Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-10-2014   #341
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs

lol at the idea that O'Brien needs coaches to hold his hands. That's just absurd and most likely side effects from drinking too much hatorade.

A basic understanding of NFL history reveals the cycles that coaches go through as they get hired and fired. The only head coaches that never seem to pop back up as assistants are the ones with Super Bowl championship rings.

But, it is quite common (and always has been) for head coaches to get fired and go back to positions that they excelled at before getting a head coaching gig. Even head coaches who have lost Super Bowls get recycled as assistants. Just look at Ken Whisenhunt, who led the Cardinals to a Super Bowl and is now OC for the Chargers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I see no confusion here. What do you think looks confusing about these possible moves? Just curious. What am I missing?

It looks to me like they're going after higher profile coaches than in the past but all of them make sense to me.
I agree. I think McNair has told O'Brien to hire the best coaches at every position, regardless of money. I don't think O'Brien is going about this haphazardly, but rather putting talented minds in position at all facets of the team so everyone is getting high caliber coaching.

O'Brien strikes me as a guy that is not threatened by the coaches around him. You see this in the great coaches, too. They surround themselves with the best staff they can get without concerning themselves about potential future scenarios.

And so much for "bottom line Bob" after this off-season. Hopefully his critics will find something based in reality to criticize in the future.
Old 01-10-2014   #342
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87860 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh my god this speedfreak guy cries about EVERYTHING! Ignore list!
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #343
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 71928 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Oh my god this speedfreak guy cries about EVERYTHING! Ignore list!
It gets old quick, doesn't it?
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #344
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87860 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollardized View Post
It gets old quick, doesn't it?
Man, I swear I went from 2 people on it from the beginning of the season and now it's at 6 with this recent addition. This dude seriously thinks every move we're making sucks and is rocking a freaking Wade Phillips av who fielded the worst defense at takeaways in NFL history.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #345
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
Mangini as OC? WTF?

Sounds like BOB is surrounding himself with former head coaches
for a reason -- like maybe he feels the need for a lot of hand-holding.

Not happy with that thought..
Lance Zierline said that, not Bob O'Brien.
Old 01-10-2014   #346
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Lance Zierline said that, not Bob O'Brien.
Who is Bob O'Brien?
Old 01-10-2014   #347
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 71928 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
Who is Bob O'Brien?
Dang did we change coaches again?
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #348
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who is Bob O'Brien?
He's best friends with Bill O'Brian.
Old 01-10-2014   #349
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Friends? I would imagine they're somehow related. Cousin? An uncle perhaps?
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #350
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who is Bob O'Brien?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Friends? I would imagine they're somehow related. Cousin? An uncle perhaps?
Nah - they don't even have the same last names.
Old 01-10-2014   #351
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
lol at the idea that O'Brien needs coaches to hold his hands. That's just absurd and most likely side effects from drinking too much hatorade.

A basic understanding of NFL history reveals the cycles that coaches go through as they get hired and fired. The only head coaches that never seem to pop back up as assistants are the ones with Super Bowl championship rings.

But, it is quite common (and always has been) for head coaches to get fired and go back to positions that they excelled at before getting a head coaching gig. Even head coaches who have lost Super Bowls get recycled as assistants. Just look at Ken Whisenhunt, who led the Cardinals to a Super Bowl and is now OC for the Chargers.

I agree. I think McNair has told O'Brien to hire the best coaches at every position, regardless of money. I don't think O'Brien is going about this haphazardly, but rather putting talented minds in position at all facets of the team so everyone is getting high caliber coaching.

O'Brien strikes me as a guy that is not threatened by the coaches around him. You see this in the great coaches, too. They surround themselves with the best staff they can get without concerning themselves about potential future scenarios.

And so much for "bottom line Bob" after this off-season. Hopefully his critics will find something based in reality to criticize in the future.
Agree with this. It's possible that McNair told him to get the best coaches.

My only concern with Munchack is I don't want the media and fans here fawning all over him, and getting all nostalgic about the Oilers days. John McClain has already said that getting Munchak and Matthews (what, are they a package deal?) would be "magical."

Screw that. Screw the Oilers. We are the Texans, and this is Bill O'Brien's team.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #352
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

Agree. People are treating this guy like he is a newbie right out of the college ranks. He was in the NFL with the Pats doing good things before Penn St. He has been in Brady's face. Nobody needs to hold this guys hand. Bring in as many top guys as you can. Most SB teams have strong staffs from top to bottom.
Old 01-10-2014   #353
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Agree with this. It's possible that McNair told him to get the best coaches.

My only concern with Munchack is I don't want the media and fans here fawning all over him, and getting all nostalgic about the Oilers days. John McClain has already said that getting Munchak and Matthews (what, are they a package deal?) would be "magical."

Screw that. Screw the Oilers. We are the Texans, and this is Bill O'Brien's team.

And if your head coach thinks those two are the best for said spots you should get over the Oiler connection
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #354
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 43270 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who is Bill O'Brian?
Old 01-10-2014   #355
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57261 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

I love the staff that BOB is assembling. Vrabel, Munch, Romeo. These are some damn good names. Of course, just like a draft, it's all on paper, but I agree with DB - it looks like McNair is rolling out the red carpet.

