Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-09-2014   #261
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

Old 01-09-2014   #262
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 01-09-2014   #263
revan
Veteran

Old 01-09-2014   #264
revan
Veteran

Old 01-09-2014   #265
revan
Veteran

Old 01-09-2014   #266
revan
Veteran

Old 01-09-2014   #267
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I agree. I hate the way folks act like the players all come with little objectively graded bar codes and you just line them up - then yell at anything not done in conformance with the imaginary value.
Madden mentality. Every player has an overall grade and you can never pass on the player with the highest overall, even if it is only one point higher.

It's a silly system.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #268
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I understand the concept just fine. What I disagree with is the folks who think they can line everybody up in precise "best player" order. It's ridiculous on so many fronts. For instance, these discussions act like the "best players" all line up single file. They don't. Taking someone who may go 10 spots down may still be taking a player of equal talent level. It creates a strategic opportunity to attempt a trade but if one can't be wrangled taking any of them there is not a reach. It's really should be considered the next ballpark of talent approach.
Sounds to me your biggest issue is with the name. BPA doesn't mean you take the next name on the list. Just because lot of message board mock drafters take it that way doesn't mean that is how it's done. Anyone that's been around long enough should know this.
Old 01-09-2014   #269
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
A team that beat the Texans twice....so what does that make any QB who goes to Houston?
Don't kid yourself, Jax beat the Texans because of the incompetence on the Texans coaching staff, not because of the talent of Jax.

Jax has absolutely no talent on their roster that compares to the talent on the Texans roster. They are even parting ways with their best offensive player...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #270
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Don't kid yourself, Jax beat the Texans because of the incompetence on the Texans coaching staff, not because of the talent of Jax.

Jax has absolutely no talent on their roster that compares to the talent on the Texans roster. They are even parting ways with their best offensive player...
I don't try to kid myself. I do try to deal in reality. That's what the scoreboard is. The scoreboard is what the scoreboard says, I also don't try to make excuses for it. I also don't try to drink the McNair Koolaid, like so many others. The scoreboard says Bob McNair has been either misguided, misled, misinformed or all of the above if he honestly believes he has a talented Super Bowl contending team.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #271
revan
Veteran

I'm starting to watch the replays UCFs games now on watchespn. I'm on the third game vs Penn St, kinda cool seeing our new HC BoB in action.
Old 01-10-2014   #272
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
I'm starting to watch the replays UCFs games now on watchespn. I'm on the third game vs Penn St, kinda cool seeing our new HC BoB in action.
What is watchespn and how do I get it
Old 01-10-2014   #273
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
On this we disagree. Unlike many who have been in love with Teddy since the Sugar Bowl and who still are to this day, I started the season with Manziel and Boyd as my 2 top QBs. I also thought that David Fales would be in the discussion as a Top 5 QB. Boyd had a much better Peach Bowl vs Teddy's Sugar Bowl. While Teddy played a good game much of Louisville's success in that game came from their defense, Florida's 3 turnovers and Jeff Driskel's horrible play (a pick six to start the game).

When the season started Winston and Bortles were not even on my radar. Bortles blipped when he almost beat S Caro and Winston showed up after dismantling Clemson. It was only after watching several games from the top 10 QBs in this draft, that I decided sometime in November, that the Top 3 QBs in this year for me were Winston, Manziel and Bortles. Winston is not eligible for the draft, I believe Manziel has as much affinity for drinking beer as he does playing football and Bortles has the best arm and highest ceiling of them all. Next to Manziel, Bortles runs best and only runs when he has to and when he needs to make things happen.

Now if that is being biased, well then, I guess I am biased. Unlike you and many others, your love for Teddy has never wavered since last years Sugar Bowl. You think I am biased because I don't share your love for Teddy. If you think all my other information is good, why is my evaluation of Bortles flawed and bias?
The bolded is why folks might think you're biased...me included. Bridgewater has been rumored to be potentially the top pick..or at least top 5 in the draft for basically 2 years now...& you pretty much go out of your way to discredit him.

Meanwhile, I don't think Bortles was on anyone's radar as potentially the best qb and top pick in the draft until here recently in the last month or so. For your part you admittedly say that Bortles wasn't even on your radar........until he had 1 nice showing against an SEC team.....that wasn't even that nice imo.

Here's another thing. TB & Bortles both played in the AAC. So why is it that people discredit the AAC competition when talking about TB & what he did against them.... but ignore it for the most part when talking about Bortles?
What Bortles' team did this year is what TB team did last year except:

TB's game statistically was better
The team TB faced was better imo
TB looked much more comfortable on the big stage than Bortles did

In all honesty, the only thing that Bortles really has on TB is that he looks more the part than TB. If his arm is stronger, its neglible imo.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #274
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Here's another thing. TB & Bortles both played in the AAC. So why is it that people discredit the AAC competition when talking about TB & what he did against them.... but ignore it for the most part when talking about Bortles?
What Bortles' team did this year is what TB team did last year except:
The Bortles faction isn't as big as the Bridgewater group. I don't think anyone here really thinks Bortles is an option at 1-1.

