Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-09-2014   #1
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wolf6151 Houston Texans 2014 Mock Draft #3

A few assumptions first:

*We stay with the 3-4 defense but a more traditional 2 gap version.
*We lose/cut the following players Antonio Smith, Wade Smith, Matt Schaub, Ben Tate, Derek Newton, Darryl Sharpton, and possibly OD.

1. Teddy Bridgewater-QB, this pick needs no explanation.
2. Stephon Tuitt-DE, great size, speed, and athleticism. This pick might take a little luck but I've seen several mocks that have him going in the early 2nd round so it's a realistic pick.
3. Jeremiah Attaochu-OLB, very good first step, speed, and athleticism but needs to learn some pass rush moves. Frees us up to move Reed inside and fix 2 positions with 1 pick.
4. JaWaun James-OT, 3yr. starter at RT in the SEC. Good knee bend, lateral movement, and quickness/athleticism. This might also take some luck but again I've seen many mock draft with James in the 4th round.
5. Jaylen Watkins-CB, added secondary depth or possible nickle. I like his height and speed, probably would have started for many other college teams.
6. Max Bullough-ILB, added ILB depth. Good size, tenacity, and athleticism. Team captain for the best college defense this year. This depends on what his team rule violations were that got him suspended for the Mich. St. bowl game.
7. Bruce Gaston-DT, good size to play 3-4 NT for our D-line rotation. Good college productivity for a NT and frees us up to move Mitchell to DE depth along with Crick.

If we get a comp. pick I'd probably take some O-line depth like Ryan Groy, or Andrew Norwell, or Spencer Long depending on his injury.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #2
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wolf6151 Houston Texans 2014 Mock Draft #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
A few assumptions first:

*We stay with the 3-4 defense but a more traditional 2 gap version.
*We lose/cut the following players Antonio Smith, Wade Smith, Matt Schaub, Ben Tate, Derek Newton, Darryl Sharpton, and possibly OD.

1. Teddy Bridgewater-QB, this pick needs no explanation.
2. Stephon Tuitt-DE, great size, speed, and athleticism. This pick might take a little luck but I've seen several mocks that have him going in the early 2nd round so it's a realistic pick.
3. Jeremiah Attaochu-OLB, very good first step, speed, and athleticism but needs to learn some pass rush moves. Frees us up to move Reed inside and fix 2 positions with 1 pick.
4. JaWaun James-OT, 3yr. starter at RT in the SEC. Good knee bend, lateral movement, and quickness/athleticism. This might also take some luck but again I've seen many mock draft with James in the 4th round.
5. Jaylen Watkins-CB, added secondary depth or possible nickle. I like his height and speed, probably would have started for many other college teams.
6. Max Bullough-ILB, added ILB depth. Good size, tenacity, and athleticism. Team captain for the best college defense this year. This depends on what his team rule violations were that got him suspended for the Mich. St. bowl game.
7. Bruce Gaston-DT, good size to play 3-4 NT for our D-line rotation. Good college productivity for a NT and frees us up to move Mitchell to DE depth along with Crick.

If we get a comp. pick I'd probably take some O-line depth like Ryan Groy, or Andrew Norwell, or Spencer Long depending on his injury.
With a little luck this could be the foundation for a great Texans future.

Great job
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014   #3
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like this draft.

What schools are Watkins and Gaston from?
Old 01-09-2014   #4
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I like this draft.

What schools are Watkins and Gaston from?
Watkins played for Florida, and Gaston went to Purdue.
Old 01-09-2014   #5
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Watkins played for Florida, and Gaston went to Purdue.
Thanks Wolf, checked out some reports on those guys.

They read like guys who are late round picks for a reason.

Watkins versatility could be useful and Gaston seems like the kind of guy to be able and happy to tie up blockers with some development.
Old 01-09-2014   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179094 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like it , a QB , 5 tech , RT , OLB , ILB plugs biggest needs .
Old 01-10-2014   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

First pick is a no brainer, best player most important position but after that each guy is really slotted to go higher than you project. Would be wonderful if true & would run like hell up to the podium for each pick.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2014   #8
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
First pick is a no brainer, best player most important position but after that each guy is really slotted to go higher than you project. Would be wonderful if true & would run like hell up to the podium for each pick.
I thought the same thing especially with Tuitt and James but have seen numerous mocks with Tuitt going in the early-mid 2nd round and several with James going in the 4th and even 5th round. Since we're drafting at the very begining of each round I think they're possible/realistic. I'd really like to add a FS and some O-line depth but we just don't have enough picks.
Old 01-10-2014   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought the same thing especially with Tuitt and James but have seen numerous mocks with Tuitt going in the early-mid 2nd round and several with James going in the 4th and even 5th round. Since we're drafting at the very begining of each round I think they're possible/realistic. I'd really like to add a FS and some O-line depth but we just don't have enough picks.
yeah & I would like to mock Clinton-Dix with the first pick of the 2nd rd.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #10
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice mock. Fills alot of needs. Nets us a starting QB and 5 tech for our 3-4.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #11
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Nice mock. Fills alot of needs. Nets us a starting QB and 5 tech for our 3-4.
I think Bridgewater and Tuitt are definite starters. I think Attaochu and Trevardo Williams would battle for the starting OLB spot after moving Reed to ILB. I think James would be the starting RT and Quessenberry the starting LG. Watkins would be depth in the secondary, maybe play in nickle or dime packages, and a contributor on special teams. Bullough would be the primary backup to Cushing and Reed as well as playing special teams. Gaston could be a starter at NT or at least rotational depth.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read