie QB, that's fine. Personally, I want to win & I want to draft our future QB. But I don't want to over commit to the rookie, or to the veteran.

& to further your point, O'Brien was with the patriots from 2007-2011.
Quote:
On February 21, 2008, O'Brien was promoted to wide receivers coach.[8] He became the quarterbacks coach and offensive play-caller following the 2008 season after the departure of quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. He was promoted to offensive coordinator in February 2011.
Cassell's great season was 2008, under Josh McDaniels.

If O'Brien is thinking about Cassell, I'd think he's at the bottom of the list.

Mallet
Hoyer
Cassell
Old 01-11-2014   #400
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
You speak of this "tendency" as if it's a bad thing. He's a new NFL head coach. He doesn't have much time to build a staff. You can't name one head coach in the history of the NFL who did things any differently. The real test will be on hires beyond this season.

But yes, it makes sense for him to look at players he's familiar with. If you believe the QB was our biggest issue, then getting a QB familiar with what O'Brien wants to do should help us get to winning. If you're against winning & all about a rookie QB, that's fine. Personally, I want to win & I want to draft our future QB. But I don't want to over commit to the rookie, or to the veteran.

& to further your point, O'Brien was with the patriots from 2007-2011.
Cassell's great season was 2008, under Josh McDaniels.

If O'Brien is thinking about Cassell, I'd think he's at the bottom of the list.

Mallet
Hoyer
Cassell
You know, if O'Brien is looking for a stop-gap QB, no one here will like it, but he's probably looking really hard at Schaub too.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read