I don't. I don't think Manziel is either, which is why I'm saying Bridgewater shouldn't be either. I won't argue that he's better than both guys. I don't care if he is or isn't. I don't believe he is. But if you do, I argue he can't be much better.

So unless you think Manziel or Bortles are top 5 talents in this draft, we shouldn't be talking about Bridgewater at 1-1.

I have no doubt that the Jags & Browns are likely to draft two of the three in the top 5..... but we shouldn't be planning how we're going to attack the draft because of what 2 of the worst franchises in the league do, unless we're fine with being among them as one of the worst franchises in the league. Unless you're fine with mediocrity. Unless you're fine with losing.
Old 01-10-2014   #275
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The Bortles faction isn't as big as the Bridgewater group. I don't think anyone here really thinks Bortles is an option at 1-1.

I don't. I don't think Manziel is either, which is why I'm saying Bridgewater shouldn't be either. I won't argue that he's better than both guys. I don't care if he is or isn't. I don't believe he is. But if you do, I argue he can't be much better.

So unless you think Manziel or Bortles are top 5 talents in this draft, we shouldn't be talking about Bridgewater at 1-1.

I have no doubt that the Jags & Browns are likely to draft two of the three in the top 5..... but we shouldn't be planning how we're going to attack the draft because of what 2 of the worst franchises in the league do, unless we're fine with being among them as one of the worst franchises in the league. Unless you're fine with mediocrity. Unless you're fine with losing.
Better is better....period....and if you can afford it, you always pick the best of whatever. You don't not pick the best just b/c you may be able to get something else similar cheaper... This is the situation the Texans are in with 1:1. You have the opportunity to pick who you think is the best...so pick the best...doesn't matter how much better...or even what position it is...well actually, the position does kinda matter at that slot.

Alot of it has to do with the teams at the top of the draft board (qb needy), but as i said with TB, if you are thought to be good enough to go top 5, you're good enough to be picked 1:1 overall. Many draftniks have Bortles going top 5. Hell, LZ/John Harris has him as ranked as the #1 prospect overall i believe.

As far as the rest of your post, It doesn't really make sense. Everyone's board is different, but not as much when it comes to the top 5 picks. In essesnce what you're saying is that we shouldn't look at Teddy or any other qb if the jags & browns don't have them ranked the same or are already looking at drafting either of the 3....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #276
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Meanwhile, I don't think Bortles was on anyone's radar as potentially the best qb and top pick in the draft until here recently in the last month or so. For your part you admittedly say that Bortles wasn't even on your radar........until he had 1 nice showing against an SEC team.....that wasn't even that nice imo.
I find it hilarious that a guy like McShay didn't even know who Bortles was 6 months ago but now has him going top 10 in his mocks. The recent media attention has boosted his "stock" from the 2nd round to top 10 and possibly #1 in a span of 3-4 games.

FWIW, Bortles has been on my radar since the beginning of his Sophomore year in 2012. Was very impressed with him in the Ohio State game and, although he eventually lost the game because of turnovers, he showed a lot of promise. I still don't see him as the top QB and don't think I will. He has the physical makeup that Bridgewater and Manziel lack and that is why he is so popular with the draftniks right now.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #277
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just simply do not agree with this line of thinking at all. This is entirely your opinion and that's fine, but I would argue that how you rank Manziel or Bortles has nothing do with how you rank Bridgewater.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #278
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Trade
Old 01-10-2014   #279
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's like you're arguing that there's no one who should be taken at #1. No Bridgewater, no Bortles, no Manziel.

We shouldn't take Clowney because he's not a fit in Crennel's defense.

We shouldn't waste the 1-1 pick on a guy who's going to play RT, so no Matthews.

So... I don't know.. Barr?

But ultimately, the flaw is thinking that Bridgewater, Bortles, and Manziel can't be at the very top of a professional team's list of prospects. Based on football IQ, I expect Bridgewater to be the top of BOB's list but if Bortles or Manziel really shine at the combine and have really good interviews and BOB sees things on film that he likes from them, any of them could be deemed good for the 1-1 pick.

Remember, there were a lot of people who didn't want Peyton Manning with the 1-1 pick. So just saying there are people who don't want Bortles with 1-1 doesn't carry any real weight.

It's up to our FO to look at all the alternatives and figure out which one is going to do the most to improve our team. If that means drafting Clowney or Barr and then trading back up to get Boyd at the top of the 1st or if it means drafting Bortles at 1-1 or trading back for more picks or whatever.

But to basically argue that there's no one worthy of the pick is just not right.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #280
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36122 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm in the Bridgewater group, but I keep hearing that Bortles is a "Bill O'Brien type passer". So I definitely think Bortles could be a legitimate option at 1.1 for us.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read