As for the hand holding comment, that's just absurd garbage. A man in a leadership position hiring people that could easily take his job says a lot about a man to me. And in a very good way. If BOB hired a bunch of youngins for the job, he'd be complaining about how there was no experience, no "cache", the players wouldn't respect him, he just wanted some cheap yes men, etc.

It's obvious speedfreak doesn't like the hire. I think I could respect him more if he just said I don't like the BOB hire, and stop with the nonsensical comments.

Granted, we don't know how good of a coach BOB or any of the assistants are until the lights come on, but the track record speaks for itself I think.

As to Munch, that would be a fabulous hire. And to say no nostalgia or thinking this is Texans screw the Oilers - as a longtime suffering Oiler fan who idolized Munch and Matthews back in the day, that's rather abrasive and offensive. Besides that, Munch was known as a very good Oline coach. The hire would be because he is a great coach not because he had ties to Houston - the nostalgia for the bygone days of old is just the icing on the cake for me.
Old 01-10-2014   #356
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mike Munchack being interviewed as office of line coach

Because the farther away we get from anything remotely close
to what we did last year -- the closer we are to having a 2-14
season and the farther we are away from a KC type turnaround.

My biggest fear is for a guy like AJ to have to go through a total
rebuild. (he deserves better than that..)

What will JJ do in free agency if we pull another 10+ loss season?

And all of you guys wanting to put me on ignore -- do it.
I don't want to join into your "yes man" circle jerk.

Just because I think we are headed in the wrong direction doesn't
mean that I'm a bad fan. The tickets I've spent money on in the
past disagrees with your assumption.

I just refuse to fart rainbows and sing kumbaya when I see what
I believe to be 6 more years of mediocrity on the horizon..

"Forums" are supposed to be where people can express these types
of opinions. If they aren't welcome here than this place is
becoming more of a cliquey teen "girls club" than a place where football
fans can really toss ideas around..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
I don;t understand why some folks are so hung up on what the previous staff did. Zone blocking, 3-4, zone, etc...it's a new era. If Munchack gets the OL to sing the D to sleep, who gives a ****? It'll be a step up from last year when the OL tried to tire the D to sleep by letting them run wild.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #357
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Who is Bill O'Brian?
He's best friends with Bob O'Brien.
Old 01-10-2014   #358
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 43270 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mike Munchack being interviewed as office of line coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
Because the farther away we get from anything remotely close
to what we did last year -- the closer we are to having a 2-14
season and the farther we are away from a KC type turnaround.

My biggest fear is for a guy like AJ to have to go through a total
rebuild. (he deserves better than that..)

What will JJ do in free agency if we pull another 10+ loss season?

And all of you guys wanting to put me on ignore -- do it.
I don't want to join into your "yes man" circle jerk.

Just because I think we are headed in the wrong direction doesn't
mean that I'm a bad fan. The tickets I've spent money on in the
past disagrees with your assumption.

I just refuse to fart rainbows and sing kumbaya when I see what
I believe to be 6 more years of mediocrity on the horizon..

"Forums" are supposed to be where people can express these types
of opinions. If they aren't welcome here than this place is
becoming more of a cliquey teen "girls club" than a place where football
fans can really toss ideas around..
Wha??? The farther we get from the crap of last years 2-14, the closer we get to 2-14 crap? C'MON MAN!
Old 01-10-2014   #359
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
I love the staff that BOB is assembling. Vrabel, Munch, Romeo. These are some damn good names. Of course, just like a draft, it's all on paper, but I agree with DB - it looks like McNair is rolling out the red carpet.

As for the hand holding comment, that's just absurd garbage. A man in a leadership position hiring people that could easily take his job says a lot about a man to me. And in a very good way. If BOB hired a bunch of youngins for the job, he'd be complaining about how there was no experience, no "cache", the players wouldn't respect him, he just wanted some cheap yes men, etc.

It's obvious speedfreak doesn't like the hire. I think I could respect him more if he just said I don't like the BOB hire, and stop with the nonsensical comments.

Granted, we don't know how good of a coach BOB or any of the assistants are until the lights come on, but the track record speaks for itself I think.

As to Munch, that would be a fabulous hire. And to say no nostalgia or thinking this is Texans screw the Oilers - as a longtime suffering Oiler fan who idolized Munch and Matthews back in the day, that's rather abrasive and offensive. Besides that, Munch was known as a very good Oline coach. The hire would be because he is a great coach not because he had ties to Houston - the nostalgia for the bygone days of old is just the icing on the cake for me.

My intent was not to offend Oiler fans. Maybe I don't get it because I'm not from here originally. But, let's be real: the Oilers no longer exist. Getting nostalgic about them is fine. I'm just saying I don't want a Munchak and potential Matthews hire to get all of the attention and deflect from what O'Brien is trying to build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #360
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57261 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude, express your opinion. Like you just did here. That's well thought out. The opinion is garbage imo for various reasons but at least it has some thought behind it.

But you haven't been expressing well thought out views. You're just taking pot shots at every decision made.

That's what is landing you on ignore lists, not because you're not a sunshine pumper. And BTW, I don't think the majority are Sunshine Pumpers - we (or at least me) are just excited about the coaching staff being assembled. It's actually possible to have a view that is positive toward the Texans without being a sunshine pumper.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read